Touring Plans Line App

Tbiafore

Mouseketeer
How accurate have you found that the TP lines wait times are? Are they more accurate than Disneys app since Disney inflates their wait times?

Thank you,

Last edited:
i find it helpful to compare the two, and to have a point of evidence for the wife/kids when official wait times are inflated for headliners. they are better than disney's but not perfect. i think either set of wait times are least precise when headliners are opening - whether for the day or after a closure, as predictions can't really account for the number of ppl streaming in suddenly.

i feel like real wait times are usually 65-100% of posted wait times, ignoring outliers like jacked up end of night posted times.

@lentesta, if you happen to read this, I have a question.

How do you prefer guests enter their 'wait times' when an attraction includes pre-show(s). I will say I'm never sure when to actually submit my wait time.

E.g. RotR - Do I enter it as soon as I'm loaded into the transport wait area or, wait until I'm boarding the actual ride vehicle? Similarly FoP - when I enter the first pre-show or, when I board my ride vehicle? As you know, there are great differences in those times.

Thanks!

More accurate than Disney's, except for Tron during extended evening hours. But "more accurate" is still just an estimate, be aware, it can be off.

I would not try to use the app for re-optimizing a complicated plan on the ground, though. I spent way too much time trying to fix issues and finally gave up.

Generally more accurate but I still watch both. Disney plays with their wait times intentionally to drive people toward/away from rides sometimes whereas Lines is usually more accurate.

How accurate have you found that the TP lines wait times are? Are they more accurate than Disneys app since Disney inflates their wait times?

Thank you,
Disney's inflated wait times are due to actual wait times constantly changing. Touring Plans is generally more precise because their algorithm takes into account a lot of historical data, among other things, while Disney is making an estimate more based on what they have as current lines.

Also I think in general, there's a lot of confirmation bias going on when looking at wait times. Just as an example, if you are walking up to Space Mountain and see 20 minutes, by the time you shuffle through a line that's moving, and you have to wait a couple of minutes before you get on, it still amounts to 15 minutes. Some people seem to think that's "practically a walk-on" when they actually spent more time than they thought.

Disney's inflated wait times are due to actual wait times constantly changing. Touring Plans is generally more precise because their algorithm takes into account a lot of historical data, among other things, while Disney is making an estimate more based on what they have as current lines.
Disney also uses wait times as a crowd control mechanism, especially in the evenings.

For example, let’s say Rise has an 80 minute posted wait about a half hour before closing time. The actual wait is only 10 minutes. Closer to closing time, the posted wait has dropped to 70 minutes while the ride is now a walk on.

Neither of these posted waits were remotely accurate, it’s just Disney’s way of gently directing guests toward the exits and hopefully the gift shops along the way.

Touring Plans incorporates actual reported waits from app users into their formula, which brings up an interesting decision when that 10 minute wait is discovered. Do you report the wait time in the app or keep that info to yourself and hop in line again.

I’ve posed that question here a few times over the years and the responses have always been very mixed.

@lentesta, if you happen to read this, I have a question.

How do you prefer guests enter their 'wait times' when an attraction includes pre-show(s). I will say I'm never sure when to actually submit my wait time.

E.g. RotR - Do I enter it as soon as I'm loaded into the transport wait area or, wait until I'm boarding the actual ride vehicle? Similarly FoP - when I enter the first pre-show or, when I board my ride vehicle? As you know, there are great differences in those times.

Thanks!

Hey! Sorry for the delay!

We're adding a "here's when to start the timer" text to the app to address this question.

For ROTR, it's when you sit down in the ride vehicle. Because there's a lot going on there, you can stop it as soon as you see the wall getting cut, and we won't lose much accuracy.

The other thing to note is that the timer should start when you're stopped in line by other people and actually start waiting.

Imagine a really long queue like Kali River Rapids. It probably takes a couple of minutes just to walk through the whole thing, even if nobody's ahead of you. To avoid counting that, start the timer when your wait actually begins.

Unrelated: I rode Peter Pan's Flight for 7 straight hours on Saturday to get actual wait times. I have some redecorating ideas for the family that'll brighten the whole place up.

Touring Plans incorporates actual reported waits from app users into their formula, which brings up an interesting decision when that 10 minute wait is discovered. Do you report the wait time in the app or keep that info to yourself and hop in line again.

There should be a case study in game theory on this.

Hey! Sorry for the delay!

We're adding a "here's when to start the timer" text to the app to address this question.

For ROTR, it's when you sit down in the ride vehicle. Because there's a lot going on there, you can stop it as soon as you see the wall getting cut, and we won't lose much accuracy.

The other thing to note is that the timer should start when you're stopped in line by other people and actually start waiting.

Imagine a really long queue like Kali River Rapids. It probably takes a couple of minutes just to walk through the whole thing, even if nobody's ahead of you. To avoid counting that, start the timer when your wait actually begins.

Unrelated: I rode Peter Pan's Flight for 7 straight hours on Saturday to get actual wait times. I have some redecorating ideas for the family that'll brighten the whole place up.
Thanks so much Len! All of this is very helpful!! I will say in the past I started my timers too early (started then often as I was walking the first part of the queue) and, often ended too early too as I sometimes stopped in first pre-show room. Will make those changes for next visit.

Now, about your PP adventures. WOW!! I watched your journey on IG and need to say - hats off to you! THAT is dedication!!

Hope the room redecorating is going well!! 🤣

I used the Lines app last week. Love that app. We did find that the wait times were more accurate, plus you can look at any that have been recently submitted.
By submitting my actual wait times I've also learned how much my mind naturally increases the amount of time I think I have waited in a queue. There were times I was sure I'd been in a queue for 20 mins but when I went to actually 'Submit' my time as I entered the ride vehicle it was normally substantially less (e.g. actually 12 mins) than my brain felt it was.

Love Touring Plans and recommend it to people all the time!!

WOW!
Thank you all SO much for this thread!
I pay the subscription for TPs for years and NEVER once use the lines app part. I go for usually
15-20 days a year.
I will be sure to use next month!
THANK YOU!

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest