Unplugged Chit Chat Thread

My kids have been at theater day camp for the week. I am now eternally spoiled! The silence has been amazing! Back to homeschooling next week!
Homeschooling? Wow - my hat's off to you, mad respect! :worship: Enjoy the rest of your week, you've EARNED it!!

It's been Spring Break here and I'm ready for my small child to go back to school. I don't have the patience to homeschool.

Same thing used to happen with families given remodeled houses on the show (the name escapes me at present) hosted by Ty Pennington, which is one of the reasons it went off air. I know several episodes took place in NJ, and were in the local news, sometimes even trying to fundraise or appeal tax decisions to help the families keep/stay int heir homes. Problem was - the families could not afford the "new" houses - the more expensive utilities and other operating costs, and the increased taxes once they got reassessed, etc. Created huge headaches than they were worth. Made me sad to hear/know that. :(

I think the show was Extreme Home Makeover. I heard it happened a lot with the families. (can't find sad face) Many of those families were already struggling and to add a grander and more expensive house to the mix just added to their troubles in the long run. In the short term the show may have paid off the taxes for the first year but that doesn't help when the families must now pay more taxes (sometimes it is more in taxes than what the old home was worth) yet their salary hasn't changed. I have to say my favorite episode was this one
I followed Boey's story until the end. After Boey passed the Byers family (I'm friends with both mom and dad on FB )struggled to keep the house but in the end the family had to sell their home.

How did I miss the Girl Scout cookie discussion? In our area you can find cookies from both bakeries. I prefer Little Brownie Bakers (original one). I sold cookies for years growing up and my dad was the town cookie leader and he did it for my troop too. He was also a registered Girl Scout. Who knew he could be a Girl Scout? Lol. What got me last year when I bought cookies was the cookies were different prices by kind. Usually all the cookies were the same amount of money.

How did I miss the Girl Scout cookie discussion? In our area you can find cookies from both bakeries. I prefer Little Brownie Bakers (original one). I sold cookies for years growing up and my dad was the town cookie leader and he did it for my troop too. He was also a registered Girl Scout. Who knew he could be a Girl Scout? Lol. What got me last year when I bought cookies was the cookies were different prices by kind. Usually all the cookies were the same amount of money.

All of our cookies are $4 a box - except the gluten free ones which are $5 a box.

I'm a Girl Scout leader so technically I am a Girl Scout.

Didn't cut the "cord", but removed a few strands. I scaled back my satellite service and am seriously contemplating a complete severing. I look at these bills and can't help but think that the dream of à la carte is just that....a dream.

Looks like we're going to try some new adventures in Orlando (Top Golf, Andretti Karting, resort hopping at Universal) and vow to never ride the new Starflyer (unless it involves substantial compensation).

Taxes done and discovered our local post office removed the outside drop boxes. It felt more like a Chick fil A yesterday as the lines were massive. Maybe all post offices have removed their outdoor drop boxes?

I used to be a real "ride daredevil" before I had spinal surgery, and can no longer do that kind of stuff, and while I definitely miss it, I still don't think I would have done that Sar Flyer, that looks absolutely TERRIFYING! Saw a recent video Tim Tracker did of a wonderful, fun-looking day at Fun Spot, and he did the Sky Coaster there, and that looked scary enough! I even commented to him on the video that I think he's a beast! LOL. He's also done Top Golf a couple of times, and if you have a chance - it looks even COOLER to do it at night (plus - the night time view of the area around there is incredible!).

I think a lot of Post Offices have taken away their outside drop boxes, and almost all of them are gone off street corners too. I know here in NE NJ they've had a rash of what they call "mailbox fishing" lately (people attach something sticky to the end of a string, dangle it into the mailbox to latch onto envelopes, then take them out) and wouldn't be surprised to see even more removed (at least round here) because of that. Sad. I always think "what will the criminal element think of NEXT?". I'm always dismayed to find out. :(

Maybe all post offices have removed their outdoor drop boxes?
Not around here (southern NJ). Every post office I know of has outside boxes so you can just drive up and drop things in without getting out of the car. The post office we go to most often has a line of 3 outside boxes. There is one box in our development (there used to be a 2nd but it disappeared years ago). There's also one in the development across the main road. In fact, we used that one yesterday to mail two books I sold online.

I used to be a real "ride daredevil" before I had spinal surgery, and can no longer do that kind of stuff, and while I definitely miss it, I still don't think I would have done that Sar Flyer, that looks absolutely TERRIFYING! Saw a recent video Tim Tracker did of a wonderful, fun-looking day at Fun Spot, and he did the Sky Coaster there, and that looked scary enough! I even commented to him on the video that I think he's a beast! LOL. He's also done Top Golf a couple of times, and if you have a chance - it looks even COOLER to do it at night (plus - the night time view of the area around there is incredible!).

I think a lot of Post Offices have taken away their outside drop boxes, and almost all of them are gone off street corners too. I know here in NE NJ they've had a rash of what they call "mailbox fishing" lately (people attach something sticky to the end of a string, dangle it into the mailbox to latch onto envelopes, then take them out) and wouldn't be surprised to see even more removed (at least round here) because of that. Sad. I always think "what will the criminal element think of NEXT?". I'm always dismayed to find out. :(

Yeah....I planned to do Top Golf at dusk/night (appreciate the suggestion!!!). The attraction looks really awesome with all the synchronized flashing, etc. I also saw the video you are referring to (there are two Fun Spots). The one in Old Town is a little further away from I-Drive, but has more to offer IMO (at least the last time I was there). There was a time, when I lived in NJ, that Six Flags was a summer ritual (not even talking about Wildwood and the coasters on the boardwalk). But, age has met me smack dab in the, well, pick your internal/external appendage.

Fishing for mail? What's next.....bobbing for Amazon packages? You're dead on in that criminals are thinkers, but on the wrong side of the equation.

Not around here (southern NJ). Every post office I know of has outside boxes so you can just drive up and drop things in without getting out of the car. The post office we go to most often has a line of 3 outside boxes. There is one box in our development (there used to be a 2nd but it disappeared years ago). There's also one in the development across the main road. In fact, we used that one yesterday to mail two books I sold online.

I surmise it's just a matter of time until they remove all external boxes. I think they realize there is increasing liability and putting some external protective measure(s) would be cost prohibitive. It is very sad that as a youngster, I actually enjoyed walking blocks to drop off the mail (it was on the way to the corner market, so I knew a pack of baseball cards would be my reward - parent's bribe).

The complex I used to live in had 1 at the front of it (not small by any means - 126 units, with another place about the same size next door), as did the strip mall across the street with several assorted stores, and a VERY busy Shop Rite. They took both of them out at least 5 years ago, and they were the only free-standing ones I knew about for miles. I'm grateful that in my current apartment house (1 big building), if you leave stamped mail there, the postal person will take it for you.

Last edited:
Just got back from a short staycation in Orlando. Decided to stay offsite and try to maximize our budget while scoping out some new places (new to me).

Did all the resorts at Universal except Hard Rock. I loved Royal Pacific and I think a future stay for a couple of nights is forthcoming. I typically ping-pong between AP's at WDW and Universal, but next year I am going to bow out of the race. I think Sea World (assuming it's still in full operation), may get a very much affordable AP. I still want to do Discovery Cove, but not at the pricing that I last recall.

Local eateries were the highlight of this trip. Winter Park Fish Company and taco Tuesday was very good (plus I love visiting Winter Park and Rollins College area). Q'Keenan(?) is the gem I have been looking for. It is a Venezuelan eatery that is very affordable, has a wide variety of options and great service (how comes they have to always hug my elderly mother when I treat her on trips?). Had to retry the Thai Coconut meatballs at Poly and they are just as good as ever. Sofrito Latin Cafe is just outside Disney Springs and offered a great vibe. And no trip is complete without a $4.99 WAWA hoagie (yes, I'm from eastern PA and we call them hoagies).

Starflyer on I-Drive was testing fully-weighted dummies and reconfirmed my original feelings that there is no way I'm getting on that thing! It's impressive in height, but the engineers likely didn't think about the distance if someone got sick circling at ~400 ft. in the air (yuck!).

Went to DS yesterday and decided that the theme at Enzo's Hideaway is right up my ally; I love the vintage music set against a backdrop of a decrepit speakeasy.

ETA: I forgot we also ate at Yellow Dog Eats; there a sandwich for almost anyone and the place is like groovy man.

Last edited:
Don't know if anyone here is an American Idol fan (I am not, since Steven Tyler left) :lovestruc, but tonight is Disney night, with guest star Idina Menzel. So I'm watching. :)

ETA - Have to say - Katy Perry makes a spectacular Snow White!! :)

ETA (2) - Got to say - these performers are KILLIN' IT!!!!

Last edited:
Here are some post-trip randoms from my time at WDW last week....

-Coronado Springs....just too big for my taste. Renovated room was outstanding, but the place is just massive, and because of its size and construction, there's just no synergy/cohesion to the whole thing. Pepper Market wasn't great, but the gelato at Cafe Rix was spot-on. Bus service was timely. Do I regret staying there? No. Would I go out of my way to stay there again? No.

-Disneyland gets all the love in terms of cast members, but this trip probably featured the best CM interactions I've ever had. Pleasant, helpful, and very engaging all the way around. I usually only notice customer service when it's bad, but in this rare case, I noticed it because it was so GOOD.

-Something I've never seen before....cast members offering samples of treats outside candy stores. Happened once on Main Street and once in Frontierland. Didn't cause me to make any purchases, but was definitely a nice touch.

-Six different rides were either down or experienced stalls during my experiences. Sat for a while on PeopleMover, and noticed that the seats are ripping apart. I didn't think the park itself seemed dirty or unkept, but I do think some attractions need sprucing up in a major way.

-On the flip side, this was the first time I've seen the revamped Hall of Presidents, and it is OUTSTANDING. The two security guards in the theatre were a little awkward to see at first, but the crowd was respectful and reverent. I think most people *get* what Kevin said....it's a historic attraction, not a political attraction.

-Jiko=Best meal I've ever had on property, and one of the best three meals I've ever had in my entire life. It's been a week, and I'm still thinking about it. A lot.

-Got to see the afternoon Flag Retreat in Main Street for the first time, and that was a very cool experience. Highly recommend.

-I really wish that some of the more unique merchandise from Springs stores could find their way into the parks. Even the selection in the Emporium just seemed so repetitive. And that store used to carry WDW books, etc., and I saw very little of that stuff this time around. Disappointing.

-Prefer Flower/Garden over Food/Wine. Much more of a mature, chill crowd, the topiaries are beautiful, and the food is outstanding.

-I don't like "Happily Ever After" all that much. Don't @ me.

-Out.

Here are some post-trip randoms from my time at WDW last week....

-Coronado Springs....just too big for my taste. Renovated room was outstanding, but the place is just massive, and because of its size and construction, there's just no synergy/cohesion to the whole thing. Pepper Market wasn't great, but the gelato at Cafe Rix was spot-on. Bus service was timely. Do I regret staying there? No. Would I go out of my way to stay there again? No.

-Disneyland gets all the love in terms of cast members, but this trip probably featured the best CM interactions I've ever had. Pleasant, helpful, and very engaging all the way around. I usually only notice customer service when it's bad, but in this rare case, I noticed it because it was so GOOD.

-Something I've never seen before....cast members offering samples of treats outside candy stores. Happened once on Main Street and once in Frontierland. Didn't cause me to make any purchases, but was definitely a nice touch.

-Six different rides were either down or experienced stalls during my experiences. Sat for a while on PeopleMover, and noticed that the seats are ripping apart. I didn't think the park itself seemed dirty or unkept, but I do think some attractions need sprucing up in a major way.

-On the flip side, this was the first time I've seen the revamped Hall of Presidents, and it is OUTSTANDING. The two security guards in the theatre were a little awkward to see at first, but the crowd was respectful and reverent. I think most people *get* what Kevin said....it's a historic attraction, not a political attraction.

-Jiko=Best meal I've ever had on property, and one of the best three meals I've ever had in my entire life. It's been a week, and I'm still thinking about it. A lot.

-Got to see the afternoon Flag Retreat in Main Street for the first time, and that was a very cool experience. Highly recommend.

-I really wish that some of the more unique merchandise from Springs stores could find their way into the parks. Even the selection in the Emporium just seemed so repetitive. And that store used to carry WDW books, etc., and I saw very little of that stuff this time around. Disappointing.

-Prefer Flower/Garden over Food/Wine. Much more of a mature, chill crowd, the topiaries are beautiful, and the food is outstanding.

-I don't like "Happily Ever After" all that much. Don't @ me.

-Out.
Thanx for sharing your impressions, Llama. Glad your CM interaction was so good. I had the same thoughts about CS's size when I 'toured" there years ago, and did not care for Pepper Market at all - not he food, and perhaps the layout/ordering system has changed, but at the time, it was VERY confusing. You needed a Birnbaum Guide just to find your food - they actually gave you a "map" of what "ordering sections" were where on the back of your price/punch card! Glad you also enjoyed Jiko so much, I've always had excellent experiences there. I've never been to F&G, just F&W (mostly because of temps/weather concerns), but I LOVE looking at pics during F&G - Epcot is DEFINITELY at her prettiest during the Festival! As I've posted before, the Flag Retreat has become a personal tradition of mine, ever since I found out about it several trips back. Makes me feel very proudly (and emotionally) American! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter