VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Hi Erin, I recently just started walking an 11 month out reservation that I know I won't be able to get otherwise. It sounds like you know the concept, so I won't go into detail on that, but you should be aware that at 7 months out those owners still have the jump on you and there is no guarantee your dates will be available when you can finally reach out to them.

I'm not quite comfortable with calling Member services all the time, but they do make it easy. Changing the dates online requires one to release their dates and hope that no one grabs the room while you have the second window open ready to search (must do a new search after the points are released for the system to see your account point balance properly). MS has a way around that to make sure you don't loose the hold on your room. I made the change on my own at almost 3am est one day, don't think I'll be doing that again as 3 am here was still midnight on the west coast. Someone grabbed up a day I released almost immediately (I don't think it was the wait list as that software runs on a schedule.)

If you see one coming up on the dates you want, I'd say, grab it and walk it. Good luck!

Here is the reply I got from someone at WL management

Dear Mr. Whitesell,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to the rumors of changes at Whispering Canyon. Whispering Canyon Café is still a rootin' tootin' good time for the whole family, with plenty of antics still occurring. You may notice that we've asked our Cast Members to turn down the volume a bit to promote participation among all Guests.

Your feedback is important to us, and we truly appreciate that you took the time to let us know your thoughts. It is through feedback, like yours, that we learn what we must do to ensure the Disney magic is preserved for everyone.

Once again, Mr. Whitesell, thank you for your honest feedback.

Sincerely,
Lorraine Oakley
Lorraine.Oakley@disney.com

Interesting reply Jimmy. When DiznyDi asked our waitress about the reduced chaos, she said that she was suppose to contain herself, but she still consistently called me Honey, Sweetheart, and other such endearments that always have given me pause.

Being the person I am, I have found myself, when interfacing with someone that insists on calling me Hon, or other such familiarity phases, to respond in kind. Many times I have gotten a look back that indicated they were surprised or offended that I responded with "Thanks Sweetheart" or other such comebacks. Hey, what goes around comes around.

Still no availability there starting on 22 Oct and extending as far as the 180-day window goes which is currently 10 Nov. Refurbishment? Perhaps. Computer glitch? Doubtful as I've been trying nearly two weeks to find an opening on any of those dates.
The rumor (have we discussed this here?) is a character breakfast at AP. I wonder of that's the issue right now.

The rumor (have we discussed this here?) is a character breakfast at AP. I wonder of that's the issue right now.
That is the leading candidate rumor for why AP would need to close for a few (several?) weeks. I'm not sure what extra things they would need to do just to host a few characters, but then again, I'm not a Disney CM. If so, that would mean such a meal would begin late in the fall, I presume.

Here is the reply I got from someone at WL management

Dear Mr. Whitesell,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to the rumors of changes at Whispering Canyon. Whispering Canyon Café is still a rootin' tootin' good time for the whole family, with plenty of antics still occurring. You may notice that we've asked our Cast Members to turn down the volume a bit to promote participation among all Guests.

Your feedback is important to us, and we truly appreciate that you took the time to let us know your thoughts. It is through feedback, like yours, that we learn what we must do to ensure the Disney magic is preserved for everyone.

Once again, Mr. Whitesell, thank you for your honest feedback.

Sincerely,
Lorraine Oakley
Lorraine.Oakley@disney.com
I received the same plus an email and call from DVC services (requested by President George).

Forgive me for popping in rudely and not reading to get caught up. I'm approaching the 7 month mark for Aulani Christmas reservations. I really would like to have Dec. 20-28th (which is stilling showing available as of right now on the RAT), at least ocean view is anyway. I really feel like I need to walk this reservation to secure it. I know people have mixed feelings about walking. I have actually never done it before, so I'm not really sure what I need to do. Should I start making the reservation on the 18th (which would cover Christmas Day)? and then walk it until I can get to the 28th? Is there a dummies guide to walking somewhere? Can I do this online, or do I have to call them everyday? I will have to borrow points from 2019 to secure this reservation too if that matters. Please help me. I'm knee deep in the end of school, exams, and Senior daughter graduating on Saturday. I probably need some Xanax...

I've never walked a reservation but my understanding is that you have the basics down. For true walking of the entire vacation, you would make the original reservation for December 14-21 since you can only book 7 days at the 7 month mark. That would give you December 20, the first night of your trip. You would then call MS every day thereafter to book another day at the end and drop the first day...I don't think the online system allows you to drop and add days. MS would need to be involved anyway since they'll have to link each of the added days to make sure you only have one reservation and don't have to move. Make sure you call MS right when they open each day, and understand that they will be jammed with people trying to make 7 month reservations for Christmas time, plus some trying to make 11 month reservations for Spring Break.

So the second day you would call MS and drop December 14 and add December 22 so your reservation would be December 15-22. You do this each day until you have December 20-27. Then call back the next day and just add December 28 and you have your reservation.

It's a lot of phone calls but gives you the best chance for securing your vacation dates. Good luck!

.I don't think the online system allows you to drop and add days.

This brings to mind that they announced at the Dec Annual meeting that modifying reservations was going to be coming. Wonder when that is happening?

Cindy & Kat...sorry, when I typed my response I didn't know that you guys had already responded. I was on the last page and didn't notice that there was a whole 'nuther page already here! :)

This brings to mind that they announced at the Dec Annual meeting that modifying reservations was going to be coming. Wonder when that is happening?

Good question. You would think that they wouldn't even mention something IT related until it had already cleared beta testing. Still, I was one of the people who thought that I wouldn't see online booking available during my contract time, so I do have hope that they'll continue to provide more and more online services to avoid calling MS. The last several times I've called MS I've had waits of 20+ minutes no matter what time of day that I call. At this point, I handle everything online or through email unless that won't work (such as modifying a reservation).

Cindy & Kat...sorry, when I typed my response I didn't know that you guys had already responded. I was on the last page and didn't notice that there was a whole 'nuther page already here! :)

No problem Granny, I appreciate that you took the time to answer too. I don't pretend to be an expert on walking reservations, just learning the ropes, & sharing what I've learned.

I don't believe you even repeated my oh so long reply of "8am eastern" Granny! :rotfl2:

(And just because I noticed this smilie right now I'll add it because I like it but can't think of when I ever would use it. :sail:)

I too would have thought they pretty much had the online modifying option ready to go before announcing but then IT doesn't always seem to operate the way you would expect in any way, shape or form. If I never had to call in that would be great!

So - did everyone get the email about the member cruise? Anyone going?

I have to say I choked a bit at the price but with a west coast option I'm at least looking at it. I guess it's only going to get more expensive each year so either do it soon or never do it. I kind of figured never do it but will think on it. None of the stops are new places for us and another Alaskan Cruise would have been more interesting. What's appealing though is considering who the special guests might be on that sailing. Probably won't because that money could be an incredible, much longer trip somewhere else but we'll see.

Haven't seen the email, but frankly, even the regular cruises are getting beyond our budget. Love Disney cruising but the grab for money has put us off. We'll stick to going to the World and increasingly spending less time (ergo money) in the parks.

That is the leading candidate rumor for why AP would need to close for a few (several?) weeks. I'm not sure what extra things they would need to do just to host a few characters, but then again, I'm not a Disney CM. If so, that would mean such a meal would begin late in the fall, I presume.
Way before we ever 1st stepped foot into that Grand Lobby back in late 2002, wasn't there previously a character breakfast at AP? Maybe I'm crazy, but for some reason, I remember reading this somewhere:confused3

I have to say I choked a bit at the price but with a west coast option I'm at least looking at it. I guess it's only going to get more expensive each year so either do it soon or never do it. I kind of figured never do it but will think on it. None of the stops are new places for us and another Alaskan Cruise would have been more interesting. What's appealing though is considering who the special guests might be on that sailing. Probably won't because that money could be an incredible, much longer trip somewhere else but we'll see.

I did, but no not going. Too much money. I'd rather spend that money on a premium cruise line like Oceania.

Back from the World. It was an ok trip. Weather was not the best. Don Felder from the Eagles was awesome! Caught 2 of his sets. Think I picked up a little stomach bug on Sunday. Haven't felt quite right since Monday morning. Oh well. With the amount of times I visit per year not every trip is going to be amazing.

Tonight is my nephew's wedding. Those that have been around the thread a long time will recall that my sister passed away way too young 8 years ago. This is her son. It's going to be a bittersweet day.

I too was intrigued by the California coastal member cruise. However, $1841 per person for an inside cabin for a five night cruise is pretty expensive. We are doing a California Coastal (LA, Santa Barbara, San Francisco-over night, Monterey, Catalina Island, Ensenada, Mexico) on Celebrity in October 2019 and are paying $1736 for 7 nights in a balcony cabin. Category 5A is similar to our cabin on Celebrity and it costs $3014 per person, double occupancy. We will be paying $1278 per person less by doing a Celebrity cruise versus the member cruise. I just find it hard to believe that the entertainment, lecturers and Disney vibe is really worth that much more money.

Tonight is my nephew's wedding. Those that have been around the thread a long time will recall that my sister passed away way too young 8 years ago. This is her son. It's going to be a bittersweet day.

Ahh Julie, we remember. :grouphug: Our thoughts will be with you this weekend as you reflect on the past and as you anticipate the future of this young couple and the legacy of your sister in their lives.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter