what discounts do I miss when buying from dvc resale

zobow02

Mouseketeer
I had a couple of questions regarding purchasing from dvc resale. I know I won't get a discount on AP's. However I didn't know what other discounts I will miss.
Will I miss...
The free parking at the resorts?
The discounts on merchandise and dining?
And are there any other discounts I will miss?

0t5d2tws02iud9z5.png

p07jmt826ggbhx2x.png

You lose out on “Membership Magic” benefits. The restrictions on dining and merchandise discounts are vague, so I would expect to continue to receive those. Discounts on tickets, access to member events, and access to the Epcot member lounge are restricted.

Will I miss...
The free parking at the resorts?
No, that is paid for with dues

The discounts on merchandise and dining?
Yes, that is members only (I agree with SuperSnoop, this does not seem to be monitored too strictly)

And are there any other discounts I will miss?
No other discounts, but no special events like Moonlight Magic are offered to resale. Also, no Epcot Lounge.

I bought resale and have never been denied food or merchandise discount. The one you really miss is the AP.

If you have an Annual Pass, you can receive dining and merchandise discounts through that. Also, Disney Chase Visa card holders receive some discounts.

and access to the Epcot member lounge are restricted.

Are you sure about that? I have read in more than one place that you can still access the lounge if you buy resale. Or is it only Top of The World lounge you have access to?

Are you sure about that? I have read in more than one place that you can still access the lounge if you buy resale.

You cannot. They lock that place down like Fort Knox. You are probably thinking of the Top of the World Lounge on top of Bay Lake Tower. That place resale buyers can go to, because refreshments are for sale, not free, and the rooftop is paid for with BLT dues.

You cannot. They lock that place down like Fort Knox. You are probably thinking of the Top of the World Lounge on top of Bay Lake Tower. That place resale buyers can go to, because refreshments are for sale, not free, and the rooftop is paid for with BLT dues.
Yup, I was thinking of TOTW. I didn’t know that about the Epcot lounge. Really nice perk, but not enough for me to justify the price difference of direct/resale. Also, i would assume it is probably more of a benefit for those who travel in the summer to escape the heat, we usually go in fall/winter.
Thanks for the heads up!

You can't purchase the Tables in Wonderland card if you buy resale unless you already have an AP or are a Florida resident.

thank you everyone, I just thought this would be something my family would look into, we're already going to be AP's this fall and a DVC resale would just be a little bonus since we go at least twice a year:) I still need your input though! so still feel free to leave replies:love:
0t5d2tws02iud9z5.png

p07jmt826ggbhx2x.png

Really now with the minimum purchase to get perks being 75 points it doesn't make much sense to buy only for the perks. Here is a rough example-- If you bought a resort that was selling resale for $100 per point, but DVC direct is $182pp then you are now paying ~$6000 more-- It would take many years for you to recoup your purchase in the form of discounts. If the savings on an AP was say $200 per ticket -for a couple it would take 15 years to reach your break even point for premium you paid for those perks. So that resale savings would look much better in your bank account than in DVC's.

There are other routes to get perks/discounts -- With the money you save going resale you can still get a 5% discount on your AP by buying Disney gift cards for a discount - with the target red card and sometimes I hear of Sams club having them on sale. If you have a Disney visa - you can get 10% off at many restaurants and shopping, you can also go for special Disney visa meet and greets. I think you can still go to the TOWL (someone correct me if I am wrong).

If you have a longer trip planned or a couple trips in a 12 month period-Sometimes it makes sense for one member to upgrade to an AP so that you are entitled to AP shopping, dining discounts and the memory maker. It just boils down to working the numbers and see what makes sense.

The member events that you might miss out on are sort of a shot in the dark if they happen to align with your trip. We happened to hit one -- it was fun, but I don't think i would plan a specific trip just for a moonlight magic. Other events are offered but honestly when we are there for our Nov trip a few events offered cost money and others I'm not interested in -- so nothing lost there.

You can't purchase the Tables in Wonderland card if you buy resale unless you already have an AP or are a Florida resident.
I’ve never seen a confirmation on this one. On the contrary, ive seen resale members able to purchase the TiW card.

Things are changing, you will need to show a current DVC Membership card. New cards are being issued with expiration dates, and resale purchasers who are not grandfathered will not be receiving cards. Showing a card will be mandatory for all discounts and perks, other than those covered by dues, like TOTW and parking. That means no EPCOT lounge access, no discounts on tickets, dining and merchandise. When I was last at EPCOT, the lounge host said I didn't have a current Membership card...she checked my account on her tablet and ordered a new card right away, before allowing me access.

Things are changing, you will need to show a current DVC Membership card. New cards are being issued with expiration dates, and resale purchasers who are not grandfathered will not be receiving cards. Showing a card will be mandatory for all discounts and perks, other than those covered by dues, like TOTW and parking. That means no EPCOT lounge access, no discounts on tickets, dining and merchandise. When I was last at EPCOT, the lounge host said I didn't have a current Membership card...she checked my account on her tablet and ordered a new card right away, before allowing me access.
A card has always been necessary for TOTWL. And the temporary card available online should be sufficient. Resale members should be able to the digital card for most discounts.

Is it that resale members won't have a card, or will they have a white card vs. a blue? And only the blue will access perks?

Really now with the minimum purchase to get perks being 75 points it doesn't make much sense to buy only for the perks. Here is a rough example-- If you bought a resort that was selling resale for $100 per point, but DVC direct is $182pp then you are now paying ~$6000 more-- It would take many years for you to recoup your purchase in the form of discounts. If the savings on an AP was say $200 per ticket -for a couple it would take 15 years to reach your break even point for premium you paid for those perks. So that resale savings would look much better in your bank account than in DVC's.

There are other routes to get perks/discounts -- With the money you save going resale you can still get a 5% discount on your AP by buying Disney gift cards for a discount - with the target red card and sometimes I hear of Sams club having them on sale. If you have a Disney visa - you can get 10% off at many restaurants and shopping, you can also go for special Disney visa meet and greets. I think you can still go to the TOWL (someone correct me if I am wrong).

If you have a longer trip planned or a couple trips in a 12 month period-Sometimes it makes sense for one member to upgrade to an AP so that you are entitled to AP shopping, dining discounts and the memory maker. It just boils down to working the numbers and see what makes sense.

The member events that you might miss out on are sort of a shot in the dark if they happen to align with your trip. We happened to hit one -- it was fun, but I don't think i would plan a specific trip just for a moonlight magic. Other events are offered but honestly when we are there for our Nov trip a few events offered cost money and others I'm not interested in -- so nothing lost there.

I think there are so many variables - the calculations are highly personal.
If you are a family of 5, AP savings alone would eat thru $6K in 5 years.
Also, at 75 points, you are more realistically looking at maybe a $50/pt difference between direct and resale. So, you may be looking to only recoup about $3750.

Not saying people shouldn't compare both ways, but to me this is like the "Is free dining a better deal than a room discount?" argument on the discount boards. You simply cannot make a blanket statement one way or another. For some it will work out better one way, for some another.

Also, hindsight is 20/20. If direct benefits continue and maybe even improve.....? If they start cutting direct benefits........?

It is all a gamble.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter