Transferring Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits to Dependents.

DawnCt1

<font color=red>I had to wonder what "holiday" he
Has anyone been successful in transferring their post 9/11 GI Bill Educational benefits to their dependents? DH applied for the educational benefits about 45 days ago. We haven't heard. My brother applied at the end of August, he did hear and he was approved for benefits but hasn't been able to contact the right sources, apparently it gets transferred to the Dept. of the Army, to transfer them to his son. That is our goal. Has anyone been successful yet? I have heard that the VA is so far behind in doling out educational benefits that some returning GIs are losing their homes and unable to pay their rent while they are waiting.

They are having a very large back log right now due to the large volume of applicants. I applied in May and got my approval in July so you don't have too much longer to wait. There was also a delay in the living expense payments, I got mine 1 October.

I haven't heard about anyone transfering benifits yet the only thing I kmow is that only those currently on Active Duty can transfer the benifits.

Active duty navy here. According to the offical military release, Being able to transfer the benifit to dependant or spouse is based upon the number of years served and the amount of time you are willing to extend your service for (unless you served greater than 20 years). In Kings Bay, Ga. the approval time is about a week. We just go to the Navy college office and they explain the process and tell you what to fill out.

Michael

So, you can now apply any unused GI educational benefits to dependents while still alive? That's a sweet deal! I used educational benefits under the GI bill back in the 80's when I was younger but my father died while on active duty when I was 12.

What are the rules? Do you have to be retired? Or just a veteran? My BIL is a vet and his oldest DD is in HS.

Here are some simple basic answers about this. I've asked a million questions and still waitiing on alot of answers. A friend's husband wants to try to divy up his GI Bill between his 5 kids but supposedly he would have to stay for 3 years per transfer and he already has 12 years in! Heck we are already listed as indef anyways so I don't know if we would have to stay an extra 3 in addition to the "indef" period.

http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_Info/CH33/Transfer.htm

http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_Info/CH33/Post-911.htm

The IAVA has also set up a great resource on the New Gi Bill.

http://NewGIBill.org

Also I understand that the VA will be launching an interactive website next month to assist with any claims you may have.

Dawn is your DH AD? You must be AD to transfer benefits.

DH (15 + yrs AD AF) has transferred 35 months to DD(13) for her to use when she graduates and 1 month to me. The way it works now once DH retires, 3 months before DD graduates HS, he can not add a dependent to transfer benefits to. So if DD was to get a full ride or go to the Academy then I could never use the benefits, however since I am already getting 1 month he can later transfer the remaining months to me and conversely if DD does use the GI Bill then he will transfer my 1 month to her.

Make sense?

Here are some simple basic answers about this. I've asked a million questions and still waitiing on alot of answers. A friend's husband wants to try to divy up his GI Bill between his 5 kids but supposedly he would have to stay for 3 years per transfer and he already has 12 years in! Heck we are already listed as indef anyways so I don't know if we would have to stay an extra 3 in addition to the "indef" period.

http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_Info/CH33/Transfer.htm

http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_Info/CH33/Post-911.htm

Tina,

I wonder if your Friend got bad info, I have never heard that the service commitment is per transfer...it was not for DH.

Dawn is your DH AD? You must be AD to transfer benefits.

DH (15 + yrs AD AF) has transferred 35 months to DD(13) for her to use when she graduates and 1 month to me. The way it works now once DH retires, 3 months before DD graduates HS, he can not add a dependent to transfer benefits to. So if DD was to get a full ride or go to the Academy then I could never use the benefits, however since I am already getting 1 month he can later transfer the remaining months to me and conversely if DD does use the GI Bill then he will transfer my 1 month to her.

Make sense?

DH is approaching 30 years in the Army Reserves and has been deployed twice since 9/11 so he is eligible. This is from the VA web site.

Who is eligible for benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill?
Eligible individuals include those who serve on active duty at least 90 aggregate days beginning on or after
September 11, 2001,
or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days of
continuous service. (Discharged individuals must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible, or
have a discharge or release for a medical condition Existing Prior to Service (EPTS), Hardship (HDSP), or
Condition Interfering with Duty (CIWD).

Dawn,

Thanks for the clarification, for some reason I was thinking your DH was retired.

As I said for my DH it was an easy process and fortuntely we have plenty of time for the VA to learn to administer the program.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter