TSA Precheck approval process- our timeline

Starshine

"Like many other much-loved humans, they believed
Just wanted to post out timeline for getting approved for TSA Precheck in case it helps someone else, we weren't sure what to expect.

Tuesday 9/4/18 applied online, made appointments for Friday with no issues
Friday 9/7/18 completed interview process
Saturday 9/8/18 checked status online, it said we would receive a letter within 10 days
Monday 9/10/18 received emails stating we were approved and were able to log in and get our KTN numbers!

I was pleasantly surprised how quickly and easily it went! We were in and out of the interview location within 30 minutes total for both of our appointments. Honestly the worst part of the whole process was going to the local health department to get certified copies of our birth certificates. If we had passports it would have been even easier.

I didn’t think to make a timeline, but ours was really quick as well. We had passports. The one glitch I ran into was SSNs. I don’t have my kids memorized and I don’t have them written down! We arrived at the appointment with everything we needed, except the boys SSNs. Fortunately, the manager had a suggestion, she had me call our CPA, who relayed the numbers, and we were on our way.

It's such an easy process. I happened upon an article this week that again brought up a new bill in the House (or was it the Senate) that passed whichever one it was in, that said they were going to eliminate the free version due to it slowing things down for those who pay. No idea if it will go anywhere of course but we've loved not having to worry about will we or won't we get it for the past 2 years. I can't imagine flying without it ever again.

My experience is similar to yours, OP. It was about a week start to finish for me when I applied last summer. I could never NOT have it now!

I had virtually the same time line but it was in July.

The hardest part was getting United to reimburse the fee, which is a new benefit of their credit card. That took 2 phone calls and 3 weeks. It was supposed to be automatic.

The hardest part was getting United to reimburse the fee, which is a new benefit of their credit card. That took 2 phone calls and 3 weeks. It was supposed to be automatic.

I'm supposed to get reimbursed on my Amex, hopefully I will have an easier time!

Our timeline took a little longer in April timeframe. I did the initial online application and set our appointments about 3 weeks out as I needed to order my birth certirficate from the State of Il and it said it would take about 2 weeks (took 4 days) and then have my Mom find her birth certificate since neither of us have current passports. Went for our appointments and mine was approved next day. For my Mom, they took the full 2 weeks to provide her approval (maybe since she is retired it was harder to get the necessary information on her?

Ours went very quickly as well. We had to do the interview in a different city (as our airport didn't offer it), so our longest wait was getting a time for the interview. Within a week of the interview we had our number.
It has been worth every penny. Everytime I walk past a long security line, it just makes me smile and reminds me why I didn't mind writing that check.

I'm supposed to get reimbursed on my Amex, hopefully I will have an easier time!
Update on the reimbursement, I just got my credit card statement. The Precheck fees hit the account on 9/9/18 and the reimbursement happened 9/10. :cool1: We only have one card so only got one reimbursement, but $85 total for two people for 5 years I can definitely handle!

I was lucky - got my United reimbursement immediately and got my KTN in less than a week. Thanks for posting this!

For those heading into renewals of their PreCheck, such as myself, you can do it completely online. No re-visit to airport or wherever you originally had it done necessary. Filled in a form (have passport handy for passport number and issue and expiration dates), sent in the $85 by CC, and had my new expiration date in about 1 hour. I also got to keep the same KTN, which saved me having to go back and re enter it on various airline sites.

We got ours in less than a week. Went last wednesday (walk in even) and had my email with the KTN on Monday and today received the notice thru regular mail.

For those heading into renewals of their PreCheck, such as myself, you can do it completely online. No re-visit to airport or wherever you originally had it done necessary. Filled in a form (have passport handy for passport number and issue and expiration dates), sent in the $85 by CC, and had my new expiration date in about 1 hour. I also got to keep the same KTN, which saved me having to go back and re enter it on various airline sites.

That's good to know, thanks!! :-)

I just had an epiphany the other day while getting ready to start the packing preparations for myself and my daughters:idea:. Normally, I have a strict rule that we take ONLY 2 pairs of shoes TOTAL...wear one and pack one. Typically, we either wear our slip-ons and pack our sandals, or vice versa, but I am always wishing I had my nice running shoes with me. They take up too much room in my bag and I do not want to deal with taking them on and off when going through security so I usually leave them at home. Then I remembered that we now have TSA Pre-Check!:teeth: Yeah!! I can *wear* my sneakers on the plane and easily pack my slip-ons AND my sandals in my bag:banana:.

I just had an epiphany the other day while getting ready to start the packing preparations for myself and my daughters:idea:. Normally, I have a strict rule that we take ONLY 2 pairs of shoes TOTAL...wear one and pack one. Typically, we either wear our slip-ons and pack our sandals, or vice versa, but I am always wishing I had my nice running shoes with me. They take up too much room in my bag and I do not want to deal with taking them on and off when going through security so I usually leave them at home. Then I remembered that we now have TSA Pre-Check!:teeth: Yeah!! I can *wear* my sneakers on the plane and easily pack my slip-ons AND my sandals in my bag:banana:.

I'm totally wearing my high top sneakers on the plane because I won't have to take them off!

If you fly a lot, the added cost for TSA precheck can help save time. However, we don't fly that often and frequently get randomly assigned to TSA Precheck with no added costs. Mostly depends on how often you fly and what that convenience is worth to you.

If you fly a lot, the added cost for TSA precheck can help save time. However, we don't fly that often and frequently get randomly assigned to TSA Precheck with no added costs. Mostly depends on how often you fly and what that convenience is worth to you.
I know that we have 2 flights in the next 2 years. If we have even one more after that, it breaks down to just under $30/trip. For me, I am willing to spend $30/person to bypass the regular security line at MCO alone. The added benefit of being able to keep my shoes on is a perk I hadn't even thought about, but I am now actually quite excited about it. I *love* my clunky, super-padded running shoes, but I hate packing them in my carry-on and I hate dealing with removing them for security, so they generally end up staying home for my Disney trips. Now, I can wear them right through security! We only fly once a year too, and sometimes, not even every year, but I still think it was well-worth the money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter