To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Congrats on the house! We did the whole "living with other people" thing too ... but for us it was only a week, so it wasn't too bad (because of the way it worked out with sellers/buyers, we had to close on the house we were selling a week before we could close on the house we were buying). I hope it ends up working out okay for you guys!

I know you already told me about it, but it was still nice to see you report the tough parts of Sunday's run. Sometimes it's easy to gloss over the struggles, especially when the end result was good, and I really appreciate the fact that you're honest about the struggles when they happen.

Congrats on the house! We did the whole "living with other people" thing too ... but for us it was only a week, so it wasn't too bad (because of the way it worked out with sellers/buyers, we had to close on the house we were selling a week before we could close on the house we were buying). I hope it ends up working out okay for you guys!

Thanks! We had to do it way back in 2008 as well when our apartment got bed bugs. Thankfully, that only lasted a month before we could get into a different apartment. I think G will make everything easier and I'm 10 years older now.

I know you already told me about it, but it was still nice to see you report the tough parts of Sunday's run. Sometimes it's easy to gloss over the struggles, especially when the end result was good, and I really appreciate the fact that you're honest about the struggles when they happen.

That's what I'm here for. Relating to everyone else with the highs and lows of training. Those M Tempo runs can always be a mind game for me because of doing the three mile loops. So I know in 3 miles I have another option of taking a break or not. I lay out the water bottles on the table so I could run by and just maintain stride. But sometimes, I just can't keep it up anymore and need a small break. This struggle with M Tempo pacing is one reason I'm doing way more intense M Tempo runs in the Chicago training cycle. I want to hone in on my deficiency in that particular workout to better my craft. And to work on my mental game as to whether or not I can actually maintain pace for longer.

33 Days to Go (Tempo is back!)

View attachment 322368

Date - Day - Scheduled Workouts (Intervals within desired pace)

5/7/18 - M - OFF
5/8/18 - T - MCR Stage 2A + 2 mile WU + (4 x 200m @ R (5:27) w/ 200m RI) + (6 x 400m @ R (5:27) w/ 400m RI) + (4 x 200m @ R (5:27) w/ 200m RI) + 1.5 mile CD (9/14)
5/9/18 - W - 7 miles @ EA (8:14)
5/10/18 - R - MCR Stage 2A + 2 mile WU + 4 x 1.5 @ T (6:25) w/ 2 min RI + 2 mile CD (0/4)
5/11/18 - F - 7 miles @ EA (8:14)
5/12/18 - Sat - Hunter's Challenge - The Quick Fix (Bike)
5/13/18 - Sun - 3 mile WU + 8 miles @ M Tempo (7:00) + 2.2 mile CD (8/8)

Running duration = 6:21 hours
Running mileage = 46.4 miles
Indoor Virtual Biking duration = 0:45 hours
Indoor Virtual Biking mileage = 13.0 miles
Total (training) duration = 7:06 hours
Total (training) mileage = 59.4 miles
Number of running SOS intervals within pace = 17/26 (65%)

Monday

Received an offer on the house!

Tuesday

McMillan Core Routine Stage 2A.

Front Plank with leg movements - 10 reps per leg
Side Plank with leg movements - 10 reps per leg
Scissor Kick - 2 x 10 reps w/ 10 sec rest
Metronome - 15 reps
Back Extension - 2 x 10 reps
Modified Jane Fonda - 30 reps per leg
Good Mornings - 10 reps

Still not capable of a side plank leg movement.

On to the next R paced run. I adjusted the plan again because of the lack of R paced run last week. So I decided to do that workout this weekend instead of stepping up a level. The workout was:

2 mile WU + (4 x 200m @ R (5:27) w/ 200m RI) + (6 x 400m @ R (5:27) w/ 400m RI) + (4 x 200m @ R (5:27) w/ 200m RI) + 1.5 mile CD

R pace = 5:27 min/mile (41 sec for 200m and 82 sec for 400m)

1st set - 38, 40, 40, 39

Felt good. My left hamstring was a little tight. Hoping that it wouldn't linger through the run. I had some neighbors come out of their houses, grab some drinks on the porch and just sit back and watch me work. Nice to have an audience.

2nd set - 82, 83, 85, 84, 86, 84

Holy cow! It's been a while since I've done 400m at R. Now I remember how much they suck! Like me, sucking wind. I was so out of breath and dying during/after these. I needed every second of the 3-4 min RI. That hurt a lot. The hamstring was getting tighter and more noticeable during the RI of each interval.

3rd set - 38, 38, 41, 40

Well even when I though I slowed down I apparently was still way too fast. But that hamstring was becoming more and more noticeable.

Overall, not the worst. Way too fast on the 200m and a touch too slow on the 400m. But, let's rewind back to February 2017...

Tuesday was time for a new training cycle! It was a near perfect evening for running. A 40F WC, with very little wind, a slight to dense fog over time. Goal Pace for R is 5:52 min/mile (approximately mile pace, although my PR is 6:24). AHHH, a 5... For 200m that's 44 seconds and 400m is 88 seconds. My goal is to hit these +/- 1 second, so 43-45 seconds for 200m and 87-89 seconds for 400m. I am choosing to run these Quality Speed workouts on the road rather than the track since my racing will be on the road as well. To ensure accuracy, I have satellite mapped out 200m and 400m. I will use the lap button based on man-made markers to ensure distance accuracy so I don't rely on the inaccurate GPS signal of the watch.

First 200m set - 4/4 (45, 45, 43, 43)
400m set - 4/6 (86, 87, 89, 90, 89, 89)
Second 200m set - 3/4 (46, 44, 44, 44)

I'm shocked I hit 11/14 paces overall since I've never attempted to run this fast ever before (either actual pace or relative fitness pace). Regardless, this was a very tough workout and I feel like I got nailed by a truck. FUN!

This was actually the first time I had done a Daniels speed workout and it was the exact same one as this one. Today's run was in a T+D in the 130s vs 40s for February 2017. Nice to look back and see the progress as I'm running 200m in 38 seconds instead of 43-45 seconds now. That's a big difference! #Progress!

Wednesday

Did some counter-offer back and forth throughout the day. Right as I was leaving to go running I got a call from our relator. Counter offer accepted! Now time to jump through the rest of the hoops, but...

View attachment 322357

View attachment 322358

The hamstring was super sore. Kind of poppy throughout. I decided to take the run SUPER easy and just try to survive it. Ended up with 7 miles at 8:42 min/mile pace. The HR was quite high for this pace at 137. A lack of power made me work harder for the easy pace apparently.

Thursday

McMillan Core Routine Stage 2A.

Front Plank with leg movements - 10 reps per leg
Side Plank with leg movements - 10 reps per leg
Scissor Kick - 2 x 10 reps w/ 10 sec rest
Metronome - 15 reps
Back Extension - 2 x 10 reps
Modified Jane Fonda - 30 reps per leg
Good Mornings - 10 reps

Still not capable of a side plank leg movement.

Still not feeling great. I hemmed and hawed whether I should go through with the run. Decided to play it by ear and choose to do it or not based on the WU.

2 mile WU + 4 x 1.5 @ T (6:25) w/ 2 min RI + 2 mile CD

The T+D was 121 so I put an adjustment up to 6:32 pace. But based on how I was feeling, I felt that was probably too aggressive to aim for. Plus, my fitness has seemed to suggest that my original pacing scheme is still above and beyond my current fitness. So I went with a semi-blind T paced run. Just run what felt like T pace on the first interval. Then aim for consistent splits on each and every T pace. After the WU, I wasn't feeling great about the hamstring, but I decided to give it a go and see if it would loosen up as I ran.

T Pace = 6:58, 6:55, 7:02, 6:55

Not too shabby. The hamstring was noticeable, but allowed me to hold/maintain the pace. The worst was RI though as it seemed to tighten up. Puts me about 24-30 seconds off original pacing with the TD adjustment. Plus, the hamstring has me reconsidering doing 3 hard per week right now. I've already been considering moving to 2 hard per week for Chicago training, and this has pushed me to consider it for the remainder of the HM cycle as well.

Friday

Easy of 7 miles. But can't say it was all that easy with the hamstring. Just surviving. Pace was 8:30 and HR was 133 which is much closer to reasonable.

Saturday

Bike day. Kind of worked out as Steph was to be at work, and I wanted to sleep in. So G just came downstairs with me and cheered me on during the bike. As a reminder, I chose bike workouts that represented similar training loads to do 90 min at EB pacing (which the bike was replacing). This was a step up in difficulty in bike workouts from my Beginner FTP Training Plan I followed during my recovery phase.

View attachment 322366

View attachment 322365

I was super excited to give it a shot. Well that excitement was short lived as this workout really really challenged me. My hamstring wasn't feeling great during the WU, but that had little to do with the outcome of this workout.

I made it through the first two workout sections, but as soon as the third started I knew I was shot. This was WAY harder than a 90 min EB run. This was adding way more fatigue than I wanted before my 8 mile Tempo. So I pulled the plug early. I tried to do the third section, but my legs just wouldn't take me to 100% FTP anymore.

In total, 13 miles in 45 min. We'll see if I try another one of these super challenging Hunter's Challenge bikes.

Saturday evening we were on our way to dinner, and G said the following:

Hey guys, so I have an idea. I was thinking while Dad and I were playing Mario Kart. I came up with an idea but I wanted to keep it secret until mommy came home from work. I wanted to tell both of you at the same time. We should paint a picture of our old house, and then hang it in the house. That way we never forget our first house. What do you think?

Some days the things she says...

Sunday

M Tempo day!

3 mile WU + 8 miles @ M Tempo (7:00) + 2.2 mile CD

I was so excited I slept in.... Not a good choice since Steph had to leave for work at 8am. I was to wake at 5am, but fell back asleep until 5:45am. This was going to cut my 105 min workout really really close (like too close). Extra motivator to hit pace because I didn't have any time to spare.

After the T pace workout, I knew that 6:48 min/mile pace wasn't happening. So I decided to trust the M Tempo effort again. Thankfully it was only in the 40s instead of the 130 T+D like all week. So this run set me up for success.

The hamstring was actually feeling better for once. Noticeable during the WU, but not nearly as bad as all week. The WU was a bit too fast, but honestly, I was too excited for M Tempo to slow down. Got started on the first mile and it clicked off at 7:00. So I said, alright M Tempo is 7:00 now based on the first interval. Let's hit 7:00 for the next 7. Stayed relatively blind and just continued to trust the effort.

6:58, 7:05, 7:02.

I was starting to struggle as a I rounded the corner on mile 3.5 of 8. This is when I hit the "aid station". I convinced myself I was not going to be able to maintain pace and needed to take a short break at the "aid station". Then at the last second, I said, nope keep running. It was a split decision and I was hopeful I could work on the mental game. I really really wanted to stop. But I just said, if you stop you might be able to speed up, but what's to say you'll actually fail if you keep going. Let's go for it!

6:55, 7:10, 7:02, 6:58

I did make it for another few miles, but I did eventually stop and take a break. Just needed a few seconds to reset.

All in all, a solid first M Tempo run back. I averaged a 7:00 min/mile through the 8 miles. The HR was solid as well. M Tempo is usually 148-152 historically. Today's run was 151. So my effort was right on target with the HR.

A solid week overall, but it's probably time for a few adjustments to pace and number of hard days per week.
Nice week! Take care of that hamstring, gotta stay healthy for your Chicago BQ :-)

Hi Dopey Badger. I'm a long time lurker (just tech shy), but have been admiring your work and your plans from afar. I was hoping to get some help on a training plan for September Tunnel Light marathon. I'm sure you are swamped, but any hope for me? I would have private messaged you, but I'm not even sure how to do that. Thanks very much, I'm so impressed with all you do to help others achieve their running dreams!

Hi Dopey Badger. I'm a long time lurker (just tech shy), but have been admiring your work and your plans from afar. I was hoping to get some help on a training plan for September Tunnel Light marathon. I'm sure you are swamped, but any hope for me? I would have private messaged you, but I'm not even sure how to do that. Thanks very much, I'm so impressed with all you do to help others achieve their running dreams!

Hi @thumper2

:wave:

and

:welcome:

Thanks for reading! I'd be more than happy to help and I always can find more time. To PM me, you'll need to have at least 10 posts on the DIS. You are more than welcome to post 10 times in this thread if you'd like. Talk about yourself, or the weather, or something in sports, or running. Any topic will do. Once you get to 10 posts, then in the upper right hand portion of the DIS website interface you'll see a tab called "Inbox"

Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 11.46.10 AM.png

It should be right next to your DISname. Click "Inbox" and the click "Start a new conversation" in the lower right hand corner of that tab.

Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 11.46.56 AM.png

Type in my user name as the recipient to the message and you should be all set.

As an alternative, once you get to 10 posts then I should be able to write a PM to you.

Excited to help!

Aww, thanks so much for the warm welcome! Here's post number two, I'll try not to be annoying in the next few days getting my post count up :)

Looks like much-deserved love coming your way Billy! Happy to be part of the family thanks for taking me in and making me feel at ease :) Work got a little nuts yesterday, so just now checking back in.

Looks like much-deserved love coming your way Billy! Happy to be part of the family thanks for taking me in and making me feel at ease :) Work got a little nuts yesterday, so just now checking back in.

Thanks! So generally speaking what kind of work do you do?

I'm an attorney, but also a runner, wife, mom of two girls, big reader and nerd lover of all things Disney :).
What about you?

I work at the University of Wisconsin Department of Biochemistry in a Vitamin D lab. Also, a father of one, read only running books, and actually just tolerate Disney World because my wife loves and adores it. I do like certain aspects of Disney (like Marvel movies and Princess movies to name just a few).

I work at the University of Wisconsin Department of Biochemistry in a Vitamin D lab. Also, a father of one, read only running books, and actually just tolerate Disney World because my wife loves and adores it. I do like certain aspects of Disney (like Marvel movies and Princess movies to name just a few).
Wow! No wonder, you are so good at what you do with the training plans. I'm a research nerd but only on stuff I enjoy, was never that good at math or science or numbers. There is definitely a science to running and training. I've read up some about the Hanson method and others, (started out with Hal Hidgdon) but after a while I get overwhelmed. Looking forward to your help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter