Two year old Bday at BOG?

Raven01

Proud Momma to DD
I have a December trip planned when my daughter will turn two. I worked very, very hard to have her, and her grandpa has decided our special miracle girl will have her first trip to Disney over her birthday.

Her birthday dinner is a big deal, and my primary consideration for the upcoming ADR date. While I originally was going to go for CRT, we have never been to BOG and therefore, I'm planning to try and get an ADR there. Her birthday is December 6, which I think is a MVMCP date. Because she is not going to be up late, we are not planning on going to the party.

Questions:

1. Any other birthday celebration ideas? I've seen the cake threads, and will order either the Mickey Hat cake or the restaurant's special dessert for her. I've also read about the First Wish and Disney Fairy Tale celebrations, but I think the gifts are simply too old and too expensive for her age. I'd love to do something special that doesn't break the bank.

2. Any tips for BOG? I know it's now fixe price at dinner, and I know to log on and be ready at 6 am on ADR day. Anything else to maximize my chances?

3. Should I reconsider CRT? Since both are 2 table services, we could technically do CRT for dinner and BOG for breakfast or lunch, and get BOTH in. Grandparents remembered bad food at CRT so aren't too keen on it again (but the bad food was about 15 years ago).

3. Any other tips for traveling with a toddler? Can't miss places?

My munchkin is my one and only child, and I won't be having another. I'm trying to balance the "only child" syndrome with the "Momma never gets to experience this again" disease.

I think I would stick to Cinderella Castle or Akershus for princesses. Beast is pretty intimidating for little one and there are no princesses. The price fix meal is not something I think a 2 year old would eat and is pretty noisy. Akershus character meal is a little easier to get and is only one table service. Princesses" who MAY appear include: Belle, Jasmine, Snow White, Princess Aurora (Sleeping Beauty), Mulan, and Mary Poppins. They also have a princess parade with little ones touring the restaurant with all the princesses. What ever you decide, enjoy!

Since you are planning for a party night and won't be going to the party, you have a small window of time open for day guests for dinner meals at Magic Kingdom. You may want to plan a backup in case you can't get something in Magic Kingdom.

Absolutely agree with @Allison. Both CRT and BOG have limited windows for dinner in MK on party nights.

A few alternate ideas:

CRT for lunch (she's 2, lunch can be as festive as a dinner)
1900 Park Fare for dinner (it's got Cinderella)
No MK on her birthday and go to Epcot for Akershus instead
Celebrate her birthday on a different day (she's 2, no sense of absolute calendar time, another night can be "her birthday" this once)

1900 park fare is fun at the grand Floridian and you could make the reservation for after you finish st magic kingdom since it' on the monorail. Also, its a buffet and therefore a lot if choices food wise. We have done that one quite a few times with our only child who is nuts about the princesses as well and she has always enjoyed this one. The stepsisters make it fun too!

I'll reiterate what the others have said. I would either look for a back-up, alternate night for BOG or pick a different restaurant altogether. BOG will have really slim pickings (if anything at all) on a party night. At least that's the experience I'm having trying to book BOG on a party night and I started looking as soon as they switched over to the prix-fixe and opened reservations for my dining date.

IMHO, BOG isn't a very festive restaurant for a 2-year old birthday. I guess it depends on what you are going for. I would definitely consider CRT or Akershus instead.

Thank you guys! I've only been to Disney during the summer - Christmas is a new experience, and I've never dealt with the party days before.

I think the grandparents will have to deal with an alternative to BOG for dinner; I want to eat there, but breakfast or lunch would work just fine.

I'm open to other birthday ideas!

Okay, so now I'm seriously looking at 1900 Park Fare. That would be an easy trek from the Magic Kingdom, the hotel is gorgeous, and I could get her a semi-fancy fondant birthday cake, right? I was thinking it would be easier to have a relaxing dinner there focusing on her, versus something at the Magic Kingdom. We would spend the day in the Magic Kingdom instead.

Thoughts? How long does it take to get to GF from MK?

We are going for a total of 5 nights. Other meals on my radar are:

Tusker House (must do, Grandpa wants to see Rivers of Light so I want the package)
Hollywood and Vine (for Disney Jr. Characters)
Garden Grill (open to options here)
BOG (quick service)

If I ditch CRT and BOG 2 credit dinners for the 1 credit 1900 Park Fare, then I can add another table service. Decisions ...

I agree with PPs and not do BOG or CRT. While CRT is nice once we did not like the food there. I also agree about BOG - the beast would be intimidating. We love Akershus at EPCOT. But do really enjoy 1900 PF for the characters and the food. We love walking around the GF. You can take the boat or monorail to GF from MK (We love the boat). It shouldn't take long but give at least 30 minutes in case you have to wait.
You have great other restaurants. We love Tusker House and Garden Grill.
Enjoy and congrats on your DDs birthday.

I will add to the ditch CRT and BOG crowd. Personally, with a two year old I would not choose a buffet for a birthday meal. I think that I would look at AYCTE options so my family could just sit back and enjoy my little one's reactions. I really love Akershus breakfast for the Princess fix. It is more relaxed than CRT, and I feel the the interaction is better.

Garden Grill, any meal is awesome!!! I also wonder if you are in DHS. Hollywood & VIne gets a lot of negative reviews, but the characters are wicked cute.

I can ditch Hollywood and Vine if I can find Doc McStuffins or Sofia the First somewhere else? I think I read that Doc is at the Animal Kingdom now?

And I’m set on 1900 Park Fare now. I’m going to try for a dinner reservation, we can go early and look at decorations. The experience is what I want, and I can get her a mini cake for her birthday. This trip is on toddler time, and rushing at the MK on a party night isn’t going to be the experience I want for her (or us!).

I would say 1900 Park Fare will give the best atmosphere for a young child or CRT. BOG currently has appaling service so its a big no from me!

Another vote here for 1900PF. Such a fun atmosphere, perfect for a toddler’s birthday! That meal is a hoot. Fun for all. I love that idea.

I think 1900 Park Fare for her birthday dinner is a great idea. I would probably be at the monorail station at least 30 - 45 minutes prior to your ADR time. This gives you plenty of time to take the monorail over, see the Christmas decorations and check in to the restaurant. GF is gorgeous at Christmas time!

Just to give you more options.... my best character meal experience EVER was going to Chef Mickeys for my DD 2nd bday. At the time, she was completely in love with the Mickey Mouse clubhouse and Mickey in particular. So going to that restaurant was just amazing for her. There are lots of Mickey pictures on the way, not so hidden mickeys around the restaurant etc. so she loved it. She was thrilled about waving her napkin - and getting a special cupcake and Mickey card signed by all the characters. She also wore her Minnie Mouse dress and got lots of special attention for that as well. I mean it was probably one of my top experiences ever at WDW (and we go a lot) so I think I’d be remiss if I didn’t suggest it. The food isn’t out of this world but the enjoyment of my DD was unforgettable.

Okay, so now I'm seriously looking at 1900 Park Fare. That would be an easy trek from the Magic Kingdom, the hotel is gorgeous, and I could get her a semi-fancy fondant birthday cake, right? I was thinking it would be easier to have a relaxing dinner there focusing on her, versus something at the Magic Kingdom. We would spend the day in the Magic Kingdom instead.

Thoughts? How long does it take to get to GF from MK?

We are going for a total of 5 nights. Other meals on my radar are:

Tusker House (must do, Grandpa wants to see Rivers of Light so I want the package)
Hollywood and Vine (for Disney Jr. Characters)
Garden Grill (open to options here)
BOG (quick service)

If I ditch CRT and BOG 2 credit dinners for the 1 credit 1900 Park Fare, then I can add another table service. Decisions ...
Tusker house and Garden grill complement each other well, they both have Mickey but all the other characters are different and it gets you all the classics except Minnie.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter