VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

DiznyDi & I love The Lodge first and foremost, but we have enjoyed may other DVC facilities. I particularly found BWV to be annoying. We have only stayed once, a few years ago. We had a lovely room, looking out onto the Boardwalk. But it rained the entire time we were there (3 days). That is when I realized that you can not get anything to eat unless you are willing to get wet. Whether you walking out in the rain, or ducked along under the canvas covers, you got wet. Some covers you could walk under as the there were tables in the way or it was crowded as people took cover. We enjoy AKL and SSR, both offering a different type of stay. As Granny stated, variety does keep things fresh!

Don't know if we have any ladies in here who buy the Magic Bands, but Disney released the Dooney & Bourke LE 2 version this morning.

It sold out fast, but is still available on the Shop Disney Parks App (not the Shop Disney app) with a 20% DVC or AP discount available. I had no interest in buying a MB until I saw the adorable box it comes in. I will admit having two addictions: luggage and boxes. I love travel and keeping things organized. This little box fills both bills. Bought one for my daughter's birthday, one for my own.

38526210_235833790403211_2202529366204743680_n.jpg

I'm such the sucker. LOL.

Last edited:
Don't know if we have any ladies in here who buy the Magic Bands, but Disney released the Dooney & Bourke LE 2 version this morning.

It sold out fast, but is still available on the Shop Disney Parks App (not the Shop Disney app) with a 20% DVC or AP discount available. I had no interest in buying a MB until I saw the adorable box it comes in. I will admit having two addictions: luggage and boxes. I love travel, and keeping things organized. This little box fills both bills. Bought one for my daughter's birthday, one for my own.

Very, very cute!

It sold out fast, but is still available on the Shop Disney Parks App (not the Shop Disney app) with a 20% DVC or AP discount available. I had no interest in buying a MB until I saw the adorable box it comes in. I will admit having two addictions: luggage and boxes. I love travel, and keeping things organized. This little box fills both bills. Bought one for my daughter's birthday, one for my own.

Haha - we all have those things that just get us! I do think this is a cool looking MB. It's as close as it gets to encouraging me to pay for one! But I'm going to keep getting free ones and decorating for now. :goodvibes Leaves one more for others to buy!

Well “surprisingly” :rolleyes: my stripped, overpriced VWL resale contract passed ROFR. So sometime in October, I should be a proud VWL Groupie, Lover & Owner.

I guess there’s a bright side to purchasing stripped, overpriced resale contracts.
:joker:

Then in January I can work on getting to the Lodge in December 2019. I’ll have to borrow though, you know, ‘cuz I won’t have any 2019 points. :rolleyes1

So my brother and his family bailed on our April 2019 HHI trip. No need for a 2 bdr which means I can use those extra HHI points to head to WDW. I’m thinking a combo HHI / BWV trip.

The wife and I have never stayed at Boardwalk. I know several Groupies have dual VWL and BWV citizenship. My Dear Wife has generally had little affection for Boardwalk. It’s been a running joke for awhile- I laugh at her and threaten to make her stay there. (There’s a story involving Boardwalk, the clown pool, etc that maybe I’ll share sometime)
She claims she’s over her “fear of clowns” and is willing to give Boardwalk a try. I’m thinking a nice studio with a view of the Luna pool would be just the ticket :rotfl2:

Just kidding.

Maybe. Lol.

Well “surprisingly” :rolleyes: my stripped, overpriced VWL resale contract passed ROFR. So sometime in October, I should be a proud VWL Groupie, Lover & Owner.

I guess there’s a bright side to purchasing stripped, overpriced resale contracts.

Then in January I can work on getting to the Lodge in December 2019. I’ll have to borrow though, you know, ‘cuz I won’t have any 2019 points. :rolleyes1
Congratulations!

Congrats Dan!! Couldn't have made a better choice in resorts IMO:thumbsup2
We are one of those VWL/BWV owners. The appeal to us 1st and foremost at BWV was F&W Festival and close proximity to Epcot for said event. We bought enough points to go every other year for 2 weeks in Oct. in a 1 bed. Believe me when I say this, my heart is definitely "Lodged" at VWL(I refuse to call it by its new name:sick:)and always will be, but BWV beckons us to stay with her during certain times of the year.

Crabby...great news on getting through ROFR! I'm sure you will love your purchase at our beloved resort! :)

So my brother and his family bailed on our April 2019 HHI trip. No need for a 2 bdr which means I can use those extra HHI points to head to WDW. I’m thinking a combo HHI / BWV trip.

The wife and I have never stayed at Boardwalk. I know several Groupies have dual VWL and BWV citizenship. My Dear Wife has generally had little affection for Boardwalk. It’s been a running joke for awhile- I laugh at her and threaten to make her stay there. (There’s a story involving Boardwalk, the clown pool, etc that maybe I’ll share sometime)

Sorry to hear that you lost the big family trip but you are putting a very nice silver lining on your brother's cancellation! April is Flower & Garden Festival time at EPCOT so lots of topiaries and other garden related activities going on there. I'm sure you'll like BWV. For "Preferred View - Water & Garden" we like the villas overlooking the quiet pool.

Crabby, I agree with Granny on location. Cool thing is in that area, it basically places you half way walking distance to HS and Epcot. Per Granny's recommendation many moons :goodvibes I asked him which area to ask for a standard 1 bed. And we like this area, ask for near the tennis courts. If you have a car, you can park really close to your room in the little side parking lot that not a lot of folks know about. As mentioned, close proximity via feet to each park, buses not far from here, and if you opt to walk to front area, can go outside and get to main lobby as fast if not faster than down the long hallways.

Crabby, I agree with Granny on location. Cool thing is in that area, it basically places you half way walking distance to HS and Epcot. Per Granny's recommendation many moons :goodvibes I asked him which area to ask for a standard 1 bed. And we like this area, ask for near the tennis courts. If you have a car, you can park really close to your room in the little side parking lot that not a lot of folks know about. As mentioned, close proximity via feet to each park, buses not far from here, and if you opt to walk to front area, can go outside and get to main lobby as fast if not faster than down the long hallways.

Thanks Granny and Jimmytammy.

I was gonna ask what your recommendations were for a room request. (Although, from stalking the BWV Lovers thread I already knew which area you preferred.) :D Near the tennis courts, close to the parking lot, that’s good for me.

On another note- It seems a June use year contract with similar points, more $ per point, but not as stripped ( no ‘18 pts but all ‘19 pts) was taken by Disney in July. So I consider myself fortunate.

Congrats Crabby on the contract! I’ll echo Jimmy’s recommendation for the BWV room and parking by the tennis courts. Very convenient! That’s where we parked for our one night stay in July.
I took it upon myself to book our Mardi Gras break next year (which is actually the very next weekend after the half marathon which I’m booked for at VWL). I really only intended for us to squish in a studio for the trip. I booked an SSR studio and waitlisted for VWL and Boardwalk. I then realized that there were actually standard 1 bedrooms at BWV open, so I booked that instead. So much for my 2020 points! Oh well, annual passes will expire at the end of March and DD22 will be done with school in St. Augustine at the end of April. I guess then I’ll let the points recover for a year.
I’m currently on my way to Arkansas to move DD19 into her dorm. Going to be an emotional few days. From the amount of groupies that had graduates in May, I’m sure I’m not the only one.

Erin
Thats a great thing about being an owner, flexibility to roll with the changes of life. I understand how you feel about not going for an entire year, but what a great trip it sounds like you have planned for 2019!!

Thanks Granny and Jimmytammy.

I was gonna ask what your recommendations were for a room request. (Although, from stalking the BWV Lovers thread I already knew which area you preferred.) :D Near the tennis courts, close to the parking lot, that’s good for me.

On another note- It seems a June use year contract with similar points, more $ per point, but not as stripped ( no ‘18 pts but all ‘19 pts) was taken by Disney in July. So I consider myself fortunate.

Crabby...I don't think you told us what room type reservation you were planning for BWV? Standard view can be tough to get at any time of the year at the 7 month mark. Jimmy's recommendation of near the tennis courts is typically a request for a Standard View room. Likewise, Boardwalk View rooms can be hard to get at 7 months as well, and for that many people like to be on a higher level, far from the elevators to improve their view of Illuminations. The third bookable room type is Pool/Garden view. With that view you get either the canal, the main pool, or the quiet pool. Since you mentioned getting a villa with a view of the main pool, I assumed you were looking at a Pool/Garden view which is the easiest to get a 7 months. If so, the quiet pool view is down the hallways closer to DHS and provides that easy access to the DHS walking path or the path on the first floor that goes over to the bus stop. Good luck with your planning!

Congrats Crabby Dan! Although our home resort is VWL, the majority of our stays have been at the BCV and BWV. We really love the Epcot resort area, due to the proximity to Epcot & DHS. I think December 2019 is definitely shaping up to be (yet another) BIG HONKIN GROUPIE MEET! :santa::yay::jumping1:

OK Groupies, as some may recall, in March I made the plunge and left my employer of 10 years. After the first few months I began to realize the new company/role was not all I had hoped it would be. I gave it a few more months, but after much deliberation, I decided to resign. I do not have another job lined up, and while I vacillate between feelings of sheer joy and terror, I do believe this will be a (hopefully short) period where I can really focus on my next move.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter