UPDATED INFO ON HOTEL EXPRESS PASS......questions welcome....

i-ksf4VbN-XL.jpg

Yep, TM mentioned it would be up and running for everyone soon........

Yes- the sign wasn't there so the test must be over. They don't have it at all of the EP rides yet.

That was our experience over Christmas, too. EP was our room key. Some of the rides had the facial recognition setup - I specifically remember Mummy, Kong and MIB. I think I remember Minions having it, too.

We didn't have pictures taken before entering the park. So, they scan you when you are in a queue - they must save the first scan as the reference point.

We saw a few of the screens and it would show two images of you to compare. We thought about switching tickets just to see what would happen, but we never did.

There may have been an 'opt out' sign somewhere, but we never saw it.

LOL. Somehow, during our recent trip, the photo recognition ended up storing my son's picture for both himself and me. We never bothered getting it corrected, I just let him go right in front of me for any express pass rides and then explain it to the attendant.

So basically today, if I come alone (without the rest of the family gang) at 6am, I can check in and get all the room keys which act as the EP?

No need for photo taken of all family members?

Thank you

I was last at the hotel and parks in October

It was in the ep line where the photos were being taken not the hotel

Have not read any recent posts if this process is still going on

I'm at the parks right now. There are no pictures taken during hotel check-in and yes, some of the rides now take/check your picture at the ride itself (not on your card any longer.)

So yes, one person can check-in for the group, get the room keys/EPs and then meet up with everyone at a later time/location.

So basically today, if I come alone (without the rest of the family gang) at 6am, I can check in and get all the room keys which act as the EP?

No need for photo taken of all family members?

Thank you
Did this at Christmas. I checked in and got everyone's cards. The rest of the family was in the lobby, but they were sitting way over by baggage services and no one ever asked to see them.

I was last at the hotel and parks in October

It was in the ep line where the photos were being taken not the hotel

Have not read any recent posts if this process is still going on

Yes, you can get the cards for absent family members. We did that for our cousin who joined us for a night on our last trip. Got his room key at check-in with his info on it and he used it for Express when he got into town the next day.

Yes, you can get the cards for absent family members. We did that for our cousin who joined us for a night on our last trip. Got his room key at check-in with his info on it and he used it for Express when he got into town the next day.
Not sure why you quoted me

I was referring to last year when the trial set up was being done for face recognition in the park at Spider-Man
Wasn’t talking about the hotel check in and getting hotel cards

I read through the entire thread and don't see an update to this (although I could have missed it)...so I figure I'll ask.

I know that Volcano Bay did not have hotel Express Pass when it opened last year. However, my DH was looking at Universal's website the other night and noticed that on the page with the participating attractions for Express Pass at each park, there were 10 listed for Volcano Bay. Is this new? We already have our tickets for all three parks, so whether or not Express pass is accepted isn't going to affect our decision to visit Volcano Bay--but if it is in effect for some of the rides at Volcano Bay, it could change our plans for each day.

If anyone can confirm, that would be great.

Thanks.

The first forum section has a sticky for volcano bay

I believe you will find more info there that you need

(Volcano Bay Question and Info )

When you read that sticky start with the top of the last page

Current info would be found there
People post new info as it changes

Not sure why you quoted me

I was referring to last year when the trial set up was being done for face recognition in the park at Spider-Man
Wasn’t talking about the hotel check in and getting hotel cards

LOL! Quoted wrong person! was meaning to quote cschaaf immediately above me. Sorry, macraven :p:duck:

Has anyone ever done a throwaway room at the Lowes Portofino just for the UEPs, early entry and other benefits?

I see in the OP that we can check in at 6am. How long does it take to check in then get from that hotel to the parks?

Do we actually have to check in at the hotel or is there an electronic check in like the Mouse?

Do you need to actually check out or is that automatic?

Has anyone ever done a throwaway room at the Lowes Portofino just for the UEPs, early entry and other benefits?

I see in the OP that we can check in at 6am. How long does it take to check in then get from that hotel to the parks?

Yes, you can check in as early as 6am.

From PB you can take the boat or walk. Walking takes approx 15 minutes from there depending on how fast you walk.

You will already have paid your room if it’s just one night so no need to check out.

Do we actually have to check in at the hotel or is there an electronic check in like the Mouse?

I just finished a nice week stay. We had a room at CBR for 7 nights (for about $96/night). I also got a room for 1 night at PBR, actually two non-contiguous nights to maximize the 2 days of EP for each night. Staying 7 nights at CBR gave me the best SMSM rate, but if I tried to make multiple reservations for fewer nights, the CBR rate went up significantly, enough that it cost me more over the whole stay than paying for the weekly rate.

Note for me, I have a bunch of American Airlines miles and used those for the PBR hotel nights. In general, I wouldn't recommend that as it cost me about 28-30K miles which is just more than a milesaver round-trip flight within the continental US. But I have so many miles that it didn't bother me. I was willing to use those miles to get the EPs as I value those very much (even during a slow week like the 1st week of February.) ;)

As for checking-out, you can just call the hotel and tell them you have left. They can email you the final bill. But one thing about having the room there is the "pull" to pack a night bag just to stay there, if only to "check out the room". :) When I made my reservations, I had no plans to stay at PBR for either of the nights there, but my daughter had other plans. :crazy2:

As a long time DW visitor, we've grown accustomed to the magic bands and the convenience of just "tapping" your wrist. It's going to take a little bit of getting used to either (a) hanging a lanyard around each of our necks or (b) having one person responsible for taking out the express passes before every ride. Here's to hoping that Universal follows what they are doing with the Tapu Tapu @ Volcano Bay and that they get on the RFID bandwagon.

Thanks so much to everyone who updates these boards! We were in Universal for the first time last year and I am just now reading about the priority seating - we stayed on property. lol! So much information to absorb. My husband and daughters are making a bucket list trip to Italy in March. My son didn't want to be on a plane that long so we're zipping back down to Universal for a little fun while they're gone. Once again, I am tremendously thankful for the Disboard intel!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!