Want to buy, but does this sound feasible?

Dennis the Menace

Earning My Ears
We are grandparents who like to take our grandkids to DW about every 3 years. We need only 172 pts. to stay in a 1 bedroom at OKW in October, so I am thinking about buying only 60 pts. which should be enough to go every 3 years. Does this sound feasible or am I trying to do the impossible. Would it be very difficult to buy only 60 pts. on the resale market?

I love this site and am counting on you experts to help!

There is conflicting information as to whether Disney will allow an initial resale buy in of as little as 60 points. That aside, small contracts are relatively scarce and you will pay a premium both in terms of price and closing costs as the commission and closing costs will be spread over significantly fewer points. You may be able to buy a larger contract for roughly the same total cost, especially if you are willing to buy one that has borrowed points (which may work for you given the travel schedule you have suggested). The real downside is that you will be paying annual maintenance fees on a larger number of points. But the current difference between 60 points and 160 points at OKW in terms of maintenance fees is about $25 per point.

It also depends how many grandchildren you have. With a 1 bedroom, you can only take two and they have to share a sofa bed. So a two bedroom might actually be better for you. As they get older, you will appreciate the space. You may also not be able to always go in October once they start school. So 150 points might work for you. You could always bank and borrow for the Disney Cruise as well.

Kem,

We have 13 grandchildren. We have already taken 7 of them in 3 different trips. We will be making 3 more trips with 2 kids each, so I think the 1 bedroom will work.

Dennis:

Don't have much advice to offer--except that we just bought 190 points to do 1 week in a 1 bedroom in October--and it seems like now that we have them we could have used many more.

I did just want to say you sound like great grandparents to me!!

I bet if you bought 150, there would be plenty of ways to use them--perhaps a little beach get-away at Vero or Hilton Head for ol' grandma and grandpa??!

Trudy

Originally posted by Doctor P
The real downside is that you will be paying annual maintenance fees on a larger number of points. But the current difference between 60 points and 160 points at OKW in terms of maintenance fees is about $25 per point.

Doctor, I don't quite understand. I thought that the maintenance fee on each point was only around $4 +.

What fantastic grandparents!!!! I hope I will someday be blessed with grandchildren and be able to take them as well. If you only need a 1 bedroom, and only have 3 more visits planned, it might not be worth it to buy- unless you think you will keep on going or use it for friends, etc. You could rent points from someone. If you want more info on a small resale for OKW or BWV, I would call Jaki Apetz (from A Timeshare Broker)at 888 345-2622. She works out of her home so you can call her evenings as well. Good Luck!!

Sorry, someone interrupted me in the middle of my last post. I meant to say that the difference in maintenance fees between a 60 point and 160 point contract at OKW is only about $25 per MONTH (not per point) or about $300 per year. Sorry for the confusion.

Buying just 60 points is not feasible, might be possible but still not feasible. With that many grandchildrent, you'll never get through them all going every 3 years. You might want to consider simply renting points or just buying 150.

Originally posted by Dean
With that many grandchildrent, you'll never get through them all going every 3 years.
Dean, yes we will. We already took 7 of them and only have 6 grandkids left to take. We plan to take 2 each in 2002, 2005, and 2008. If we buy only 60 points we will probably have to rent the 112 points needed for 2002.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter