Two Years and Already Decided to Sell

I don't consider the choice to sell a sad thing. If the OP feels like they got their value and the family is ready to move on, good for them for getting a few good trips, and a profit on the sale.

I personally think that the sad comment is because they didn’t think about renting out their points for awhile. That they posted now, while in a contract, instead of ahead of time to brainstorm.

[I ended up very happy that I posted something about *thinking of selling* since we’re going through a divorce and my attorney has Disney-shamed me. (Also “SAHM-mom” shamed me, but that bothered me less than the Disney stuff) I posted here, and people jumped in with ideas and words like “Disney is YOUR thing, don’t let him take it away from you”. And they were right. Thankfully he feels so guilty for how he did things that he’s just giving it to me (though I’m stating that I’ll share proceeds if I sell inside a certain timespan), and I’ve budgeted for 6 months of dues so far.

I was glad I didn’t post after I’d sold.

That’s why I think I get what the “so sad” comment meant.]

DVC is definitely not for everyone. It sounds like selling is a great decision for you - as Bing said, its a lot of capital to have tied up in a downturn. You haven't lost any money out of it, got a few vacations, and are getting rid of it before it becomes any sort of burden - sounds like you "won"

I personally think that the sad comment is because they didn’t think about renting out their points for awhile. That they posted now, while in a contract, instead of ahead of time to brainstorm.

[I ended up very happy that I posted something about *thinking of selling* since we’re going through a divorce and my attorney has Disney-shamed me. (Also “SAHM-mom” shamed me, but that bothered me less than the Disney stuff) I posted here, and people jumped in with ideas and words like “Disney is YOUR thing, don’t let him take it away from you”. And they were right. Thankfully he feels so guilty for how he did things that he’s just giving it to me (though I’m stating that I’ll share proceeds if I sell inside a certain timespan), and I’ve budgeted for 6 months of dues so far.

You need a new attorney. What an awful human being. >:(

We did the same thing, deciding to sell after 1 1/2ys. We've had an OKW since 1997. Beginning of last year with prices so low we purchased BC. Our 1st BC offer got ROFR. While waiting on our 2nd BC offer to pass ROFR, we submitted another offer on an OKW. Surprisingly, they both passed ROFR. Well,okay, now we have 3 DVC's.
Prices seemed to go up drastically this year so we tested the market on both of the new contracts purchased. Ending up selling the newly purchased OKW for $34./pt higher than what we paid at the beginning of 2017. Unbelievable!

Ugh I hate people like this, completely out of order behavior. Everyone has a "thing" and we don't always understand it. How is it any different than working on cars all the time or having season tickets for football/baseball/hockey? Kids are expensive so one parent staying at home makes sense for the first 3-4 years, after that point it can be hard to re-enter the job market. My mother was a SAHM and I appreciated her being there for us after school. I do wish I could do that for my son but, you know that single mom life. I hope things have gone better for you after that.

This is why I don't get everyone's hangup about "only" having 23 years left on a contract. How many people have held a contract for 20+ years?

Great question. It seems majority of owners use it for 5 to 7 years and then once their usage slows down they sell their membership.

We're in year 26 and have no plans to sell anytime soon, most likely our children will take ownership someday.

To the OP I understand your point. DVC while a "savings" on paper actually ends up costing you more money at Disney through the mandatory trips. Disney is also raising ticket prices year after year at a rate greater than inflation will most likely continue to do so with all of the new construction going onsite. 5-10 years from now I cringe at where the pricing is going to be at. For me it is not a question of affordability, but more so the value for the money which Disney is slipping further and further away each year.

I am looking forward to Star Wars land and all of the neat stuff that should be wrapping up in time for the 50th anniversary of WDW but after that I could see pulling the DVC plug as an easy decision.

Did you stay mostly (or always) in studios? The reason I ask is that the 1 BRs are more "apartment like", with a refrigerator and separate bedroom. That's the big lure for us-no more hotel rooms. But I'll admit that we have been using our points at non-WDW locations (mostly HHI). Sounds like you're doing the right thing for you.

Did you stay mostly (or always) in studios? The reason I ask is that the 1 BRs are more "apartment like", with a refrigerator and separate bedroom. That's the big lure for us-no more hotel rooms. But I'll admit that we have been using our points at non-WDW locations (mostly HHI). Sounds like you're doing the right thing for you.
You may want to buy a HHI resale contract instead of using your DVC points.

This is why I don't get everyone's hangup about "only" having 23 years left on a contract. How many people have held a contract for 20+ years?

Well, we have had ours 19 years now (BWV), and plan on keeping it, as it is paid for! (YAY!). Our kids are in there 20's, and we plan on using it for the
foreseeable future! No plans to sell, but BOY, have the prices gone way up! We could sell now, and DOUBLE our initial outlay of a Timeshare from
19 years ago...!

Well, we have had ours 19 years now (BWV), and plan on keeping it, as it is paid for! (YAY!). Our kids are in there 20's, and we plan on using it for the
foreseeable future! No plans to sell, but BOY, have the prices gone way up! We could sell now, and DOUBLE our initial outlay of a Timeshare from
19 years ago...!

With MFs, though, you're only about 1/4 of the way through paying for it, and if you were to sell now, I bet the sales price would only equal what you paid + what you paid annually. Not at all a bad deal, that would mean you got 19 years of free trips! Just pointing out that the financials are not as simple as buying and selling price.

I think this goes back to the idea that DVC is not for everyone. You must do your research and see if it fits for you.
My guess is, if they had really evaluated things closely, they never would have purchased in the first place. This is one of those things where its easy to get caught up and buy on a whim. Not a good idea.
I think it would be interesting to see how long the average DVC member holds onto a membership.

With MFs, though, you're only about 1/4 of the way through paying for it, and if you were to sell now, I bet the sales price would only equal what you paid + what you paid annually. Not at all a bad deal, that would mean you got 19 years of free trips! Just pointing out that the financials are not as simple as buying and selling price.

That might be true, BUT, you left out important facts-1. You could have claimed the mortgage interest (if financed) all those years. 2- Claimed the real
estate taxes all those years. 3-EVERY timeshare/condo/etc has maintenance fees, so you can't remove that component. 4- There are many
timeshares that are terrible and losing money, and not taken care of the way DVC is. I could name 10 at least...

Only 2 timeshares I looked at before buying- Marriott and DVC. That still stands today. And trust me- we did our research way back in 1999 before
buying... Maybe to you or someone else, it is not the thing to do.. But for us, it works.. It really works if all contracts are paid off!

Just my .o2 cents....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter