• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Vegetarian perspective on Jiko/Boma

Fibbersfan

Earning My Ears
Dined at both Jiko/Boma during our 09/2006 trip. Both restaurants have vegetarian selections. I found that Boma was hit and miss for vegetarians. The first night I dined at Boma there was a wonderful veggie curry and sweet corn soup. There were other selections, but nothing special. I liked both the veggie dishes so much the first night that I went again two nights later. Both these dishes had been replaced by other veggie dishes. The rice dish and sweet potato soup were not as impressive. You pay a lot to go to Boma and overall I think it's a nice experience for a vegetarian. You may want to take a look at the buffet before making your decision. It should be noted that Boma was an excellent choice for a meat eater.

I was dissapointed with Jiko. There was one vegetarian item listed on the menu. It was a warm cous cous salad. I asked the waiter if the chef can prepare any other veggie item and he quickly stated "no". The cous cous salad was mediocre and overpriced. The banana leaf veggie tamale as an appetizer was good....as were the deserts. The deserts were actually extremely good Jiko. I would recommend that Jiko place an additional veggie item on the menu or make the chefs more open to meeting customer requests. Again, Jiko was an excellent selection for a meat eater. As a vegetarian, I would not return to Jiko as long as there are options like California Grill out there. For the price (or the two credit dining meal option)...you are much better off at a place like California Grill.

It should be noted that the atmosphere at both Boma and Jiko were nice.

Thanks for your review. We'll be at Boma in Dec. and this will be my first time there. I'm also veggie, and am looking forward to it. :goodvibes

Thank you for your reviews! I've been wanting to try Boma..when I try it, I'll report back on the vegetarian selections.

Interesting! I am of mixed feelings about WDW and veggie. Totally agree with you on Boma - it gets such good reviews, but as the menu changes during the week it may be hit or miss. A few times I have been on Green Bean night and that really limits my choices. Sorry, just because I am a veggie does not mean that I am a green bean fan.

Re Jiko I am more surprised. I called over one day frustrated to the limit with dining choices and identified myself as a frustrated veggie. On arrival, Chef Annette had prepared a full menu with numerous veggie options for appetizers and entrees. I was very impressed, but obviously it does depend on who is around that night...

I would also say that I have had several times where communication is an issue at Boma when the servers just don't understand the term 'vegetarian'.

Thanks for the review of Boma. :thumbsup2 I'll be eating there in March along with another vegetarian. This is the one place that my mom is really looking forward to but she is a meat eater so she will be ok.

Based on previous visits, I'm surprised at your disappointment in Jiko. My daughter is a vegetarian and she has always enjoyed dining both there and at Boma. At Jiko we start with the Taste of Africa. Do they no longer have the Grains, Peas and Vegetables as an entree choice? That is (was) a great choice, easily split between two people since there was so much food and we had to leave room for dessert! The desserts at Jiko are wonderful :)

I'm concerned after reading this. We have ADRS at Jiko for Thanksgiving. Every other place was booked! I really wanted a buffet somewhere. I am a vegetarian also and I hope there will be something for me to eat!

Fairy Tale Bride:
I think if you call Jiko directly (just call the AKL and ask to speak w/ Chef Anette Gray), she'll probably be able to help you out.

Fairy_Tale_Bride said:
I'm concerned after reading this. We have ADRS at Jiko for Thanksgiving. Every other place was booked! I really wanted a buffet somewhere. I am a vegetarian also and I hope there will be something for me to eat!

Have you checked out the menu? For Thanksgiving Jiko offers a "special holiday offering" plus the regular menu items.

http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menu_jiko.htm

As I said in another post, my DD (27) is a vegetarian and Jiko is one of her favorite WDW restaurants. Don't worry ~ there's plenty there for you to eat. Also, as uncleromulus suggested, if you are still concerned after you arrive for your vacation just call Jiko and speak to the chef.

A friend of DH raves about Ohana breakfast, but when we looked a the menu there was very little there for vegetarians. Anyone here know anythign about this?

I just had dinner at Jiko, I am ovo-lacto, and I received great service and had great food. Upon my arrival, I was given a vegetarian menu by our hostess...plenty of choices...I did fill up on the apps alone...Love the Tamales and the tomato cucumber salad...The veg entree was a multi grain pilaf with black chickpeas, veggies and tofu...more protein than eating a steak:-). But I understand, from a fellow Jiko fanatic, that the Chef is very flexible and does things for vegan and vegetarians all the time. She had an "Unplugged" before, a plate filled with all the "sides"on the Jiko menu...and there is a salad on the menu paired with salmon I think, that one can have minus the fish...I think it is okay to ask, or better yet to plan ahead...have fun, you will have a great time at Jiko eating vegetarian. I will be back in January...

As others have said, be sure to speak directly to a chef if you aren't happy with the offerings at either Boma or Jiko. Don't let a server dissuade you from talking to someone if you don't like what you are being offered!

A friend of mine had a wonderful experience at Boma where a chef came out from behind the buffet stations, showed her around and then made a special veggie dish for her. I think they really want everyone to be happy!

Thanks for the reviews, sorry to hear you were disappointed with Jiko. I too am surprised at the way you were treated. I would have thought they would have been more accomodating. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter