Use year question

stuartsong

DIS Veteran
This question might have been asked before, but is there a specific reason why there are no use year for January, May, July and November?

A more tenured owner might have a better answer, but from what I understand is:

Remembering that DVC started in the 1990s before the internet, the different UYs are/were a way to spread out and encourage membership usage throughout the year as you would need to call in to make reservations. To me, 12 UYs is too many, 6 seems too few.

Not having a January makes sense because that would give an unfair comprehension advantage to those owners. Why not the other 3 months-- 🤷 dunno.

Last edited:
This has been an ongoing source of bewilderment for me. As an operations, systems and process consultant for over 40 years, I know there had to have been some reason for doing this (even if it wasn't rational). I'm guessing that reason may be lost knowledge at this point. I even emailed DVD about it many years ago and got a vaguely worded reply that amounted to "we don't really know - just the way it was set up".

I've come to the conclusion that this falls into some version of the category: "We've always done it this way" 😀

Steve

Several contracts end on January 30, 2042, so the lack of a January UY at least makes it clear that those contracts don't gets points in 2042. IDK about the others though.

Several contracts end on January 30, 2042, so the lack of a January UY at least makes it clear that those contracts don't gets points in 2042. IDK about the others though.
There's going to be a huge issue with the DEC UY at the 2042 resorts in about 18 years.

A more tenured owner might have a better answer, but from what I understand is:

Remembering that DVC started in the 1990s before the internet, the different UYs are/were a way to spread out and encourage membership usage throughout the year as you would need to call in to make reservations. To me, 12 UYs is too many, 6 seems too few.

Not having a January makes sense because that would give an unfair comprehension advantage to those owners. Why not the other 3 months-- 🤷 dunno.
I don't think there is any real advantage. UY mean when they can used, not when they can be booked.

I think the real thing to consider is the date that they can be banked. If you think you might make a regular last-minute trip to WDW in Dec, then Mar is a terrible UY because you needed to decide to bank or not by Oct 31. That's the real issue, the banking cut off. I would look for a banking deadline that fits your travel patterns.

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest