• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Waitlisted or Lucky Phone Call

dis@dills

Mouseketeer
Can someone PLEASE shed some light on this?

1. If there is a waitlist for a particular unit (i.e. 1 bdrm @ BWV) and there is a cancellation does the unit DEFINITELY go to the first on the waitlist or to the next DVC member who happens to have the luck of timing.:confused3

2. DVC Resorts Inventory (Villas and rooms) control - Any idea on how it is controlled?:confused3

Thanks for your time,

Matt

1. If there is a waitlist for a particular unit (i.e. 1 bdrm @ BWV) and there is a cancellation does the unit DEFINITELY go to the first on the waitlist or to the next DVC member who happens to have the luck of timing.:confused3
I don't think anyone really knows with 100% certainty. It is supposed to go to the next person on the waitlist. However, there have been enough reports of waitlists suddenly "coming through" when members call to check on their wailtist, that we wonder.

2. DVC Resorts Inventory (Villas and rooms) control - Any idea on how it is controlled?:confused3
Not sure what you mean - not familiar with that term

Thanks for your time,

Matt
You're welcome - but I wasn't much help, was I? :)

That's been the big question lately! MS swears to the first but there have been enough valid reports of the later.

I really think they run the waitlist at night and if you happen to call during the day after someone has cancelled, you can snag the room before a person on the waitlist gets it.

I was just doing paperwork cleanup yesterday and found the reservation I made for BWV last December. We had a one bedroom Boardwalk view from Dec 7-11. I didn't make that reservation until late in March and I got the Boardwalk view room at one of the most popular times of year. I think I must have called right after there was a cancellation that day because I can't imagine that in March, there wasn't a wait list for 1 bedroom Boardwalk view rooms. I didn't realize that at the time, but I do now.

I really think they run the waitlist at night and if you happen to call during the day after someone has cancelled, you can snag the room before a person on the waitlist gets it.

I was just doing paperwork cleanup yesterday and found the reservation I made for BWV last December. We had a one bedroom Boardwalk view from Dec 7-11. I didn't make that reservation until late in March and I got the Boardwalk view room at one of the most popular times of year. I think I must have called right after there was a cancellation that day because I can't imagine that in March, there wasn't a wait list for 1 bedroom Boardwalk view rooms. I didn't realize that at the time, but I do now.

I think they do run the waitlist after MS closes or before the open in the morning. We autowaitlisted, VWL or BCV for our May trip. I was checking my reservations on the website both in the morning and evening. Yeah! we got VWL and I found the changed reservation on a Saturday morning.

Yes this is helpful. Sorry for the late reponse but my instant email notification did not work??

Disney Resort Inventory confusion?

I ask this because I can make a ressie for cash through CRO and get a DVC villa but through DVC I am unable to obtain a ressie. So I am wondering how many units are set aside for DVC, cash, general public, etc...

I don't think anyone really knows with 100% certainty. It is supposed to go to the next person on the waitlist. However, there have been enough reports of waitlists suddenly "coming through" when members call to check on their wailtist, that we wonder.

Not sure what you mean - not familiar with that term

You're welcome - but I wasn't much help, was I? :)

I do know that when MS makes a mistake they will sometimes tell a Member that they will bump them up on the wait list. With all of the mistakes reported on the DIS, We may never get our wait list filled. :confused3

Yes this is helpful. Sorry for the late reponse but my instant email notification did not work??

Disney Resort Inventory confusion?

I ask this because I can make a ressie for cash through CRO and get a DVC villa but through DVC I am unable to obtain a ressie. So I am wondering how many units are set aside for DVC, cash, general public, etc...
The cash inventory for DVC accommodations is completely separate from the points inventory. It is not at all unusual to see no availability for points while availability still remains cash (and the reverse).

Cash rooms come from 3 sources:

1. The largest percentage of DVC accommodations that are available to the general public for cash come from members who use their DVC points for a non-DVC option. For example, to cruise on the DCL, to stay at one of the resorts in the Concierge Collection or the Disney Collection (like the GF or Poly) or for one of the "adventures" in the Adventurer's Collections. DVC sends the equivalent number of room nights to CRO and uses the proceeds (minus a commission for CRO) to pay for the member's trade. So for the most part, the number of rooms in the cash inventory reflects the number of of members who are using their points for something other than a stay at a DVC resorts or an exchange via II.

2. A small percentage of each resort (2-4%) is retained by Disney. If the rooms represented by that percentage aren't need for administrative reasons, they too can be rented to the public.

3. Some rooms / points are owned by the Developer. These rooms are ready for occupancy but not yet declared into the condominium. Until they are needed for sales (the developer has to keep enough rooms in inventory to cover sales), the developer makes the rooms available for rental to the general public. The proceeds of the rentals (minus CRO's commission) are returned to the Developer.

A rather long explanation - hope it answered the question. :teeth:

The cash inventory for DVC accommodations is completely separate from the points inventory. It is not at all unusual to see no availability for points while availability still remains cash (and the reverse).

Cash rooms come from 3 sources:

1. The largest percentage of DVC accommodations that are available to the general public for cash come from members who use their DVC points for a non-DVC option. For example, to cruise on the DCL, to stay at one of the resorts in the Concierge Collection or the Disney Collection (like the GF or Poly) or for one of the "adventures" in the Adventurer's Collections. DVC sends the equivalent number of room nights to CRO and uses the proceeds (minus a commission for CRO) to pay for the member's trade. So for the most part, the number of rooms in the cash inventory reflects the number of of members who are using their points for something other than a stay at a DVC resorts or an exchange via II.

2. A small percentage of each resort (2-4%) is retained by Disney. If the rooms represented by that percentage aren't need for administrative reasons, they too can be rented to the public.

3. Some rooms / points are owned by the Developer. These rooms are ready for occupancy but not yet declared into the condominium. Until they are needed for sales (the developer has to keep enough rooms in inventory to cover sales), the developer makes the rooms available for rental to the general public. The proceeds of the rentals (minus CRO's commission) are returned to the Developer.

A rather long explanation - hope it answered the question. :teeth:

TYes you answered my question. Thank you very much for your response. :yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter