VOLCANO BAY.....INFO AND QUESTION THREAD........

Thanks for the tips! And thanks for the link! I've been googling some maps but I will read through that thread. I just looked up the hours during our trip and it looks like 10am - 7 or 8pm on the Saturday. I think the nighttime would be a completely different experience with the lights and everything - as long as it's warm enough and I think it should be! In any case, I definitely want to devote to larger chunks of time to VB...

I'm thinking about doing that Premium Seating, so I may call Universal tomorrow to see what the pricing is in April. If anyone has any suggestions about good locations, I'd love to hear it! My kids are 13 and 11 if that makes a difference.

Thanks again!

Your welcome very much! If you can get through the crowd issue you will love VB. It is a really cool water park. I opted against the premium seating and just did a cabana on one of my days. The day I got there for Early Entry without the cabana I got regular chairs. I was off to the right of the big wave pool by the Dancing Dragons Restaurant. It was a good location with bathrooms and drink refills a few 100 feet away. You could go without the seating if you get there early. There are umbrellas with a lot of the regular seating.

If you want the premium seating I would suggest the rainforest village that is where more of the rides are or the wave pool village which is in the front more and equal access to things. We had the wave village cabana and were very happy with it.

I'm going to be visiting Universal in April for a solo trip. I'm going to be there 3 days and was wondering if Volcano Bay was worth it for a solo traveller. Any tips for vising alone? Thanks!

The days I was there I did see a few solo travelers. If you love water parks VB is really awesome and worth going. However, all the large tube rides and the coaster need two or more. We had a couple of solo travelers put with us and I did see them put with others. The associates will just put you with people. If you are use to traveling alone then you probably would be comfortable riding with strangers. I would do Early Entry if possible and I would try the water coaster first. If it seems to be down don't wait and go over to the body slides in the Volcano (Ko Okiri, Kala and Tai Nui) if you want to do them and they are on EE. My DH and DD's BF did these slides and liked them. If they are not open go over to Honu and Moana. These two family rides get busy. Maku and Puhi are great large raft rides near the fearless river in the back of the park. These 4 family raft rides and the volcano slides get busy. The water coaster was down a lot last summer. I don't know if they got the kinks out. If you see up and down keep an eye out and jump in the line when it is working.

Have fun!

Hi if you search the net for tips for Volcano Bay you will see a lot of theme park sites have tips. I know most of them are from last year but are worth taking a look at.

Your welcome very much! If you can get through the crowd issue you will love VB. It is a really cool water park. I opted against the premium seating and just did a cabana on one of my days. The day I got there for Early Entry without the cabana I got regular chairs. I was off to the right of the big wave pool by the Dancing Dragons Restaurant. It was a good location with bathrooms and drink refills a few 100 feet away. You could go without the seating if you get there early. There are umbrellas with a lot of the regular seating.

If you want the premium seating I would suggest the rainforest village that is where more of the rides are or the wave pool village which is in the front more and equal access to things. We had the wave village cabana and were very happy with it.

I just called to price things out for my week - unfortunately, the cabanas may be out of my range for this trip, but it does sound nice! The premium seating may still be an option at about $79 for my week. I was told you select an area (I think river, rainforest or wave pool) and then it's assigned from there. I will look more into the different areas but thanks for the description - that helps. It's good to know we'd probably be able to get seats if we go early - shade is important as two of my family members are rather fair-skinned! On the other hand, it would be nice to have a definite and not have to worry about it, and I like the idea of the locker. I need to think about it some more...I was reading up on some tips and such yesterday, so I still need to do more homework! thanks again!

I'm going to be visiting Universal in April for a solo trip. I'm going to be there 3 days and was wondering if Volcano Bay was worth it for a solo traveller. Any tips for vising alone? Thanks!

I just went this morning solo, and went last August solo also. I enjoy water parks and slides so it is worth it for me! I went early this morning (9 AM early entry) and rode Krakatau 3 times by myself because there was no line. The next 2 times I rode it I was put with other people. Most people are very nice about it. I also rode the family raft rides Maku and Puhi which seat 6, with other groups. The park was quite empty this morning.

I see rides included in the Express Pass, but none of the options include Volcano Bay. So that one would be an extra purchase once we are there? I think I"m following things!

https://www.universalorlando.com/we...es/index.html#participating-rides-attractions - this lists rides at Volcano Bay that are included.

Yes, the Volcano Bay Express Pass is not included with the hotel stays and is separate from the Express Passes that can be purchased for Studios and Islands. The Volcano Bay EP must be purchased and is completely separate. However, it has not been sold all of the time. If it is being sold currently, then you may have to purchase it at the park or ticket booths/counters, instead of online. The VB EP rules keep changing.

Is this advice for those staying onsite? We are staying at DW so we are unable to do the early opening offered for hotel guests.

I just found out they have Early MH every day at VB for hotel guests. So now my ? is, if the park opens at 8 am for hotel guests and then 9 am for everyone else, when should I arrive for the line to get in at 9? It will be spring break so I am expecting high crowd levels. Do I get there at 8:15 and wait in line until they open for everyone else, or even earlier?

I recently watched videos of VB during high crowd level and the waits were 100 to 200 min for the most popular rides. Also, the lazy river entrances were fully packed with large groups of people waiting. And the wave pool was ridiculous. I have never at either of DW water parks in the summer seen crowds like that in the wave pool. So now I really want to make sure I am there in the front of the line for opening to public.

What time do you think makes sense?

From being there last week, the opening procedures as they currently stand is they reserve a certain number of tapstiles for hotel guests and then have more set aside to start operating for the general public. If you want to be at the front of the offsite rush, I suggest getting to Universal property an hour before it opens to non-resort guest. that will give you plenty of time to navigate the parking, security, and buses and be waiting at the front or very near the front of one of the tapstiles when the park opens for all.

Hope this helps.

PS Missed seeing when you were going, but last week it was extremely uncrowded. It was a Tuesday in February, but temps hit the upper eighties. Never waited in a line all day, everything was ride now. I'm sure there were some line, but I never noticed as we ride all the big ones early and then laze the middle of the day away in the rivers and pools before heading out after lunch.

My most recent review of Volcano Bay:

-the foliage is really coming in from when we were there last June. It's really growing into a nicely themed park.

-also, everything looks so much nicer with all the construction either finished or nearly finished. They had Honu and Ike Moana down during our trip which is good to see them doing preventative maintenance and working hard to keep the park up.

-Krakatoa is FASTER than it was in June. And it was a blast then! Confirmed this with the ride operators that they have tweaked it up in speed a bit since they've gotten a majority of the bugs out. Great air time on a few of the drops. Still my favorite water ride anywhere.

-Tewa is also very much improved from June. Love using the vests instead of the tubes. So much more intense being IN the river instead of ON the river. And all the elements were working making it a great intense ride! Loved it!

-I'm officially "too good" at Punga racers for my own well-being. I nearly had a huge wipeout on the ride that would of involved flipping over and riding down on my bum. LOL! I slid halfway off the mat and it took a miracle to get me back on. Still beat everyone by a good five seconds.

-the new tapus were a wash. Mine worked great, my son's must of popped loose a good half dozen times. Surprised we didn't lose it in the washing machine, er Tewa.

-A wonderful enjoyable day overall. Travelling from Hard Rock was easier than I thought it would be and we got our favorite loungers. Rode everything we wanted with no wait and enjoyed all the amenities.

Great park and it has only gotten better since I was there last!

My most recent review of Volcano Bay:

-the foliage is really coming in from when we were there last June. It's really growing into a nicely themed park.

-also, everything looks so much nicer with all the construction either finished or nearly finished. They had Honu and Ike Moana down during our trip which is good to see them doing preventative maintenance and working hard to keep the park up.

-Krakatoa is FASTER than it was in June. And it was a blast then! Confirmed this with the ride operators that they have tweaked it up in speed a bit since they've gotten a majority of the bugs out. Great air time on a few of the drops. Still my favorite water ride anywhere.

-Tewa is also very much improved from June. Love using the vests instead of the tubes. So much more intense being IN the river instead of ON the river. And all the elements were working making it a great intense ride! Loved it!

-I'm officially "too good" at Punga racers for my own well-being. I nearly had a huge wipeout on the ride that would of involved flipping over and riding down on my bum. LOL! I slid halfway off the mat and it took a miracle to get me back on. Still beat everyone by a good five seconds.

-the new tapus were a wash. Mine worked great, my son's must of popped loose a good half dozen times. Surprised we didn't lose it in the washing machine, er Tewa.

-A wonderful enjoyable day overall. Travelling from Hard Rock was easier than I thought it would be and we got our favorite loungers. Rode everything we wanted with no wait and enjoyed all the amenities.

Great park and it has only gotten better since I was there last!

Hi I remember when we were on this thread last spring about what to expect and all the stuff happening. We also went last summer and knew that once the kinks started getting worked out it would be even better. We had a great time and thought it was a great park. I am so glad to hear your positive review on it. We will be heading back there the end of June for a week and we can't wait to go back. If they are selling express pass that day we might get it. I am not sure yet. We will get our seats by the dancing dragon again, that was a great spot with our Aqua Vault.

I will be at RPR this time and not CBBR. It was so easy to walk there last time, I am glad to hear the shuttles are easy.

Did they finish the second phase of the park or is that on hold do you know?

Thanks for a great report!

Hi I remember when we were on this thread last spring about what to expect and all the stuff happening. We also went last summer and knew that once the kinks started getting worked out it would be even better. We had a great time and thought it was a great park. I am so glad to hear your positive review on it. We will be heading back there the end of June for a week and we can't wait to go back. If they are selling express pass that day we might get it. I am not sure yet. We will get our seats by the dancing dragon again, that was a great spot with our Aqua Vault.

I will be at RPR this time and not CBBR. It was so easy to walk there last time, I am glad to hear the shuttles are easy.

You said you used an aqua vault. Are you referring to this?
https://www.amazon.com/FlexSafe-Aqu...19682530&sr=8-1&keywords=flex+safe+aqua+vault
If so, how did it work out for you? I just bought one of these for me June trip.

You said you used an aqua vault. Are you referring to this?
https://www.amazon.com/FlexSafe-Aqu...19682530&sr=8-1&keywords=flex+safe+aqua+vault
If so, how did it work out for you? I just bought one of these for me June trip.

https://www.amazon.com/AquaVault-Resistant-Reprogramable-Combination-Universal/dp/B00HYXHPNG

Hi this is the one that I purchased last summer. I love this thing. Yours looks like it does the same thing as mine but also yours is more portable for other situations. I hooked mine to the back of the lounge chair like the photo in the one you bought and it worked great. We used it at VB, our local water parks and the resort pool. It kept our stuff safe and I didn't have to worry. What I did because there was a little gap where water could get in I put my phones in little ziploc bags for extra protection. I think no matter what the design this is a great idea to use.

https://www.amazon.com/AquaVault-Resistant-Reprogramable-Combination-Universal/dp/B00HYXHPNG

Hi this is the one that I purchased last summer. I love this thing. Yours looks like it does the same thing as mine but also yours is more portable for other situations. I hooked mine to the back of the lounge chair like the photo in the one you bought and it worked great. We used it at VB, our local water parks and the resort pool. It kept our stuff safe and I didn't have to worry. What I did because there was a little gap where water could get in I put my phones in little ziploc bags for extra protection. I think no matter what the design this is a great idea to use.

Thank you for the quick response!! I will definitely be taking a ziplock bag for our phones!

Didn't even think to look into that, lol. Nothing new beyond the initial line-up besides the things they were intending to complete in phase one.

The funny thing about the seats is that I think your favorite seats are probably my favorite seats too! LOL! Closest umbrella on the beach to the Dragons bar, right? We park there every time! :teeth:

I was hanging out in front of Dancing Dragons Saturday and Sunday morning myself. Great minds think alike! While very uncrowded at 9 AM, when I left about 12:30 on Saturday Krakatau was showing 180 minute wait.

Since I was solo I left my phone at the hotel and just used a lanyard for my cards. Very nice not to rent a locker.

Didn't even think to look into that, lol. Nothing new beyond the initial line-up besides the things they were intending to complete in phase one.

The funny thing about the seats is that I think your favorite seats are probably my favorite seats too! LOL! Closest umbrella on the beach to the Dragons bar, right? We park there every time! :teeth:
Good morning. Care to show me on the map where those seats are? I'm taking good notes for our August trip! Thanks!

Good morning. Care to show me on the map where those seats are? I'm taking good notes for our August trip! Thanks!

universal-volcano-bay-map-800x1024#3.jpg

Hi on the map where the number 2 is off to the right in front of the volcano. I have circled it in black. This is the Dancing Dragons area where we have gotten the chairs. You would go into VB and head right on the sand in front of the Volcano and keep going till you see the Dancing Dragons red and yellow flag and the hut like restaurant.

View attachment 305422

Hi on the map where the number 2 is off to the right in front of the volcano. I have circled it in black. This is the Dancing Dragons area where we have gotten the chairs. You would go into VB and head right on the sand in front of the Volcano and keep going till you see the Dancing Dragons red and yellow flag and the hut like restaurant.
Thank you Bobbie, very much appreciated!

From being there last week, the opening procedures as they currently stand is they reserve a certain number of tapstiles for hotel guests and then have more set aside to start operating for the general public. If you want to be at the front of the offsite rush, I suggest getting to Universal property an hour before it opens to non-resort guest. that will give you plenty of time to navigate the parking, security, and buses and be waiting at the front or very near the front of one of the tapstiles when the park opens for all.

Hope this helps.

PS Missed seeing when you were going, but last week it was extremely uncrowded. It was a Tuesday in February, but temps hit the upper eighties. Never waited in a line all day, everything was ride now. I'm sure there were some line, but I never noticed as we ride all the big ones early and then laze the middle of the day away in the rivers and pools before heading out after lunch.

Thank you, this is definitely helpful.
We will be going April 18th so I am sure we will not have the luck you had with lines. I’ll Just have to have a good plan.
That’s great there were no lines and upper 80’s is perfect weather for a water park. You and your family must have had a blast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter