Tips for First Timers: Going Mon. 12/4 - Thur. 12/7

bethannie203

Mouseketeer
My DH, MIL, FIL and I are going to DLR for the first time! We have been to DW many times, so we have been doing our research. We are staying at Castle Inn & Suites. Hitting the parks starting late Monday afternoon on Dec 4th and will be there through Thursday night. We were wondering what all tips you might have for us? Crowd levels, places to eat, Christmas must dos, etc.

Thanks!!!

You will enjoy DL but it does have a different vibe than WDW. Use the old-school FastPass system as much as possible. Be prepared for some long lines and cramped walkways, however for some rides, like POTC, there is no FP so the lines move much faster (also POTC is quite a bit better at DL so make sure to check it out). Pay attention to the small details, and check out the facade for It's a Small World and wait for the projection show. They do a Christmas one but I don't know the exact timing. It's short and frequent though. For places to eat, I like Cafe Orleans a lot and I love the Pacific Wharf Bakery at DCA where they bake the sourdough bread. It smells like heaven in there! In general I have always found the food better at DLR vs WDW.

Have fun!

MaxPass is your new bff. Maybe skip it Mon since you're only there half day.

Be at the park at rope drop. Don't rope drop the park that has early entry- defeats the purpose if the park is already full! (Also, as soon as your ticket is scanned you can pull your first fastpass if you have MP.)

If you have an early morning entrance included with your ticket USE IT. It's only good on select mornings for Disneyland Park and is GREAT. (Very different from WDW in that aspect imho.)

If you want table service Dining make ADRs now.

My DH, MIL, FIL and I are going to DLR for the first time! We have been to DW many times, so we have been doing our research. We are staying at Castle Inn & Suites. Hitting the parks starting late Monday afternoon on Dec 4th and will be there through Thursday night. We were wondering what all tips you might have for us? Crowd levels, places to eat, Christmas must dos, etc.

Thanks!!!
That week the park hour for DL are until 12am.
When we are there for these hours we like to open the parks, take a mid-day nap/break and then close the park.
Magic Morning 7am openings are the best. While there will be people showing up for the 7am, it's relatively easy to get so much done in that first hour.
Use it on the first morning you have. My group has been known to poop out for 7am openings at the tale end of a trip.

Make any dining reservations now. If plans change once you're there you can cancel.

Geemo

After being there yesterday, I will give you a head's up that it gets extremely crowded as soon as the sun goes down. It actually feels like everyone who works in the area goes to Disneyland after work. It will taper off later around 9pm. I had what I consider manageable crowds all day until the sun went down. Then, I felt like I spent more time dodging people than actually doing anything.

You say you will start in the late afternoon - don't get scared off. Remember that the crowds will start to die off around 9pm. A couple cool things I happened to be in the right place at the right time for was the lighting of It's A Small World and of the castle. I just happened to be in those areas during those times. You may enjoy viewing those.

It reads strange to type this after this record heat week.....but it could be cold, as in glove and hat wearing cold in the evenings, your dates could have a few windy nights also. Wednesday will be your best day , Monday the worst as you are dealing with left over folks from the CP over the weekend. And if y0u are coming in on Sunday, you can always visit DTD.

Thank you SO much for all of these great tips everyone!! We have literally been dreaming of Disneyland every night we are so excited! :D

Also... they're doing hand-made candy canes at Candy Palace on Wednesday from park open until about 1:30 in the afternoon. If you want to buy one, you'll need to get a wristband the moment the park opens. They're distributed in the front of Candy Palace. If nothing else, definitely check out how they're made. It's really fun to watch. I plan to be there too :-).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter