Ulu cafe--Cats??

Two weeks ago, I didn't see a cat... but I did see a mongoose over there! Perhaps the mongoose and cat don't like to hang out with each other...
Mongoose!!! Oh my!!
Last summer while there we saw lots of mice running around by pool deck plantings/shrubbery. Staff told us they were trying different things to keep them away from guest areas. I figured the cats were there way to help that problem! But...Ahhh I'm so allergic to cats!! So I was wondering if they were still around did they roam or come up to people. Glad to hear they aren't around lately tho.. Thx!!
We are going back in a few weeks

The mongoose are naturally-occurring, I believe. Because people feed the birds (despite the signs), the birds are terrible thieves. I was talking about them to a CM, who said that the only natural predator they had there was the mongoose, which at that point I had never seen. Then my daughter saw one over in the sunset point area away from the cove, darting in the greenery between the grass and rocks. And then I saw one hiding out in front of the Wainae tower area between the walking path and the ground floor patios. Another woman and I frantically tried to get our phones out to snap a pic, but it was gone by then. Clearly not a nuisance animal, though, b/c he had no interest in sticking around when humans were close.

They mongoose are a lot like squirrels here. They're everywhere and they're harmless. By and large, like squirrels you don't want to feed them or bother them. And like squirrels they will keep their distance from you.

Feral cats are a huge problem here. HUGE

Those cats must keep away too b/c I'm allergic as well and pretty alert to their presence, but 8 nights/9 days, didn't see one at all, at Aulani or elsewhere in Oahu. Don't want the OP to worry!!

The mongoose are naturally-occurring, I believe. Because people feed the birds (despite the signs), the birds are terrible thieves. I was talking about them to a CM, who said that the only natural predator they had there was the mongoose, which at that point I had never seen. Then my daughter saw one over in the sunset point area away from the cove, darting in the greenery between the grass and rocks. And then I saw one hiding out in front of the Wainae tower area between the walking path and the ground floor patios. Another woman and I frantically tried to get our phones out to snap a pic, but it was gone by then. Clearly not a nuisance animal, though, b/c he had no interest in sticking around when humans were close.
Thx! I was just telling my husband about the mongoose and he said he saw a few last year as well! They were in the rocks/greenery/shrubbery overlooking the ocean
Good to hear they have no interest in sticking around !! Lol

They mongoose are a lot like squirrels here. They're everywhere and they're harmless. By and large, like squirrels you don't want to feed them or bother them. And like squirrels they will keep their distance from you.

Feral cats are a huge problem here. HUGE
Why Won't it let me multi-quote from my phone!!!! Ugh!!

Anyway....Thx for the info. Good to know they will keep their distance!!

Yeah, I was a little freaked out by mongoose too when I first got here. But now I realize how little they want to be around people. I've never seen one act aggressive in any way. Usually they're just scurrying around.

Yeah, I was a little freaked out by mongoose too when I first got here. But now I realize how little they want to be around people. I've never seen one act aggressive in any way. Usually they're just scurrying around.
On our fist visit I saw one run out of a parking lot into a bush by the door to the restaurant we were visiting. I had never seen a mongoose and didn't know what I had just seen. After we sat down we googled "Hawaiian cat squirrel" because that is what it looked like to us.

We were brought to this page: http://www.instanthawaii.com/cgi-bin/hi?Animals.mongoose

To think it all started with 72 of them being brought to Hawaii in 1883.

Might be time to import some snakes, hawks, or jackal to Hawaii because that always works so well in nursery rhymes.

A mongoose ran over my sandaled foot at Aulani once. Since I felt it first (aka "WTH FURRY THING JUST BRUSHED AGAINST ME!?!") before seeing it I had a momentary freakout. Beats a rat though I guess.

We were at Aulani in June. Tons of birds at Ulu (why are they all missing legs?!) and no cats but we saw a TON of mongooses. They would shoot out from the brush and cut you off as you were on the walkways scaring me EVERY time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter