Trip to FW using I-81 fron Syracuse NY

Kodiak

Earning My Ears
I am planning a trip to FW and using I-81 from Syracuse NY up to Wytheville VA and then use I-77 to I-95.

How is the quality of I-81 ? Any travel plaza you recomend ?

Thanks

I-81 is a nice ride if the weather is good. If it's cold or rainy the hills south of Scranton Pa get icey ang foggy. In the winter I go to Allentown PA, then I-78 to 81 at Harrisburg. The mountains in VA never seem as bad as those in PA.

This is a much better ide than 95.

Taking 81 is pretty good all the way through NY, pennsylvania isn't the greatest though, lots of mountains and windy roads, but it is doable, just not my favorite drive. Been on that route dozens of time as it is the faster way to go for me. Question why are you taking 81 from Montreal? why not take 87 toward NYC and then cut across?

I live in wytheville and work at a hotel there. We have lots of people from your area that pass by on there way to florida. Always good comments on the drive down and back up. Interstate through our area is good. Traffic flows easily.

Thanks, the reason I go trough I-81 is I have to pick up spme friends in Ottawa , Ontario.

When are you traveling? If it is winter, also be careful of fog and snow just south of Syracuse.

We take 81 whenever we head south. We even take when we go to Norfolk, VA, so that we can avoid Washington DC and Baltimore. It is a beautiful drive.

We just used 84-81-77-26-95 to travel to WDW from ne CT. I found this route much less stressful than the DC-Richmond traffic parking lot. It took us about 24-25 hours, but the extra time was well worth the ease of travel. On the return trip ran into construction from Daytona to just south of Jacksonville, and again slowed down south of Savanna. Other than that it was smooth sailing.

Be careful coming past Harrisburg, PA. There is a lot of construction on the approach to the bridge over the Susquehanna River and it continues for a few miles up the highway in both directions. After that, you approach the Carlisle area, where the PA Turnpike interchange is located. Because of the design, if one wanted to leave 81 and catch the turnpike, one has to leave 81 and travel about a mile on route 11 to get to the turnpike. LOTS of trucks entering and leaving the highway here, and it seems there have been a severe increase in the number of accidents in the area usually involving a car and a semi getting in a fight.

There is a Flying J just off 81 at route 11 and they have a free station for dumping the holding tanks.

Jerry in PA

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest