We AREN'T a Family, Antiquated Disney Nomenclature

smokeyblue

DIS Veteran
After over 15 years of being a non-traditional Disney-goer I'm ready for them to drop the use of family for everything. Out of the dozens and dozens of days I've spent at Disney parks, only two of those days have been spent with family members. It seems like most of the pre and post-trip communications I get are addressed or emblazoned with the word family on it. When I call the front desk, they ask me how they can help the X Family.

Travel as a couple or solo or just with friends or whatever non-traditional cast of characters you are with is very common as evidenced on these boards. Do you think Disney should make more of an effort to acknowledge "non-traditional" guests in their correspondence?

It seems like most of the pre and post-trip communications I get are addressed or emblazoned with the word family on it. When I call the front desk, they ask me how they can help the X Family. Travel as a couple or solo or just with friends or whatever non-traditional cast of characters you are with is very common as evidenced on these boards. Do you think Disney should make more of an effort to acknowledge "non-traditional" guests in their correspondence?
Couples are families. And so are "families of choice" (such as friends so close that you travel with them regularly).

I do think that Disney should be able to tell when someone is a solo traveler and address them some other way.

It's not something that really bothers me. I usually do think it's funny when they send a piece of mail to my house, but it's for one of my friends who I have traveled there with. Other than that, I don't worry about it.

From Wikipedia: "The word 'family' can be used metaphorically to create more inclusive categories such as community, nationhood, global village, and humanism."

tenor.gif

Do you think Disney should make more of an effort to acknowledge "non-traditional" guests in their correspondence?
No.

I go solo often. I go with one or two friends. I go with my GF. I have never been to WDW with family members. I have no issue at all with the generic use of the word "family". I don't consider my solo trips or trips with friends "non-traditional". I just can't imagine Disney having to figure out exactly how to address each reservation that will make them more comfortable.

Last edited:
FWIW, we took an adults-only trip last month, my husband and I and a couple that we're close with. We heard "the X family" a few times during the trip. I don' t make close friends easily, so when I do, they're as good as family to me. So my personal definition of the word might already be more broad that some.

We live in times when words are very, very important to many people. Once upon a time there was a saying; Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but words will never break me.

Those days are gone. Today someone will be concerned over just about every word usage. And then someone will not like or appreciate the change. No matter what Disney might do someone will not like it.

I love being called “family” when I'm with friends. Januare 2018; Liberty Tree Tavern, I'm with two friends; three old guys together for the first time in 10 years. When the Hostess (a word many people take offense to) said, “We welcome the Vasquez family from...” we loved it. They could have said “party” - that might make some more comfortable - but we would not have liked that. We're just friends, friends who see each other rarely, but calling us “family” at Disney is just fine with us.

I had no issue when I got my single Magic Band addressed to “The _____family”.

Then I got that nice “thank you” video addressed to “The ______ family” after my recent solo trip. I did not feel it was antiquated nomenclature. I just though it was cute and a nice touch. If Disney stopped that because some people didn't like it, I wouldn't like it. No matter what they choose someone isn't going to like it. These are difficult times for any business.

Last edited:
I'm vaguely reminded of how they used to label the promo videotapes when they sent them out, back when videotapes were still a thing.

There were up to three versions: pre-family, family, and post-family. (Not blatantly labeled, but there were small markings to tell them apart. PREFAM, FAM, POSTFAM as I recall.) You got one based on age and whether you were traveling with kids. Anyone with kids got 'family', and then pre vs. post was an age cut-off...I don't recall how old, I'd guess in the 40-50 range.

No concept of "non-family" at all. Either you just hadn't had them yet, or you were a grandparent.

We live in times when words are very, very important to many people. Once upon a time there was a saying; Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but words will never break me.

Those days are gone. Today someone will be concerned over just about every word usage. And then someone will not like or appreciate the change. No matter what Disney might do someone will not like it.

I love being called “family” when I'm with friends. Januare 2018; Liberty Tree Tavern, I'm with two friends; three old guys together for the first time in 10 years. When the Hostess (a word many people take offense to) said, “We welcome the Vasquez family from...” we loved it. They could have said “party” - that might make some more comfortable - but we would not have liked that. We're just friends, friends who see each other rarely, but calling us “family” at Disney is just fine with us.

I had no issue when I got my single Magic Band addressed to “The _____family”.
U9xacBD.jpg

Then I got that nice “thank you” video addressed to “The ______ family” after my recent solo trip. I did not feel it was antiquated nomenclature. I just though it was cute and a nice touch. If Disney stopped that because some people didn't like it, I wouldn't like it. No matter what they choose someone isn't going to like it. These are difficult times for any business.
I guess for me when I get mail seeing my last name the world family is just weird. Do I think they can make more of an effort or at least some effort? Yes. Actually complaining to change it; well, that would not be the hill I'd choose to die on.

Last edited:
I guess for me when I get mail seeking my last name the world family is just weird. Do I think they can make more of an effort or at least some effort? Yes.
What word would seem less weird to you? What would show you they are making the effort? Drop "family"?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!