Vegas, Grand Canyon, Zion Vacation

kymom99

DIS Veteran
I'll share some ways we saved and some budget busters from our vacation. Many of these points apply to any vacation and hopefully they can help others. We left home with $300 in cash and came home with some, but I used my credit card for almost everything. There were 3 of us, me, husband, and our 18 year old son.

Most of our trips go fairly smoothly. This one did not. In fact, when we heard the song Holiday Road from National Lampoon's Vacation, it seemed quite fitting.

Day 1:
We had an early flight (landing at 9:35) and my son bought a fancy coffee. My husband bought some airport candy and pork rinds ($14.16). I bought a bottle of diet coke. I hate spending money in airports but it was vacation so I didn't fuss. We also had a box of beef sticks and a variety of granola bars with us from home. And a banana. Husband and son got upgraded to comfort +. They also got precheck for security. I got neither. But on the upside, I ended up in a row with just one other passenger and an empty middle seat between us. So no complaints there. I'll also add they were on a separate reservation because I booked their tickets using miles and paid for my ticket. We also got free bags because I have a Delta Skymiles American express card.

We flew into Vegas and rented a car. We tipped the shuttle driver $5. I had planned to eat at El Pollo Loco. I signed up online and had a free entrée coming. My husband has food allergies and this place had plenty he could eat. And it's not expensive. After an early flight I knew we would be hungry and had a long drive ahead of us. However, Garmin let us down. She apparently knows nothing of El Pollo Loco, even though she had been recently updated. I was mildly stressed by the whole flying, finding the rental car place, juggling everything and I forgot I had noted the address of the best location on my itinerary. So we ended up at In N Out instead. Not a budget buster, so all was well. We spent about $21 for 3 of us. We drove immediately to Kingman, AZ and went to the little museum they have there. It was ok, not expensive, and a good way to stretch our legs for an hour. We were right on schedule.

As planned we went to Walmart in Kingman to stock up for the next few days of the trip. Picked up a Styrofoam cooler, ice, drinks, and some food. I spent a little over $66 and that included a couple toiletry items I needed. We were not going to have a microwave at GC, just a small fridge, so here are some things we bought:
milk, cereal, peanut butter, bagels, cream cheese, bananas, grapes, water, diet coke, mountain dew, pouches of budig beef and turkey, a tub of salami, cheese cubes, sliced cheese, buns, mustard, tortilla chips, hair gel, and hair spray. Also a pack of 4 plastic bowls and some plastic cutlery. I think that's it. This simple list served us pretty well although there were a few items I had suggested that my husband vetoed. More on that later. :rolleyes1

We continued on to Seligman, which was listed as a must see on Route 66. Supposed to be the town that was the inspiration for Cars. We stopped briefly and got a snack at Delgadilla's Snow Cap. We had one shake, an order of chips and salsa, a taco, and one fountain drink. It was about $15. We walked around a little. It was okay.

We continued on to Williams and got some gas in the van. Then we headed into the grand canyon, south rim. Note that it takes an hour from Williams to the national park. It's quite a haul. We arrived in time to stop by the rim for our first view, at around 7 pm. It was breath taking.

We didn't eat another meal. It was pretty late for us, since we came from the eastern time zone. We hit the hay fairly early. It was a long day for us. We stayed at yavapai lodge inside the national park. I believe I paid about $200 per night and we stayed 3 nights. It costs a little bit more for rooms with AC, which we opted for. There are some rooms that don't have AC for something like $160 maybe. Yavapai lodge was a great location. I bought an annual pass for admission into the park. They currently cost $80.

Last edited:
I'll share some ways we saved and some budget busters from our vacation. Many of these points apply to any vacation and hopefully they can help others. We left home with $300 in cash and came home with some, but I used my credit card for almost everything. There were 3 of us, me, husband, and our 18 year old son.

Most of our trips go fairly smoothly. This one did not. In fact, when we heard the song Holiday Road from National Lampoon's Vacation, it seemed quite fitting.

Day 1:
We had an early flight (landing at 9:35) and my son bought a fancy coffee. My husband bought some airport candy and pork rinds. I bought a bottle of diet coke. I hate spending money in airports but it was vacation so I didn't fuss. We also had a box of beef sticks and a variety of granola bars with us from home. And a banana. Husband and son got upgraded to comfort +. They also got precheck for security. I got neither. But on the upside, I ended up in a row with just one other passenger and an empty middle seat between us. So no complaints there. I'll also add they were on a separate reservation because I booked their tickets using miles and paid for my ticket. We also got free bags because I have a Delta Skymiles American express card.

We flew into Vegas and rented a car. We tipped the shuttle driver $5. I had planned to eat at El Pollo Loco. I signed up online and had a free entrée coming. My husband has food allergies and this place had plenty he could eat. And it's not expensive. After an early flight I knew we would be hungry and had a long drive ahead of us. However, Garmin let us down. She apparently knows nothing of El Pollo Loco, even though she had been recently updated. I was mildly stressed by the whole flying, finding the rental car place, juggling everything and I forgot I had noted the address of the best location on my itinerary. So we ended up at In N Out instead. Not a budget buster, so all was well. We spent less that $25 for 3 of us. We drove immediately to Kingman, AZ and went to the little museum they have there. It was ok, not expensive, and a good way to stretch our legs for an hour. We were right on schedule.

As planned we went to Walmart in Kingman to stock up for the next few days of the trip. Picked up a Styrofoam cooler, ice, drinks, and some food. I spent a little over $60 and that included a couple toiletry items I needed. We were not going to have a microwave at GC, just a small fridge, so here are some things we bought:
milk, cereal, peanut butter, bagels, cream cheese, bananas, grapes, water, diet coke, mountain dew, pouches of budig beef and turkey, a tub of salami, cheese cubes, sliced cheese, buns, mustard, tortilla chips, hair gel, and hair spray. Also a pack of 4 plastic bowls and some plastic cutlery. I think that's it. This simple list served us pretty well although there were a few items I had suggested that my husband vetoed. More on that later. :rolleyes1

We continued on to Seligman, which was listed as a must see on Route 66. Supposed to be the town that was the inspiration for Cars. We stopped briefly and got a snack at Delgadilla's Snow Cap. We had one shake, an order of chips and salsa, a taco, and one fountain drink. It was about $15. We walked around a little. It was okay.

We continued on to Williams and got some gas in the van. Then we headed into the grand canyon, south rim. Note that it takes an hour from Williams to the national park. It's quite a haul. We arrived in time to stop by the rim for our first view, at around 7 pm. It was breath taking.

We didn't eat another meal. It was pretty late for us, since we came from the eastern time zone. We hit the hay fairly early. It was a long day for us.
When will you post the rest of your trip? We did a similar trip in June and feb of this year so anxious to see how you liked it.

Last edited:

When will you post the rest of your trip? We did a similar trip in June and feb of this year so anxious to see how you liked it.
After coming home this morning on the red eye my husband had me out planting the garden. :)

"I’m reading your trip report and looking forward to the rest."

Me, too! I really like seeing a trip report for a vacation that is not to a Disney property---I don't think I have read one of those before. I also like the notion of setting it up as telling your readers the ways you were able to save and the things that happened that busted your budget. Cool idea--very helpful to others, as well!

Day 2: This is where things go south a bit.

I'll start by saying that on day 1 on the plane I developed a migraine. I took a prescription pill with some water and felt somewhat better. Later that day it started to come back. I went to bed hoping to wake up feeling better.

On day 2, I woke early with a headache and that queasy feeling that often comes with it. I forced down a bagel and cream cheese so that i could take another pill. Anyone who takes sumatriptan probably knows if you take those on an empty stomach it will kill you. Well, not really but its a bad, bad idea. I laid back down hoping for relief but when I woke up I felt awful. I shoved my husband and son out the door to get themselves breakfast. In the meantime I dealt with an upset stomach. After drinking some water I decided I was ok and could tough it out and when they returned we headed out for some sight seeing.

(They ate at the yavapia lodge dining room. They both got the breakfast buffet which was $15 each. They said it was pretty good but the bacon was greasy.)

I'll try to explain how the south rim of GC is laid out. There is a rim trail that I believe is about 13 miles long. If you go to the west toward Hermit's Rest, the road is closed to cars from March-November. They have a shuttle system in place to help people get around. We went west on day 2. We rode a shuttle bus from our hotel to the Hermit's Rest transfer, then took that shuttle to the rim trail. We didn't start at the first stop because lots of people were starting there. Instead we rode in and got off at Powell Point. It was much more peaceful. The shuttles were packed and hot. I felt like I was at Disney. We walked to the next point which was less than 1 mile. I was feeling ok but hadn't had much to eat so I sucked on some hard candy. I drank plenty of water. After spending a couple hours at several overlooks, I decided I needed to head back. We got on a shuttle and, with all the stops, it took quite a while to get back to the transfer. I was feeling really nauseous. As soon as I got off the shuttle I told my husband I was going to be sick. (I apologize if that's TMI) I hurried away from the crowds and got sick. I was so embarrassed. My husband and son were so helpful. We decided it would be a bad idea to get on the shuttle to the room so my husband and son went back without me to get the car. My husband is horrible with directions so I told my son to go with him so they might find me again. I found a spot to sit and rest and after about 30 minutes they picked me up. I had to get cleaned up and then I crawled back into bed. The men were very worried and frankly so was I. What would I do if I needed medical help? It's frightening being sick so far from home.

For lunch the boys ate the food we bought at the store. Then I told them to get out and go to the visitor center and such. While they were gone I tried calling the urgent care center that is located inside the park. I got a recording and it said I could leave a message with the answering service. But when I tried it wouldn't take the message. While I was lying in bed I was getting nauseous when I would turn over and at times I felt like my heart was racing. After they returned I sent them out to get themselves some dinner. They went back to the lodge to eat. I asked them to get me a bottle of Gatorade at the general store while they were out. I'm not real sure what my son ate but I know my husband got a rotisserie chicken dinner. The cost for both was about $31. They also went to the front desk to ask how to get medical help if necessary. The people were very helpful and said the urgent care is only open M-F. (This was a Sunday). They said if needed a paramedic would evaluate me for free. They could transport to the hospital for a fee. the closest hospital is 90 minutes away. :crazy2: They also suggested I might have altitude sickness.

At the general store they got the Gatorade and my husband picked up some hard boiled eggs, paper plates, and potato salad for himself. Potato salad was one of the things my husband wasn't interested in when we went to Walmart. They also bought a little set of binoculars for my grandson for $9.99.

Once I started sipping on the Gatorade I felt slightly better. I'm sure by this time my blood sugar was in the cellar. We went to bed hoping day 3 would get better.

Last edited:
Day 3:

I woke up still feeling bad. I got a shower and got dressed. Once I was up and around I felt slightly better. I had not eaten since the bagel the day before. I was too afraid to try anything. I had sipped Gatorade through the night so I imagine that helped.

The guys had breakfast from the things in the room. We headed out for the east part of the rim trail, Desert View Drive. This part you can take your own car. We were able to pack our cooler and have some drinks and food close by. We went to the watch tower at the end and worked our way back. My son bought a cup of coffee at a little café. There was some very expensive native american art for sale there. The views were great and the stops were not nearly as crowded. My son took a short out and back hike down a trail. My favorite stop was at Shoshone Point. It is not marked with a sign but I read about it online. We saw a man propose to his girlfriend at that site. It is a one mile walk from the main road and there were more people there than I expected. After a few hours, we headed back to rest.

I thought maybe if I ate a baked potato I might feel better. I had found a restaurant in Williams that had a good gluten free menu for my husband. It's called Kicks. It is pretty expensive but it's a nice place with real table cloths and all that. My husband had a chicken dish and baked potato, my son had a bbq type of sandwich with fries and I got a baked potato a la cart. I took about 4 bites and just couldn't eat any more. the cost with tip was $50.41.

Williams is a very cute little historic town on route 66. Unfortunately I had no desire to explore it. We went to a grocery store and I bought some pepto bismal tablets and another type of liquid anti nausea medicine. I started chewing the pepto hoping it might help. I felt like I was spending a lot of extra money trying to feel better, but I guess I saved money on the meals I didn't eat for 2 days. these are good examples of what people are referring to when they say to plan for emergencies. I'm just glad I didn't have to pay a hospital bill.

After we got back from dinner we had to pack up since we were moving on the next morning. The plan was to drive to Bryce Canyon for a quick stop then go to Zion where we had a reservation for 2 nights. I decided regretfully to pass on Bryce and just go straight to Zion. I wasn't sure at that point if I really did have altitude sickness, and if I did, Bryce is even higher that GC. Also, this would allow us to take our time getting to our next hotel.

GC was just stunning. I wish I had better memories of it, but we made the best of it. If I ever get to go back I will try to see the sunrise and sunset as I had originally planned.

Last edited:
Awe, so sorry that you were sick on your trip. I am sure you planned it for a while and how disappointing to have to miss out and feel bad. I hope you are able to go back and see Bryce Canyon at some point. We did a similar trip last year - Las Vegas - Grand Canyon - Lake Powell - Monument Valley - Moab - Bryce Canyon - Zion. We also stayed at Yapavai Lodge in the Grand Canyon. Every stop was so beautiful and different than the last stop. Bryce Canyon and Zion are both places I would love to go back and explore some more. The hoodoos at Bryce were just breathtaking. Looking forward to hear more about your trip.

Last edited:
I'll continue while its still fresh.

Day 4:

We left for Zion, traveling east. The plan was to stop in Page for an early lunch, but since we left a bit later, the boys ate something before we left. When we checked out, I picked up another Gatorade and a chocolate chip cookie. It was the only thing I could look at and not feel blech about. At least I was able to consider eating. I ate the cookie and kept it down, so that was a great start. In Page we got gas and were going to stop in McDonalds. But like all the McD's in the country, they were closed for remodeling, so we went to Subway instead. My husband can't eat subway but he was ok with it as long as I was considering eating something. I figured eating all that bread might sop up some of the acid in my stomach. I ate my 6 inch turkey with no problems and my son got his usual BMT foot long. It was kind of expensive for subway. I paid over $17 for 2 sandwiches and one bag of chips. We just drank water.

I took over driving for the first time since day 1. We drove through Kanab and approached Zion from the east. The road in is CRAZY! Hairpin turns and a mile long, narrow tunnel that feels like you may end up in China! Thank God I was driving because my husband would have lost his mind. He struggles with heights.

The views were absolutely gorgeous. I just couldn't believe it. We stayed in Springdale at the Driftwood Lodge. I believe I paid $250 a night. The room was really nice and big, and had a fridge and microwave. It also had a good size table and 2 chairs, which Yavapia Lodge did not have. The other thing I liked was the balcony. It was nice to sit outside and look at the scenery. The towels were nice and plush, but they only left us 1 washcloth each day, so I asked for more at the front desk. There was a pool and guest laundry as well. I chose Driftwood based on a friend's suggestion and was glad I did.

When we arrived we had time to take a ride into the park. Vehicles aren't allowed unless you are staying in the lodge, but there is a very efficient shuttle system. Springdale has a shuttle that takes you to the entrance. It is free and there was a stop right in front of our hotel. When you get to the park entrance you walk across a bridge to the visitor's center. There you can look at some displays, walk a trail, or get on the park shuttle. The shuttles are awesome. There are windows on the roof which they open so the shuttles are nice and airy. They are very large with 2 sections. You can get off at various stops or just ride up and back. There is a recording that plays as you ride telling you facts about the park. We rode up and back to get the lay of the land. After we spent some time soaking up the beauty, we decided to eat dinner.

Springdale is the neatest little town. There are tons of unique restaurants, shops, and equipment rental places. The hotels are all 2 stories or less, so views are not obstructed. I had researched and found that Oscars had many things my husband could eat, so we got off the shuttle there. He was able to get an enchilada with beans and rice. He also ordered some chips and salsa, since they were not complementary with dinner. My son also got an enchilada and I got a cheese and chicken quesadilla. It came with guac and salsa. My food was huge so i only ate a little bit of it. That was okay because I figured I could take the left overs back to the room. They refilled the chips and salsa so we had extra salsa to take back as well, which was nice because it was delicious. The meal was pricy, but I figure one big meal a day is reasonable. Plus we had plenty of left overs for lunch the next day. It cost us $78 for the meal.

We went back to our room and just relaxed the rest of the evening. Things were definitely improving.

Last edited:
I am enjoying your detailed writing about your trip! So sorry about your sickness, though. It sounds miserable. When planning and prepping for a trip, that is something I never think of, beyond having things for sunburn or bug bites. A good reminder that the unexpected can happen. Glad it sounds as though you were improving and getting over it, though--where you left off in your story.

I am enjoying your report and taking notes. My family is taking a National Parks trip this summer (5 parks in 2 1/2 weeks).

Really enjoying your trip report. I'm glad you were feeling better by Day 4. What do you think caused your stomach upset?

My internet is out. Grrrr!
Technician can't come till Wednesday. I'll add more to my report tomorrow.

I am adding some exact prices in my previous posts above.

Really enjoying your trip report. I'm glad you were feeling better by Day 4. What do you think caused your stomach upset?
I'm going to say it was the medication for the migraines. It is very harsh on the stomach so I think it just irritated my stomach lining.

Internet started working again on its own. Fingers crossed its not a problem here in our house.

Day 5:

Second day at Zion we ate a quick breakfast in the room. We took the shuttle into the park. We had decided to hike the Emerald Pool trail, which was an easy trail. It is paved and not much of an incline. When we reached the waterfall area, my husband turned back and my son and I continued on, making a loop with a moderate trail. There was an out and back trail that lead to an upper pool, but I did not make it all the way there. I stopped to fix my socks and rest then tried to catch up with my son, but he was coming back before I made it. No biggie, we continued to the end of the trail and caught the shuttle back to where my husband was relaxing on the deck of the lodge with a drink. The views in Zion are just spectacular. You can hike or sit in a chair. Whatever your preference is, you will be treated to natural beauty.

We got back on the shuttle to go farther into the park to the weeping rock trail. This is a paved but steep trail to a hanging garden. very neat.

I found that Zion has more serious hikers and less tour groups. There are a number of equipment rental businesses around the park entrance. We had our own hiking poles and shoes but you can rent that stuff and more. If you hike the narrows you need waterproof shoes which you can rent as well.

By this time it was afternoon and we decided to go back to the room to get something to eat. I reheated my quesadilla from Oscars and it was plenty for my son and me. We also ate the left over salsa with some chips. My husband ate from our grocery stuff. After we ate, we went out by the pool while I threw in a couple loads of laundry.

For dinner we ate at a place called MeMe's. They have a good gluten free menu. My husband had a pork chop with potatoes and a salad. The potatoes were like "smashed" potatoes. Not real creamy and no gravy, which was ok because he can't eat gravy anyway. I had a pulled pork sandwich and fries. My son had some sort of sandwich and fries as well. They have a large variety of crepes on their menu and offer a gluten free batter, but we didn't try those. The meal was $67 with tip.

After dinner we headed back to get packed up to leave the next morning.

Last edited:
Definitely get the annual pass
I have a 4th grader which means we have the "Every Kid in a Park" pass for free. I still can't quite believe that we will get in every park for free. If for some reason it doesn't work we will buy the "America the Beautiful" pass.

I have a 4th grader which means we have the "Every Kid in a Park" pass for free. I still can't quite believe that we will get in every park for free. If for some reason it doesn't work we will buy the "America the Beautiful" pass.
That offer is legit. Great you can take advantage of it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter