Title Chosen: World of Friendship! October 2017 Girls Getaway: Aloha to the Poly/ MCO Hyatt p33-4

Love seeing your pictures from F&W. I totally forgot most of what we ate, so it's a good memory.

I really did enjoy roaming around the world sampling bits of food from here and there. It was so great to do that with you and Nannette so we could share. It was also fun to run into different people at F&W.

I was pleased with the results from this little nature photoshoot. From Heron in, I won’t hesitate to break for birds.

:rotfl2: Felt like I was on the Jungle Cruise for a few paragraphs there.:rotfl:

It was a really freaky experience- I was so hyper-focused on keeping track of all the kids that I lost the one I was holding in my arms.

I did that a few times when I worked at a childcare center. It's easy to do!

“This is going to sound weird, but can we take a picture of your Paella? We just got this but forgot to take a picture before eating it”

Not weird. Not weird at all!

Snap away.

They probably picked one of the few groups of people standing around with that dish that wouldn't think that was weird at all. Us DISers know the importance of a good food photo!

This was a really neat space to take a break, charge electronics or grab a complimentary soft drink.

That's a very cool space. A new perspective of the park (at least for me).

Glad you were able to get some food in at Epcot after hitting up all those attractions and shows in the Magic Kingdom! You guys did a lot that day!

Baby blue.

Ooooo! That is the color of my dream vehicle! Baby blue (or robin's egg blue) '68 or '69 Mustang.

You go snap away to your heart's content. :)

Will do! I'll snap until I snap!

That's called sausage and eggs. ;)

That sounds easy!

But I think I will jazz it up a bit. I have one of those egg slicers- so maybe a couple of slices of hard-boiled egg, sandwiched in between sausage rounds, dipped in egg and breadcrumb and fried.

Not that I'm trying to steal your trip report recipe idea (although I should)

I'll take the mushrooms. You can have the rest of the stuff you mentioned.

Split the mushrooms and we have a deal!

::yes::

Unfortunately not. I will be there the first weekend in November for the wine and dine half marathon.

That makes sense! You will have plenty of time to hit a Halloween party in the future when you don't have to work around that pesky school schedule!

:cheer2:

Great pics as you approached Epcot on the monorail! Sounds like a nice time sampling some F&W eats! And a nice treat stopping in the DVC lounge!

Thank you!

I love that part of the monorail ride where you get a little EPCOT preview.

My favorite way to dine is to try lots of different things, so Food & Wine is perfect for me!

It was fun checking out the lounge.

::yes::

Dee!! I am all caught up on your review.

:welcome: and thanks for reading!

:goodvibes

Love seeing your pictures from F&W. I totally forgot most of what we ate, so it's a good memory.

I really did enjoy roaming around the world sampling bits of food from here and there. It was so great to do that with you and Nannette so we could share. It was also fun to run into different people at F&W.

That is one of the reasons to take pictures of food.

I have a friend who is very amused when I post or show pictures of meals I have on vacation. I tell her "I paid a lot for that meal. I am going to take a picture so I can remember it forever!"

It was really fun to share with you and Nannette, although I did try to minimize the possibility of Nannette passing the plague along to me. You were much braver during the trip, and I was glad that did not come back to bite you!

:scared1:

:rotfl2: Felt like I was on the Jungle Cruise for a few paragraphs there.:rotfl:

Instead of a "3 week journey" I'll take you on a "3 month tour" (that has already lasted longer than that)

I did that a few times when I worked at a childcare center. It's easy to do!

That makes me feel better.

They probably picked one of the few groups of people standing around with that dish that wouldn't think that was weird at all. Us DISers know the importance of a good food photo!

Good point- I wonder how many people would find that weird.

That's a very cool space. A new perspective of the park (at least for me).

It was awesome to get to go into an "exclusive" space at EPCOT.

Glad you were able to get some food in at Epcot after hitting up all those attractions and shows in the Magic Kingdom! You guys did a lot that day!

It was a great morning at MK and afternoon at EP, and we still had another park to explore that night.

Ooooo! That is the color of my dream vehicle! Baby blue (or robin's egg blue) '68 or '69 Mustang.

Mustang it was not.

Will do! I'll snap until I snap!

Oh, snap!

But I think I will jazz it up a bit. I have one of those egg slicers- so maybe a couple of slices of hard-boiled egg, sandwiched in between sausage rounds, dipped in egg and breadcrumb and fried.

Okay... that sounds.... pretty darned good.

Not that I'm trying to steal your trip report recipe idea (although I should)

:laughing:

But I was wondering what to ask for next. Maybe breakfasts... hmmmm....

Split the mushrooms and we have a deal!

Deal!

:grouphug:

So far fall/October has been my favorite time. The only time I have been when the parks were decked out was the January trip when I was helping Teena packed. Main Street was gorgeous with decorations and I couldn't believe Hollywood Studios was still decorated on January 10! I haven't seen the resorts decorated, though.

:santa:

I'm a big fan of Tainted Love, but I think my favorite One Hit Wonder has to be that gem from 1982: Come on Eileen by Dexys Midnight Runners!

:rockband:

“Come on Eileen “always makes me think of summer :)
A traveling amusement fair came to a leisure center near where I lived when I was 16 or so and blasted it out all day long, or so it seemed! My best friend at the time was called Eileen so we used to break into dancing a jig every time we heard it lol
Mind you, I’ve enjoyed the wee trip back to the 80s. Loved that time, music-wise at least, between Soft Cell, Human League, Dexys and Madness it was a great time to be a teenager :charac2::dancer:

My favorite is coming up, next day.

I love the concept of a Scotch egg. I have never dined at Rose & Crown, but I really should- I would love to try the Fish 'n Chips there and see how they do on the egg.
Oh God don’t do it!! Please save yourself!! The takeout fish supper from Yorkshire fish n chip shop is great but we were so, so disappointed in the Rose and Crown’s food. Mediocre at best on the 3 occasions we’ve tried it over the last 5/6 years. I keep thinking it will get better and giving it another go but never again. Nothing like good pub grub :sick:
It was fun going into an "exclusive" space. I never went to the Disney Visa lounge (which I think is/was above the American pavilion)

~Ninja is very talented and puts a lot of work into her photos.

Both the space and ninja’s photos are amazing :thumbsup2

It was really fun to share with you and Nannette, although I did try to minimize the possibility of Nannette passing the plague along to me. You were much braver during the trip, and I was glad that did not come back to bite you!

:scared1:

I don't usually worry too much about getting sick from others. I figure if it is going to happen I can't really stop it. BUT... I do shudder at the thought of using an airplane washroom so I was most concerned about not being sick for the hours when I would be on the plane going home. I was a bit concerned about sharing a bed with her, but my temptation to stay in a nice Disney bed was stronger. In the end I didn't get sick at all. (Whew!)

We did have one trip, back in 2007, where I got some kind of food poisoning on our last night. It made for a terrible last day. Our flight didn't leave until 9:30 pm. I was so sick that day that I couldn't do anything. My husband and son were fine so they went over to MK and had a great time. I stayed back at the WL and after getting as late a check out as possible, I just moved from couch to couch to rocking chair all around the WL lobby until it was time to head to the airport. While being sick without a bed to lay in isn't fun, WL lobby is one of the nicer place to be confined to if all you can do is just sit all day. There are so many nooks to relax in that in the end it wasn't too bad.

That is funny! It must be "Year of a Million Overlooked Attractions"
YES!!! :lmao:

It really is fun to have unexpected DIS meetings and moments. I actually had a woman recognize me while our families were dining at Cowfish in Universal and another woman saw me when my family was vacationing in the Bahamas in Atlantis.
That's so cool! I think that's my goal in life - to be recognized randomly in the parks because of the Dis :goodvibes::yes::

monorail-is-a-ride-jpg.311279
Agreed!

I love taking pictures of EPCOT as the train circles the p
I do, too! In January my family wanted to stick to MK and AK, but I forced everyone to do the Epcot monorail loops so we could "go into" Epcot ;):laughing:

“This is going to sound weird, but can we take a picture of your Paella? We just got this but forgot to take a picture before eating it”

Not weird. Not weird at all!
Little did they know, they were talking to Disers, taking pictures of food is what we do! :rotfl2:

Then, Janet and I were in for the biggest treat of all- Nannette took us up to the DVC lounge above the Imagination pavilion.
What?! I don't know that I knew this existed!??! :confused3:thumbsup2 How cool!!!

Take me to the River

We arrived at Animal Kingdom around 6 pm. Our main priority for the evening was to see Rivers of Light, but we had a few minutes to spend walking around Pandora.

DSCF9753.jpg

IMG_8820.jpg

It was packed!

IMG_8822.jpg

IMG_8823.jpg

We went into a gift shop and it was wall-to-wall people. We got a closeup look at a pet banshee but we all managed to hang onto the hundred bucks * (clarification, $59.99) or so it would take to bring one of these cuties home (Perch sold separately)

DSCF9760.jpg

We wanted to get to the RoL stadium about an hour before showtime, so we started to make our way over. None of us knew exactly where the theatre entrance was, and we went totally the WRONG way, through Africa to Asia, where they routed us past the Nemo theatre to an entrance near Dinoland USA.

We would have been much better off going through Discovery Island.

We found seats and settled in for the 60 minute wait to showtime. We were kind of hungry, and I think Nannette went off to try to find popcorn, but there was none for sale within the bounds of the show and she was afraid if she left she wouldn’t be let back in.

I felt really badly for the families around us with young kids. They were really restless waiting for the show to start.

Waiting with a friend…

DSCF9762.jpg

DSCF9771.jpg

DSCF9768.jpg

As others have said, I found the show to be sort of “meh” Not much of a storyline. The floats were neat to look at. We didn’t have a great vantage point for the water projections.

After the show let out, we headed back to Pandora since this would be our only chance to see it after dark.

I don’t have a single picture worth posting!

We caught a very small part of the Tree of Life awakening on the way out.

DSCF9795.jpg

We left the park and returned to Saratoga Springs. We hadn’t had much to eat since snacking around the world that afternoon, so we went to the food court. I got some potato salad to have with a sandwich I made back in the room.

The next day would be a busy one. Our last full day. Moving to a new resort. And an attempt to visit 4 theme parks.

Next Up: So they loaded up the truck and moved to the Poly (Nesian, that is) (Volcano Pools) (Tiki Bars)

Last edited:
Pandora is just great to walk around in. I bought a Banshee when I was there opening weekend. They were cheaper then so I felt better about spending the money. I am a big fan of RoL even though many find it lackluster. Excited to hear about the next resort and the 4 parks attempt!

The floats in RoL look beautiful but i can't imagine how I'd convince anyone in my family to give that much time to waiting on the show. You'd think they'd be selling snacks to their seated,captive audience wouldn't you! I love that you remembered a friend <3
Glad to have seen this through your eyes so I don't need to worry if I miss it on future trips :thumbsup2
I love how convenient it seems to be to do a little in-house catering while staying at SSR. Sounds like you trip was the perfect mix of self-catering and dining out. :goodvibes

Last edited:
We got a closeup look at a pet banshee but we all managed to hang onto the hundred bucks or so it would take to bring one of these cuties home
How ever did you manage such restraint?! :laughing:

As others have said, I found the show to be sort of “meh” Not much of a storyline. The floats were neat to look at.
I had a FP to see it back in August but it was kinda raining and I kinda wasn't feeling it, so I have yet to see it. But given everyone's "glowing" reviews (;);)), I don't know that I'm in a hurry either. I do enjoy the pictures, though! So thanks for that! :thumbsup2

After the show let out, we headed back to Pandora since this would be our only chance to see it after dark.
Isn't Pandora especially beautiful at night?! :goodvibes

Those banshees are now about $100?! Yikes! I thought they were $60 or $70 when Pandora first opened.

I haven't been to AK in a few years as we skip it altogether on shorter trips, so haven't seen any of the nighttime attractions. I really want to see the Tree of Life Awakening, though. Rivers of Light certainly doesn't seem to get many raving reviews.

Love your Beverly Hillbillies reference!

Those banshees are now about $100?! Yikes! I thought they were $60 or $70 when Pandora first opened.

I haven't been to AK in a few years as we skip it altogether on shorter trips, so haven't seen any of the nighttime attractions. I really want to see the Tree of Life Awakening, though. Rivers of Light certainly doesn't seem to get many raving reviews.

Love your Beverly Hillbillies reference!
Banshees are $59.99. A perch is extra.

Our main priority for the evening was to see Rivers of Light,

How do you feel about that now?

It was packed!

That place just draws them in...

We got a closeup look at a pet banshee but we all managed to hang onto the hundred bucks or so it would take to bring one of these cuties home

:sad2:

I don't get it. I saw grown men wearing them. Really? Gonna wear that to the office? Impress the boss or clients? "Ooh! Is that real?"

I don't really have a problem if others want one. You can spend your money any way that makes you happy (isn't that why we're all here, anyway?) But it's not for me. Not at a fraction of the cost.

(Perch sold separately)

:lmao:

None of us knew exactly where the theatre entrance was, and we went totally the WRONG way,

Whoops!

We were kind of hungry, and I think Nannette went off to try to find popcorn, but there was none for sale within the bounds of the show and she was afraid if she left she wouldn’t be let back in.

Shoulda brought Ninja with you.

I felt really badly for the families around us with young kids. They were really restless waiting for the show to start.

I hear that. I made sure my kids had treats before (or shortly after) they sat down for long waits.

Dory looks.... mean.

As others have said, I found the show to be sort of “meh” Not much of a storyline.

I keep hearing that. I don't think I've yet to hear a "wow" review.

That place is spectacular after dark. They really did a good job.

I don’t have a single picture worth posting!

Well... poop!

We caught a very small part of the Tree of Life awakening on the way out.

That's cool too. :)

I got some potato salad to have with a sandwich I made back in the room.

mmmmmm... potato salad.

Should make some soon. Haven't in a long time.

The next day would be a busy one. Our last full day. Moving to a new resort. And an attempt to visit 4 theme parks.

Holy cow! That's one full day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter