Venture outside your comfort zone: the rewards are worth it! KSellers88’s Journal (Comments Welcome)

Yay extra bling!

You've put in so much hard work during this training cycle, and I'm really excited to see you go out there and smash your goal. You got this!

Have an awesome race!

Thank you!
Ok, if you can't tell the difference between a 10:12 and an 8:39 mile pace, you are BEYOND READY to crush your race :worship:. Have an awesome time; looking forward to the report!

LOL, thanks!

These Rock N Roll bibs are SO LARGE. It's insane! I am tracking you on the RnR app (which is how I knew you finished the one mile race) so I will get a pop up when you start and finish the half this weekend! Rooting for you big time Kristin!

They are! Thank you so much!

Good luck! You’ve got this!

Thanks!

:woohoo:

Have a great race!!!! :-)

Thanks!

You’re going to crush it!!

Thank you!

You are doing so amazing! Go K go!!!!

Woo hoo!

You are amazing! Congrats!

Thank you! YOU are amazing!

:banana:

I’m dying to hear how it went! I’m guessing you crushed it!!!!

:cool1:

Ah-mAy-Zing!!!!!!! Celebrate! You deserve it!!!!

Thank you! :thumbsup2

Sooooooo faaaaassssst!!!!!
Awesome and super impressive!!!!!

Thanks! :jumping1:

:love::worship: Thank you! Couldn't have done it without you!

:rotfl:You can do it, girl!

Congratulations!!!! Amazing!! Can’t wait to read about it!!!

Thanks! Getting there.

Congrats!!!!!

:thanks:

Congrats! I’m so happy for you! party:

:love: Thank you so much!

Great job! Way to conquer those hills!

Thanks! They were no joke for sure!

RACE RECAP: Rock n' Roll Nashville Half Marathon

Disclaimer: Ok, y'all. I will try to keep this short, but I am so excited that it may be a novel.

We headed to Nashville on Thursday morning, checked into our condo, and headed straight to the expo. They let you park at Nissan Stadium for free and walk over the pedestrian bridge to Music City Center for the expo. I was running the one mile race on Thursday so I could get all the medals, so after the expo we had a quick dinner and walked back over the bridge to Nissan Stadium where the one mile race was held. My watch died before the start (no surprise there!) so I ended up running it way faster than my 10:12 pace.

Friday we spent the day touring Nashville on a hop on-hop off trolley. I absolutely loved Nasvhille and highly recommend it if you have never been, especially if you are a country music lover like me. Friday night rolled around and I had my usual Papa Johns pizza and cheese sticks, got everything ready for the next morning and headed to sleep. IMG_5136.jpg

I slept so good and woke up about 15 minutes before my alarm! I ate my Clif Bar, Honey Stinger waffle, drank my water, took my medicine, got dressed and headed to meet two friends to walk the one mile to the start from our condo. I think walking with them really helped calm my nerves, because I was a hot mess while eating breakfast and getting ready. I ate my half a banana and drank my last sips of water on the walk to the start area.

Once we got to the start area we split up because I needed to warm up and they had to check a bag. I used the porta potty and started my warm up. @DopeyBadger said to run easy for about 10-15 minutes, so I ran right at one mile. At this point we were 15 minutes from the start, and I needed to potty again. Unfortunately the lines were ridiculous and I knew I would not make it to my corral on time if I waited. This is probably TMI, but let's just say I found a dumpster in a discreet area and then I was good to go! I was not the only one doing this though, so I didn't feel too bad. :rotfl2:

IMG_5139.jpg

I headed to my corral, got my music ready and waited for the start. The first few miles were the largest hill climbs, so I tried to be conservative and hold a consistent pace. Miles 1 through 3 were 8:29, 8:25 and 8:32 pace. I had studied the course, so I knew it flattened out for a bit before another climb around mile 6, so I sped up a little for miles 4 and 5 and ran those at a 8:12 and 8:08 pace. Mile 6 and 7 were both rolling hills again, so my splits slowed down to 8:24 and 8:21.
elevation.jpg
The course then flattened out again and I was able to run the next 4 miles at 8:11, 8:12, 8:07 and 8:00. Mile 12 was another uphill and that mile was an 8:20. This was my last mile in the 8:00s, as I was able to kick it into high gear and run the last mile in 7:59. The final .21 of the race was a 6:26 pace! As soon as I passed that 13 mile marker I knew that every second counted. I rounded the corner to the finish line and could not believe that I had actually done it! I still can't quite believe it. My final time was actually 1:48:37 for an 8:17 average pace.
You can just barely see me in front of the announcer booth about to cross the finish line (thanks hubby for the pic!).
IMG_5206.JPG
We were able to run down Broadway, Music Row, Belmont University, the Gulch, 12South, past the State Capital, through Bicentennial Park with the finish line at Nissan Stadium. The weather was absolutely perfect for running. It was in the high 40s at the start and near the 60s at the finish with no rain and minimal wind. After the finish, I got my medal, water, gatorade, banana, chocolate milk, pretzels and cookies and attempted to find my husband. We then got a few pictures and went to pick up my Remix Challenge medal for running the one mile race and the half.

IMG_5172.jpg IMG_5182.jpg
IMG_5198.jpg

We then made the walk back to our condo where we changed and headed out to see more sights and go to the outlet mall (got three new running outfits at Under Armour as PR present! :rotfl:). After that, we headed back down to Broadway for dinner and I got my signature after race meal of ice cream.

IMG_5226.jpg IMG_5235.jpg

I would absolutely recommend this race to anyone. Rock n' Roll races are always so much fun and so organized, and Nashville did not disappoint. I couldn't have asked for better results after 14 weeks and over 500 miles of training. I had been stuck at the 1:56 mark for my half marathon PR for almost two years. Literally, some of my prior race times were 1:56:04, 1:56:06, 1:56:07, 1:59:40, and 1:59:55. There was something about the 1:56 barrier that I could not break and I am SO happy that I was able to achieve my goal this weekend. Thank you all so much for your support and encouragement over the past weeks of training, especially Coach @DopeyBadger!

FullSizeR.jpg

PS. If you read all that, you deserve a donut, cookie and big bowl of ice cream. LOL

Now...what's next??? :idea:

What an awesome race recap. Your times are fantastic, especially with those hills in the beginning of the course! And I never thought of ice cream as a post race snack...I might have to add that to my next race! Glad to be following along your training journal.

I love the recap. You did such an awesome job and I'm so happy for you!!
Also, I love the PR celebration shopping. A woman after my own heart. (Also, I love your dress!)

Love the recap! Ice cream and new running clothes is my type of celebrating! I love that dress with the cowboy boots!

What an awesome race recap. Your times are fantastic, especially with those hills in the beginning of the course! And I never thought of ice cream as a post race snack...I might have to add that to my next race! Glad to be following along your training journal.

Thank you so much! I am glad I studied the course beforehand, because that really would have been a downer if I had not known it was coming. Ice cream is my go to snack after a race, and pizza is my go to before race meal! LOL.

No doubt about it, that's really darn impressive! Major kudos!

Thanks, Coach! :love:

I love the recap. You did such an awesome job and I'm so happy for you!!
Also, I love the PR celebration shopping. A woman after my own heart. (Also, I love your dress!)

Thank you! LOL! I could've bought more work clothes, but how boring is that?! Thanks! It's from banana republic.

Amazing run! Great Recap!

Thank you!

You’re my hero!!! Lol! Awesome recap! Amazing race! Love the bling and ice cream!

LOL, thanks! I absolutely love the medal, and the ice cream of course!

Loved the recap! And the ice cream! Awesome job. So very inspiring. :)

Thank you so much!

I ate an ice cream sandwich because I read your recap. #enabling

Congrats again!

LOL! I am proud to be an enabler! You were a donut enabler, so I was just returning the favor! Thank you!

Love the recap! Ice cream and new running clothes is my type of celebrating! I love that dress with the cowboy boots!

Yes! Thank you! I do not recommend walking over a mile in cowboy boots after a half marathon though. :rotfl2:

I'm eating sees candy because I read your reacp. #enabling.

What an awesome race, congratulations!!! You worked hard and totally crushed that PR, and earned ice cream and new clothes at the same time! Wins all around.

I'm eating sees candy because I read your reacp. #enabling.

What an awesome race, congratulations!!! You worked hard and totally crushed that PR, and earned ice cream and new clothes at the same time! Wins all around.

Thank you so much! I love being an enabler. I had a reese's king size last night and this morning I've had two mini twix, a mini snickers and bag of M&Ms. LOL. Having Employee Appreciation Week the week following a half marathon was my best plan ever!

I appreciate your encouragement so much!

Great recap and pics!!! You definitely earned the new outfits and ice cream! Congrats!

I've always wanted to do this race, but the timing never seems to work out...someday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter