To ADR, or not ADR. That is the question.

KelNottAt

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
We've pretty much decided to go with the dining plan for our trip August 12 - 17. (We're DVC-ing, so it's not free for us.)

Do you think it's vital that we make ADR's? I mean, I kinda have our TS restaurants sketched out. But, I'm reluctant to make reservations for fear of surrendering all spontaneity.

Has anyone been successful getting into a DDP TS restaurant as a walk-in?
Are guests allowed to book 2 restaurants for the same meal in order to "play it by ear?" (I wouldn't do it unless it was allowed.)

For background, we're basically "easy eaters." Definitely not "foodies." To us, meals are just starvation prevention. That's why I'm really not into a big ADR frenzy. We'd be happy with 2 or 3 TS during our 5-night stay. But, we're trying the DDP b/c it's a break-even money-wise compared to our usual vacation dining budget. Plus, the rest of our family reunion is getting the DDP, so we might as well go with the flow and make it easy when we dine together.

Thanks,

Went to do walk ups before tried several different restaurants and was told there was nothing available at any of the places we tried. Now it was the busiest time of the year though. (Dec 05) But from what I been reading on these boards its getting harder and harder to do walk ups. Plus you are going down during free dining so I dont know if I would chance it but thats just me.

People are not having luck walking up to TS restaurants w/o ADR's. Make yours very soon. People are reporting signs at the park entrances (at opening) that say all TS are booked for the day. I would hate to get to FL with the free plan (or any plan) and not be able to eat anywhere I wanted. I would also not want to eat burgers all week when a little planning could mean better meals for the same $.
Booking 2 adr"s- you can, but disney has cancelled them on a few people lately. Not a risk I would be willing to take but some still think it is worth the risk.
Have a great Vacation!

Your question should really be "to Eat or not to Eat"at a TS restaurant.
It is completely unlikely that you would be able walk up to get a seating at any TS restaurant: the reason being that the Dining plans are selling extremely well.
You could use your TS credit at a counter service if you did not want to book any ADR's.

You should definately make ADR's for any TS meal you want to have. Especially since you are going during free dining.

I was wondering about this too.We are going 09/14-22 I only have one ADR for chef mickeys. We went last year during free dining and didnt have and ADRs and had no problems. We however only ate at the parks and our resort.

Make your ADRs as soon as possible. You are going in "free dining" time, the restaurants may be mobbed!

There is no downside to making ADRs. You know that you have a sit down meal somewhere. If you get there and want to change restaurant/time, call and see if anything is open. If so, you can change. If not, at least you have a dinner.

Would you rather have a scheduled meal or take the chance that you will get very few opportunities to eat TS meals in the parks? Up to you. If I were paying for the DDP, I wouldn't take that chance - you can eat CS for a lot cheaper.

I'd think you'd waste LESS time having to schedule around an ADR than searching for an available TS.

'm reluctant to make reservations for fear of surrendering all spontaneity.

You'll be losing a lot of it anyway because by not making them, you'll be locked out of several places.

MAKE ADRS PEOPLE

I was there last year during free dining and people were turned away ALL DAY AND NIGHT at TS places!!

It is a whole new ballgame, esp for free dining, because serveral places I was going for in Aug (like LeCellier) I had to book at off times or book two tableS!

5 MONTHS IN ADVANCE!!

You will regret not making them. Make extra if you need to but have some and do a schedule and do your best.

I went during Presidents' Day week this year (admittedly very busy) and couldn't get anything walkup. However, I was able to get a couple of reservations by arranging them at my resort--albeit for the last part of my trip.

Well, thanks everyone.

I followed your advice and made some ADRs this morning. For 2 dinners I was allowed to double-book us so we'll have options.

We were completely shut out of LeCellier. Doesn't matter to me, but my sister will be disappointed. She was in charge of picking the one restaurant for all 10 of us to eat a farewell dinner togehter. That's what she picked. Oh well, maybe it's a blessing b/c Le Cellier couldn't put all of us at one table anyway. Spoodles is now our fall back. Something tells me she'll try to find something nicer, which is fine.

KelNottAt said:
Well, thanks everyone.

I followed your advice and made some ADRs this morning. For 2 dinners I was allowed to double-book us so we'll have options.

We were completely shut out of LeCellier. Doesn't matter to me, but my sister will be disappointed. She was in charge of picking the one restaurant for all 10 of us to eat a farewell dinner togehter. That's what she picked. Oh well, maybe it's a blessing b/c Le Cellier couldn't put all of us at one table anyway. Spoodles is now our fall back. Something tells me she'll try to find something nicer, which is fine.

Keep trying Le Cellier if that's where you really want to go. There may be cancellations. We had a group of 16 last year and we were all seated "together," that is, at 3 4-person tables right next to each other running along the back wall (with a common bench seat along the wall) and the adjoining 4-person table at the corner (the 4 tables were in an "L" shape). It was great! Your group could easily fit at 3 4-person tables against the wall. They always say they can't guarantee you'll be together, but our group (which ranged from 12 to 20 people depeanding on the meal and date) was always seated together - at WCC, Ohana, CRT, Le Cellier, 1900 Park Fare, Sci-Fi (in cars right next to each other), etc.

Did you create a Grand Gathering number for your group? I had the best luck going through the Grand Gathering number for dining reservations for our large group. You only need 8 people to be a Grand Gathering, and I think they treat you special. For example, all of our rooms were right next to one another at AS Music, top floor, non-pool side, just as I requested.

For our trip last year during free dining, I made two reservations every day, usually a late breakfast/early lunch and a dinner. That way we had choices of where to use our DDP credits. We just cancelled the ones we decided not to use, usually a day or so in advance.

Have a great trip!

KelNottAt said:

Is this "allowed"???? I called this AM knowing what I wanted and couldn't get in - I wonder if there are alot of double-bookings for September??????

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter