Trying to WOW the in-laws

Barringer75

Mouseketeer
This is our first trip to OKW and first time with extended family. We were able to get OKW GV for end of August---our first WOW! But DH & I have never been to OKW, only BCV & BWV. We'll have several children under 13, so I know that the new sandcastle pool/slide will be a big hit. Should I request a building near the main pool? Do they have children activities or a community hall like BWV? What is the transportation like (bus, boats)?

What special things do you do at OKW? Any "insider info" is much appreciated!! :flower:

WOW the in-laws? Can't be done.

Been there, done that. Through the anals of time it has been proven over and over, in-laws cannot be impressed :rotfl:

My personal opinion is that you don't need to be near the Main pool to enjoy it. In fact, if you are anywhere in the complex, you are just a short busride away from the main pool area. All buses stop there last, so you just hop on the first bus that comes and get off at HH. There are some kids programs, but we have not had any kids take advantage of them in years, so I don't know too much about them right now. I do know they have a fishing program. The GVs at OKW are marvelous and large and spread all throughout the resort. Buildings 15, 16, 63, 25, and 29 all have GVs and they would be the closest to the HH main pool area. Buildings 19 and 22 are GV buildings that are near enough to HH, but are closest to the Miller's Road pool. Building 43 has GVs and would be closest to the Turtle Pond area. Buildings 49, 48, 51, and 53 have GVs and are in the Southpoint area farthest from the HH main pool.

FYI, we actually prefer the neighborhood pools over the main pool unless you are going for the slide. Each pool area has a playground and sand area near it. The main pool has a larger sand area with huge sand pail icons and a wading pool (I think it is still there).

TW1 said:
Through the anals of time it has been proven over and over, in-laws cannot be impressed :rotfl:
Maybe that's the problem...you've been going through the wrong section of time! :teeth:

Just kidding...couldn't resist.

As for the location, I agree with Diane. Just getting them into a GV is your best shot at impressing them. Of course, you can always request near HH...no harm in asking as long as you understand that it's just a request.

In answer to your question, OKW does have a Community Hall similar to BWV.

As for impressing the in-laws....well, if they're worth their salt as in-laws, they'll never let you know if they are impressed! :rotfl2:

Granny said:
Maybe that's the problem...you've been going through the wrong section of time:rotfl2:

Oops. That's what happens when I think about spending time with in-laws. :rotfl: Seriously though, I loved when she came for the holidays, except that she came on New Year's and left on Christmas.

Good luck with the in-laws. My wife and I have considered taking my folks on a WDW trip. I doubt that they would be impressed or truly enjoy the trip. I said a prayer that if our waitlist for a 2BR comes through by the end of June for October 2005, we will ask them. If it doesn't, we'll go to the 1BR I was able to reserve!

I like being near the HH. Our kids can walk over to the main pool and community hall, and back by themselves -- and we can walk over for a quick meal or to the Gurgling Suitcase :drinking1 .

But then I have no experience with the other pools and areas of OKW so have nothing to compare with.

Let us know what happens. I'm thinking of doing the same with my in-laws sometime. (I assume they're getting the master BR.)

Actually, my meaning of "in-laws" this time was sister/brother, not mother/father! LOL! Thanks for you insight.

Size alone will impress everybody (including you). The OKW were built roomier and more like apartments. We have never stayed in a GV but had a chance to tour one and WOW. We ended up adding on at OKW just to be sure we could access the GV there.

Barringer75 said:
Actually, my meaning of "in-laws" this time was sister/brother, not mother/father! LOL! Thanks for you insight.
In that case, they do NOT get the master! ;) Seriously, I love the GVs at OKW, and there is plenty of room so that you don't have to feel cramped and each family groupl can have their own room and space.

Put them at POP Century or All Stars for the first night. Then bring them over to a GV. If they don't get WOW'd by that, check them for a pulse!!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Have a great trip.
:wave: :wave: :wave:

mikesmom said:
Size alone will impress everybody (including you). The OKW were built roomier and more like apartments. We have never stayed in a GV but had a chance to tour one and WOW. We ended up adding on at OKW just to be sure we could access the GV there.

I have to agree here! DH & I took our parents...his mom & dad, my mom, dad & step dad, and DH's brother & my brother, his wife and my 1 y/o niece to OKW in 2003, we had a studio & a 2BR and they were all impressed with the size! We stayed right across the street from the Old turtle Pond Road bus stop, they were impressed with the proximity. And for DH's family it was their first trip to WDW and they were totally impressed with the whole experience...so much that we are taking them back this Dec to see WDW in all of it's Holiday splendor! This time we are staying at SSR, hopefully they won't be disappointed in the size of the studios there. That trip will just be DH &I and DMIL & DFIL. We are staying in 2 studios, so I think they will be fine. ( we are taking a trip in Sept with 14 of MY family members...we love to share the magic with our extended families, but then Aug '06 will be 12 nights for just DH & me!)

If an OKW GV doesn't WOW them, then they are simply unWOWable and should seek immediate medical attention.:earboy2: This would also qualify them to appear on Dr. Phil.

When we stayed there last June, we loved it!! We had previously taken our family for one night in a GV there--everyone was impressed, but we didn't have enough time that trip to enjoy the amenities.

They do have some children's activities--we were focused more on the parks, so we didn't participate much. I know that we got recorded calls several times from the youth staff, reminding us of some of the things going on--particularly fishing trips.

I agree with everyone else--If the OKW GV doesn't wow them, they are beyond hope.

I think it was last year or the year before whe we were at OKW during the summer, they had a beach party type thing every day at the main pool, from about 12-4PM. There was a DJ playing all sorts of "beachy" music...lots of Beach Boys and Jimmy Buffet. They had some little contests and stuff. I actually found it a bit loud and annoying, but the kids seemd to be loving it. I don't know if that is still going on though.

I have to tell you...we have stayed at or seen every style of every unit in every resort on WDW property, and the WOW factor of an OKW GV is beyond belief.

I agree that the OKW grande villa is a big WOW, but your in-laws MUST stay at All Stars or Pop Century for a night first! Did the grande villa with my mom and she b****ed the whole time about the stairs, no maid service, etc. She was never invited back, so that really gave her something to b**** about! Put the in-laws at All Stars before, and they couldn't say enough about OKW!! Of course, I have nice in-laws. :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter