WDW Proposal ideas

hushhush89

Earning My Ears
Hi all

So me and my girlfriend are coming to WDW in late April/early May for the first time and my plan is to propose to her... but I'm a little stuck on where to do this.

She doesn't like the idea of having it done with lots of people looking (so takes photopass on main street off the list). I don't really have the money to pay for an experience, so it would need to not cost (like the boat rides on the lagoon etc.)

Any ideas would be greatly helpful.

Many Thanks

You could do it at the Poly boat dock or the beach with Cinderella castle in the background. You can try and get someone to take your picture as you propose. You can also do the Boardwalk or the Yacht/Beach Club lighthouse. Those were options when I proposed in 2016. I ended up doing the CRT engagement package as I wanted the photos during the engagement from the photopass photographers.

My fiancé proposed to me on the beach at Poly with the castle in the background. It was public but not TOO public. I’ve also seen people propose on the pathways to the side of MK, like near the monorail entrances/ferry docks but more secluded like on the walkways away from people. There’s also a really secluded seating area at Animal Kingdom that overlooks the back of the tree of life. It’s on the walkway between Asia and Africa to the left. You could also do the boardwalk like mentioned above, or even at a fancy dinner at like Narcoosees or California Grill.

MY fiancé proposed inside the castle after dinner at Cinderella’s Royal Table, if you wanted to do a nice/fun dinner. There were a few people down there waiting for a table but not many, and the photopass lady got pictures!

Would she prefer something romantic or something unusual? How about at the top of Splash before you take the plunge (haha), and you'll have a photo to memorialize the event. Don't forget to sit in the front row. If she prefers something romantic, I think on one of the beaches at sunset or during the fireworks would be lovely.

I few years ago, we were at Epcot and there was a young woman crying in the restroom, the photographer that she booked for the big moment had cancelled... and her future wife was out in line getting them drinks.... So I offered up DH and myself to take the pictures... She was shocked that I offered.. So I went out and told DH and we was like this will be fun... so we took some pictures of them getting drinks and holding hands.. they walked into France over near the railing by the water way that leads to the boardwalk area... so if your facing France it's to the right near where they sometimes have character meet and greets... It was perfect the sun was just setting, and there were some people not very many people... but by the time she said yes there was a crowd, and everyone clapped and congratulated them...

You might want to walk around at one of the resorts... there are a lot of paths were you could have a moment alone... our friends got engaged on a pathway at POFQ.... he had planned to do it at dinner that night at California Grill... but he said that they were just strolling along laughing and talking and he said the moment was just right... and went for it... she said yes... and a couple that was walking saw what was going on... started taking picture of the moment, and got his email... and the pictures were amazing...

I few years ago, we were at Epcot and there was a young woman crying in the restroom, the photographer that she booked for the big moment had cancelled... and her future wife was out in line getting them drinks.... So I offered up DH and myself to take the pictures... She was shocked that I offered.. So I went out and told DH and we was like this will be fun... so we took some pictures of them getting drinks and holding hands.. they walked into France over near the railing by the water way that leads to the boardwalk area... so if your facing France it's to the right near where they sometimes have character meet and greets... It was perfect the sun was just setting, and there were some people not very many people... but by the time she said yes there was a crowd, and everyone clapped and congratulated them...

You might want to walk around at one of the resorts... there are a lot of paths were you could have a moment alone... our friends got engaged on a pathway at POFQ.... he had planned to do it at dinner that night at California Grill... but he said that they were just strolling along laughing and talking and he said the moment was just right... and went for it... she said yes... and a couple that was walking saw what was going on... started taking picture of the moment, and got his email... and the pictures were amazing...

I love these stories! What an awesome thing you did for that couple!

My husband gave me my engagement ring at Cinderella's Wishing Well. It is on a path just to the right of the castle that isn't very busy. Like your girlfriend, I didn't want to be the center of attention so he did a great job finding the perfect spot! he gave me a penny and after I made my wish I turned around to him on his knee and he asked if this (holding up the ring) was what I wished for. <3

Almost 18 years and two kids later, we take a family picture in front of the well every time we visit. :-)

Why not do it on Jungle Cruise? You could let the CMs in on it and have the skipper set you up for a super sweet proposal. Memories for days!

Or if you want something more quiet, take her over to Tom Sawyer's island. Very quiet and intimate.

Sigh....I love reading Disney proposal stories. DH and I are honeymooning in Disney in September and I think there will always be a part of me that wishes he would have proposed there and we had gotten married there as well - though I wouldn’t have changed anything about either his proposal or our wedding as it was just so us - but Disney brings out the romantic in me every time.

I hope OP finds the perfect place! I think for me the perfect place would be on the Boardwalk in the early morning (DH and I are both morning people). It quiet, not many people around and it’s so pretty by the water. A coffee in one hand, the fresh air, a ring on my finger and the man I love. What a perfect way to start the day.

I think one of the resorts would be perfect! The Grand Floridian is gorgeous, as is Port Orleans and the Polynesian. There are also countless romantic restaurants and some less expensive experiences. Horse drawn carriage ride at Fort Wilderness or Port Orleans, there are a couple of less pricey firework/dinner packages, and a lot of the resorts have beaches so you could do a quiet sunset beach stroll...I could go on and on. lol. I am a little jealous, a Disney proposal is so magical! Please come back and update us afterwards!

If she likes animals but don't want foot traffic that you may get at Animal Kingdom, try lunch at Animal Kingdom Lodge, then suggest a walk around the resort. Lots of nooks and corners there that can give you some privacy but are very enchanting.

When you get your "1st Visit" buttons you can also (in secret) ask for the "Happily Ever After" buttons or get two custom engagement buttons from Etsy or something. (Disney doesn't give "Just Engaged" buttons anymore, its just "Happily Ever After"). You can put the Engagement buttons in your bag and when you get to your room ask her to get the 1st time buttons from your bag. She will see the "Engaged" buttons and turn around to see you down on one knee!

If this seems rather specific it's because I REALLY thought this was how my husband was going to propose to me lol. He didn't, he surprised me by doing it at 3am, before we even left for the airport to go down to Disney. :lovestruc

However you decide to do it, I recommend doing it as close to the beginning of the vacation as you can. That way you won't be nervous with anticipation the whole week, plus you have all week to take pictures and make your first memories as an engaged couple. If you wear buttons showing you just got engaged, you might get some freebies like free desserts, up front at some shows, skip lines at some crowded bars (Trader Sams). We did't ask for any of these, but Cast Members often try to make your time extra special! :)

You could also propose while you are in a character meet and greet, like meeting Mickey. That way you'll get some photos, and there will only be you two, Mickey, the photopass person and maybe another family waiting in the queue. You could stand like you two are posing for a picture with Mickey, and then move forward a tad bit, get on one knee facing her with mickey in the background between you two. If you do this, make sure the knee that is on the ground is the one closer to the camera so it doesn't look like you're turned toward Mickey in a *awkward* position :laughing:

Good Luck and Early Congratulations!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!