Washington DC - Orlando Road Trip

brody-maddison

Earning My Ears
Sorry if I've posted in the wrong place....

We are a family of 5, Mom, Dad and three kids aged 16, 13 & 6 years old.

We are from outside the US and plan on flying into Washington DC and taking a road trip down to Orlando.

We are taking a 3 week vacation with a week allocated to driving from Washington DC to Orlando (give or take a day or so)

Can anybody give me some recommendations on a family friendly route and any interesting places to stop at for a night or two on the drive down.

There really is only one sensible route from Washington to Orlando, and that is straight down I-95. It is America's busiest highway, and runs through the most populous regions of the country. There are innumerable forays off that well beaten path that you can take. What are some of the things that interest your family? It is easy to foray over to the Atlantic coast for a beach visit if you are there in warmer months. You can strike a bit inland for great scenery and hiking in the Appalachian range. There are museums, historical sites, and amusements of every kind along the way. The trick is in picking the kinds of things that will keep the kids engaged when you are not on the road. DC to Orlando can easily be accomplished in 2 days (actually, that's our usual 1 day distance), depending on how many things you choose to do along the way.

We did this drive last year and plan to do it again this year. We didn't really stop anywhere of interest on the way down, we just stopped to sleep for the night and then got back on the road. However we did stop in Savannah on the way down and then stopped in SC on the way back home after our week in Florida. Dependent upon which beach you are interested in, you can probably veer off 95 and get to the beach within an hour.

Are you staying in DC for a few nights? I was actually just there with my kids (6&2) and it was wonderful. We stayed at the Willard intercontinental and it was a great location for walking everywhere. We did the Natural History museum which they loved and the Botanical Gardens. Everything is free! Enjoy!

We’re planning on spending 2-3 days in DC and then take a ‘scenic’ route to Orlando. Doesn’t have to be the quickest or easiest route hence why were planning on taking a week to stop off, spend a night or two exploring different places on the way.

We’re coming over from the U.K. which we do every year. I love Orlando and Disney but want to see other parts of the US. I’ve always wanted to visit DC so thought that’s a good place to start next years vacation.

There’s so many possible routes and so many places to see, I’m feeling a little overwhelmed.

I will second a couple of the previous poster's thoughts.

First, I would suggest staying in DC for a bit and explore the sights, especially the various museums that make up the Smithsonian.

For the drive south, there are many options. You could head inland and do the Great Smokey Mountain Expressway. You could stay along the coast and stop at a few of the coastal cities. I would consider starting with Colonial Williamsburg. Heading south, Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA. along the way there are plenty of beaches you could visit.
Wishing you a pixiedust: visit!

If scenery is the most important, I might suggest Skyline Drive across the ridge of the Appalachians through Shenandoah National Park. Head out of Washington South-West on I-66 to Front Royal where you pick up the parkway. It is open year round, but does close for inclement weather in the winter months. The Luray Caverns are about half-way along the Parkway and are a great stop for a family adventure. You can also continue along the Blue Ridge Parkway which connects up to Skyline at Waynesboro.

A bit of Southern history and hospitality can be found at Charleston SC or Savannah GA. Popular touristy beach destinations (ie. activities as well beach) are Myrtle Beach or Hilton Head Island in SC. The Outer Banks (OBX) through VA/NC is very scenic, if a bit of a slow drive in season. However, I just realized from your ticker that you will be travelling during shoulder season. A lot of the fun attractions close down after Labor Day or sometimes Columbus Day, so check for availability for the things you want to do.

Another fun stop is St Augustine FL, one of the oldest settlements in North America. It's a good 1-day distraction, however by then you getting so close that you start to smell the "house of the mouse" and stopping gets difficult. We tend to do that more as a decompression stop on the way home from Orlando.

And yes, Washington has some of the best museums on the continent. The Smithsonian(s) is/are a fascinating visit.

Great ideas from the previous two posters! In case neither mentioned it, if you head through western Virginia, touring Monticello in Charlottesville is a favorite Virginia attraction for me. If you end up driving through the Atlanta area I'd suggest an overnight stay at Stone Mountain Park or a nearby hotel. During the day there are things to see and do, but I'm really thinking of the laser show in the evening, if you go through at the right time of year.

www.stonemountainpark.com/Activities/Shows-Entertainment/Lasershow

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter