TR: And now for something completely different - a WDW Family did DLR *(new - 4/15: HK Disneyland)*

TheMaxRebo

DIS Veteran
Chapter 1: Introduction

Title%20image.jpg

Welcome everyone!

As the title of this trip report suggests, this trip was the first for our family to the original park – the one Walt built and walked in, but we are veterans of Walt Disney World.

We just got back from a week in California and was anxious to get this trip report started. We had a great time – though not without a few hiccups. I did consider some other titles, including:

• There has to be an easier way to travel with 3 car seats
  • Riding luggage is a new Olympic sport
  • All aboard the suitcase express!
  • We have double brunch coming up today and you are currently eating cookies? This really is vacation!
  • This place is dangerous – there are too many things I want to drink!
  • Well, at least one of our kids is fine, physically speaking
  • If this is a crowd level 4 I don't what to see what a 10 looks like!
But in the end I decided to go with a very similar title to what I used for my pre-trip report … largely because then I can reuse this gif:
And%20Now%20For%20Something%20Completely%20Different%20with%20Mickey%20foot_1.gif

Speaking of the pre-trip report, it can be found here if you want to read up on how this trip came to be and how the planning went for someone used to booking a Walt Disney World Trip (i.e., I was ready with my spreadsheets way earlier than dining booking at Disneyland opened up).

Below are the details of the trip and a brief background as to how it came to be for those that don't wish to read the entire pre-trip report:

Dates: October 10-17 (with a day on either end for travel to the in-laws)

Locations:

• Part 1: San Diego (Oct 10-13) – staying at Embassy Suites in La Jolla (which, for the record, is pronounced La Hoya, not La Joe-la .... we had to go to Youtube to confirm that)
  • Part 2: Disneyland (Oct 13-17) – staying at Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground

Reason for trip/how it came to be:

We typically do a trip to Walt Disney World every other year but wound up doing one in back-to back years (actually within about 10 months) and so Judi (my wife, you'll meet her in a future post) though maybe it was time for a break from there. But I then found a loop-hole: Disneyland isn't in Disney World! Plus, I included that we could spend a few days in San Diego to meet one of her friends, and she was in! (To be honest, didn't really take much convincing)

So that, plus the 60th anniversary events had me intrigued - I was pretty well sold when Kevin on the DIS Unplugged Podcast commented "If you were ever thinking of visiting Disneyland, this is the year to do it!"

So now that we had "where" we were going, we needed to determine when. I do all I can to avoid the high crowd levels so given that, summer was pretty much out. In the past we have gone to Walt Disney World in October around Columbus Day which has worked out well as weather is a bit cooler, crowds are a bit lower, and it is Food & Wine Festival season. Now, Disneyland doesn't have F&WF, but figured the first two still applied, so we went with that.

One hesitation I had was that this would require taking Olivia (you'll also meet her soon) out of school. She is in first grade and while not junior year of high school or anything, is still our first time taking one of our children our of "real school" and I wasn't sure how her teacher would react. Fortunately she was totally on board and basically said that Olivia is doing great and to have fun. (side note, She didn't give us any work to have Olivia to do while we were gone, but Olivia now has extra work to make up now that she is back – but still not too bad)

I will cover details and reviews of the hotels selected and other details as we get to them, but I think this covers most of the basics about the trip. So if you enjoy fun family fun with lots of food and drinks and characters and animated gifs – then I encourage you to read on!

Or, as Walt would say: "To all who come to this happy place: Welcome."

Family%20pic.jpg

TTFN

Last edited:
Table of Contents

Setting the Stage:
- Chapter 1: Introduction ... post #1
- Chapter 2: Table of Contents ... post #2
- Chapter 3: Meet the Team ... post #3

Travel Day(s): October 9/10
- Chapter 4: Sorry officer ... post #32
- Chapter 5: There has to be an easier way to travel with 3 car seats! ... post #33
- Chapter 6: Luggage Riding as an Olympic Sport! ... post #54
- Chapter 7: Animal Style for the Win! ... post #55

San Diego Day 1: October 11
- Chapter 8: First brunch, first beach ... post #72
- Chapter 9: Second brunch, second beach ... post #83
- Chapter 10: Gas Lamp Dinner ... post #94

San Diego Day 2: October 12:
- Chapter 11: The (other) San Diego Zoo - I ain't Lion ;o) ... post #95
- Chapter 12: The actual Safari part of the Safari Park ... post #114
- Chapter 13: Gorillas, and tigers, and carousels, oh my! ... post #115
- Chapter 14: Stone Brewing ... post #116

San Diego Day 3/Travel/Disneyland:
- Chapter 15: San Clemente and Pizza Port ... post #128
- Chapter 16: San Diego Video ... post #129
- Chapter 17: We have arrived! ... post #139
- Chapter 18: Why yes, we do want the souvenir mug! ... post #147
- Chapter 19: Legos and Peter sleeps though a meet-up ... post #161

Disneyland - Day 1:
- Chapter 20: The feels! And tons of characters! ... post #162
- Chapter 21: Free Churros are the Best Churros! ... post #181
- Chapter 22: Olivia makes the right call ... post #182
- Chapter 23: Um, someone is missing ... post #194
- Chapter 24: Olivia rides some rides ... post #213
- Chapter 25: Ride and meet some Cars ... post #214
- Chapter 26: We do some California Screamin'! ... post #215
- Chapter 27: 2 for the price of 1! ... post #233

Disneyland - Day 2 - Part I:
- Chapter 28: But first let's take a photopass! ... post #235
- Chapter 29: A whale watcher in the family ... post #249
- Chapter 30: A trip to Toontown! ... post #250
- Chapter 31: The major of the bayou ... post #275
- Chapter 32: Dessert and we have a blast! ... post #276

Intermission:
- Chapter 33: Upcoming Trip information ... post #289

Disneyland - Day 2 - Part II:
- Chapter 34: Lot's of parade fun! ... post #298
- Chapter 35: More parade fun! ... post #299
- Chapter 36: Peek a boo! ... post #300
- Chapter 37: Ride the Rail(s) ... post #322
- Chapter 38: Amazing nighttime entertainment! ... post #323

Disneyland - Day 3:
- Chapter 39: Kidnap the Sandy Claws! ... post #340
- Chapter 40: It's Satisfactual! ... post #341
- Chapter 41: Who's the leader of the band? ... post #354
- Chapter 42: A messy lunch experience ... post #373
- Chapter 43: Ride the rapids and climb some rocks ... post #374
- Chapter 44: A trip to the nurse's office ... post #375
- Chapter 45: It's not you, it's me ... well, it might be some of you too ... post #399
- Chapter 46: Pictures with Walt - and a ride with Mater ... post #400
- Chapter 47: World of Color - and all the related Disney Feels ... post #401

Disneyland - Day 4 and travel home:
- Chapter 48: Last bit of Disney fun ... post #411

Final Thoughts:
- Chapter 49: Trip video! ... post #422
- Chapter 50: General thoughts I ... post #452
- Chapter 51: General thoughts II ... post #460
- Chapter 52: General thoughts III ... post #467
- Chapter 53: Comparing Disneyland to Walt Disney World ... post #476

Bonus:
- Chapter 54: Initial Hong Kong Disneyland Thoughts ... post #496

Last edited:
Chapter 3 - Meet the team

As this was our first trip to Disneyland I can't really share direct backgrounds related to that - so will cover more hour history with Disney in general and Walt Disney World in particular - plus fun to look back at pictures from when we were all younger.

First, allow myself to introduce … myself. I'm Phil, and, well, I like Disney. I have especially found myself drawn to this history of the parks and of Imagineering and just the technology behind everything. Growing up, we went to Florida every 3 years or so to see family and visit Walt Disney World – though I think my true love of the parks and of Disney developed when I became an adult

Judi, is clearly my better half, and she grew up going also going to Florida to see family (don't worry, not the same family) and actually spent a few summers living with her Grandmother in Boca. I've drawn her more into Disney and the Disney community - but she definitely enjoys our time as a family there.

We met in college and when we were dating we went to Florida with friends on a road trip and one of the highlights was our time at Pleasure Island – when it was truly an island you needed a ticket to get onto and had parties in the streets, etc., and we spent a lot of time in the Adventurer's Club – definitely our vibe.

We would visit a few more times as adults but really got into it once our first born, Olivia, was, well, born. Our first trip with her was in October of 2009 when she was 8 months old, and she has been 4 times in total. Olivia is our spunky, intelligent, strong willed, princess loving first born! She loves roller coasters but not stories with conflicts. As mentioned, big fan of princesses, and also of this little known Disney movie that came out a little while ago, you probably haven't heard of it as practically no merchandise available for it - but it's called Frozen.

Our middle child is Peter who is silly and funny, and wakes up from naps cranky and loves anything that moves - particularly trains and monorails. His first exposure to the parks was in October of 2011 when Judi was 7+ months pregnant with him but his first real trip was in October of 2013. For our August 2014 trip we stayed at the Contemporary and he was blown away that we were staying in the hotel that the monorail went through - we wound up doing laps on the monorail as he just loved it.

Our most recent addition is Emma who was only one month old her first trip to WDW last August (part of the reason for the trip was to show Emma off to Judi's grandmother in Boca). While she probably doesn't remember much of that trip, we got some great character interraction and some fun pictures. She was just about 15 months old this most recent trip and is very active. She is a sweet heart and very into figuring things out (she figured out how to undo her car seat buckle at < 10 months old much to our dismay). She very much lives up to our nickname for her of boogity

Here are a few pictures of us from our past trips to give some background, break up this text heavy post, and show off how the kids have grown.

First up is our trip from October 2009 which was highlighted by meeting Andrew Zimmern and date night at California Grill (Judi's mom had come with us and watched Olivia). Plus it started the trend of getting pictures of Olivia after Snow White gives her a kiss:

2009%20Oct%20Judi%20and%20Phil%20and%20Andrew%20Z.jpg
2009%20Oct%20Judi%20and%20Phil.jpg

2009%20Oct%20Olivia%20with%20kiss.jpg
2009%20Oct%20Olivia%20with%20ears.jpg

Then 2 years later (Oct 2011) - more Food & Wine Festival fun and Olivia did great with the characters - and Judi being so pregnant was an expert at knowing where all the bathrooms where:

2011%20Oct%20Phil%20Judi%20amp%20Olivia.jpg
2011%20Oct%20Olivia%20with%20kiss.jpg

2011%20Oct%20Olivia%20with%20Pooh.jpg
2011%20Oct%20Phil%20amp%20Judi.jpg
2011%20Oct%20Peter%20and%20Woody.jpg
(Woody listing to Peter)

Then October 2013 (see the pattern). First time Olivia was able to go on some of the "big" rides and we celebrated our 10th anniversary at Victoria and Albert's. The last picture is from that meal with the harpist who was playing that night and happened to play our wedding song (the Luckiest, by Ben Folds)

2013%20Oct%20Judi%20at%20wine%20tasting.jpg
2013%20Octo%20Olivia%20with%20car.jpg
2013%20Oct%20Peter.jpg

2013%20Oct%20Olivia%20and%20Naveen.jpg
2013%20Oct%20Phil%20Judi%20Olivia%20on%20Splash.jpg
2013%20Oct%20Peter%20at%20table.jpg
2013%20Oct%20Judi%20and%20Phil%20amp%20harpist.jpg

And finally August 2014 - where we survived the heat and appreciated being on a monorail resort for the first time.
2014%20Aug%20Judi%20and%20Emma%20and%20Minnie.jpg
2014%20Aug%20Emma%20and%20Olivia.jpg
2014%20Aug%20kids.jpg

2014%20Aug%20Peter.jpg
2014%20Aug%20Phil%20and%20Peter.jpg
2014%20Aug%20Phil.jpg

Thank you for indulging me on that trip down memory lane. Coming up - everyone's favorite update: Travel day!

TTFN

Last edited:
Yahoo!!! I love your intro posts and all the awesome photos. The ones of this kids when they were little are super cool. And of course the Diamond Celebration photo with your appropriately colored tie dye shirts is beyond cool. Great job!

I love the Splash Mountain photo, and of course the one with Snow White and Olivia too. So cool. Really looking forward to following along with your TR and seeing the perspective of DL from another WDW veteran :cool1:

Joining in! Can't wait to hear all about your trip to DL and i will be taking detailed notes!

Part 1: Introduction

Title%20image.jpg

Welcome everyone!

As the title of this trip report suggests, this trip was the first for our family to the original park – the one Walt built and walked in, but we are veterans of Walt Disney World.

We just got back from a week in California and was anxious to get this trip report started. We had a great time – though not without a few hiccups. I did consider some other titles, including:

• We have double brunch coming up today and you are currently eating cookies? This really is vacation!
But in the end I decided to go with a very similar title to what I used for my pre-trip report … largely because then I can reuse this gif:
And%20Now%20For%20Something%20Completely%20Different%20with%20Mickey%20foot_1.gif

Speaking of the pre-trip report, it can be found here if you want to read up on how this trip came to be and how the planning went for someone used to booking a Walt Disney World Trip (i.e., I was ready with my spreadsheets way earlier than dining booking at Disneyland opened up).

Below are the details of the trip and a brief background as to how it came to be for those that don't wish to read the entire pre-trip report:

Locations:

• Part 1: San Diego (Oct 10-13) – staying at Embassy Suites in La Jolla (which, for the record, is pronounced La Hoya, not La Joe-la .... we had to go to Youtube to confirm that)
  • Part 2: Disneyland (Oct 13-17) – staying at Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground

We typically do a trip to Walt Disney World every other year but wound up doing one in back-to back years (actually within about 10 months) and so Judi (my wife, you'll meet her in a future post) though maybe it was time for a break from there. But I then found a loop-hole: Disneyland isn't in Disney World! Plus, I included that we could spend a few days in San Diego to meet one of her friends, and she was in! (To be honest, didn't really take much convincing)

So that, plus the 60th anniversary events had me intrigued - I was pretty well sold when Kevin on the DIS Unplugged Podcast commented "If you were ever thinking of visiting Disneyland, this is the year to do it!"

So now that we had "where" we were going, we needed to determine when. I do all I can to avoid the high crowd levels so given that, summer was pretty much out. In the past we have gone to Walt Disney World in October around Columbus Day which has worked out well as weather is a bit cooler, crowds are a bit lower, and it is Food & Wine Festival season. Now, Disneyland doesn't have F&WF, but figured the first two still applied, so we went with that.

One hesitation I had was that this would require taking Olivia (you'll also meet her soon) out of school. She is in first grade and while not junior year of high school or anything, is still our first time taking one of our children our of "real school" and I wasn't sure how her teacher would react. Fortunately she was totally on board and basically said that Olivia is doing great and to have fun. (side note, She didn't give us any work to have Olivia to do while we were gone, but Olivia now has extra work to make up now that she is back – but still not too bad)

I will cover details and reviews of the hotels selected and other details as we get to them, but I think this covers most of the basics about the trip. So if you enjoy fun family fun with lots of food and drinks and characters and animated gifs – then I encourage you to read on!

Family%20pic.jpg

TTFN
Woo hoo I am here! Been waiting- thanks for the head's up!!

Part 1: Introduction

Title%20image.jpg

Welcome everyone!

Locations:

Family%20pic.jpg

TTFN
Ok I actually read the first post now-

Love the alternate titles. The kids are so much bigger since the last trip- great family picture. And we are back on for November and also pulling a first grader out of real school for the first time. I mentioned it at conferences last week and held my breath expecting judging but the teacher was fine about it. Phew!

Part 3 - Meet the team

As this was our first trip to Disneyland I can't really share direct backgrounds related to that - so will cover more hour history with Disney in general and Walt Disney World in particular - plus fun to look back at pictures from when we were all younger.

First, allow myself to introduce … myself. I'm Phil, and, well, I like Disney. I have especially found myself drawn to this history of the parks and of Imagineering and just the technology behind everything. Growing up, we went to Florida every 3 years or so to see family and visit Walt Disney World – though I think my true love of the parks and of Disney developed when I became an adult

Judi, is clearly my better half, and she grew up going also going to Florida to see family (don't worry, not the same family) and actually spent a few summers living with her Grandmother in Boca. I've drawn her more into Disney and the Disney community - but she definitely enjoys our time as a family there.

We met in college and when we were dating we went to Florida with friends on a road trip and one of the highlights was our time at Pleasure Island – when it was truly an island you needed a ticket to get onto and had parties in the streets, etc., and we spent a lot of time in the Adventurer's Club – definitely our vibe.

We would visit a few more times as adults but really got into it once our first born, Olivia, was, well, born. Our first trip with her was in October of 2009 when she was 8 months old, and she has been 4 times in total. Olivia is our spunky, intelligent, strong willed, princess loving first born! She loves roller coasters but not stories with conflicts. As mentioned, big fan of princesses, and also of this little known Disney movie that came out a little while ago, you probably haven't heard of it as practically no merchandise available for it - but it's called Frozen.

Our middle child is Peter who is silly and funny, and wakes up from naps cranky and loves anything that moves - particularly trains and monorails. His first exposure to the parks was in October of 2011 when Judi was 7+ months pregnant with him but his first real trip was in October of 2013. For our August 2014 trip we stayed at the Contemporary and he was blown away that we were staying in the hotel that the monorail went through - we wound up doing laps on the monorail as he just loved it.

Our most recent addition is Emma who was only one month old her first trip to WDW last August (part of the reason for the trip was to show Emma off to Judi's grandmother in Boca). While she probably doesn't remember much of that trip, we got some great character interraction and some fun pictures. She was just about 15 months old this most recent trip and is very active. She is a sweet heart and very into figuring things out (she figured out how to undo her car seat buckle at < 10 months old much to our dismay). She very much lives up to our nickname for her of boogity

Here are a few pictures of us from our past trips to give some background, break up this text heavy post, and show off how the kids have grown.

First up is our trip from October 2009 which was highlighted by meeting Andrew Zimmern and date night at California Grill (Judi's mom had come with us and watched Olivia). Plus it started the trend of getting pictures of Olivia after Snow White gives her a kiss:

2009%20Oct%20Judi%20and%20Phil%20and%20Andrew%20Z.jpg
2009%20Oct%20Judi%20and%20Phil.jpg

2009%20Oct%20Olivia%20with%20kiss.jpg
2009%20Oct%20Olivia%20with%20ears.jpg

Then 2 years later (Oct 2011) - more Food & Wine Festival fun and Olivia did great with the characters - and Judi being so pregnant was an expert at knowing where all the bathrooms where:

2011%20Oct%20Phil%20Judi%20amp%20Olivia.jpg
2011%20Oct%20Olivia%20with%20kiss.jpg

2011%20Oct%20Olivia%20with%20Pooh.jpg
2011%20Oct%20Phil%20amp%20Judi.jpg
(Woody listing to Peter)

Then October 2013 (see the pattern). First time Olivia was able to go on some of the "big" rides and we celebrated our 10th anniversary at Victoria and Albert's. The last picture is from that meal with the harpist who was playing that night and happened to play our wedding song (the Luckiest, by Ben Folds)

2013%20Oct%20Judi%20at%20wine%20tasting.jpg
2013%20Octo%20Olivia%20with%20car.jpg
2013%20Oct%20Peter.jpg

2013%20Oct%20Olivia%20and%20Naveen.jpg
2013%20Oct%20Phil%20Judi%20Olivia%20on%20Splash.jpg
2013%20Oct%20Peter%20at%20table.jpg
2013%20Oct%20Judi%20and%20Phil%20amp%20harpist.jpg

And finally August 2014 - where we survived the heat and appreciated being on a monorail resort for the first time.
2014%20Aug%20Judi%20and%20Emma%20and%20Minnie.jpg
2014%20Aug%20Emma%20and%20Olivia.jpg
2014%20Aug%20kids.jpg

2014%20Aug%20Peter.jpg
2014%20Aug%20Phil%20and%20Peter.jpg
2014%20Aug%20Phil.jpg

Thank you for indulging me on that trip down memory lane. Coming up - everyone's favorite update: Travel day!

TTFN
Nothing like a trip down Disney Memory Lane. Enjoyed all the pictures!

Looks like you had a great time. Can't wait to read all about it. Travel day has got to be interesting if there was Olympic suitcase riding.

Hey, when you've got a good thing going...

You left off the asterisk.

"If you were ever thinking of visiting Disneyland, this is the year to do it!"*

* Unless you're going during the first part of the year when everything is closed in preparation for this amazing celebration.

Disney movie that came out a little while ago, you probably haven't heard of it as practically no merchandise available for it - but it's called Frozen.
That's the one with the Genie, right? :rolleyes1

Our middle child is Peter who is silly and funny, and wakes up from naps cranky and loves anything that moves - particularly trains and monorails
I can totally relate to him. I mean it is almost like we're the same person. Staying in the Contemporary and watching the monorail go through the hotel has been basically my life long dream too.

(she figured out how to undo her car seat buckle at < 10 months old much to our dismay
:scared1: Wow!

Enjoyed the trip. That's what it's all about, after all. The memories!

I'm here! So happy you've started your report..and also embarassed that I've been back way longer than you and have not started mine :rolleyes1

Love the intro post. Can't wait to here about this trip!

I'm here and super excited to hear all about your trip! :hyper:

I loved the little walk down (Disney) memory lane! :thumbsup2

Great start!! Love the past trips, adding a kid each time! Hahaha.

Looking forward to hearing about the trip

Joining in! I love all the pictures from past trips - so cool to see how the kids have grown! Can't wait to read about DL.

Oh I hope you loved Disneyland! I think it's such a different experience from Disney World; I'd hate to have to choose between the resorts!

But I then found a loop-hole: Disneyland isn't in Disney World! Plus

Very, very sneaky. Excellent :thumbsup2

Awesome picture! And all the kids are smiling and looking! Perfect.

(don't worry, not the same family)

Phew!

Very cool.

OH my goodness love this shot :love:

(Woody listing to

This is amazing! And I love the sticker over her tummy :cutie:

I'd LOVE to visit one day! In fact, we probably should have done it already considering we had a 'babysitter' with us :headache:

Excited to read all about it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!