"WANTED" Yummy hot and cold appetizers please

crazyforpooh

<font color=FF6600>Proud American who loves her li
Hello everyone I think I have my menu planned for our 20th anniversary party but, I'm still lacking in the appetizer department. So what are you ideas and suggestions.

Thanks as always.

Laura
A Scrapaholic

How about:

Crab Rangoon
Warm Spinach Dip
Blooming Onion
Hummus
Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball
Cool Veggie Pizza
Seafood Nachos
7-Layer Dip (Mexican inspired)
Apple Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Antipasto Platter
Chilled Strawberry Soup (from 1900 Park Fare)
Spiced Olives (from the Contemporary)
Bruschetta (from Hollywood & Vine)
Marinated Tomatoes (from Hollywood & Vine)
Balsamic Smothered Mushrooms (from the California Grill)

Let me know if you want recipes for any of these. Many/most have been posted here in the past, so I don't want to post again unless you need them.

Bring on the BLooming onion recipe! and the choc. chip cheese ball....sounds terrible but I bet is yummy!

Is that the one that has liquour in it and crunchies or nuts on the outside!! That is the best, spread it on chocolate graham crackers.

I have a yummy mini-quiche recipe if you want it. You make it in mini-muffin tins!

We really like the blooming onion & have it often when we can get Vidalias. I've used Corn Chex when I don't have Corn Flakes in the house. I just throw them in my chopper & pulverize the daylights out of them.

jlp651 - Would you please post a recipe for the pizza roll?
poohbear1029 - The recipe I copied doesn't call for liquor, but that sounds good, as do the mini quiche! I'd love to see your recipes. :)

Low Fat Blooming Onion

1 (1 lb.) Spanish or Vidalia onion or any super-sweet onion
1 tsp. vegetable oil
¼ oz. corn flake crumbs
1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/8 tsp. seasoned salt
1 egg white
Horseradish Dip (recipe follows)

Preheat oven to 350º.
Trim the root end of the onion so it will stand upright. Slice ½ inch from the top of the onion; discard the papery skin. Cut triangular slices to the center of the onion, slicing from the top to within ½ inch of the bottom and working your way around the onion to make several petals. Place the onion in a microwave-safe dish. Drizzle with the oil. Microwave, covered, on High for 1½ to 2 minutes or until the onion is slightly tender and the petals begin to separate.

Combine the corn flake crumbs, red pepper and seasoned salt in a bowl and mix well. Beat the egg white in a bowl until foamy. Dip the onion into the egg white, coating the petals completely. Place in a 2-cup round baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle with the corn flake mixture. Bake at 350º for 10 to 12 minutes or until brown and crisp. Serve immediately with the Horseradish Dip.

HORSERADISH DIP
½ cup nonfat sour cream
2 tsp. reduced-fat mayonnaise
2 tsp. prepared horseradish
½ small garlic clove, finely minced

Combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, horseradish and garlic in a bowl and mix well. May be prepared up to 2 days in advance and stored, covered, in the refrigerator.

Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball

8 oz cream cheese, softened
½ c butter (no substitute) softened
¼ tsp vanilla
¾ c confectioner's sugar
2 Tbl brown sugar
¾ c miniature semisweet chocolate chips
¾ c finely Chopped Pecans or tiny shaved chocolate
Graham Crackers

Beat cream cheese, butter & vanilla until fluffy. Gradually add sugars & beat until combined Stir in chocolate chips. Cover & refrigerate for 2 hours. Place cream cheese mixture on a large piece of plastic wrap; shape into a ball, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Just before serving, roll cheeseball into pecans. Serve with graham crackers.

Yum! Don't know why I was thinking Cheddar cheese with the Choc. chip cheese ball....maybe that is why I thought it was a little odd!
I think I may try the onion this weekend!
Thanks!

lol, spinning! Yeah, Cheddar & chocolate does kind of sound yuck! ;) I never thought I'd say that, though, after watching Great Hotels yesterday. It was the episode about the best family hotels in the US & it included the Hershey Hotel. They make ANYTHING and chocolate sound good! :teeth:

BTW - The low-fat onion is a little harder to eat than the deep fried kind. You can't just pull the pieces off - at least not when I make it. It's much softer, but my DH & kids tell me that it's just as good anyway.

could you post the 7 layer dip (mexican inspired) recipe? I tried the search but it didn't work. Thanks a bunch.

Originally posted by cherio
could you post the 7 layer dip (mexican inspired) recipe? I tried the search but it didn't work. Thanks a bunch.

Sorry about that! That wasn't the actual name of the recipe - I couldn't remember what it was & merely gave it a descriptive term. Vary ingredients as desired. Here are 2 versions:

Seven Layer Nacho Dip
16 oz refried beans
1 pkg taco seasoning mix*
1 c sour cream*
1/2 c mayonnaise*
2 bundles scallions, chopped
1 can black olives, chopped
Shredded lettuce
1-2 tomatoes, chopped
1c shredded Cheddar cheese
Tortilla chips

Mix together items marked with a *. Layer ingredients in the order given beginning with the beans on the bottom & ending with cheese. Serve with tortilla chips.

TGI Friday's 9 Layer Dip

2 strips Lean Bacon
16 oz can Refried Beans Plain
½ c Sour Cream
½ tsp Taco Seasoning
¾ c Shredded Cheddar Cheese
¾ c Guacamole (Frozen or Prepared is Fine)
1/3 c Diced Tomatoes (about 1 Romano Tomato)
1 Tbl Fresh Cilantro Chopped Finely
2 Tbl Sliced Black Olives
2 Tbl Finely Sliced Green Onions

Fry diced bacon until done, add refried beans & cook slowly. Stir frequently until bacon & bacon drippings are mixed through - ~15 min. Remove from heat. Mix taco seasoning & sour cream; set aside.
To built 9 layer dip place ingredients in this order:
Place refried beans on serving platter spread out to 1 - 1 1/2 inches thick.
½ c shredded cheese
½ c prepared sour cream
¾ c guacamole
diced tomatoes
diced cilantro
black olives
sliced green onion
¼ c cheese for garnish
Serve with crisp corn chips.

This is the recipe I have:

11 oz Cream cheese, softened
3/4 c. choc chips, melted
1/4 c. creme de menth
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 c coarsely chopped pecans

in large bowl combine first 4 ingredients. Blend until smooth. Chill at least 2 hrs, roll into ball and roll in chopped nuts. Serve with chocolate wafer cookies.

You can also mix up the liquor and nuts.....try Kalhua and almonds or Baileys.........or instead of nuts, try coconut. Amaretto and nuts work good too!

Here's a few of our favorites:

Almond-Raspberry Brie

1 (15-ounce) round Brie
2 tablespoons seedless red raspberry jam
1 tablespoon Chambord or other raspberry-flavored liqueur
3 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
1 ½ teaspoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon honey

Removed rind from top of cheese, cutting to within ½ inch of outside edges. Place cheese on a microwave-safe plate. Combine jam and liqueur; stir well with a wire whisk. Spread mixture over top of cheese. Sprinkle almonds and brown sugar evenly over jam mixture; drizzle with honey.

Microwave at HIGH 1 ½ minutes or just until cheese is softened. Serve Brie immediately with gingersnaps.
Broccoli Stuffed Mushrooms

12 large mushrooms
1 very small onion finely chopped
6 Tablespoons butter or margarine
2 Tablespoons flour
3/4-teaspoon salt
Dash of white pepper
2/3-cup milk
1 package (10 oz.) Frozen chopped broccoli blanched and drained
2 Tablespoons finely shredded Parmesan cheese

Remove stems from mushrooms and chop the stems. Quickly cook stems and onion in 3 T. butter in frying pan for 2-3 minutes.

Reduce heat and stir in flour, salt and pepper, gradually add milk and continue to cook, stirring constantly until thickened. Add broccoli and heat thoroughly.

Melt remaining butter and brush the inside of the mushroom caps. Fill each mushroom with equal amounts of vegetable mixture and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Bake stuffed mushrooms in a 375-degree oven for 15 minutes until hot.

Can be prepared a day ahead and cooked the next day.

Orange Fruit Dip

6 ounce can frozen orange juice
1 1/4 cups milk
1 small package Instant Vanilla Pudding
4-6 ounces Cool Whip

Dissolve orange juice in milk, add the pudding and mix well. Fold in cool whip and chill.

Serve as a dip for fresh fruit.

Sausage Wonton Stars

1 package (12 ounces) wonton wrappers
1 pound bulk pork sausage
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Colby cheese
1/2 medium green pepper, chopped
1/2 medium red pepper, chopped
2 bunches green onions, sliced
1/2 cup ranch salad dressing

Lightly press wonton wrappers onto the bottom and up the sides of greased miniature muffin cups. Bake at 350 degrees for 5 minutes or until edges are browned. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the cheese, peppers, onions and salad dressing. Spoon a rounded tablespoon of filling into each wonton cup. Bake for 6-7 minutes or until heated through.

Tortilla Pinwheels

1-8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
1 bunch green onions, chopped
garlic salt to taste
1 package flour tortillas
salsa

Add chopped green onions and garlic salt to cream cheese and mix well. Spread a thin layer onto each tortilla and roll up (jelly-roll style). Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate. Remove plastic wrap and slice into 1-inch slices. Serve with salsa for dipping.

Enjoy,
Candi

print these all off talk it over with DH, and DD then make my shopping list. I'll let you know what I end up making. So many things to do and not enough time it seems. This wasn't supposed to turn into a big deal but it seems it has. Of course it doesn't help when you are trying to also finish 3 room makerovers at the same time. What was I thinking?

My sister is bring a 7 layer Mexican Dip so I know we'll have that one.

I'll let you know on the rest.

Laura
A Scrapaholic

Thanks again. You guys are the best.

Here are a couple we love:

BAKED WATER CHESTNUTS/BACON

2 – Cans Whole Water Chestnuts
1 – Pound Thin Sliced Bacon

Wrap chestnuts with bacon and stick toothpick in top to keep bacon wrapped. Place them in a large shallow pan such as a cookie sheet with sides on it.
Marinate ½ Cup Orange Juice, ½ Cup Soy Sauce, and 1 Cup Brown Sugar. Mix and pour over top of chestnuts. Let sit for 2 hours or over night. Pour liquid off – Bake at 350° until done.

HIDDEN VALLEY RANCH PINWHEELS
Makes: 3 Dozen

2 – 8 Ounce Packages Cream Cheese, Softened
1 – Package Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Mix
2 – Green Onions, Minced
4 – 12” Flour Tortillas
1 – Jar Diced Pimentos (4 oz.)
1 – Can Diced Green Chiles (4 oz.)
1 – Can Sliced Black Olives (2.25 oz.)

Mix first 3 ingredients, spread on tortillas. Drain vegetables and blot dry on paper towels. Sprinkle equal amounts of remaining ingredients on top of cream cheese. Roll tortillas tightly. Chill at least 2 hours. Cut rolls into 1” pieces. Discard ends. Serve with spirals facing up

TACO DIP

Crust:
8 oz cream cheese
8 oz sour cream
1 pkg (dry) Hidden Valley Ranch Original Party DIP mix
1 teaspoon Lemon Juice

Layers:
1. ½ head lettuce (shredded)
2. 1 large onion chopped
3. 4 tomatoes chopped
4. 1 small can ripe black olives
5. 8 oz package shredded cheddar cheese

Taco Chips or Nacho Chips

Beat together cream cheese, sour cream, party dip mix, and lemon juice until smooth. Spread on a cookie sheet covered with foil. Refrigerate for 6 hours. Layer the rest of the ingredients. Serve with taco chips or nacho chips.

SAUSAGE CHEESE BALLS

1 lb – Ground Sausage
½ Cup – Water
12 oz – Package shredded cheddar cheese
2 Cups Biscuit Baking Mix
1 Teaspoon – Baking Powder

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl; cover and chill overnight. Roll mixture into walnut-size balls; place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden.

Makes – 1 ½ - 2 Dozen

I've been told this dish is called "Heart Attack on a Stick"

Cut hot dogs into bite size pieces. I prefer regular hot dogs to jumbo versions. Wrap bite size pieces of bacon around the hot dog pieces and secure with a toothpick. Put them in a single layer in a casserole dish and pour a whole box of brown sugar over. Bake until the bacon is done and the sugar carmelizes. The sauce will be very liquidy when you first take it out of the oven, so I let mine sit for a while to let the sauce to thicken before serving.

Also, you might want to soak the toothpicks in water so they don't burn in the oven.

HI Laura! I have a receipe that's very easy. I make it all the time for our parties. It's usually the first things to disappear!

Savory Vegetable Mini Quiches
Ingredients:
1 package (15 ounces) refrigerated pie crusts (2 crusts)
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
4 slices bacon, crisply cooked, drained and chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped zucchini
1/2 cup finely chopped mushrooms
1 green onion with top, sliced
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
1 garlic clove, pressed
Dash of ground black pepper

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Let pie crusts stand at room temperature 15 minutes. Lightly spray Deluxe Mini-Muffin Pan with vegetable oil using Kitchen Spritzer. Whisk milk and eggs in Classic Batter Bowl.

2. Chop bacon, zucchini and mushrooms using Food Chopper. Add bacon, zucchini, mushrooms, green onion, cheese, garlic pressed with Garlic Press and black pepper to batter bowl; set aside.

3. On lightly floured surface, roll one crust to a 12-inch circle using Baker's Roller™. Using Scalloped Bread Tube, cut out 12 pastry pieces. Press one pastry piece into each muffin cup using Mini-Tart Shaper. Repeat with remaining crust to fill remaining muffin cups.

4. Using Small Scoop, fill each muffin cup with a rounded scoop of vegetable mixture. Bake 17-20 minutes or until crusts are light golden brown. Cool in pan 2 minutes; carefully remove mini quiches from pan. Serve warm.

Yield: 24 appetizers

Nutrients per serving: (1 mini quiche): Calories 100, Total Fat 6 g, Saturated Fat 3 g, Cholesterol 25 mg, Carbohydrate 9 g, Protein 2 g, Sodium 110 mg, Fiber 0 g

©The Pampered Chef, Ltd. 2003

hi all,

great recipes. could someone post the apple salsa and cinnamon chips recipe, please? sounds yummy. :D

I'd intended to serve this as an appetizer one time, but I had to remove it from the table in order to get anyone to eat dinner! :eek: Guess what they all wanted for dessert? ;)

Apple salsa and cinnamon chips

Cinnamon Chips
4 flour tortillas – 7” size
1 Tbl granulated sugar
½ tsp ground cinnamon

Salsa
2 granny smith apples, medium
1 cup strawberries, sliced
1 kiwi, peeled and chopped
1 orange, small
2 Tbl packed brown sugar
2 Tbl apple jelly

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly spray tortillas with water. Combine sugar & cinnamon; sprinkle over tortillas. Cut tortillas into 8 wedges & place in single layer on pan. Bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly brown & crisp. Set on cooling rack. [NOTE: Do not spray both sides of tortilla or you won’t be able to get them off the pan. :rolleyes: ]

Peel, core & chop apples. Slice strawberries & chop kiwi. Place all in small bowl. Zest & juice orange. Combine zest, orange juice, brown sugar & apple jelly; add to fruit mixture. Mix gently. Spoon into bowl & serve with chips.

I have substituted freely in this recipe with great results. I’ve replaced the apple jelly with orange marmalade, replaced the kiwi with ½ raspberries, replaced both kiwi & strawberries with raspberries, used orange-strawberry juice, skipped the brown sugar & used canned mandarin oranges with OJ & dried orange zest. Tart apples work best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter