Thoughts on reimbursement for dues?

They definitely have figured out the way to keep their commission higher as it's based on price per point as I recall and all the rest is just reimbursements that the commission isn't calculated on.

However, they are supposed to be acting as a transaction broker representing both buyer and seller in the real estate transaction. It sounds to me like maybe they are violating that in some way? Maybe not as I'm not positive about their responsibilities as a real estate agent but they are definitely representing themselves over any buyers.
Aren't they bound to act as a Fiduciary, just as in the normal Real Estate market?
Is there a governing body for timeshare resellers?? - If so, I'd refer this reseller them to that body. That doesn't help you with your immediate purchase, but I'd look at other brokers; you're bound to find a better deal elsewhere. (IMHO)

Interesting discussion. In Florida, a real estate agent can be a transactional agent, in which case he is not a fiduciary to either buyer or seller, or a single party agent, in which case he is a fiduciary to the party with whom he has the single agent agreement. The presumption is that a real estate agent is acting as a transactional agent unless there is a specific single agent agreement.

Florida statutes, rather than having the agent situation rely mainly on common law fiduciary obligations, actually spell out a lot of the duties, to both the seller and the buyer, that the agent has in any transaction. One of those express statutory duties, applicable to both single agent and transactional agents, is to provide to the seller all offers to purchase unless the seller and the agent have agreed in writing that certain types of offers can be withheld. Thus, the agents mentioned in posts above would be committing illegal acts if they refused to provide offers from buyers to sellers that included provisions for payment of dues, unless there is a written agreement with the seller that allows the agent to withhold such offers.

Thus, I assume those agents have such written agreements with the sellers. Or the agents are being tricky. The obligation to provide an offer to the seller does not arise until the offer is made. So if the agent says he won't take an offer with terms relating to dues, and as a result the potential buyer does not submit such an offer, that would technically not be in violation of the statute, or at least not that particular provision of the statute, although if he has no agreement with the seller to withhold those types of offers, he might be in violation of his statutory duty to act honestly and fairly with the seller and the buyer.

Last edited:
Weird law in Florida. In Texas, Real Estate Agents are required to present all offers. But, I agree with everyone else, I would just keep looking...but I would also explain to the agent exactly why you aren't making an offer...it seems they are simply cutting into their own income potential.

For quite a few years now I've often seen listings not asking for the current years dues to be reimbursed once it gets to be the last month or two of the year. It's the one and only acknowledgement in resale I've ever seen about how dues are calculated and should be reimbursed. Not on all listings but it definitely shows up around this time of the year. Or maybe they it's sellers ways to get it sold before they have to pay the upcoming dues.

That’s what I’ve seen too. If you have a listing now, by the time closing comes around 2019 dues will have to be paid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!