• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Transportation "Shortcuts"

dkutner

Earning My Ears
I thought I saw a thread on this board the other day (but it may have been the Disability board) that gave great suggestions for the best, easiest or quickest ways to get from Ft. Wilderness to the various parks and back. Now of course I can't find that thread.

Looking for suggestions: I'm driving a Camper Van. I just got the reservations so was thrilled to get any site, but it will be a standard one. Apparently that means I will be in loop 1500 or 2000.

I'm bringing 2 young adults who both have minor cognitive disabilities, one also has some physical limitations, but not for walking. She cannot ride a bike and I don't think I can foot the bill for a golf cart for 4 days. So, I'm looking for the best routes to and from Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, MGM and Epcot. We will spend most of our time in the parks, not on the campsite.

It will be possible to disconnect the camper van and drive it around, but I don't want to unless it is really worth the trouble.

Also, when I arrive should I try to ask for an upgraded site (paying the difference) closer to transportation, or is that not worth trying?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I think you'll be just fine without using your van, or getting a cart. And you don't need to get a preferred site to be close to the transportation. Each loop, or grouping of loops has a bus stop. In almost all cases, you'll pick up a bus to either the front or back of the campground to catch a bus or boat to what ever park you want to go to. The Magic Kingdom is easiest by boat. for that, you take a bus going to the Settlement Depot and Pioneer Hall. Get off there and take the sidewalk past Pioneer hall toward the water. Catch the boat from the dock.

You also catch the buses to some other parks from right there also. I think it is Blizzard Beach and Animal Kingdom. All the rest pick you up at the Outpost which is near where you check in out in the front of the campground. When you first check in, they will give you a transportation map. They also have well laid out maps and descriptions at each loop's bus stop. Take the time to look them over and you shouldn't have any problems.

Have fun!

That sounds good. Some of what I've read makes it sound like a very long trek to get where you want, or lengthy waits for the buses. You sound a lot more positive.

We'll have fun, no matter what!

One more quick question: How much food are you allowed to carry in to the parks. I know that water bottles and granola bars are probably acceptable, but what about sandwiches, chips (like a whole lunch?)

The wait depends on how you catch the bus. They run the busses on 15 minute schedules there.

We have carried food in with our backpacks almost every trip. We have never had a problem. We were worried the first time after they started hand checking your bags as you come in, but they saw the food and never have cared. No big hard coolers though.:D

The wait is different each time for a bus. We have waited only seconds when we time it right, but have watched 3 busses go the other way before we caught one going our way. But it is still the easiest way to get around. Especially in your case. You may want to call CRO and ask for a site near the front of your because of your situation. They would probably accomodate that request very easily.

Thanks, that's a big help to know. I don't plan on bringing in a 5 course meal, but knowing that a sandwich will get by the seach is helpful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter