WDW Vet going to Disneyland - Help Please!

Thanks! I will have to try stopping somewhere quiet between rides. Our itinerary was ride 2 rides (maybe more if they were short & close) back to back, with MP or DAS. Lunch, go to hotel 1-5:30. (dinner at hotel was chaotic also-maybe we should have started keeping him and one adult in the room and bring his food up earlier in the trip. We had to do that the last two days). Ride one ride (maybe 2) and sometimes a snack. Bed at 8.

He will choose... I will ask glasses or headphones next time.

One evening DH and I had my sister stay with the kids. He was still awake when we got back at 11. We got 3 glorious hours in the parks. So much done! Dinner, matterhorn, mr. toad, BTMRR during fireworks, pix at castle, I think possibly something else maybe space and or/star tours (maxpass hoarding in the afternoon to the rescue!) He loves it at the park. I think I need to adjust my expectations. I want him to experience all of the attractions! But if he doesn't ride little mermaid or monsters inc, would he even know? no! not at this age. We are saving up and fundraising for a service dog for him. So, hopefully next time (in 3 years haha) he will both 1. be mature enough to express when he's had enough and 2. have the dog with us!

It took patience in trying to understand how to help our son when he was younger. We didn't start taking him to WDW until he was 5 years old. Having home schooled him at that point, I had three years of experience and tried many things to help prepare him. Music, staying physically active year round and a consistent schedule did the trick for us. DS takes daily meds and at night during school only, we give him liquid melatonin, which was approved by his pediatrician. I enrolled him in yoga for kids, swim and karate. He started getting monthly massages two years ago. Most kids just veg in front of a TV or play on their devices - nope! Be really strict with that. We allowed 2 hours in elementary, 3 hours in Jr. High. One hour on one hour off and homework had to be done first. No exception. Summer time, we keep him active. Good luck! I hope you're able to find the right balance.

It took patience in trying to understand how to help our son when he was younger. We didn't start taking him to WDW until he was 5 years old. Having home schooled him at that point, I had three years of experience and tried many things to help prepare him. Music, staying physically active year round and a consistent schedule did the trick for us. DS takes daily meds and at night during school only, we give him liquid melatonin, which was approved by his pediatrician. I enrolled him in yoga for kids, swim and karate. He started getting monthly massages two years ago. Most kids just veg in front of a TV or play on their devices - nope! Be really strict with that. We allowed 2 hours in elementary, 3 hours in Jr. High. One hour on one hour off and homework had to be done first. No exception. Summer time, we keep him active. Good luck! I hope you're able to find the right balance.
Thanks! We have a lot of the sensory issues that are on the ASD as well as a bunch of other issues. I feel certain
His first trip was at 19 months. We've been 3x. 4 days/6 days/5 days. I think 4 days was perfect. We should go back to that and then just stay in CA to enjoy some sunshine on the other days because the trip felt too short.
Our other child also has FASD and picks at his sensory stuff. It's so frustrating!
You are so right about the TV. It zones our poor kids out. They start drooling and wetting themselves. Yuck! It just shuts off the brain!
We have to be so consistent! For the past two weeks we went with a friend to the park on wednesdays. I don't know how they can keep track of the schedule but he was asking about going today. Haha!

Thanks! We have a lot of the sensory issues that are on the ASD as well as a bunch of other issues. I feel certain
His first trip was at 19 months. We've been 3x. 4 days/6 days/5 days. I think 4 days was perfect. We should go back to that and then just stay in CA to enjoy some sunshine on the other days because the trip felt too short.
Our other child also has FASD and picks at his sensory stuff. It's so frustrating!
You are so right about the TV. It zones our poor kids out. They start drooling and wetting themselves. Yuck! It just shuts off the brain!
We have to be so consistent! For the past two weeks we went with a friend to the park on wednesdays. I don't know how they can keep track of the schedule but he was asking about going today. Haha!

Any changes to a schedule and they feel it and it's very different from us. We can brush it off but our kids not so easily done. It's amazing how much it really impacts them negatively. All week long your child had the mind set he was going back to the park to be with his friends, he really thought about it thoroughly and imagined himself being there. He did this for a week. I'm not trying to make you feel bad so stay with me. If you take something away, you have to replace it. Even if it means walking around the neighborhood with mom and getting a treat; ice cream, root beer float, a balloon and build on it. We now do science experiments and cooking!

Thanks! I will have to try stopping somewhere quiet between rides. Our itinerary was ride 2 rides (maybe more if they were short & close) back to back, with MP or DAS. Lunch, go to hotel 1-5:30. (dinner at hotel was chaotic also-maybe we should have started keeping him and one adult in the room and bring his food up earlier in the trip. We had to do that the last two days). Ride one ride (maybe 2) and sometimes a snack. Bed at 8.

He will choose... I will ask glasses or headphones next time.

One evening DH and I had my sister stay with the kids. He was still awake when we got back at 11. We got 3 glorious hours in the parks. So much done! Dinner, matterhorn, mr. toad, BTMRR during fireworks, pix at castle, I think possibly something else maybe space and or/star tours (maxpass hoarding in the afternoon to the rescue!) He loves it at the park. I think I need to adjust my expectations. I want him to experience all of the attractions! But if he doesn't ride little mermaid or monsters inc, would he even know? no! not at this age. We are saving up and fundraising for a service dog for him. So, hopefully next time (in 3 years haha) he will both 1. be mature enough to express when he's had enough and 2. have the dog with us!

Expectations are challenging! I struggle with it myself. I WANT to do everything, but I know it is going to end poorly for me if I do everything. It’s really hard reigning in your desire to see and do everything at Disney and to share it with those with you. Hopefully slowing down to take breathers makes the trip work better for everyone and to find you’re ultimately able to accomplish more! Since he is a little older, you may find that alone helps make the trip go more smoothly at this point this time. The more positive experiences and familiarity he has with Disney, the better later trips will be.

Good luck with the service dog too! It’s great that they are training them to help kids with ASD. They can really have a tremendous positive impact. I wish more organizations did them for adults. My wife and I joke that she is my service human.

Any changes to a schedule and they feel it and it's very different from us. We can brush it off but our kids not so easily done. It's amazing how much it really impacts them negatively. All week long your child had the mind set he was going back to the park to be with his friends, he really thought about it thoroughly and imagined himself being there. He did this for a week. I'm not trying to make you feel bad so stay with me. If you take something away, you have to replace it. Even if it means walking around the neighborhood with mom and getting a treat; ice cream, root beer float, a balloon and build on it. We now do science experiments and cooking!

I will say this. The schedule thing doesn’t get much better with age. We may learn to internalize our response to the change, but we’re still feeling it just as acutely. Routines change and it is part of life, but we rely on routine to make sense of our world. It’s brutal when those anchors are taken away from us.

I will say this. The schedule thing doesn’t get much better with age. We may learn to internalize our response to the change, but we’re still feeling it just as acutely. Routines change and it is part of life, but we rely on routine to make sense of our world. It’s brutal when those anchors are taken away from us.

Agree 100%! It's hard to get back on a routine once you've been off if it too. We don't play with that - no thanks!

Yeah. That’s a good way to think of it. He has to go to summer school camp today. He was just looking forward so much I couldn’t believe he could track days. He doesn’t even know the difference between lunch or breakfast. Lol “they” say FASD kids have poor memory. Not long-term! St maybe—can’t focus to get dressed. Need to tell each step.

Expectations are challenging! I struggle with it myself. I WANT to do everything, but I know it is going to end poorly for me if I do everything. It’s really hard reigning in your desire to see and do everything at Disney and to share it with those with you. Hopefully slowing down to take breathers makes the trip work better for everyone and to find you’re ultimately able to accomplish more! Since he is a little older, you may find that alone helps make the trip go more smoothly at this point this time. The more positive experiences and familiarity he has with Disney, the better later trips will be.

Good luck with the service dog too! It’s great that they are training them to help kids with ASD. They can really have a tremendous positive impact. I wish more organizations did them for adults. My wife and I joke that she is my service human.
Ours is an FASD dog. First organization to train for that!!!

It’s godo to hear this. We know it. We are pretty anal. But somehow I need to hear because I get so much negative feedback from others. I know what’s best for my kids. Note to self: “Block everyone else out!”

Yeah. That’s a good way to think of it. He has to go to summer school camp today. He was just looking forward so much I couldn’t believe he could track days. He doesn’t even know the difference between lunch or breakfast. Lol “they” say FASD kids have poor memory. Not long-term! St maybe—can’t focus to get dressed. Need to tell each step.

We had step-by-step cards like everywhere, they were used throughout elementary. Now he's in jr high, so things for him have gradually "clicked", which omg FINALLY! It gets better, I promise. Stay firm and positive! I think you found another resource to help you through this. More the better. :hug:

:cake: Birthday Bash Day :cake:

I was having issues securing dining reservations for the past few days but I did get the most important ones done. It's odd that you can secure some on Disney's website and another only through the app and in my case, Paint the Night had to be called in.

According to my phone record, I spent a good 35 minutes securing PtN dining package and "then some". The then some includes a gracious CM offering ideas to make our son's 15th birthday a bash! She suggested the following:
  • Make sure to inform Fairfield Inn we'll be celebrating a birthday.
  • She also confirmed Disney Florist does NOT deliver to Fairfield Inn but suggested I make a box up for him and mail it to our hotel or put it in my carry on and swiftly hand it to the front desk and they'll deliver it later.
  • Get TWO buttons at our hotel or at DL, Birthday and First Visit.
  • Ask the Captain of the Sailing Ship Columbia if DS can visit the navigation area.
  • I have BB with Fantasmic! and she recommended we arrive early to secure a table by the water.
  • While at BB, inform the server and he might get a special treat.
  • Order from another florist or catering service.
If you have any other ideas please feel free to share and I'll add it to the list with hopes of passing it along to our fellow DISers! Thank you!

EDIT: This post has been added to: Helpful Tips & Resources - Post #32 which can also be accessed on the MAIN page.:-)

Last edited:
Just got back from my first ever trip to Disneyland and I had a great time! I just wanted to share some of my thoughts about it.

-Me and my family bought a 5 day non park hopper tix with MaxPass, we decided to get MaxPass instead of park hopper as we thought it was more worth it.
-MaxPass was awesome, on our DL days we got about 7-10 fastpasses a day (note that we got to the park pretty early each day and was there for the entire day)
-MaxPass wasn’t as worth it at DCA has there isn’t as many attractions to fast pass
-Friday and Sunday were lighter on crowds compared to Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday
-Security to enter Disneyland Esplanade took about 30-45 min, get there early to avoid long secuirty lines. We got there about 8:30-9 am everyday and security was still crazy.
-It gets hot but humidity isn’t like Florida
-Disneyland is such an awesome park, take your time to walk around, take pictures and take it all in, all the lands are awesome especially New Orleans Square and Fantasyland. Roaming Characters also adds so much to the park experience.
-Blue Bayou Fantasmic package was a little pricey but I would definitely do it again as fantasmic was an awesome show and food was also pretty good.
-DCA was a much better park than I expected. Cars land is an awesome land and we spent hours and hours in there. Guardians is also very fun. Frozen show is a must do and fun for whole family. Pixar Pier looks much better in person than in pictures. Incredicoaster was a blast.
-Downtown Disney has some good stores and food there
-Resort hopping was a lot of fun. We toured both the Grand Californian and Disneyland Hotel and we had a great time just exploring and relaxing at both.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I have a much better understanding of the Disneyland Resort now that I’ve just came back from my first vacation at DLR. @FoxC63

Just got back from my first ever trip to Disneyland and I had a great time! I just wanted to share some of my thoughts about it.

-Me and my family bought a 5 day non park hopper tix with MaxPass, we decided to get MaxPass instead of park hopper as we thought it was more worth it.
-MaxPass was awesome, on our DL days we got about 7-10 fastpasses a day (note that we got to the park pretty early each day and was there for the entire day)
-MaxPass wasn’t as worth it at DCA has there isn’t as many attractions to fast pass
-Friday and Sunday were lighter on crowds compared to Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday
-Security to enter Disneyland Esplanade took about 30-45 min, get there early to avoid long security lines. We got there about 8:30-9 am everyday and security was still crazy.
-It gets hot but humidity isn’t like Florida
-Disneyland is such an awesome park, take your time to walk around, take pictures and take it all in, all the lands are awesome especially New Orleans Square and Fantasyland. Roaming Characters also adds so much to the park experience.
-Blue Bayou Fantasmic package was a little pricey but I would definitely do it again as fantasmic was an awesome show and food was also pretty good.
-DCA was a much better park than I expected. Cars land is an awesome land and we spent hours and hours in there. Guardians is also very fun. Frozen show is a must do and fun for whole family. Pixar Pier looks much better in person than in pictures. Incredicoaster was a blast.
-Downtown Disney has some good stores and food there
-Resort hopping was a lot of fun. We toured both the Grand Californian and Disneyland Hotel and we had a great time just exploring and relaxing at both.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I have a much better understanding of the Disneyland Resort now that I’ve just came back from my first vacation at DLR. @FoxC63

Awesome! Thank you so much for posting and making yourself available for questions. I was planning on adding another park day to our four day park tickets and purchasing maxpass for all days. This is telling me that might not be necessary.

For which park?
"Friday and Sunday were lighter on crowds compared to Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday"

Which show did you do?
"Blue Bayou Fantasmic package"

Where else did you eat?
Did you stay at a Disney Resort or a Good Neighbor?
What Characters did you meet?

Awesome! Thank you so much for posting and making yourself available for questions. I was planning on adding another park day to our four day park tickets and purchasing maxpass for all days. This is telling me that might not be necessary.

For which park?
"Friday and Sunday were lighter on crowds compared to Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday"

Which show did you do?
"Blue Bayou Fantasmic package"

Where else did you eat?
Did you stay at a Disney Resort or a Good Neighbor?
What Characters did you meet?

Friday, Tuesday, Wednesday we went to Disneyland and Sunday, Monday we went to DCA.

Yeah, we did the Blue Bayou Dinner Package and everyone in my family got the surf and turf which is a piece of filet mignon and lobster tail. Ovarell we had a great experience at Blue Bayou. Food was pretty good not the best steak I had but good for Disney Parks. Atmosphere is what makes Blue Bayou a great place to eat. Seating for fantasmic with package is incredible! Your dead center with a fantastic view!
-We ate at Blue Bayou, Wine Country Trattoria at DCA which was just ok, reminds me of Tony’s in MK, ate at Lamplight Lounge which is pricey for sandwiches but we had a great experience there. The ratouille and Salmon PLT we’re both very good and our server didn’t rush us and she let us take our time. We had a much better time than Pete did from the Dis. It’s a very relaxed dining experience at Lamplight. Lobster Nachos were also very good. Then we ate at carnation cafe which had pretty good sandwiches. I got the fried bolagni sandwich which was pretty good and my parents both got burgers and they said it was a solid burger and much better than an average quick service burger. Fried pickles were also a good appetizer to start out with. On our last day we ate at Cafe Orleans. Monte Cristo was very good but very filling. My parents both got shrimp and grits and I tasted some and it was very tasty but portion could maybe be a bit bigger for the shrimp and grits.
We’re DVC members and we weren’t able to get into the Grand Californian which was a bummer so we stayed at the Hilton Embassy Suites about 6 min drive away. The embassy suites was nice but it doesn’t compare to the convenience of staying on Disney property. Uber’s add up after a while. We weren’t planning on doing any character meets but when characters are coming up to you, you can’t resist but to take some time and meet them. We met with Aurora, Gepetto, Captain Jack Sparrow, Alice and Mad Hatter, Mickey and Goofy.

@BigRed98

We have a ressie at Wine Country Trattoria for the parade is this what you had as well?
We also have BB w/Fatasmic! for the first show. The second seating seems a bit messy as people stay for the fireworks.

Speaking of the fireworks at DL, did you secure a spot for that on your own?

I'm tempted to eat at Trader Sams in the afternoon so my son can see it as well as eating at Panera which is right by our hotel.

When you met the characters was photopass photographers available or where you on your own?

@BigRed98

We have a ressie at Wine Country Trattoria for the parade is this what you had as well?
We also have BB w/Fatasmic! for the first show. The second seating seems a bit messy as people stay for the fireworks.

Speaking of the fireworks at DL, did you secure a spot for that on your own?

I'm tempted to eat at Trader Sams in the afternoon so my son can see it as well as eating at Panera which is right by our hotel.

When you met the characters was photopass photographers available or where you on your own?

Yep we ate at Wine Country but didn’t get a reservation late enough for paint the night. It does have a great view for paint the night especially if you sit right by the railing. Our experience there wasn’t bad but it wasn’t memorable is the best way to put it. They rushed us which we don’t like at all. Our appetizers came out and then about 5 minutes later our main course came out. Server was very nice and polite. Appetizers were much better than main course. My mom got a spaghetti in a bolganse sauce which was just ok, meatballs weren’t good in my opinion. My dad got some other pasta which I forgot exactly what it was but it was average. I thought my fettuccine Alfredo with shrimp was the best entree we got from there. This was just our experience and your experience might be a lot better.

We had the first fantasmic show as well and we stayed for the fireworks with the projections on the water misters. Which was awesome!

We only watched the firework show from the Blue Bayou fantasmic viewing area.

We didn’t try Trader Sams but that will definitely be a must on our next trip especially when I turn 21.

Alice, Mad Hatter, Gepetto and Jack didn’t have photopass as they were just wandering around by themselves. Jack sparrow actually came on our raft when we were going to Tom Sawyer island which was very cool! Aurora, Mickey and Donald had a photopass phtographer near them. Mickey and Donald was at Town Square and Aurora was on side of sleeping beauty castle near Snow White and Seven Dwarves statues.

Yep we ate at Wine Country but didn’t get a reservation late enough for paint the night. It does have a great view for paint the night especially if you sit right by the railing. Our experience there wasn’t bad but it wasn’t memorable is the best way to put it. They rushed us which we don’t like at all. Our appetizers came out and then about 5 minutes later our main course came out. Server was very nice and polite. Appetizers were much better than main course. My mom got a spaghetti in a bolganse sauce which was just ok, meatballs weren’t good in my opinion. My dad got some other pasta which I forgot exactly what it was but it was average. I thought my fettuccine Alfredo with shrimp was the best entree we got from there. This was just our experience and your experience might be a lot better.

We had the first fantasmic show as well and we stayed for the fireworks with the projections on the water misters. Which was awesome!

We only watched the firework show from the Blue Bayou fantasmic viewing area.

We didn’t try Trader Sams but that will definitely be a must on our next trip especially when I turn 21.

Alice, Mad Hatter, Gepetto and Jack didn’t have photopass as they were just wandering around by themselves. Jack sparrow actually came on our raft when we were going to Tom Sawyer island which was very cool! Aurora, Mickey and Donald had a photopass phtographer near them. Mickey and Donald was at Town Square and Aurora was on side of sleeping beauty castle near Snow White and Seven Dwarves statues.

Thank you so much! Hard to believe we leave in 23 days!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter