Too fat to fly?

luvs2plan

Earning My Ears
This is really embarressing. I am overweight, around 250 lbs. Last time I flew to DW was on Delta. I almost had a hard time with the seat belt and felt really stupid and embarressed for my thin husband. I thought the seats were extremely uncomfortable and almost impossible to relax and rest. We are leaving really early this time the day after Thanksgiving and will have been up since 2:00 am. We are flying Norwest Airlines. Does anyone have any suggestions for comfort or know if there is any more room? Does anyone else have this problem? What do you do?

Don't be embarrassed! Airplane seats are notoriously small...for anyone! Simply ask one of the flight attendants for a seat belt extender. They are readily available on the plane and simply hook into the seat belt. It will make your trip alot more comfortable. You can also usually put down the armrest between you and the seat next to you ...(husbands) and this will give you more room and make you more comfortable.

Any chance you can fly first class? If you have a lot of miles you could possibly upgrade depending on the fare rules that go along with your tkt.
If not then I suggest putting the arm rest up between yourself and your husband.

I'm a big person too (353#). So I buy a second seat when I fly because not only do I want to be comfortable but I don't want to encroach onto my neighbor's area.

Buying an extra seat (perhaps a middle seat so that you AND your husband would have more room) or upgrading to first class would do the most to make you more comfortable. However, this obviously would be more expensive.

Flying is uncomfortable for everyone and a large percentage of the American population have trouble fitting into those narrow seats. Definitely ask the flight attendant for a seatbelt extender. Your safety is very important.

Be sure to confirm with the airline that you are in a row with armrests that will raise, some do not! This will give you a little more room since your husband will be sitting next to you.

Good luck. Try to keep a cheerful attitude and keep your mind on your objective, getting to your destination!

Peggy

There is a good chance the plane will be completely filled the day after Thanksgiving. You might call and get a price for buying an extra seat. The suggestion of using any available FF to upgrade to first class is good.

If you know your flight number(s), you can go to NWA's website and look up the type of plane/equipment for your flight. The seat map for your plane type will list the width of the seats and distance between rows. That will give you a better idea of how much room there will be on your flight. Those dimensions vary by plane type and even by airline. Some airlines "pack them in" more tightly than others.

I'm not so sure that an early morning flight on the Friday after Thanksgiving will be full. You might try calling and asking for seat assignments that include a window seat and an aisle seat with a vacant seat between. If the plane is full, of course that won't work out and someone will be assigned to the middle seat. However, if it does work out, you and your DH will have a row to yourselves. (The agent might be able to put a note to not use the middle seat unless absolutely necessary. I know they sometimes do that for parents who do not buy a seat for their lap child). If someone does come to use the middle seat, I'm sure he/she would gladly take the window so you and your DH can sit next to each other.

Best wishes!

Thank you for your help and suggestions. Our two teenage children will be with us also. I booked three seats on one side and one on the aisle right across. I think I'll be next to my daughter and on the aisle so it should be more comfortable that way. I usually wear jeans and thought I'd get knit pants for travel that would feel less constrictive also. I'm hoping to be able to sleep some since we will be getting up in the middle of the night to get ready to go. The seats don't do much to help you sleep either. Five hours is just a long time in a plane, I don't know how people do any longer. It is way too boring especially when your on the way to WDW and full of excitement.

Some airlines, sometimes, offer cash upgrades to first class you can buy at the gate, and they are often very reasonable. I've done this twice with Delta for $50 and $80 (just for the thrill and luxury). I don't know about NWA, but it's certainly worth asking.

try asking for bulk head seating or the seats by the emergency exits-they offer more leg room too.We just flew to disney and my husband and i are 200 plus and the aisle seat helps too. Don't worry , I am sure your trip will be good.

We tried bulkhead seats one time & they were even smaller than other seats because the tray table is stored in the seat. The flight attendant was not helpful at all - I had to find passengers to change seats with us.

NO!! Bulkhead seats do NOT have raisable armrests. . .as is stated in the last post, the tray table is stored in the arm. Bulkhead seats are GREAT for people with long legs or anyone who needs extra leg room. But for someone who needs more width and would like to raise the armrest, AVOID BULKHEAD!

Peggy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter