UPDATED INFO ON HOTEL EXPRESS PASS......questions welcome....

schumigirl

It's a bit of a roodie doodie word for lady parts
Since so much has changed over the last few years, it`s time for an updated thread about the Unlimited Hotel Express Pass.

Please ask any questions you may not be sure about or offer any info or details I may have missed......all gratefully received! I will be happy to add anything I may have omitted.

WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR EP AND HOW DO I GET IT?

All guests who stay and are registered at either Portofino Bay, Hard Rock Hotel and Royal Pacific Resort will automatically have the perk of Unlimited Express Pass just by staying there. Up to 5 people in a room is usually the maximum unless you book one of the larger suites.

It is no way connected to your park tickets, so you can purchase park tickets from anywhere as they are not connected. It is the hotel stay that enables you Unlimited EP.

When you check in, even if your room is not ready, you will be issued with room keys for each person registered in the room.

As of 2017 Your Express Pass is your room key with your name and dates of your stay on it. It fits easily into Lanyards.

Express Passes are NOT transferable.

Children under 3 are not required to have an EP as they do not require a park ticket.

**** You do not get this Unlimited EP staying at Sapphire Falls, Aventura or Cabana Bay. You only get Early Entry at these 3 hotels.

CHECK IN TIME?

Even though check in is not till 4pm, you can check in as early as 6am and still get room keys and get your EP immediately. Again, you can leave luggage with Bell Services while you head off to the parks.

HOW LONG CAN I USE EP FOR?

From the moment you check in your EP is valid. On your check out day your EP is valid till parks close. So if you have a one night stay at any of the three participating hotels you get 2 FULL days of Unlimited EP.

HOW DO I USE EP?

As you enter a ride area, you will see a sign that shows the EP queue. You will have to show your room key to the TM to enter the queue and it will either be scanned here or later in the ride queue. The TM can check the date.

WHAT RIDES ARE EP VALID ON?

As of summer 2017 Gringotts, Forbidden Journey, Hogwarts Express DO have EP access.

Olivanders Wand Experience, Pteranadon Flyers and Kang and Kodos Twirl `n` Hurl ride in Simpsons area DO NOT. If this changes and anything listed here is given EP, I will update accordingly.

WHAT`S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PURCHASING EP AND HOTEL PERK EP?

NO difference in using the EP, you all go in the one EP queue. There are two types you can purchase.....one is an Unlimited EP like the hotel perk, you can use it as often as you like. The other is a single use per ride EP......you can only use this once on each ride or attraction.

Purchasing EP can be done in advance, but when you purchase please note these passes are date specific. So once bought you cannot exchange them for another day. One reason we recommend you wait and see if they are needed on the days you are in the parks. Weather can affect crowds on so called busy days. They can be purchased all over the inside of parks easily.

Prices on these vary by crowd levels, check the website for dates and prices.

https://www.universalorlando.com/Theme-Park-Tickets/Universal-Express/Express-Passes.aspx

IS IT JUST FOR RIDES?

No, you can use it for shows like Horror Make up show, Animal Actors on Location, Terminator 2 in Studios. In IOA it`s valid for Poseidon`s Fury and The Eighth Voyage of Sinbad.

IS IT GOOD VALUE?

It certainly is. If you price up the cost of purchasing EP for your family or group, it can work out much cheaper to reserve a room for up to 5 people and get 2 days of EP for less than the cost of buying it separately.

IS HOTEL EP VALID FOR HHN?

No. You would have to purchase a separate EP for access to the houses EP line.

Last edited:
And another new sticky has been created.

Thank you schumigirl for this much needed information thread!

The sticky that I just retired was 8 years old.

Information will be added as needed on this new one.

It is important to present current information to all our readers and help guide them to a stress free vacation.

Please send a pm to Schumigirl or myself if you have info to add or you can post it on this sticky and it will be included to the informational site.

pictiures of the kiosk for the photo id pass will be included soon in this sticky.

Thank you Mac..........appreciate that.

Express Pass machine pics have now been added.......:thumbsup2

DisneyMommyMichelle..........I sometimes forget new people aren't always aware of what is and isn't included.......so I'm glad the info was useful to you. It's really only the newest Potter stuff that doesn't have EP yet.

Dragon Challenge in Potter area also has EP along with the one Mac mentioned, Flight of the Hippogriff.........so, only a few exceptions.

If part of our party won't be with us at check in can they get their keys when they arrive and then get their express pass? We're looking at our family arriving in the morning so we can use the express all day and my mom joining us that night and going with us the next day. Can we leave her key at the front desk so she can get it when she arrives?

If part of our party won't be with us at check in can they get their keys when they arrive and then get their express pass? We're looking at our family arriving in the morning so we can use the express all day and my mom joining us that night and going with us the next day. Can we leave her key at the front desk so she can get it when she arrives?

For sure. Only one person needs to be there for check-in. They will be given keys for everyone in their party. Each person will then take their key to the express pass kiosk in the lobby that will take a photo and print out each express pass. You can just give your mom her key when she arrives.

Staying at RPR, to get express passes and early entry...Have a
1-Day Park to Park Ticket. When I check in at 4 I can print my express passes, but can I go to the parks right away?
Someone at the hotel said that even though it is a one day ticket, it starts when you check in and would be good the next day when we check out also? Is this true? Kinda need to know soon as we hadn't planned to be able to go to the parks tonight thinking our tickets were only good tomorrow...

A one day park ticket is only valid for the day you use it

The photo express pass card is valid for the day you check in the hotel and the day you check out.

If you want to go to the park the day you check in, you have that 1 day p2p ticket

If you want to go to the park the next day, you need to buy a park ticket

Cheapest way is to upgrade the 1 day ticket you have to a 2 day ticket

You can do this at park guest service or try at the hotel attraction desk in the hotel lobby

Or you could just hang at the hotel pool once you check in at 4 and do the parks the next day

Someone at the hotel said that even though it is a one day ticket, it starts when you check in and would be good the next day when we check out also?

Oh gracious NO.

Please give feedback while there about that person so they don't say anything like that to anyone else.

Well. Less than impressed with the info received when I called. I was told by the "ticket" person that my Express Pass was good as soon as I checked in, until the end of the day of check out. Which in retrospect, is true. What he led me to believe though was not correct.

When we checked in we said we wanted to upgrade to a 2 day pass and they said at RPR they couldn't do that, but I could go to guest services at the park and they could. Really?

So we tried to take our pics for the Express passes but 2 of the 3 kiosks were down at RPR lobby...no one seemed to be bothered by it at the concierge are. Wasn't told that we needed to print park tickets, thought they were on the room key like at WDW. You apparently need a lanyard to carry your room key, park ticket, express pass. There goes another $60 for our party.

Wish I had a nickel for every time I heard a staff member tell a guest that Butterbeer is not beverage on the dining plan.

I guess overall I was impressed with how Universal appears to nickel and dime you, and we consistently received what seemed to be incorrect information (No one heard of priority seating for guests from the resorts). Loved Wizarding World of Harry Potter, glad the kids got to see it all, including the Hogwarts Express. Also glad we are one and done at Universal.

Looking forward to our next trip to Disney...

You were given correct info when you were told the express pass was valid from the time you checked into the deluxe hotel thru the time the park closes on your check out day

But you need to buy park park tickets to get into the parks

I get that now, and that was what I thought, until speaking with the ticket person who by the way he said it sounded like my one day park to park was good to go at time of check in...regardless, a nice time but would have done it differently with more consistent information. Thanks.

i can understand that as when you go to a park that is new to you, so much to know before you step foot into the hotel or parks.

it took me 3 different stays before i read any of the brochures the front desk gave me before i ever looked at any of them.

things like which park had early entry, the movie schedule for the pool in the evenings, when the water taxi's began, what the attraction desk will do for hotel guests, etc.....
never read any of it and just put it in a drawer in the hotel room until i was ready to check out.......:rolleyes2

No one had heard of priority seating?

Have to say we have never experienced at Universal/Resorts what you say.

Some restaurants asked us if we were hotel guests when there was a queue. Priority seating has been around for years......it's not new. We used it a lot last year and previous years and never had an issue with any restaurant not knowing about it......as I said it's not a new thing.

As for nickel and diming........never felt that at all. Universal has all the extra charges like parking out there for all to see.......not "hidden" in room rates.

No-one needs a lanyard......they're handy though..........

I understand how you feel about being done with Universal........we're the same with Disney.....haven't gone since 08 and certainly don't feel the need to go back. Universal for us is a real relaxing vacation.........sorry you never felt it was for you.

Some restaurants asked us if we were hotel guests when there was a queue. Priority seating has been around for years......it's not new. We used it a lot last year and previous years and never had an issue with any restaurant not knowing about it......as I said it's not a new thing.

As for nickel and diming........never felt that at all. Universal has all the extra charges like parking out there for all to see.......not "hidden" in room rates.

I understand how you feel about being done with Universal........we're the same with Disney.....haven't gone since 08 and certainly don't feel the need to go back. Universal for us is a real relaxing vacation.........sorry you never felt it was for you.
i can understand that as when you go to a park that is new to you, so much to know before you step foot into the hotel or parks.

it took me 3 different stays before i read any of the brochures the front desk gave me before i ever looked at any of them.

things like which park had early entry, the movie schedule for the pool in the evenings, when the water taxi's began, what the attraction desk will do for hotel guests, etc.....
never read any of it and just put it in a drawer in the hotel room until i was ready to check out.......:rolleyes2

I don't want to hijack the thread, but this is totally me! Didn't read a thing! For our future trips, what is the priority seating?

I don't want to hijack the thread, but this is totally me! Didn't read a thing! For our future trips, what is the priority seating?

Lol......not hijacking at all........genuine question.

Used mainly in Citywalk......when restaurants are busy......you can use your hotel room key to get ahead of the people who are waiting.

Last year we were told 50 minute wait at Margaritaville on a Friday night, told them we were hotel guest, showed our room key and wait was down to 10 minutes.

Sometimes, if wait is under 30 minutes they won't utilise it. Have heard if wait is over 90 minutes they won't utilise it either, but we were allowed to "skip the queue" couple of years ago when wait was 2 hours for Margaritaville.

It's worth it!

Priority seating can be used at most restaurants and shows. You let them know you are a hotel guest, usually asked to show room card for proof. If restaurants acept it, you go on the top of the wait list (after reservations)...if shows accept it, you either get in earlier to opick seats or get designated better seats.

Thanks for the feedback. We really enjoyed Wizarding World and the kids had a lot of fun. That was most important.
Nice to have options for vacation destinations. Glad you enjoy your time on holiday when visiting the states!

Are the machines new? We were at RPR in October and I don't remember them, I'm sure we just used our room keys.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!