Tokyo Disneyland anyone?

Hobbes

DIS Veteran
Konichiwa! has anyone been to Tokyo DL? If so tell me more-how did you book it? How long did you stay? Where did you stay -basically tell me everything about it including the colour of your undies! OK perhaps not that bit...
I've been watching Tim and Jenn Tracker's visit and it looks amazing!

I'd be interested in this too. We're hoping to go in 2020 and combine it with a trip to the Olympics!

I don't know much about booking. My friend and his Wife stayed at the Hilton just next door, alot better value for money than onsite apparently.

Hello! I went in September this year. We did a split stay, 3 nights in an Alice in Wonderland room at the Disneyland Hotel before 2 nights at the Miracosta. We then moved on to 'actual Tokyo'.

What do you want to know?

Hotels have to be booked 6 months out at 3am UK time. They are very expensive, I think I paid just over £2,000. By the time I had finished booking at 3.05am, many rooms had sold out. The booking system is very funny about cards and even though it says it doesn't except debit both my Visa Debit and Mastercard credit cards worked. For a once in a lifetime experience I think it was worth it, the rooms are beautiful. Be aware that the staff do not have the level of English you would expect at a 5 star hotel, I learnt basic Japanese for the trip and there were a few communication breakdowns. They tended to have one English speaking porter, I'm a bit DIY for a porter but they insisted haha. He was lovely, pointing out hidden Mickey's and room details. They also transferred my bags for me for a split stay.

Staying on-site is worth it for the early entry - 15 minutes will get you on the busiest ride and one FastPass which is integral as the crowds are higher than I've seen in WDW, Disneyland and Disneyland Paris. Don't believe the horror stories though, everyone is so lovely and courteous so while people rush it's all very polite.

In terms of park to park comparisons, they are the nicest Disney parks I've visited and I'm going to go on a limb and say the best in the world. They are clean, maintenance is perfect, the staff are wonderful and there are some great park exclusive rides. DisneySea is breathtakingly beautiful. I would rank them: Tokyo, WDW (for scope), Paris (for theming) then Disneyland. Highlights: Winnie the Pooh, Journey to the Centre of the Earth.

Oh we managed to see everything in a day for DisneySea and a day and a half for Disneyland but we didn't really do characters or shows. They have free roaming characters so we managed to meet: Hook, Maleficent's minions, Fairy Godmother etc just by wandering. Also it was Halloween and everyone was dressed up hence my Anna costume - they really go all out and it's amazing to see.

Here's a few pictures. I should also point out that even though we went in September it was hot! 30-32 degrees. It rained for about 2 hours one day and it made no difference.

Also worth looking at my instagram: Oldschoolreasons and scrolling back to September as I have videos of the Alice room. Photo's do not do it justice![GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

Attachments

• 21688611_116972799021264_3593812218480689152_n.jpg
    21688611_116972799021264_3593812218480689152_n.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 21569125_124312828308193_377083478455353344_n.jpg
    21569125_124312828308193_377083478455353344_n.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 21435827_150392382218968_1529562240653459456_n.jpg
    21435827_150392382218968_1529562240653459456_n.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 7
  • 21480228_2003086789936751_3332717394165497856_n.jpg
    21480228_2003086789936751_3332717394165497856_n.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 7
I love TDR, I've been there once and I've been wanting to go back since a minute after I left.
I think it's very well worth 4 full days. I've stayed at the Sheraton onsite for which I've found a great rate in off season. DO NOT go during the week end or during any Japanese holiday: crowds can be brutal. I went in April and found low crowds (well, for TDR standards) and lovely weather. Next time I want to go in Autumn.
Everything in Japan is various degrees of amazing: love the cities, love the nature, love the culture, love the food, love the people. And love love love TDR.

This website has a lot of useful information: https://tdrexplorer.com/

Last edited:
Wow, very comprehensive replies from you both-thanks for that. I think this is something we are going to have to give some serious thought to-nice to know it can be done. I was amazed no-one in the UK does packages-yes Mr Branson, I'm looking at you!

Wow, very comprehensive replies from you both-thanks for that. I think this is something we are going to have to give some serious thought to-nice to know it can be done. I was amazed no-one in the UK does packages-yes Mr Branson, I'm looking at you!

I'd never been to Asia and was very worried about culture shock - I'd only been to America, various European cities and Morocco before and it was surprisingly easy to adapt. I agree with PP about TDRexplorer and would add Disneytouristblog as a planning resource too!

It was the best place I've ever visited and I'd return in a heartbeat! Also fly direct, we decided to save on flights by doing a stop over and it was horrible and not worth the £400 saved.

I've flown to Osaka outbound and from Tokyo inbound. Visite Osaka, Kyoto nd finally Tokyo. It worked very well. I saved a bit on travel time and Japan Rail pass cost.

i was there years and years ago (1984 to be specific), but DD was there more recently (well she was there with me as a fetus, but i guess that doesn't count)...
she stayed at the hilton that's part of the resort there....it was less expensive than the disney resorts and you still get guaranteed entrance and things like that...
she enrolled in hilton honors before she went and it was helpful...they upgraded her to a better room...

she was there for 4 nights and 5 days...

it was the last part of a 3 week visit to japan.....
they bought a japanrail pass before they left and traveled around japan on the train...
finally ending at TDR for the big finish to their holiday...

We went on our first trip to Tokyo 3 years ago. We had booked a package for Tokyo with British Airways and flew direct (which I would definitely recommend). As we'd already got a hotel in central Tokyo we simply took the train to Tokyo Disney. We pre-booked our tickets online and did just a one day trip to Tokyo DisneySea.

I will say this - the queues first thing for fast-passes for Toy Story Mania were insane. I've never seen anything like it! However, it is very well organised and the Japanese are super friendly and polite (and know how to queue properly) which means that although the queues are insane they are very orderly.

me again - i really think that if you're going to TDR, you should try to also visit other parts of japan...
japan is a unique country - unlike anywhere else in the world, including other asian countries.
i'm a bit biased having spent a lot of time there growing up, but it's a wonderful place to visit, including probably the cleanest and safest country you'll ever visit.
the people are very kind to tourists and will go out of their way to help you...

as for TDR itself, i don't know how people manage it in less than 4 days - the lines, as others have mentioned can be insanely long....
if you're already flying halfway around the world to see a place, at least spend some time and enjoy it...
not to mention, it's wonderful to observe the japanese enjoying disney....like at their parades...
TDR is a place to savor, not race through... much like the rest of japan!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter