• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tour Guide

HMANSION LOVER

PIN TRADER
Pandv_2000 mentioned using a personal tour guide. Does anyone know how to go about setting that up. Any idea how much it costs in Yen? And finally is it available for any city in Japan or just the larger cities? We are going to spend about 4 days at TDL with the expectation to do day trips from Tokyo to various tourist attractions, seems like we might get more done with a tour guide. Any help is truly appreciated. :confused3

Sorry I've been missing from the boards a bit. Still need to finish that trip report! We found our tour guide through another diser. She pointed me to his trip advisor reviews and he was highly rated. He wasn't cheap. We originally booked 4 hours but extended to 6 and the cost was around 33000 yen for the 6 hours. You can definitely get guides in other cities. I would start with trip advisor. Hope that helps

Sorry I've been missing from the boards a bit. Still need to finish that trip report! We found our tour guide through another diser. She pointed me to his trip advisor reviews and he was highly rated. He wasn't cheap. We originally booked 4 hours but extended to 6 and the cost was around 33000 yen for the 6 hours. You can definitely get guides in other cities. I would start with trip advisor. Hope that helps

Hi pandy_2000, Thank you for taking time from your trip report to answer my question. Your help is truly appreciated.

I booked a tour guide to take me around Tokyo for the day and also for a day trip to Kamakura. I used Backstreet Guides and had Miwa as my guide. She was fantastic and the company is excellent.

Prior to the trip I sent a list of things that I wanted to see in Tokyo and I worked with the company to narrow down what was doable.

It was 58,000 yen for two full days. There were two of us in our party and the tour was private. She met us at our hotel both days at 9am and dropped us back off at the hotel between 5 and 5:30pm.

Miwa met us on our first day in Tokyo and walked me through how to buy our metro passes and explained all of the different places they could be used.

Enjoy your trip!

I booked a tour guide to take me around Tokyo for the day and also for a day trip to Kamakura. I used Backstreet Guides and had Miwa as my guide. She was fantastic and the company is excellent.

Prior to the trip I sent a list of things that I wanted to see in Tokyo and I worked with the company to narrow down what was doable.

It was 58,000 yen for two full days. There were two of us in our party and the tour was private. She met us at our hotel both days at 9am and dropped us back off at the hotel between 5 and 5:30pm.

Miwa met us on our first day in Tokyo and walked me through how to buy our metro passes and explained all of the different places they could be used.

Enjoy your trip!

Thank you for your help. We truly appreciate all assistance we get from all the great people here on the Disboards. :goodvibes

I am planning a trip to Kyoto in December and am planning on using a Goodwill Guide. These are volunteers from different community groups who lead tours for free (you generally pay for their transportation costs, admission fees and lunch - if you go to lunch with them).

I did a tour with a Goodwill Guide group in Kamakura and they were exceptionally nice and knowledgeable people so am hoping for the best in Kyoto!

You have to arrange tours directly with the groups - the link below provides lists of Goodwill Guide groups in Kyoto, but also has lists for many other areas in Japan.

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/arrange/travel/guide/list_volunteerGuides_a-n.html#kyoto

I am travelling on a tight budget and am thankful that these local groups are willing to volunteer their time and knowledge with tourists!

Side note - since there is no tipping in Japan - it is good to bring a small gift from your hometown for your guide :)

Enjoy your trip!

Hiya! :wave2: I recommended Taka the guide in Kyoto to Pandy2000 and have also used Backstreet Guides in Tokyo. Taka was awesome bc he has his own car and will drive you wherever. Here's his info on TripAdvisor http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g298564-d4765281-Reviews-Private_English_Tour_in_Kyoto_Day_Tour-Kyoto_Kyoto_Prefecture_Kinki.html Our guide with Backstreet (Rie) in Tokyo was also great. She was very insightful and accommodating (we traveled with 2 kids). I highly recommend both. Backstreet in Tokyo / Taka in Kyoto. To me it was totally worth the money to have assistance getting around Tokyo & Kyoto an having some cultural insight into what you were actually seeing. Have fun!!! I wish I was back in Japan right now ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter