Traffic question for people local to DL

ponyboy

baseball, baseball, baseball
So my son and I are flying to Australia through LAX with a layover from 8:30am till 10:30pm. I was thinking about taking him to Disneyland that day. It's December 20th so I know it's going to be packed but I think we'll still have a good time. If I do this I'm going to surprise him with it.

Anyway, my question is.....we need to be back at LAX by 7:00. If we leave at 5:00 that afternoon will we have trouble making it back in time? I've never been to LA so I have no idea how bad the traffic can be during that time. We're in Dallas and I know how bad traffic can be here and I've heard yall's is worse.

Thanks for any insight or information you can provide.

not a local, but I think that should work. you can check Google maps and it will get you typical travel times for whatever time frame your looking at. you can also check Google or Waze app while your there to get an update in case you need to adjust your departure time. right now 5 pm local time Google has it 60-70 minutes on three different routes.

that being said, travel times can change drastically in an instant. one good thing about LA is that there is a web of freeways so there is usually an alternate route.

To make the most of your precious time at DLR, download the Disneyland app (free) now and start getting used to using it. You can get used to the maps (lands layout, ride and landmark locations, etc.). You'll be able to see the wait times and FP availability and return times so that you can start getting a feel for how things might be when you get to the parks. You can buy your tickets ahead on the app so that you'll be able to skip the ticket booths (waste of time when you have so little of it!) and go straight to the gates. Have a credit card loaded on the app so that you'll be able to buy MaxPass right after you activate your tickets at the gate (if you plan on purchasing this -- free FP will work, too, if you don't want to purchase MP -- you might want to read up on this before deciding). Having a credit card on file also will allow you to use Mobile Ordering on the app at CS locations __ a huge time saver when the parks are crowded! Have a great day in the parks!

not a local, but I think that should work. you can check Google maps and it will get you typical travel times for whatever time frame your looking at. you can also check Google or Waze app while your there to get an update in case you need to adjust your departure time. right now 5 pm local time Google has it 60-70 minutes on three different routes.

that being said, travel times can change drastically in an instant. one good thing about LA is that there is a web of freeways so there is usually an alternate route.

Ok, cool. I didn't realize maps would give you estimates for different time frames. We'll probably use Uber to get around so I'll let them figure out the fastest way. Thanks!

To make the most of your precious time at DLR, download the Disneyland app (free) now and start getting used to using it. You can get used to the maps (lands layout, ride and landmark locations, etc.). You'll be able to see the wait times and FP availability and return times so that you can start getting a feel for how things might be when you get to the parks. You can buy your tickets ahead on the app so that you'll be able to skip the ticket booths (waste of time when you have so little of it!) and go straight to the gates. Have a credit card loaded on the app so that you'll be able to buy MaxPass right after you activate your tickets at the gate (if you plan on purchasing this -- free FP will work, too, if you don't want to purchase MP -- you might want to read up on this before deciding). Having a credit card on file also will allow you to use Mobile Ordering on the app at CS locations __ a huge time saver when the parks are crowded! Have a great day in the parks!

I was planning on using the app. We've been to DW several times and I used it a lot there. Good idea about buying the tickets on there though, I didn't think of that.

I'll have to read up on MaxPass. We've always stayed on site at DW so this will be my first time to just show up and buy a ticket to go.

Thanks for the tips!

Yeah, it will be bad at that time, but the traffic is always highly dependent on accidents along the route, which is completely unpredictable. Still, 2 hours should be enough time regardless of what the traffic situation is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter