Vegas, Grand Canyon, Zion Vacation

Day 5:

I forgot to mention on day 4 that I looked at the hoover dam website since our plan was to head there on day 5 when we left Zion. In big red letters was an announcement that there would be no Dam tours through May 26. :(

So we packed up the car and had to go to the front desk for ice for the cooler. I mentioned to the desk clerk that the AC unit in our room rattled and made it a little hard to sleep. She said she would have them look at it. We dealt with it but I figured the next person might not be happy about it. When we drove over to the front desk building, my husband said there was a low tire message on the dash. :guilty:

Side note: I'll never admit this but on the day we picked the car up I looked at the front tire and thought it looked a little low. But I'm not mechanical in any way and figured it was my imagination. Guess not.

We went next door to a gas station and my husband put air in the same tire I thought was low on day 1. This is when he got grouchy. Did I mention he does not handle stress well? So I get on google maps and look ahead at where we might have the tire looked at before we get too far out of town. We drove about 10 miles and found a town with a good size gas station. My husband tried to buy a tire gauge but they didn't have any. Next door was a Family dollar where he bought one and also a soft sided cooler bag. :-) We decided we should have the tire looked at so i found a tire place nearby. Tire Pros. They were super nice and worked us in. They found a nail in the tire and repaired it for $17. We were on our way in an hour. Good thing we fixed it because the next hour or so of driving was through the virgin river gorge on I15. The road was nice but it was in the middle of nowhere on hills and curves. Fantastic views, but not for sissies.

We made it to the Vegas area and decided to go ahead to the Dam even though there were no tours. We paid $10 to park and we walked around on top of the dam. After about an hour we headed towards the Mirage where we would be staying. Along the way we were nearly sideswiped by a car that was driving really fast. Scared me to death and I couldn't wait to get parked again. I was a little worried about getting through all the Vegas traffic around the strip.

We made it safely to the Mirage self parking garage. Parking is $15 for 24 hours. We went to the front desk to see about our room. I had done mobile check in and was supposed to get an email with a room number but had not received it yet. I knew that in vegas, it can take a while to get a room. I decided to play dumb and went to the mobile check in desk. I told them I did mobile check in but wasn't sure if I did it correctly since I got no confirmation email. The man at the desk was very nice and looked us up. He switched our room to one that was ready. He told me our original room just wasn't ready yet. So off we went to our double queen room with volcano view. It was $457 for 2 nights including the resort fees.

For dinner I wanted to go to the buffet. It is a little over $30 per person and they have wine and beer included. My husband does not drink and my son is too young but I had some wine. The chef came out and walked through the buffet with us to make sure my husband would be satisfied with the selection. Once he saw the carving station, he knew he could find plenty to eat. The food was pretty good. There were crab legs available. We left pretty full. The total with tip was about $109.

After dinner the guys went to the Beatles Love show. Those 2 tickets were $212. They enjoyed the show. I spent $10 on the slots while they were there. After the show we went to the Bellagio to watch the fountains. They were in awe of the size of the resorts, especially Caesars. It had been a long day so we turned in for the night.

Still here and enjoying your trip report. I find it interesting that you found parts of the drive a bit "intimidating". Being from Jersey, all of our land is pretty flat, I mean we have "mountains" in the north west part of the state but NOTHING like the topography out west. I was amazed at the landscape. Zion is GORGEOUS!!! I can't wait to get back to Vegas so we can do Bryce and Monument Valley. In February, we went to Zion, Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe Bend and Page, Arizona. We saw parts of the Grand Staircase Escalante on the way back. Last June we did the Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam.

I'm trying to convince my hubby to go back west-this time to check out the NPs in California. He hates to fly so for him to have done it multiple times in a two year timeframe is a miracle. Looking forward to hearing more about your Vegas stay.

Still here and enjoying your trip report. I find it interesting that you found parts of the drive a bit "intimidating". Being from Jersey, all of our land is pretty flat, I mean we have "mountains" in the north west part of the state but NOTHING like the topography out west. I was amazed at the landscape. Zion is GORGEOUS!!! I can't wait to get back to Vegas so we can do Bryce and Monument Valley. In February, we went to Zion, Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe Bend and Page, Arizona. We saw parts of the Grand Staircase Escalante on the way back. Last June we did the Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam.

I'm trying to convince my hubby to go back west-this time to check out the NPs in California. He hates to fly so for him to have done it multiple times in a two year timeframe is a miracle. Looking forward to hearing more about your Vegas stay.
I want to go to Yosemite. That's my next goal.

I am still here and enjoying your report, too! Thanks so much for taking the time to share it with us.:)

Thanks for this trip report! We are planning a week long trip in October. GC, Page, Bryce, Zion to Vegas. I'm a little concerned about the drive. I don't do well with heights and fall away cliffs. Just about everything I've read says that the interstates are fine to drive on out there. I had a panic attack a couple of years ago driving to Yosemite so I REALLY, REALLY don't want to drive on scary roads. Now you've got me a little freaked out that the roads out there aren't so good. I've been watching YouTube videos on drives through Zion, etc. and they mostly look okay. A few dicey spots here and there.

I find it interesting that you found parts of the drive a bit "intimidating".

What was your opinion on the drive? We are planning a similar trip in the fall and I'm worried about the drive. I've been researching and watching videos on YouTube but so far, they seem okay. I drove a road to Yosemite a couple of years ago that frightened me terribly. I'm hopeful that the roads in Utah are a little better (or that I can handle it better!).

We are doing Vegas, Zion, and Hoover Dam for the first time in June. Really like this detailed report. We are hiking the Narrows in Zion, and will do another hike or two as well. I read about the Emerald Pools. Any others that you or others could recommend?

What was your opinion on the drive? We are planning a similar trip in the fall and I'm worried about the drive. I've been researching and watching videos on YouTube but so far, they seem okay. I drove a road to Yosemite a couple of years ago that frightened me terribly. I'm hopeful that the roads in Utah are a little better (or that I can handle it better!).
I was intimidated. Lots of winding roads with the mountains jutting out all around you. Switchbacks too. The drive to Page took us through rural areas with very little cell service (I have T Mobile). My DH drove for the most part. I couldn't do that drive.

We are doing Vegas, Zion, and Hoover Dam for the first time in June. Really like this detailed report. We are hiking the Narrows in Zion, and will do another hike or two as well. I read about the Emerald Pools. Any others that you or others could recommend?
We did the Emerald Pools trail since we stayed at Zion Lodge. It was too cold to do the Narrows (went in Feb) due to most of the trail being in the water. I'm not sure I would do it anyway as I'm a bit claustrophobic. "Wall street" looks great but I am too chicken to do it. If i were you, I would I pick up the "Moon" guidebooks. We used them extensively and they were awesome. I have the "Zion and Bryce NP" one and the "Utah " one.

Thanks for this trip report! We are planning a week long trip in October. GC, Page, Bryce, Zion to Vegas. I'm a little concerned about the drive. I don't do well with heights and fall away cliffs. Just about everything I've read says that the interstates are fine to drive on out there. I had a panic attack a couple of years ago driving to Yosemite so I REALLY, REALLY don't want to drive on scary roads. Now you've got me a little freaked out that the roads out there aren't so good. I've been watching YouTube videos on drives through Zion, etc. and they mostly look okay. A few dicey spots here and there.
Check out videos and maps of Zion-mt. Carmel tunnel road. Seriously not for the faint of heart but we survived it.

The interstates really are pretty good. I40 from Vegas to Williams is good. The road to page is flat but as said by another poster there is nothing along the way. It's Navajo Land. The gps worked fine though. Once you get to kanab there are a few businesses and then you aren't too far from Zion. However that's when you start to climb again. It's a beautiful drive but you just have to take your time.

Last edited:
Are there bus tours one can take instead of driving? I am not married and would love to take my DD and myself to the western parks, but I would be very nervous/anxious doing all that scary driving myself. Many years ago, I drew the short stick to drive my family across the Conor Pass in Ireland (wrong side of the road, to boot!) and I don't think I could do it again at my more advanced age. I am definitely more chicken than I used to be!

Last edited:
Are there bus tours one can take instead of driving? I am not married and would love to take my DD and myself to the western parks, but I would be very nervous/anxious doing all that scary driving myself. Many ears ago, I drew the short stick to drive my family across the Connor Pass in Ireland (wrong side of the road, to boot!) and I don't think I could do it again at my more advanced age. I am definitely more chicken than I used to be!
We saw lots of tour busses at Grand Canyon and a few in Zion. Not sure where they originated.

As I mentioned earlier we did the drive through all the parks. The drive into Zion from the east is so beautiful!! I didn't think that part was too scary. My DH doesn't like heights and I think he did better driving since he was looking at the roads and not the drop-offs. The worst driving part for us was driving through the Grand Escalante Staircase. There were portions with drop offs on both sides. My DH decided to get a nosebleed during one of those sections while driving!! He and my DS had multiple nosebleeds the whole trip, but that one was really bad timing! We had to pull over as soon as we could, but that is easier said than done in those parts. We saw tons of motor homes and tour buses and every time we passed them up I was like you could NOT pay me to be in one of those on these roads. Just something to keep in mind @FQLover . I had originally looked in to renting a motorhome for the trip, I am so glad we did not. I think being higher up in the bus/motorhome plus being "heavy" I would just feel very unsafe. But lots of people do it so I guess it is up to your comfort level.

The narrows was our very favorite hike of the whole trip! We did rent the equipment (shoes and poles). I am glad we did, but there was plenty of people who did not and were doing fine. We did the Emerald Pools and the narrows on the same day. I wish we had allotted more time for the Narrows. We did 2 nights in Zion but basically only 1 day. More time is definitely needed there. I really wanted to do the Angel Landing trail but I made the mistake of showing it to my family and they all vetoed me. But I am really glad we did the narrows. Be sure to see the upper Emerald Pool too when you do that hike.

Are there bus tours one can take instead of driving? I am not married and would love to take my DD and myself to the western parks, but I would be very nervous/anxious doing all that scary driving myself. Many years ago, I drew the short stick to drive my family across the Conor Pass in Ireland (wrong side of the road, to boot!) and I don't think I could do it again at my more advanced age. I am definitely more chicken than I used to be!
Try gctours. We used them for the Grand Canyon tour. Small groups and friendly guides. Looks like they also do Bryce and Zion as well as Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend.

Last edited:
The narrows was our very favorite hike of the whole trip! We did rent the equipment (shoes and poles). I am glad we did, but there was plenty of people who did not and were doing fine. We did the Emerald Pools and the narrows on the same day. I wish we had allotted more time for the Narrows. We did 2 nights in Zion but basically only 1 day. More time is definitely needed there. I really wanted to do the Angel Landing trail but I made the mistake of showing it to my family and they all vetoed me. But I am really glad we did the narrows. Be sure to see the upper Emerald Pool too when you do that hike.
A 13 year old girl died hiking Angels Landing a few days before we arrived. Needless to say, we stuck to An easy hike like Emerald pools. It was also close to the lodge which is where we stayed.

Thanks, everyone, for the info. I will definitely look up gctours,@Ngwira. I have to get much more fit before I can consider this kind of a trip as a reality, but it is good to get myself motivated.

I am also a teacher and have to vacation in the hot summer--a touring bus (although the idea of them sitting so high on the road and careening around hairpin turns is unsettling, to be sure) that is air conditioned and letting folks out for scenic views and short walks does seem more doable for me. I love nature and gorgeous vistas and stunning scenery; I can easily believe that my hiking days are all behind me but.....perhaps not with a year to get in better shape, work out, lose weight? That poor young girl!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter