To Wig or Not to Wig?

BekahBelle

Mouseketeer
Hi guys!
I'm looking for some advice.
I have trichotillomania, which is essentially an anxiety disorder resulting in significant hair loss. My trich is severe, meaning that I am practically bald. I haven't been to Disney since I lost all my hair, but my family plans to go this summer.
I am a girly girl, and I don't like for people to assume I have cancer, so I usually wear wigs in my day to day life to feel like myself. However, there are some concerns I have about wearing a wig at Disney in July:
1.) The heat - we all know Disney is a sauna without an exit in the dead summer, and that heat mainly escapes through the head. I am afraid that if I wear a wig in the parks, the heat will build up and I will end up looking like Anger from Inside Out! Plus, head sweat in a wig does not smell pleasant at the end of the day!!!
2.) Summer downpours - wigs don't recover well from getting soaked! If I get caught in the rain - which is 100% likely in FL in July, I could be stuck with a fresh out of Triton's kingdom Ariel look!
3.) The rides - I am worried about loosing my hair on some of the bigger rides! How embarrassing!
After all that, I know it seems like the simplest solution would be not to wear a wig. But if I don't wear a wig, I really don't want guests or cast members to think I have cancer or look at me with pity or give me any special treatment because they think something is wrong with me. Even if I cover up with a headscarf or ballcap it will be obvious.
Does anyone have any tips for wearing a wig in the parks comfortably and worry free? Or tips for walking around bald without drawing undue attention?
Sorry this is so long. I know this might seem like a crazy question, but it is really giving me anxiety!!!

You won't draw attention. There is literally every walk of life at WDW. Lots of bald, disabled, fully abled, etc people there. It's a place for you to have a good time and relax from your day to day.
I know it's easier said than done but who cares what others think anyway? You'll never see those people again and I live here so I say in July, no wig. Way too hot and wet.
Maybe a baseball hat or handkerchief (do-rag?) but no wig. At least I wouldn't want the maintenance of it. Maybe wear it to dinner outside of the parks or on a non-park day in DS but not in the parks.
I commend you for facing your fear and plowing forward to the parks. Find the thing that will make you enjoy it and hopefully let you loose your anxiety for a little bit.

I’d probably choose a pretty lightweight cotton scarf over a wig, especially in summer. I think a wig would be miserable and oppressive.

If you’re comfortable wearing no covering, I see nothing wrong with that either.

Just do whatever makes you comfortable, if you aren't comfortable not wearing a wig wear one but no one is going to notice. As far as people thinking you have cancer, again don't worry what other's think. Personally, I'd put a cap on and go about my day. The only reason I'd wear a cap is I'm allergic to the sun, otherwise I'd wear my bald head proudly and the heck with what others thought.

I personally adore the bald girl look. (I blame Sigourney Weaver as the start of this...) That said, my philosophy is "Do you". You do what makes YOU feel comfortable and happy. I've never worn a wig for daily wear, but I've worn one for costuming effects...and I can tell you...I would not want that hassle at Disney. Just remember, if you do go in your glory, some of us don't get caught staring because we're wondering "what's wrong"...we're going "Dang, I wish I could pull that off!"

I'd bring the wig if there are occasions where you want to wear it. Like out to dinner or something. In the parks, no one should care or if they do it's really their problem.

One other possible solution is Mouse Ears. They have a neck strap so they're good to go on roller coasters. I wore mine on Rock n Roller Coaster for the picture and they survived.

Last edited:
I will definitely go without the wig to the parks, all that sweating and overheating is unnecessary. You can easily wear any cap or scarf that will protect from the sun and still look great a fashionable. Also the heat, sweating combo will ruin your wig.

I understand your predicament. I have a friend who has alopecia, but it's not bad enough where she's totally bald. That being said, she does wear a wig and she's pretty hot in the summer when she's outside all day. She just wears the wig all day.

In your situation, I think that you should go with a head scarf and/or a wide brimmed hat and just own your self-confidence and rock your own style. Consider, for example, that many African-American women go with a head wrap and those are often really attractive & pretty. You can wear different ones to match your outfit, for example. Probably go with a breathable fabric instead of something synthetic, though. And when you get hot with the scarf/head wrap on? Just pour some water over your head and it'll be like you have a big cooling towel on your head. instant air conditioning.

I have a medical condition which causes thinning hair. There are times when it's embarrassing. I'm not to the point where I wear a wig. But when we're outside a lot, I usually wear a big Tilley hat with a 4" brim. It keeps my head cool and it doesn't look dorky. Of course, when I have to take the hat off, I look simply hideous because I have curly hair and curly hair + hat head does not equate to a stylish look, if you catch my drift. So I end up trying to keep the hat on indoors at restaurants as long as possible. I have seriously considered doing the head scarf thing on future trips.

Thanks everyone for your great advice and encouraging replies! I think I am going to go on Etsy and see if I can find any cute headscarves with Disney patterns and prints! Might as well get into it! Haha :)

That’s exactly what I was going to suggest!

Go big, bold and Disney!

Have a fantastic trip!

Do what makes you most comfortable. You have 3 options when it comes to others: let it get you down, ignore them, or flaunt it.

If it were me (and I didn't get a sunburn just by breathing) I'd ask one of the face-painters to do a full head paint job. LOL

Hope you have a fun trip!

Frist off a big :hug:

I would suggest bringing the wig along if you decide that you want to wear it, wear it... if its what you want, who really gives a fig about what someone else thinks. You will be with your tribe( family) and spending time with them is what's important. If someone ask you about it you can handle it 2 ways, tell them its none of your business, or you could educate them. This way you are in control. If you find that someone is staring at you just smile, wink or blow them a kiss ( this was my friends way of being in control when she lost her hair) or if a cast members offers some pixie dust.... it's up to you to decide to take the offer or decline, again it gives you the control. The CM's are doing what they are trained to do.

I love the idea of the different Disney themed scarves, you can also get a wider brimmed hat, and make some Disney themed bands to go around it. I will say make sure you use some sun screen even while wearing a hat.

Sending loads of pixie dust pixiedust: Have a wonderful time...

Hugs to you!
You had mentioned that you didn't want special treatment. This made me think of someone special in my life. Obviously, I shouldn't reveal private facts that are not my own. But know that I totally relate and understand your feelings.

You are right, there is nothing wrong with you. But you are dealing with something. It can be difficult and it has changed your life. So if by chance a CM, or anyone else, sends a little pixie dust your way, my advice is that you consider receiving it with a smile and gratitude. I used the word "consider" because it would depend on the offering. The giver may have made incorrect assumptions, but quite often it is from the heart. Sometimes the most giving people are those that have struggles of their own. They understand. My point is that please don't feel guilty about being on the receiving end of someone's kindness. Even if you had the time/took the time to explain that your condition is not cancer, I feel certain most givers would still be more than happy to extend a little kindness to you.

Last edited:
Hi guys!
I'm looking for some advice.
I have trichotillomania, which is essentially an anxiety disorder resulting in significant hair loss. My trich is severe, meaning that I am practically bald. I haven't been to Disney since I lost all my hair, but my family plans to go this summer.
I am a girly girl, and I don't like for people to assume I have cancer, so I usually wear wigs in my day to day life to feel like myself. However, there are some concerns I have about wearing a wig at Disney in July:
1.) The heat - we all know Disney is a sauna without an exit in the dead summer, and that heat mainly escapes through the head. I am afraid that if I wear a wig in the parks, the heat will build up and I will end up looking like Anger from Inside Out! Plus, head sweat in a wig does not smell pleasant at the end of the day!!!
2.) Summer downpours - wigs don't recover well from getting soaked! If I get caught in the rain - which is 100% likely in FL in July, I could be stuck with a fresh out of Triton's kingdom Ariel look!
3.) The rides - I am worried about loosing my hair on some of the bigger rides! How embarrassing!
After all that, I know it seems like the simplest solution would be not to wear a wig. But if I don't wear a wig, I really don't want guests or cast members to think I have cancer or look at me with pity or give me any special treatment because they think something is wrong with me. Even if I cover up with a headscarf or ballcap it will be obvious.
Does anyone have any tips for wearing a wig in the parks comfortably and worry free? Or tips for walking around bald without drawing undue attention?
Sorry this is so long. I know this might seem like a crazy question, but it is really giving me anxiety!!!

I'm so surprised nobody has chimed in about actually wearing their wigs at the parks! I am a daily wig wearer and wear mine regardless of the weather. I wear on cruises, Disney, all-inclusives, etc. with no issues. Mine do just fine in the rain - definitely better than my own hair - and if yours has an open weft cap, it will breathe. I've been on roller coasters and endured very strong winds on the top decks of cruise ships and never had mine come off.

I went through chemo last year and was finishing up when it started to get warm. I was counting down the days while my peach fuzz free in. There are websites that sell hats with pony tails and bangs. It looks like there is a full head but the heat is able to escape. You may even be able to get these to clip on to hats so you can switch them to different hats. Check headcovers.com and tlcdirect.org. Good Luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter