Universal Hotel Questions

I think this is comparing apples and oranges.... If you are comparing rooms The Loews hotels at universal are noticeable better than what Disney has. However if you are comparing Grounds Disney Hotels will be noticeable better. As far as amenities are concerned Disney offers more as they will have things Lowes can not offer due to the size and land limitations such as Boat rentals, Bicycle rentals walking trails spread out theming and other things of the like (AKA the grounds) that Disney charges for it even if you do not use it or have no interest in it. Value wise the bottom line is if you want to stay at a Disney resort well that is the price.... The only hotel that I can say that truly stands out is Cabana Bay as they offer 2 great pools one with a slide and a great lazy river which is separate from the 2nd pool with nice rooms but again you do not have the grounds of a Disney resort but here the value grounds can not make up for the pools and rooms.... much less the food quality-- and I mean the food quality at this Loews hotel not at Universal parks... My opinion is Both Disney and universal have good and bad but in the end saying this is better or does this compare... is meaningless as if you want to go to Disney staying at a Loews hotel is not a great option and vice versa. Research the Hotels ask questions about where you intend to stay and find out the good and bad of a hotel period weather at Universal or Disney.

I have not stayed at those two, but have stayed at Royal Pacific, which I think is in the same category. I believe Hard Rock, Portofino Bay and Royal Pacific are comparable to Disney deluxe resorts. I think Cabana Bay may be more like a value and Sapphire Falls a moderate.
I was looking at Sapphire Falls for our trip to Universal but the rooms look small. We can get OKW renting points for 30.00 more and have transportation from the airport, a balcony and kitchenette. Or is Sapphire okay and should we stay there instead?

I was looking at Sapphire Falls for our trip to Universal but the rooms look small. We can get OKW renting points for 30.00 more and have transportation from the airport, a balcony and kitchenette. Or is Sapphire okay and should we stay there instead?

Everyone's opinion is going to differ, but I think Sapphire Falls is a really nice resort. I'd consider it more than just "okay," but we may have different opinions and priorities in what we look for in a resort.

I personally wouldn't stay at Disney to do a Universal trip. You mention free airport transfer, but the money you spend going from OKW to Universal will more than eat up the savings of using DME to and from the airport.

IMO, one of the strengths of Universal vs. Disney is how compact it is. It is so fast and easy to get from hotel to park and back. There's no waiting ages for a bus that may not come for another half hour, like at Disney. If it's a Universal trip, I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice to spend all that time commuting between the two areas when you could just walk out of your room, hop on a water taxi, and be at the parks in minutes. Although Sapphire Falls doesn't get you express pass, it does get you into the parks early, which can be a big plus.

OKW rooms are bigger than SF (OKW 376 square feet; SF 321 square feet), and both offer two queen beds. As for the balcony, will you get a lot of use out of it, or is it just a "nice to have" feature? Same for the kitchenette - how much do you plan to use it? If you are really the type who treasures your morning coffee on the balcony and likes to prepare meals, OKW might be a good choice for you. But, if you're really looking for space to kick back at a good price, why not save some money and stay at one of the area's many resorts not connected to a theme park? You can get balconies/patios and full kitchens in suites/condos/houses for less than either Old Key West or Sapphire Falls, definitely more bang for your buck than at a Disney resort.

That's tough decision. Just got back from Sapphire Falls & loved it. It is Universal's convention resort. There are a few business folks walking around. Did not bother us but I know I read others that it did. For whatever that's worth. If it were me I would go with OKW. Like PP mentioned its a bigger room and the balcony and kitchen. As much as I like Sapphire I would have to go with OKW.

I'm sure OKW is a bigger place but you did to configure in commute and parking time. That can add 1 1/2 hours to your day each way with traffic and parking garage issues. Is that really how you want to start and end your day? My time is worth money to me and that's a deal breaker.

We rent points at Disney, but I have to agree with missing a balcony over at Universal! We really enjoy having breakfast out there! But we also love the Universal hotels, 2 different experiences.

We rent points at Disney, but I have to agree with missing a balcony over at Universal! We really enjoy having breakfast out there! But we also love the Universal hotels, 2 different experiences.
The cost altogether for universal was just too much so we are going with SSR rental and fun time at DS and MK. Mostly looking to escape VT winter in February ! Looking forward to our balcony for sure!

I'm getting a little nervous about going from Loews Pacific to Port Orleans Riverside. An above poster talking about the difference in grounds/amenities (in WDW resorts' favor) has calmed me a bit. The grounds and amenities (fishing!) at POR seem like a lot of fun. My bf already prefers Universal, so I hate to spoil him with a super nice Universal hotel stay and then move to a moderate at WDW. But I think/hope it will be fine.

I'm getting a little nervous about going from Loews Pacific to Port Orleans Riverside. An above poster talking about the difference in grounds/amenities (in WDW resorts' favor) has calmed me a bit. The grounds and amenities (fishing!) at POR seem like a lot of fun. My bf already prefers Universal, so I hate to spoil him with a super nice Universal hotel stay and then move to a moderate at WDW. But I think/hope it will be fine.

It will be fine.

Both hotels are lovely, different, but lovely........:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!