Steve Dixon

Drink Up Me Hearties
Who: Me51 DW55 DS14 DS15

When: March 14 15 16

Last visit was March 2016

March 14

Departed Scottsdale AZ March 14 at 4am

Arrived Courtyard Marriott Theme Park Entrance at 1015am

Our room was not ready upon arrival so we pre checked in, gave the car to valet parking and the bags to bell service, and headed to the DL. A quick 8 minute walk. No line at security and no line at the gates. Scanned our ticket vouchers and we were in!

I scanned our park tickets into the Disneyland App. A quick check of the fastpass availability for the remainder of the day and we determined that we would go ahead and purchase Max Pass for the day.

We had late lunch ADR for LL at 245pm so decided to start stacking FP for DCA. Grabbed FP for IC and then headed to POC. Wait time 25 minutes but I think it took less than 20. My gosh what have they done to my beloved POC? I wants my red head back. The new octopus looks cheesy IMO…. put Hank where he belongs in FNSV. I did think the pirate in the basket effect was cool. The final Captain Jack in the treasure room did not seem to be working. No lip movement at all. Seemed oddly spooky.

The kids wanted to ride BTMRR. Wait time posted 50 minutes. More than I like to standby but looking at the options it seemed reasonable. Waited in standby for more than 90 minutes and it seemed like we would still be there for 30 minutes so we bailed. CM kept coming on the PA to say due to circumstances beyond our control your wait time may be longer than expected. OK, fine. The trains never stopped running so I have no idea what that meant. Upon getting out I looked back and saw that wait time posted was now 55 minutes. There’s no way as the standby and FP lines were now much longer than we arrived. Thought that was weird.

Grabbed a quick snack at Stagedoor. Use mobile ordering for the first time. How cool!

Headed to MH to try to sneak a quick ride in via single rider line. CM at the entrance informed us no additional single riders were being accepted at this time. Cool, headed to DCA.

Was happy to see Luxo was animated. Last I heard he wasn’t so that was a pleasant surprise.

Got to LL a little early for ADR. Probably waited 15 minutes to check in at podium, got our pager and waited. Right on time our pager blinked and we were sat in a booth in the main lounge area.

DS14 had the Piggy Wings and Infinity Fizz. Loved both.

DS15 was not that hungry so he had the Childs Slider and Infinity Fizz. Disappointed by the slider but loved the Fizz.

DW had the Child's Chicken and a Rum and Diet Coke. The server brought her just a glass or Rum which was odd. Once we mentioned it she was brought a side glass of Diet Coke. DW loved the Child's Chicken meal.

I had the Piggy Wings and a wonderful lager that I cannot remember the name of. Both were excellent.

We shared an order of lobster nachos that were wonderful as usual.

After our late lunch we hit GOTG with FastPass. Loved the new overlay and was pleasantly surprised that the ride fall itself has changed. We all thought it was much better and more thrilling.

Next off to IC with FP. The new overlay was better than expected but then again I didn’t have my expectations too high based upon what I had read.

By now it was time to get our room and take a break.

Got a lovely room at Courtyard Marriott Theme Park Entrance. DW and DS15 took a nap while DS14 and I headed to the hot tube for a soak.

Continued to stack FP and by now had FP for RSR, GOTG, IC, BTMRR.

Walked back to DCA about 630pm. Did our FP rides then to DL. Rode MH using single rider line. Took about 10 minutes. Then FP for BTMRR. What a view of SW:GE. They had all the effect lights on so it looked super cool. Not sure if that is normal or not. We rode again at night Saturday and did not see it lit up like that, just work lights.

The boys wanted to ride Splash so they headed to do that while DW and I rode POC and went to the Tropical Hideaway. I had a Bulgogi Beef Bao and DW had a pineapple spear. The Bao was excellent.

The boys met us and we headed home. After riding Splash twice they really weren’t that wet. Just one leg and one shoe. But they did say some on their boats got soaked.

March 15

Wake up 615 am and out the door by 645am for 8am RD at DL. No line at security and at the gate by 7am.

First in line. Gates unlocked about 740am. Scanned out tickets but held at the turnstiles. I was able to purchase MaxPass and make our first FP selection before the countdown even began. FP for Space return time 900am. Allowed in about 735am. Headed to Adventureland. Held at rope until 8am.

Rode Indy, POC, HM and BTMRR all walk on.

Rode Space by FP.

Monorail to DTD and ate breakfast at Jazz Kitchen Express. By now it is about 1100am.

Walked through DTD to DL gates. BIG mistake. Huge lines for the gates at both parks. Moved faster than expected we were in, about 10 minutes.

Road Indy FP. Rode Splash FP. DS14 and I rode Splash again via single rider. Lucked out and rode next to each other on same boat.

Back to the hotel for some break time.

Headed back to DCA about 430pm.

Rode GOTG FP and IC FP.

DW and I had ADR for CC so we headed there early to enjoy the lounge.

The boys used FP for IC a couple of times. Went to dinner at Smokejumpers. Rode Ariels. Tried to ride Soarin FP but it broke right as they were seated.

CC lounge was wonderful. I had the Carthay Martini. The bartender apologized that the device they use to make the sphere ice cubes was not working. They had some premade so that was fine. The nice thing is I had two more and told him I could reuse my sphere. It said great as we only have a few. He made them with the high end ingredients but only charged me for a standard martini after that. I thought that was nice. DW drank Rum and Diet. Huge pour.

We had a great conversation with the bartender. He was super nice. He asked us if we were going to WOC. I told him no as I forgot to get FP earlier in the day. When he found out that we had never seen it he disappeared for 10 minutes. When he got back he handed me four fastpasses to the dinner package area. WOW. I thanked him profusely and left a generous tip. Probably my best Pixie Dust moment ever!

DW and I checked in for our CC dinner reservation. We were seated in the main dining room under the dome with the SW fresco. Our server was wonderful. We shared the fried biscuits and duck wings. DW had the catch of the day which was sturgeon served over a clam ragout. I had the lamb pasta based upon our bartenders recommendation. Both dishes were wonderful. We split a desert that at the time I know I enjoyed but after 5 martinis I cannot recall what it was.

We met our boys at the specified time and place and told them we had a special treat. WOC FP! We headed to the area about 930pm and found a great place at the top of the stairs. Everyone had a great view of the show. I cannot believe in all these years I never say WOC. We loved it!

After the show we headed back to hotel for as much sleep as possible. Saturday would be early entry and our last day.

March 15

Alarm rings at 500am asked family if we are going for Early Entry. Wife says no way. The boys grunted something so I reset alarm for 545am. At 545am got the boys up and we were out the door in 5 minutes. Wife said she’d get up and try to meet us at the gate. Walked to the parks, no line at security and first at the DL gates again. DW shows up at 655am as the gates were unlocked. Scanned out tickets but held at the turnstiles. I was able to purchase MaxPass and make our first FP selection before the countdown even began. FP for Space return time 835am. Allowed in right at 700am.

Brisk walk to Tomorrowland.

First train of the day at Space. Rode it again right after the first ride. Then MH, 10 min wait. FNSV walk on. ST walk on. Buzz 5 min wait. SM FP. A quick ride on ST with a 10 min wait.

Monorail to DTD for breakfast using 1000am ADR at Steakhouse 55.

Another terrific meal. I had the Serrano Ham Benedict. DW had the 3 egg omelet. Both the boys had the NY Strip and eggs. We all loved our meals. A quick walk around the DLH and back to the Monorail.

Rode Space by FP. ST by FP. Buzz standy about a 15 min wait.

Returned to the hotel for a break around 1pm.

At this point Saturday FP availability was starting to get thin.

The boys and I returned to DCA around 3pm. It was PACKED! A CM told me they were at 96 to 98 percent capacity that afternoon. We rode GOTG by FP and it took a good 15 minutes to make into an office. Then we rode IC by fastpass. I rode with a single rider who told me she waited nearly 30 min to ride single. The standby was 65 minutes I think.

We felt crushed in DCA so headed to DL. DW called and said she was on her way from hotel and we decided to meet at BTMRR to use a FP. The boys and I stopped off at the holiday boutique to buy some Xmas tree ornaments. It’s a family tradition for us to take home at least one ornament on every family trip we take. DS14 chose a cute “crystal” Mickey ears with DLR logo on it, DS15 chose an Oogly Boogly, I chose a small version of the Walt and Mickey statue. They had a special buy 3 and they are $20 each. The holiday boutique is a hidden escape spot. With the walls up around the castle no knows it’s there unless you are looking for it. We had the space to ourselves and the AC was pumping out nice and cool.

Found DW at BTMRR and rode with FP. Rode POC standby. Rode JC standby. Then off to RBT our Fantasmic Dining Package with Premium seating. We waited a little bit but our feet needed a rest. We found a spot along the wall. To our surprise they started seating folks at 730pm. We were seated at one of the best tables along the railing right at the entrance to POC. We could not have requested a better spot. Dinner service was excellent and efficient. Drink refills came before your glass was empty. I had the house salad and beef brisket sandwich with tater tots and substituted the beans for coleslaw. DW had the house salad and the fish of the day which was char. DS14 had the house salad and pulled pork sandwich with double order tater tots. DS15 had the corn chowder and the half chicken. We all loved our meals. For desert we all had the Maleficent Dragon. I was the only one that loved it the others were kinda, ehh.

F! Was great. The view was superb. But I heard comments from people around us that they were less than pleased. These were the tables along the rail but behind us wrapping towards the treehouse. And those that were not at the railing. We offered several tables with small children if they wanted to move their seats near us to see better but no one took us up on it. I have to say that we loved seeing F! From RBT but it would be disappointing to pay all that money to get poor table. It’s gamble and I knew it when I made the ADR but it paid off for us.

After F! They did allow us to stay seated for MMM with fireworks. They play the projections for MMM on ROA. Enjoyed it but I certainly would not have gone out of my way to see it and the boys were ready to hit the rides about halfway through MMM.

Kissed DW goodnight, she had enough. The boys and I headed to HM FP, POC standby, Indy FP and called it a night.

March 17

Up at 830am. Packed the suitcases. Called for Valet and Bell service and checked out. All went very smoothly and efficiently.

Hit the road home about 1030am

The Good = The Bad = The Ugly

The Good:

-Courtyard Marriott Theme Park Entrance. Loved it. Four Beds, two showers, water park, indoor hallways, 8 minutes to security. The price is a little higher but with teenagers refusing to share a bed having the bunk beds saved us from a suite or two rooms so keep that in mind when comparing prices.

-The DL app. Don’t leave home without it. What a huge logistics tool.

-MaxPass. Yes it is expensive at $60 per day for a family of four but I bet if you ran the numbers it more than pays for itself if you use it effectively.

-CC dinner. We loved it and thought it was worth high price. Probably would not have been worth it if I was not able to relax and enjoy the experience sans kids.

-Our bartender at CC lounge and his Disney Magic FP for WOC and WOC itself

-RBT Premium Table for F!

-GOTG, love the new experience

-Star Tours, we saw all new clips on each ride this time. Including ending by landing at Batuu and the Black Spire Outpost.

-Breakfast at Steakhouse 55

-Tropical Hideaway, the best use of that space since Tahitian Terrace closed. (Bring back Tahitian Terrace PLEASE)

The Bad:

-The new redhead in POC

-The Hank looking octopus in POC

-Food and Wine Fest, just not our thing and really caused a lot of congestion

-While I loved DL app and MP in particular it did glitch several times. One time telling me there were no more FP left for the day. Then about 30 minutes later hey tons of FP available at DL with only Space sold out. If they are charging $15 per person per day that thing should be bulletproof.

-Where are all the photographers? Don’t put free photopass as a perk for MaxPass, then get rid of nearly all the photographers!

The Ugly

-Seeing maintenance workers out in the open. Painters painting on MS with no scrim or walls up. Active painting of Astro Orbiter in plain sight above the walls. Ugly tarps in the Splash train tunnel visible from the Splash boats. Landscapers picking weeds. I know these things need to be done but it always seems to me that in the past these activities were kept away from the eyes of guests.

-Buzz. I know there have been much discussed issues with scores and ride photos but I was absolutely taken back by the condition of the ride vehicles. My gosh they reminded me of department store horsey rides from the 1970s. So much warn off paint. I found it inexcusably ugly and tacky. Very un-Disney-like.

-While we encountered many wonderful CMs during our trip we also encountered some CMs that seemed to care less about being there. The types you’d find slinging big gulps at a 7-11 somewhere. There is definitely inconsistency in hiring and training of CMs.

-The fastpass system with the scanners has some serious loopholes. We witnessed many times where a line up started at the scanners. Some people waited for the CMs to get distracted and literally bull their way past undetected and without scanning.

Last edited:
Great trip report! Thanks for sharing. It sounds like you had a wonderful time with your family.
One question: I’m usually pretty good with the abbreviations, but I’ve been racking my brains trying to figure out which ride in Tomorrowland is MM? I’m probably missing the obvious...

Thanks we really did have a great time.
LOL.
Matterhorn Mountain.
Maybe that's not the right abbreviation.

I was also wondering what MM was--maybe you meant Matterhorn since it's near Tomorrowland (MH?).

Great trip report! Sounds like an awesome time.

I'm also super impressed you were able to take down 5 martinis. I don't blame you ... they are delicious! :drinking1

Lol. I have a hollow leg....not to mention I am 6 feet 5 inches and 275 pounds.

My DW had one rum and diet....I thought I might need to carry her home.

I didn't mention that during our break I had a few beers then 2 more at DCA before dinner. After dinner 3 more for woc.

Hmmmm. Maybe I have a problem? Nah it was vacation

Great review! We were there around the same time, and also noticed DCA seemed more crowded than usual.

Totally agree about the changes on pirates - although the kids did seem to like the octopus, I think he'd be better suited with Nemo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!