Western Cruise & excursions

Totally Mickey

Earning My Ears
Has anyone taken the western cruise. Can you recommend any excursions. Anyother comments or hints for the DCL is greatly appriciated. It is almost impossible to find anything on the net about DCL & disabilities. Please Help.I have MS and am mobility impaired and tire easily. Thanks

One thing is just about forget about excursions. Most of the Caribbean Islands are not covered by ADA (only VI & PR) and finding ramps and/or curb cuts (as well as no stairs) is generally out of the question.

Totally Mickey said:
Has anyone taken the western cruise. Can you recommend any excursions. Anyother comments or hints for the DCL is greatly appriciated. It is almost impossible to find anything on the net about DCL & disabilities. Please Help.I have MS and am mobility impaired and tire easily. Thanks

I'm not sure how much this will help, but you may want to call DCL dirtectly to ask this question. They should be able to help.

Good luck

On the Western at least there is one U.S. port ( Key West). The train/trolley tour has an accessible trolley with an nice lift in the back. Other than that, there are no accessible shore excursions through DCL. Will you be using a power chair or bringing a manual chair for distances? I would highly recommend this as no matter what, there's alot of walking, even around the ship. Cozumel has a shopping area right off the dock that is accessible however beyond that there are no curb cuts. Carlos and Charlies has a ramp, albeit a very steep one. Grand Cayman is impossible unless you can get on/off a tender boat. Hope this helps. We are doing the 14 night cruise in May and there's only one accessible shore excursion during all the port stops- it's a real problem. Kathy

Totally Mickey said:

Before you get on the ship, I'm assuming it's the Magic, notify the Shore Excursion Desk of the excursions that you wish to take. That will give them notice that 1. You're on your way and 2. that you expect to be able to enjoy shore excursions that are offered as part of enjoying the cruise package for which you have paid full price. When you get to the ship go to the Shore Excursion Desk and show them the list of excursions you are interested in and ask them how they can make those excursions accessible within your capabilities. DCL ON THE SHIP is quite capable of making special excursion arrangements with their on-shore contractors because that is what they did for me. I insisted that it was possible to find accessible alternatives if they would just ask around. Holland America did it for our group last November and there's no reason why DCL could not do the same. I talked to Heath, of the Shore Excursion Desk aboard the Magic on the 10-day holiday cruise, and he said that the Shore Excursion dept. ON THE SHIP would do their best to assist someone who needs accessible excursions find something appropriate. The DCL land-based Shore Excursion Desk doesn't know the excursions so ask that your intentions be sent to the ship so they have time to prepare something. I'll be on the Magic in May, too...holding Heath's toes to the fire if I have to...

For the May Repo cruise I have been confirmed on the following excursions:
Castaway Cay:
Glass Bottom Boat (C-11)...11:15-12:45 then lunch at Cookies (suggested by CM)...if they've cleaned up the huge sand spill that makes the road inaccessible to power vehicles like scooters ...past the Post Office... The Boat itself? with Cash? Should be interesting...

Curacao:
Highlights Tour (CR07...8:50-12:20

Mazatlan:
City Tour and Show (MZ01....8:30-3:00)

Acapulco:
Cliff Diver Show and Restaurant (AC01...10:15-3:15

Cabo San Lucas
Resort Pool Getaway (CL13....9:35-2:35

Now, Cabo is a port that requires a tender to get from ship to the pier.... It should be interesting to see what DCL does about tenderizing my scooter...

For anyone else on this cruise, as well as others, the cruise meets board has a wealth of information about activities and such.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter