UPDATE ON AIRTRAN Baggage Charges~if you've booked tickets prior to baggage charges!!

kritter

<font color=deeppink>I need a Disney FIX!!<br><fon
I have two flights booked with AirTran. This weekend I stumbled across this article. After reading about the DOT ruling and hearing that AirTran was not following the ruling. I came across this article.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24761262/

Then I found from this article how to file a complaint. So on Sunday Morning I sent the complaint.
http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/problems.htm
Go to the Airline Service Complaint Section and then go to Click here for Web Form!!

Yesterday, I received a call from a WONDERFUL women at AirTran I can provide you with her information if you get no where with filing a complaint. She went on to explain that she received my complaint that I had filed and that AirTran wants to abide by the ruling. She said she could offer me to options to make things right. 1.) Put it in my record that I am able to check in more than one bag per person without the fee. Then when I got to the airport the attendant would have to look in the file and read the notes. Problem with this she said is that if they are busy they may not look at all of the notes and insist that I still pay not realizing that both of my sets of tickets were purchased before the fees went into effect. Option Number 2.) I had to make changes to one set of tickets before hand. Costing me three hundred dollars. She offered to refund my credit card the three hundred dollars which would more than cover the cost of me having to check one or two extra peieces of luggage. Then I had a AirTran credit for a flight reduction on another flight. She offered to refund that $36.00 dollars also to my cc. So in turn she gave me a refund of $336.00 last night. So if I need to end up paying ten or twenty dollars for an extra bag I do not mind she more than took care of me last night.

Bottom line is you will get no wher calling AirTran's customer service number you need to file a complaint with the forms above. Then if you get no where I can provide you with this women's contact information. She is WONDERFUL. I commend the gov. for contacting AirTran with my comlaint and concern over AirTran not following the DOT's ruling.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!

Actually this isn't that good. It sounds like Airtran has no intention of following the DOT rule unless a passenger complains. The easiest thing to do is to try to get the charge waived when you check your baggage and file a credit card dispute if you wind up having to pay.

Actually this isn't that good. It sounds like Airtran has no intention of following the DOT rule unless a passenger complains. The easiest thing to do is to try to get the waive waived when you check your baggage and file a credit card dispute if you wind up having to pay.

NO I do not think they do. The women I spoke too said that customers need to let the DOT know, AirTran has to eventually follow the ruling or they will be getting fines imposed. So why should we have to dispute it with the cc we need to make the DOT aware of what they are doing!!

Actually this isn't that good. It sounds like Airtran has no intention of following the DOT rule unless a passenger complains. The easiest thing to do is to try to get the waive waived when you check your baggage and file a credit card dispute if you wind up having to pay.

I agree. I don't get the "they were wonderful" HUH?? They are violating the regulations... and they know it!!!

What if you hadn't had to make a change? Then you would have had nothing for them to "make you happy" with!!!

They need to fix this not make customers file complaints to get them to do the right thing!:badpc:

I'm glad you got your issues straightened out, but passengers shouldn't have to go to the government to get any business to follow the rules. Hopefully, AirTran will wake up to the fact that they're not exempt from the DOT ruling. In the meantime, every passenger who is charged should file a complaint using the info that kritter so kindly provided. Thanks, kritter. :thumbsup2

I'm glad you got your issues straightened out, but passengers shouldn't have to go to the government to get any business to follow the rules. Hopefully, AirTran will wake up to the fact that they're not exempt from the DOT ruling. In the meantime, every passenger who is charged should file a complaint using the info that kritter so kindly provided. Thanks, kritter. :thumbsup2

Your welcome. If I had not had to make the change then she was willing to compensant me in another way. She was willing to make it right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for the above information. I entered my complaint just now!

Thank you for the above information. I entered my complaint just now!

YOur so welcome. Let me know how it turns out. If not I will provide you with the AirTran's name and number I spoke too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again, thank you so much! I have 3 tickets for two trips each at present, one purchased in February and the other one right on April 11th before the information was posted on the website. I didn't listen to the news that day and didn't tune in to the Disboards...so I had no way of knowing about the change. IOne would think that if you are making that drastic of a change, that it would be posted prominently on the main web page or when you log in to your customer account.
I even included my A+ Rewards number on my letter, so I will keep all of you posted on how it goes.

I also just filled a complaint. My complaint is that we booked our flight (for in 13 days) and we booked our 1 1/2 yr old on my lap but I knew he would have his own bag. If I had known we had to pay for a second bag I would have just booked him his own seat. Makes me mad that they are not living up to their end of the agreement. Plus the person I spoke with at Airtran could have cared less. His response is "We are still lower than most airlines." So what...what does that have to do with anything.:confused: I will post if I hear anything.

So when did Airtran implement the 2nd bag rule?? Trying to figure out if we bought tickets before or after that date

I also just filled a complaint. My complaint is that we booked our flight (for in 13 days) and we booked our 1 1/2 yr old on my lap but I knew he would have his own bag. If I had known we had to pay for a second bag I would have just booked him his own seat. Makes me mad that they are not living up to their end of the agreement. Plus the person I spoke with at Airtran could have cared less. His response is "We are still lower than most airlines." So what...what does that have to do with anything.:confused: I will post if I hear anything.

I hope someone will correct me if I wrong, but I don't believe that lap babies have ever been given a luggage allowance. It's for fare-paying customers only.

My guess here is that you were counting on using one of your original 2 bag allowance for your lap child? I'd say whatever they are charging (although I dont think they should - they should honor the rules when you booked the tickets) for the 2nd bag is way cheaper than paying for a r/t seat.

Luckily I don't think I will have a problem. I do feel bad for those who do have to incur the fees. I agree you shouldn't have to fight with the customer service reps or file complaints. They should do the right thing in the first place. I have purchased 5 tickets ( that with my 3 girls) I don't think I will even need 10 bags lol. I am going to look into the stroller check because I will have two strollers and I don't feel I should have to pay to check those. Sheesh. And ITA with the link from msnbc.com I mean do they compensate us more for losing our luggage seeing as we are paying for that direct service? These are all good things to inquire about

Good LUck and please keep me posted. I've saved the information of the AIrTran rep. who called me so I'd be more than happy to pass it along to you all if you do not hear anything in a few days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My guess here is that you were counting on using one of your original 2 bag allowance for your lap child? I'd say whatever they are charging (although I dont think they should - they should honor the rules when you booked the tickets) for the 2nd bag is way cheaper than paying for a r/t seat.

You are totally correct. It is just the fact that they are not doing what is right, not that I have to pay the fee. But if I was already going to pay at least $20 I would have thought maybe he needed his own seat.

Has anyone else heard back? I filed my complaint on the 28th & haven't heard anything but some people are hearing back the same or next day.

ANyone hear back yet???!!!!!!!!!

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest