Uber help - regarding scooters

snoopy352

Mouseketeer
Not sure whether to post here or on Disabilities but does anyone know if Uber will handle on scooter? There are three of us. If so, what does one ask for in the app? Thanks a lot!

Not sure whether to post here or on Disabilities but does anyone know if Uber will handle on scooter? There are three of us. If so, what does one ask for in the app? Thanks a lot!
No personal experience, but there is a category called Uber WAV which says wheelchair accessible vehicles. My first thought was Uber XL which says groups of 6, but I'm not sure that would work.

Are you planning to disassemble it and place it in the trunk?

Uber WAV is not available in Orlando. People who are dependent on power chairs are really being left out, again.

The short answer to your question is no, but you can try with either Uber or Lyft.

Under the existing Covid restrictions, the max capacity of X is 3 anyway, so I would request an XL vehicle.

As soon as a driver accepts your ride, call them and explain that you have a scooter. If the scooter can be broken down, they may agree to continue the ride. If you don't call, you are pretty much 100% guaranteed a cancellation and cancellation fee.

You should not expect the driver to disassemble the scooter or lift it into the vehicle. Drivers get paid to drive from A to B, not to lift heavy things. If you (or someone) can handle that, be sure to tell the driver right away in the phone call.

If the Uber or Lyft driver won't provide the ride, don't be mad at them. Very few transportation services provide full service for every possible need.

I would also advise checking with Mears to see if they have accessible vehicles which can meet your needs.

Mears has accessible vans. It has a ramp. The scooter doesn't have to be taken apart. The guest has the option of staying in the ECV or sitting in a seat. It will take the full sized Victory Scooter most places rent. Call Mears in advance to book.

You could probably book an Uber XL and dissasembled the smaller scooter before the driver arrived. The pieces weigh less then luggage. I expect the driver will load my luggage in the trunk. Similarly I expect the driver will load an already dissasembled scooter in the trunk. I can't think if any reason why a driver is allowed to do less, under the ADA.

Last edited:
Mears has accessible vans. It has a ramp. The scooter doesn't have to be taken apart. The guest has the option of staying in the ECV or sitting in a seat. It will take the full sized Victory Scooter most places rent. Call Mears in advance to book.

You could probably book an Uber XL and dissasembled the smaller scooter before the driver arrived. The pieces weigh less then luggage. I expect the driver will load my luggage in the trunk. Similarly I expect the driver will load an already dissasembled scooter in the trunk. I can't think if any reason why a driver is allowed to do less, under the ADA.
You may expect it, but heavy lifting is not a requirement for driving. Some drivers are themselves older or may have medical conditions which limit their lifting ability. ADA requires service providers to provide equivalent service to anyone, with reasonable accommodation. I don't think that would include lifting multiple items up to 50# into the trunk. Even small scooters have disassembled parts weighing up to 35#.

You may expect it, but heavy lifting is not a requirement for driving. Some drivers are themselves older or may have medical conditions which limit their lifting ability. ADA requires service providers to provide equivalent service to anyone, with reasonable accommodation. I don't think that would include lifting multiple items up to 50# into the trunk. Even small scooters have disassembled parts weighing up to 35#.
and most airlines impose a 50lb maximum weight for checked luggage. Sometimes 70 lbs if you have elite status, are booked in first class or pay for overweight.

Does any Uber driver expect a passenger to load their luggage? I don't think the ADA would allow a driver to treat a dissasembled ECV any different then luggage.

Ordering an appropriate Mears vehicle eliminates the need to dissassemble your scooter. It allows you to use a full sized scooter. The most you'll pay is the same rate as a regular taxi.

Easier then having issues with ride share.

and most airlines impose a 50lb maximum weight for checked luggage. Sometimes 70 lbs if you have elite status, are booked in first class or pay for overweight.
Not sure this is an equivalent comparison.

From experience, pound for pound luggage is much easier to handle than scooter parts. Luggage often can be slid where scooter parts need to be precisely placed. It’s more challenging to arrange ECV parts without damaging ourselves, the scooter or the vehicle.

Beside different jobs have different requirements. Wouldn’t it be unfair to exclude employment to all rideshare drivers that have a physical disability or limitation? A job as an airline employee handling luggage needs to tolerate certain physical demands. A driver not necessarily.

eta- I’d expect rideshare drivers with physical limitations to avoid the airport route.

Last edited:
People want to get their monies worth when checking luggage will pack full, close to 50lbs. The heaviest scooter part is 36lbs.

I think a driver who loads luggage in the trunk should be required to load an already fully dissasembled scooter.

What would your response be if your Uber driver asked you to load and unload all your luggage? Having the ability to load luggage is part of the job.

Beside different jobs have different requirements. Wouldn’t it be unfair to exclude employment to all rideshare drivers that have a physical disability or limitation? A job as an airline employee handling luggage needs to tolerate certain physical demands. A driver not necessarily.
Exactly. Airport luggage handlers universally wear back braces. I've never seen a rideshare driver wearing one.
What would your response be if your Uber driver asked you to load and unload all your luggage? Having the ability to load luggage is part of the job.
No, it is not. There was nothing in Uber's recruitment material about handling luggage.

Exactly. Airport luggage handlers universally wear back braces. I've never seen a rideshare driver wearing one.
Have you ever heard of a rideshare driver expecting guest to load their own luggage in the trunk? Id probably wind up doing it. No tip. Lowest possible rating. Complaint filed with Uber

That said I'll rethink my point. Book a Mears. Easier then having to dissassemble the scooter and possibly having issues with Uber.

I’d try to manage myself or we may even try together. A bystander may step in to help.

I’m pretty sure drivers with physical limitations try their best to avoid airport routes for that reason. They will focus on routes least likely to involve luggage or heavy goods.

What good & bad would come of requiring all drivers to pass a physical requirement test like airport luggage handlers? The bad would be excluding people with physical limitations from ever holding employment as a driver. What would that accomplish? Would likely violate ADA as well. Could you imagine… nobody allowed to get a driver job unless they had zero physical impairments.

Have you ever heard of a rideshare driver expecting guest to load their own luggage in the trunk? Id probably wind up doing it. No tip. Lowest possible rating. Complaint filed with Uber

That said I'll rethink my point. Book a Mears. Easier then having to dissassemble the scooter and possibly having issues with Uber.
Those are absolutely valid responses.

I think a driver who loads luggage in the trunk should be required to load an already fully dissasembled scooter.

Having the ability to load luggage is part of the job.
No, it most certainly is NOT. Regardless of anyone's personal opinions or wishes, neither Uber nor Lyft require (or even expect) drivers to load luggage...or anything else.

Back in my driving days, I preferred to load luggage for riders -- but that was to protect my car from careless loading, not because I was required.

Those are absolutely valid responses.
Agree, although they are not going to ruin anyone's career as a driver, LOL.

The driver will just think the rider was yet another person too cheap to tip, and they probably have thousands of other ride ratings to offset the one-star. The complaint would be noted, but wouldn't be an issue unless the driver had a history of complaints.

The most likely effect of all that drama would come the next time that driver approached a rider with a partially-disassembled scooter. They might cancel the ride and move on with their day rather than risk low ratings and complaints.

I certainly do not expect an Uber driver to handle my luggage. I also don't pack more than I can lift myself.

That said, I totally understand people have physical limitations, so a good rule of thumb is to call your driver and say you need help with your bags – if that's the case.

Last edited:
I've ridden Uber in DC. I did not expect the driver to load my luggage into my car, but the driver was willing to do so (offered). I did call and text to let the driver know that we had luggage as we were moving hotels. We made sure to tip well.

Uber and Lyft are not taxi services (taxis, yes, I expect them to help with the luggage) so why anyone would expect them to help with luggage or put a scooter into one's trunk is weird.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest