True marathon distance at WDW

Mr_Incr3dible

50 miles at 55!
I've seen discussion online elsewhere and on our Dis forums about how far our GPS watches said we ran vs 26.2 miles.
First of all is the accuracy of our GPS watches. They are good, but not nearly precise enough to go griping to a race director that the race is 100 yards too long. There is also the aspect of running the tangents and how much of a difference it makes, which is what I was focused on.
Being an engineer and wondering about the numbers, I decided to investigate.

Process: I looked at the course map and put into Excel most of the turns in the marathon course. These range from the very tight turns winding through under-construction parts of Epcot to the on-ramps to the overpasses to the large sweepers and more medium size turns. I also assumed a standard road width of 12 feet, plus I used maps of Disney to get some of the turn radii.
Since I know you want to know, there are around 100 turns in the Marathon course. Some of them in the parks, particularly the Epcot construction areas are so tight that I discarded them as having little difference between running the tangents or not. So my raw data was 71 turns left and right.

My former running habit was to pick one side of the road or the other and stay there throughout the race instead of running apex to apex in the turns. The question is how many feet are saved over the course of the marathon by hitting the apexes (tangents)?
Of the 71 turns that were significant enough to discern and map, 38 of them were left turns and since the whole course is more or less counter-clockwise, I counted only the LH turns, with the assumption that for someone on the RH side of the road, they were already minimizing the distance for RH turns.
Ready for some numbers?
For one of the large 270-degree loops onto or off an overpass, staying on the outside of the road will add appx 75 feet!
For one of the large sweeper turns, about 20 feet.
For a 90-degree turn from one lane to the other, about 75 feet (this one I went out and measured in my neighborhood. Cutting that corner saves a lot.)
For the more medium size turns, I used a local traffic circle and figured on 1/4 turn of it. You save 23 feet.

My grand total over the course of the race: 1368 feet, or .26 of a mile!

Admittedly this is very imprecise vs staying on one side of the course and measuring with a measuring wheel, but the assumptions should even out from where corner distances are over/under assumed, plus this was on the conservative side by not counting some of short twisty-turns in the parks, especially Epcot and HS. So figure at least 1/4 mile you can save by hitting all the apexes at Disney. That is 2.5 minutes of extra time for a 10 min/mile pace.

FWIW, I hit nearly every tangent and my Garmin watch logged 26.28 miles for the full marathon. YMMV, but this is what I came up with.

Interesting anaylysis and thanks for taking the time to do it. At least with Everest closed you didn't have to back that mileage out! It was fun the year I chose to ride it to see how it impacted my pace and distance!

Would be curious if anyone here has been a race director or otherwise involved in the USTAF course certification process. I believe the marathon course is USTAF certified every year so one would think that they do the required course measurement for that. The USTAF actually has a whole manual on how a course has to be measured to be certified, but I don't know how exacting it is and how careful they are in checking that you measured correctly per the manual.

If your looking for distance recorded by the runners, here are the numbers I tracked with my Garmin Forerunner 945.
5k - 3.26 miles (+0.15)
10k - 6.33 miles (+0.11)
Half - 13.44 miles (+0.33)
Full - 26.67 miles (+0.45)

I guess I am not as efficient with my tangents.

I can also chalk it up to the many people who decided not to follow proper runner etiquette and walked 5 to 6 people across the road. All that weaving adds up.

Would be curious if anyone here has been a race director or otherwise involved in the USTAF course certification process. I believe the marathon course is USTAF certified every year so one would think that they do the required course measurement for that. The USTAF actually has a whole manual on how a course has to be measured to be certified, but I don't know how exacting it is and how careful they are in checking that you measured correctly per the manual.
Course measurers take it pretty seriously, and it is pretty exacting, with rounding being on the side of the course being slightly longer than certified. Here are the 2022 certifications as well as the procedures manual:

2022 WDW 5k Course: https://certifiedroadraces.com/certificate/?type=r&id=2694
2022 WDW 10k Course: https://certifiedroadraces.com/certificate/?type=r&id=2620
2022 WDW Half Marathon Course: https://certifiedroadraces.com/certificate/?type=r&id=2618
2022 WDW Marathon Course: https://certifiedroadraces.com/certificate/?type=r&id=2708

Course Procedures Manual: http://legacy.usatf.org/usatf/files/62/626ff37e-feed-4ec3-8c40-758ddda9af8a.pdf

DH is having the Lake Hartwell Dam Run Course re-certified next week. Note that courses have to be re-certified only every ten years if they don’t change. Of course, lately Disney courses have changed every year because of construction and changing the courses’ routes, but Disney could potentially have many currently certified courses to choose from in their pockets over the ten year period.

I average 26.75 at Disney marathons - lots of weaving, character photos, pit stops... and if it's crowded, I make no attempt to run the tangents, lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter