Weight Gain

eleteacher

Earning My Ears
We are leaving on Monday and spending 6 nights at disney. We did book the dining package. I don't normally order desserts with my meals and only when I really splurge do I get appetizers.

I do love to eat, though. But, I am also vain :blush: and the vainity usually wins out. I don't look forward to gaining weight but in this case all the wonderful treats are outweighing the fear of gaining.

My question is do many of you notice a significant gain on this plan or does all the activity and such balance it out?

Should I start buying clothes a size larger now? popcorn::

Honestly, I really wouldn't worry about gaining weight. Chances are that with 6 days in the parks you will be doing a LOT of walking. So you'll basically walk off most of the extra calories. At least that was my experience on the DP last year. Enjoy spoiling yourself!!!

I agree. We only did the plan once, but I none in my family gained any weight. We did so much walking that it really didn't matter. Plus, we were really only eating two meals. I wouldn't worry about it.

LOL! I know what you mean, we usually skip dessert but hey! it's Disney. You are right you will be more active, I figure 2 desserts and a snack will end up being too much for me anyway with all that food so we are looking forward to sharing the magic with families that might not be on the dining plan- or taking advantage of healthier choices such as fruit bowls when possible.

Besides when you actually get there- You'll be at disney!!!!!!!!!!!!

And we all know everything is better at Disney! ;)

I am glad Im not the only one who worries about gaining weight after DDP! I have been dieting for 10 months I hate the thought of gaining but I thought with all the walking it would even itself out..

I have never once gained weight while at WDW. Between walking and swimming each day there isn't too much to worry about. My job is counselling people who are loosing weight and also trying to manage their relationship to food. One thing I often remind them about is that most people eat differently on holiday than they would during their normal life. The difference is that the people who successfully manage their weight stop when they get home. :) You can always try to drop a few pounds under your goal weight before you leave, to give yourself a little bit of wiggle room. (Although it's a bit late for this strategy for the OP)

Keep in mind that you need to gauge whether your physical activity at WDW will be comparable to your current level at home or more. When DH and I went to Universal last October, I figured that the walking would let me burn off all the extra calories I was taking in. Uh...bad call. I gained weight (don't have a scale so don't know how much, but do know that my clothes were tight for a very long time).

When we go to WDW in January, we'll be on the dining plan. DSs will probably share my food, so that will help. I'm also bringing my running shoes and to get some extra exercise in.

eleteacher said:
We are leaving on Monday and spending 6 nights at disney. We did book the dining package. I don't normally order desserts with my meals and only when I really splurge do I get appetizers.

I do love to eat, though. But, I am also vain :blush: and the vainity usually wins out. I don't look forward to gaining weight but in this case all the wonderful treats are outweighing the fear of gaining.

My question is do many of you notice a significant gain on this plan or does all the activity and such balance it out?

Should I start buying clothes a size larger now? popcorn::

I lost 5lbs last week at disney. We shared a lot of meals. We had the option for salads at lots of meals. We chose "shareable" snacks. We drank lots of water- you have to because of the heat. You can make healthy food choices at buffets- plus try a couple desserts because they are smaller sized. We didnt' order 4 desserts with all of our meals. We just "lost" that value a few times when we knew we wouldn't be eating it. We walked a lot, swam a lot, etc. Look at the menus on allearsnet.com and be prepared with the healthier option if that's the way you want to go.

I didn't gain weight there due to all the walking...but, I was in the splurge/pamper mode ('that looks good, let's eat those, and try some of these' mentality) once we were home. The month after, trained to expect appetizers and desserts and coming down off cruise-control of disney, I gained a couple of pounds.

popcorn::

oh well.

richard_andmel said:
I have never once gained weight while at WDW. Between walking and swimming each day there isn't too much to worry about. My job is counselling people who are loosing weight and also trying to manage their relationship to food. One thing I often remind them about is that most people eat differently on holiday than they would during their normal life. The difference is that the people who successfully manage their weight stop when they get home. :) You can always try to drop a few pounds under your goal weight before you leave, to give yourself a little bit of wiggle room. (Although it's a bit late for this strategy for the OP)

This is so true. I gained 2 or 3 lbs on our trip last year which is nothing and should have come off relatively quickly. Unfortunately I'm one of those people for whom the weight gain spirals out of control and the eating just carried on in a senseless fashion. I'm now 14lbs heavier and can't fit into my summer clothes so am back at Weight Watchers again :cry: such a flipping idiot

ngtotd_dtrt said:
I didn't gain weight there due to all the walking...but, I was in the splurge/pamper mode ('that looks good, let's eat those, and try some of these' mentality) once we were home. The month after, trained to expect appetizers and desserts and coming down off cruise-control of disney, I gained a couple of pounds.

popcorn::

oh well.
See thats what I have been doing.. I went to hawaii for vacation with g/f after dieting for 9 months and I ate what I wanted to and now..I am having such a hard time going back to my better way of eatting..I really need to buckle down and when my trip comes around remember that the day I come home I watch what I eat again that WDW eatting is temporary..lol

I gained three pounds in December, and I had it off by Christmas. I quickly pulled the eating back under control and found that it came off rather quickly. Even on the longer trips I have enjoyed myself for 14 + days and then just hopped back on track (I have however been in the place where I didn't and it spiraled out of control, at least you catch yourselves at 14 or so lbs. I often wait until it becomes triple digit--though I'm finally learning so that is where the December thing came in to play!)and weighed in the next week to a 1 or 2 lb. weight loss. Enjoy with the expectation that you will return home and get it back under control immediately.

1. Its vaction.

2. Your going to walk, and walk, and walk, and walk!

Order the ap and desert....does'nt mean you need to finish it!

I plan to order the ap and the dessert, but just nibble from both... It is vacation after all!

Vacations are the one time I don't care what I eat or how much. My DH won't even let me say the word "diet" when we are on vacation. It is all about the fun for me. I gained 3 lbs last trip. I didn't think that was too bad for 1 1/2 weeks on the DDP. I agree that it is harder to get "back on the wagon" after the trip, though.

I also love to eat and tend to gain when I overdo it. I was worried about the dining plan as well. I did not gain any in a week,; might have lost a pound or two.

The walking/ actvity helps, but somehow the prepaid meals seemed to help, too. For some reason, I found myself much more willing to leave food on my plate than I normally would.

Enjoy yourself!

It is nice to here that most people don't gain any substantial weight. For spring break my daughter and I went to Hawaii. I lost almost 15 lbs before we left. I too didn't gain more then a pound or two while there but it was hard getting back to healthy eating habits when I returned. I put on 10 of the 15.

I will just have to make sure when the vacation is over my eating out of control vacation ends too. :)

Only three days to go, I better go start packing.

I am quite thin, but I've not always been so, and I work at it a lot (I run 4 miles a day 5 days a week to stay fit). And I'm doing the DDP with my family in July, and here's how I'm sure I can control the weight (and how I controlled it on our last Disney trip too). I am careful about the type of food I order, so instead of getting a fried appetizer, I'll get a salad or broth based soup. The entree is not going to be with fried anything or with lots of buttery/cheesy sauce. And, when I get that huge entree, I will immediately take half of it and put it aside. Doing that BEFORE I eat anything helps me keep portions under control. Yes, dessert is possible. In fact, my eating less of the food I've eaten already, I can eat dessert. You just have to choose sensibly.

I gained weight on the plan, and that was during Spring Break, when I did a LOT of speed walking to beat the lines. I'm normally a size 0, so gaining even 5lbs makes a difference in how my clothes fit.

I turn 40 next month (don't tell anyone) and it hasn't been easy getting those extra pounds off.

I honestly think it's too much food. I think they need a Disney-Lite Dining Plan. It just doesn't feel right not ordering food that you know you've paid for. :rotfl:

Am I There Yet,

I turn 40 a in exactly 10 days. I know what you mean by the weight doesn't drop as easily.

I turn 40 on vacation so I guess it is a good excuse to forget the dieting for awhile.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter