Think of All The Joy You'll Find When You Leave the World Behind- Nov 2018 TR-updated 09/22/19 RL

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like. . . Wait a Minute! Day One, Part Two- The Magic Kingdom

Where were we? Ah, yes, we were leaving Egypt- I mean room 2339- to head down to the bus station to catch a bus to Magic Kingdom. I was teeming with delight, though I knew we had to get our pesky breakfast out of the way before we could walk through those glorious gates of my favorite park. While we were on the bus, we chatted with a very nice couple. They wanted to share their favorite encounters with us thus far, which was perfectly fine. When we reached The Magic Kingdom, we said goodbye to our new friends and headed toward security just to get to the monorail. The nice guard checked my small wallet/wristlet/thingy so that I didn't have to stand in line since we were just trying to get to another resort.

I don't know if any of you have noticed, but there are some steep inclines around the parks. Walking up toward the monorail made me feel like I was trying to ski backwards. We were the little engines that could. . . we think we can, we think we can! So, we found a nice compartment on the monorail and began our long journey around to The Polynesian. I love this resort, though I've never stayed here. I'm not a beach person, but I love the tropical theme. Up until recently, we had an amazing polynesian restaurant here at home.

Polynesian.jpg
It's just glorious.

We checked in to Kona and were seated 30 minutes earlier than our ADR. Yay! I started with some strong coffee to keep me going and Jason had juice. Boring.

konapot2.jpg macademiapancakes.jpg tongatoast.jpg

Bellies full, we stopped over in the merchandise shop for a moment. I got caught with a Stitch on my head. Little monster!
stitchhat.jpg
Okay, enough of that nonsense. I have a park to get to.

Okay, here we go. Back through security, which by the way, I liked the security at the monorail stops. I could have my bags checked and then just head toward the park instead of standing in the atrocious lines at the park gates. I thought it was much easier.

*Fast forward to The Magic Kingdom after uneventful monorail ride*

Alas! We are here! Oh, beautiful Magic Kingdom! Oh, wondrous fall decorations! Hold on! I'm coming!

I practically gallop through those ticket kiosks like a champion with my phone in hand, preparing for my abundance of fall wreaths and pumpkins galore. After all, it's only November 1st! Halloween was just yesterday!

I came to a screeching halt. What the----?
No ma'am. No sir. Where are the pumpkins? The scarecrows? What is all this green and red garbage? It's not Christmas! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Ugh.

How-The-Grinch-Stole-Christmas-image-how-the-grinch-stole-christmas-36237730-250-188.gif
But how?

I am in full sulk mode.
But, hark! There are the Main Street dancers! They're singing about autumn! Yes!
mainstreetusa.jpg mainstreetdancers.jpg
They're still in their little autumn costumes singing about falling in love in fall. . . while riding in their Christmas vehicle. Bah humbug, I say!
I've never heard this version before, but I really liked it. It was my last glimmer of hope when it came to grasping on to autumn. It was slipping away fast.

Up next: We had off to one of the lands. Where will we go first? Adventureland, Liberty Square, or Frontierland? What is the very first ride we do?

Resort hop count: 1

That’s great your room was available so early! The hallways are a mess at Boardwalk, especially on the Inn Side. Glad the bellman told you the trick to reduce it!

No kidding! Yes, I was grateful it was ready so quickly!

I so adore the boardwalk, though we were on the DVC side in October.it's interesting to see the rooms on the hotel side. VERY different! That report is ways away though as i have tp finish my August report soon. Sorry you were at the end of the hall, but looks like not too bad when you cut across the garden. We did a little exploring on that side in february and it does seem very peaceful. I can't say I noticed the issue with dingy hallways, the DVC side doesn't seem to have that problem.

I've heard the Villa side is better. It was very lovely and peaceful back there. We hardly ever saw anyone go back there.

I’m here! Sorry about the not so great CM when you checked in. :(. But your room looks lovely!
Yay! I'm glad you made it! Eh, it's alright. Maybe they were having bad days.

Joining in! Love your fur babies! Love your sense of humor - "since their feet are tapping along, ha!" My co-workers probably think I'm a little nuts laughing out loud in my cubicle :rotfl2: Can't wait for your next installment (love The Boardwalk - our favorite Disney hotel!)
If your co-workers don't think you're a little nuts, you're doing it wrong. I'm happy you are here!

was trying not to wake up my husband and drag him out of bed because he was the one doing all the driving (he won't let me drive) for our 10+ hour trip.
My husband prefers to do all the driving too. He is a very bad passenger.

If you're reading this and you're there, GET ONE NOW!

bbwolfepretzel-jpg.365869
We will def have to try this. Morgan loves her some pretzel, as you know!

This was the year I was finally going to get a candy apple! Did I ever get one?
Spoiler alert #3- no. :(
Bummer. But it truest is impossible to eat everything.

They were also pretty narrow when housekeeping had their carts out, making it difficult to navigate.
Ugh, yes.

When bell services brought up our luggage, he told us a little secret. The stairwell would take us down to the backside of the lobby. We could just simply walk across, up the stairs, and come inside by BelleVue Lounge. Well, that made it a little better.
Well, at least he was nice! It is always so jarring when you get a bad CM like that one at check in.

Joining in, I have heard of the long hallways at the Boardwalk. We stayed DVC and had a room right by the lobby, it was a great location! All your food so far looks so yummy!

I like the security at the monorail resorts to so easy when heading to MK!

I think it is a bummer when you arrive and are so happy and excited, and you are greeted by a not so friendly CM, yuck!

Glad you got your buttons and Happy Anniversary!

Joining in!

I'm intrigued, and need the answers to all of your questions…especially the one that totally changed your Disney vacations! I'm guessing a chance encounter with a DVC rep??:P

Once you got over your initial shock, weren't all the Christmas decorations just beautiful? We did the whole crossover from Halloween to Christmas last year, which was why we went earlier in October this time. I love both Halloween and Christmas at WDW, but I don't want them in the same trip o_O

She has trust and behavior issues, but we are working hard with her to help her through it.

Poor girl. Glad she found a loving home. We rescued 2 cats years ago - we were their 4th home. We came to understand why, but we were determined to be their forever home. They were/are the most loving cats I have ever had (one passed a couple years ago).

"Can I help you?" with the enthusiasm of a slug. Magical.

That is too bad. I know how much Disney prides itself on customer service/satisfaction.

Reluctantly, she pulled out our Happily Ever After buttons, told me that's what we could have for our anniversary, and tossed them on the counter with a clunk.

I mean really....If you don't like your job, find something else. I hope the rest of your trip was filled with friendly cast members.

was the stale smell.

I know this smell - believe this is part of what has turned me into a hotel snob. I like that hotels are starting to get away from all that carpeting.

My husband prefers to do all the driving too. He is a very bad passenger.
Jason just says I'm a bad driver. Between the two of us, though, I can tell you the record holder for wrecks is not me. Harumph!

We will def have to try this. Morgan loves her some pretzel, as you know!
She will love this! The mustard may have too much of a "grown-up" taste, but it's so good. I did feel like this was my first adult pretzel as I usually get Mickey pretzels. I know, that's weird..

Bummer. But it truest is impossible to eat everything.

Yes, it is, but you all know we were going into this with stuffed bellies before we even started. It literally was impossible for us to try everything we wanted. Have you ever watched the Harry Potter movies? Remember when the mean ol' aunt blew up like a balloon and floated away? I was afraid if I ate much more, that was going to happen to me.

Well, at least he was nice! It is always so jarring when you get a bad CM like that one at check in.
Jason wasn't having a magical experience on his end either as he and the initial guy that helped store the luggage had a moment of *******. I'm not sure what happened, but he was grumbling about this "not being so magical" so I didn't say anything about my experience. I wasn't going to let it deter us.

Joining in, I have heard of the long hallways at the Boardwalk. We stayed DVC and had a room right by the lobby, it was a great location! All your food so far looks so yummy!
Hi! I am so glad you stopped by. I've been told the DVC side is much better. Maybe we will find out someday!
I think it is a bummer when you arrive and are so happy and excited, and you are greeted by a not so friendly CM, yuck!
There were plenty of other nice people around. The housekeepers were always so friendly.

Glad you got your buttons and Happy Anniversary!
Thank you!

Wow! I didn't realize they switched everything over so fast! That's crazy!
It wasn't that fast on our honeymoon. We had a couple of days of fall before it gradually switched over back then.

Joining in!

I'm intrigued, and need the answers to all of your questions…especially the one that totally changed your Disney vacations! I'm guessing a chance encounter with a DVC rep??:P

I am so happy to see you! Now, now- don't get ahead of the story here! All things in due time.

Once you got over your initial shock, weren't all the Christmas decorations just beautiful? We did the whole crossover from Halloween to Christmas last year, which was why we went earlier in October this time. I love both Halloween and Christmas at WDW, but I don't want them in the same trip o_O

I don't know if I'm ready to answer that, ha! Okay, fine, yes, they were. It was a little exciting to come back each day and see what else had been added. It's coming on down the road, but we had a neat encounter at the GF with the gingerbread. I mean, no! It was horrible! Boo! (I'm watching Christmas movies on Hallmark as we speak.)

Poor girl. Glad she found a loving home. We rescued 2 cats years ago - we were their 4th home. We came to understand why, but we were determined to be their forever home. They were/are the most loving cats I have ever had (one passed a couple years ago).
If you could only see her right now. She is curled up on her "bink" (read: blanket she stole from me and shredded until it was hers) on the couch sound asleep like an angel. Thirty minutes ago we were trying to clip her nails and she was trying to eat my hand like dessert. Despite her oftentimes of fighting our affection, nearly every morning when I wake up she comes up to lay next to me and just gives me kisses. Doesn't it just feel your heart with joy to love a rescue? To give them the comfort and peace of knowing they will never have to go anywhere else? I'm glad you gave those cats their forever homes, and I'm sure the sweet baby you lost knew that he or she was loved. That is the best thing the little one could have asked for.

That is too bad. I know how much Disney prides itself on customer service/satisfaction.

I mean really....If you don't like your job, find something else. I hope the rest of your trip was filled with friendly cast members.
I didn't take it to heart much, even if it was my first impression of the resort. We encountered plenty of wonderful cast members throughout the entirety of our trip. One bad apple did not spoil the bunch.

I know this smell - believe this is part of what has turned me into a hotel snob. I like that hotels are starting to get away from all that carpeting.
It's funny because there were moments when I smelled that fresh, almost seaside smell of the rest of the resort that people talk about. Then, my nose would crinkle. Our room smelled fine, which is all that I cared about, really.

EDIT* So, I messed up these quotes, sorry!!! Oopsy. Just ignore the mess. . .

Fall/Halloween starts August 17th - Christmas starts November 1st. It's a Disney way of life.

Never had breakfast at the Kona cafe. We are sort of nervous about the Tonga Toast - it sounds almost too sweet. We'll get there someday. The Poly is one of my favorite resort stays, but the point cost for DVC is high, so we've only been their once because we try and stretch our points out.

Can't wait to hear more! Its a shame the girls at the front desk were so lackluster.

But Im glad the bellman gave you the tip about the stairs! Im sure that was much easier.

Can't wait to hear about the rest!

Hopping aboard. Looking forward to reading about your adventures. We have stayed at BWI once and were they very last room in the hallway also. We had a nice view of the Eiffel Tower in EPCOT but unfortunately it was also above the ESPN service area . We got to hear trash trucks and deliveries every day. I haven’t given it another chance since then. Maybe a different room location would change my opinion of the resort.

Hopefully your customer service will be more magical going forward.

I Want to Ride It All- Day One, Part Three

Hope you all had a blessed Thanksgiving (American friends--Canadian friends, I'm only a month late)! We enjoyed our time at home with family and guests. Yesterday, my mom and I shopped until I was practically crawling through the aisles. Is that dropping? Today, my husband is at work so I'm home watching Christmas movies and getting us back to our regular scheduled program here.

After we watched the opening show on Main Street, we turned to the left to decide which land we would venture into first. We stuck with old faithful and went to:

Adventureland.jpg

I don't know if I mentioned that it was really hot. Back home, it was starting to drop down to the 30s, but in Florida it was high 80s and low 90s. Ugh. Also, it was really sunny. I'm not complaining about the bright days, but I saw so many people in sweatshirts and long pants and worried their hypothalamus may be broken. Anyway, so we went on to find some kind of adventure, but it was too bright to stand out in line for the carpets and Jungle Cruise was close to an hour wait.

Pirates of The Caribbean was showing a 20 minute wait, but it was inside so we thought we'd go mingle with the pirates. It ended up only being about 10 minutes, but the air conditioning was nice. Davy Jones didn't make an appearance this time, but we did see the new scene with the red-head. No comment here. Our picture from the ride never showed up, bummer.

After our journey through Tortuga, we went over to Liberty Square to hang out with 999 happy haunts. The wait was 30 minutes, but it was shaded and we still had time to waste before our first FP. Jason was invited by the busts for a friendly conversation from the Other Side, but we didn't have time to stick around. There was a dance to attend!

HMBusts.jpg

At the end, we caught us a real "live" ghost. He switched my head with his and tossed it around. Don't worry, I didn't feel a thing!

We still had forever until our FP started. Well, as Big Thunder Mountain enthusiasts, we decided to just go standby. We waited for 20 minutes before we went on our rip-roaring adventure through the mountains. This is my favorite ride at MK, and we rode it as often as possible.

To continue with the mountain theme, we walked over to Splash Mountain. It was boasting a 35 minute wait, but the line was shorter than expected. 20 minutes later, we headed toward the laughing place. People were complaining about getting wet, even though there are signs of warning everywhere. Hello, it's a WATER ride, people. I guess some folks just can't be happy. We did appreciate the new ziplock bags they give out to protect phones and whatnot. So, we splashed down the mountain.

PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_414393968218 (1).jpeg
Look at our adorable matching Powerline shirts. If you don't know who Powerline is, please see me for a short presentation after the show.

Cooled off for the moment, we were finally able to head over to our first FP of the trip. I know you're all just teeming with anticipation to find out what it was so here we go:

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

I know, we've already done it so it's a bit anticlimactic. Just put us in the second seat this time and replay the first recording and, voila, you've got it!

Having worn out our welcome in Frontierland, we decided some classics were in store for us. While I later had a FP for It's a Small World (spoiler alert: I canceled it), we decided 15 minutes was reasonable and got in line. I enjoy this attraction, but it's not something I need to do again and again during the same trip. I do have to brag on my new phone as these were the most clear pictures I had ever taken on the ride. I decided not to post them as I feared seeing them may inspire the song in your heads and you may start throwing tomatoes at me when it gets stuck.

This was the first time we had seen our names at the end. I thought this was a cool touch, except E.T. told me to come back when I was about 5 or 6 over at "the other park."
Itssmallworldgoodbye.jpg

It was then time for our FP to Neverland. I've loved this ride as a child, but Jason just doesn't get the hype. He has nothing against it, but he doesn't understand why the line is always so long. Amateurs. What are you gonna do?

It was almost time for our very late 3:00 lunch at Tony's Town Square. So, we don't think the food is fantastic, but the restaurant is very pretty. We didn't have a lot of choice for ADRs at MK or in the surrounding areas for this day so I took it.

tonyfountain.jpg
We tried to get a photo of the paw prints in the concrete out front, but a stroller had so rudely blocked them.

Anyway, the servers were wearing these beautiful Lady and the Tramp cameos. I love cameos and Lady and the Tramp was one of my most beloved movies as a child. My dad loved it, too, so it makes it extra special. Anyway, I asked if the cameos were for purchase. She told me where to get them, but I never found them, sadly.

breadfromtonys.jpg tonysfagioli.jpg tonyfritomisto.jpg tonytrio.jpg tonytiramisu.jpg
I happened to look up from my meal and see my husband with his lip poked out sadly and a spaghetti noodle dangling from his mouth. He's missing our girls and thinking about the famous meatball scene from the movie. I snapped a photo of his weakened moment, but I've reached photo capacity for this post so you're all spared from the pity.

After our meal, we went back to Fantasyland as we had our last FP to use for the day. Since it was not yet time, we went to see my favorite mermaid and her prince. I am so happy they built this ride. My DVD from The Little Mermaid had the proposed ride-through, and I always hoped they would build it.

After we celebrated Ariel's happily-ever-after, we went to mine some gems for our last FP of the day at Seven Dwarves Mine Train. This isn't my favorite, but it's enjoyable enough and definitely a good use of a FP if you want to ride it.

I was starting to get an epic headache so we went back to The Boardwalk around 5:30 to rest. We had our anniversary dinner that night and, boy, were we in for a surprise when we got there!

Following along! :wave2:

Raeven! I haven't see you around in so long. I'm happy to see you~

Fall/Halloween starts August 17th - Christmas starts November 1st. It's a Disney way of life.

Never had breakfast at the Kona cafe. We are sort of nervous about the Tonga Toast - it sounds almost too sweet. We'll get there someday. The Poly is one of my favorite resort stays, but the point cost for DVC is high, so we've only been their once because we try and stretch our points out.

Back in 2015 for our honeymoon, we arrived 11/07 and still had a day or two of fall. It's alright. I still had a taste of pumpkin every now and then.

I understand the points are expensive for The Poly. It would be wonderful to stay there at least once, though.

Can't wait to hear more! Its a shame the girls at the front desk were so lackluster.

But Im glad the bellman gave you the tip about the stairs! Im sure that was much easier.

Can't wait to hear about the rest!

Welcome! I enjoyed reading your report so much!

following along! :)

Glad to have you here!

Hopping aboard. Looking forward to reading about your adventures. We have stayed at BWI once and were they very last room in the hallway also. We had a nice view of the Eiffel Tower in EPCOT but unfortunately it was also above the ESPN service area . We got to hear trash trucks and deliveries every day. I haven’t given it another chance since then. Maybe a different room location would change my opinion of the resort.

Hopefully your customer service will be more magical going forward.

Well, that just sounds terrible. I admit, it was very quiet on our end. I'm grateful for that, at least.

Sounds like a fun first day! Can't go wrong with the rides you chose! I agree with Tony's, the last time we went it was decent food, nothing special - but a nice stop in the park if you need to do a TS. (We mostly just skip TS in MK.)

An Encounter with an Old Friend- Day One, Part Four

This is mostly about food so there won't be much to say, but this night was very important.

We had an 8:50 reservation for Yachstman's Steakhouse. We ate there on our honeymoon and enjoyed it so much that we scheduled it again for our anniversary dinner. Originally, this was for Shula's but once we changed over to the dining plan we, sadly, dropped Shula's and picked up Yachtsman.

I had a horrible headache and did not feel well. We rested for a short while in the room before showering and getting ready for the evening. I had bought a black dress with a blue skirt that had silver emblems of the princesses such as an apple, book, etc. When I bought it, it did not fit. I forgot to try it on again so I was a little nervous, but exercise was paying off because it fit! We drove over to The Yacht Club since we were both dressed nicely and did not want to make the walk. We are not fans of this resort, with the exception of the pool area, and likely will not stay there in the future. I don't know. It's just too. . . uppity? for us? It's lovely, and I like nautical museums but I just don't want to stay at one. I don't know. I don't mean that in a negative way because people are all different and enjoy different things.

We checked in at the restaurant and went to sit outside by the pool. There were no chairs so we breezed through the gift shop before we got the text our table was ready. We sat right beside the little table in the front window where we sat last time. To our surprise, we had personalized menus.

YCmenu.jpg

That was a lovely touch because, at the end, our server rolled these up for us and tied them with ribbon so we could keep them.

Here is the most amazing part. I turned around and saw a newlywed couple sitting down to my left. I recognized her immediately as my old friend from long enough. We will call her D. Back in elementary and high school, her older sister was my best friend. We were always at each others' houses on the weekend. D always got me birthday presents even though I was her sister's friend. Now, she is all grown up and had just gotten married a few days before in Las Vegas. They were honeymooning at The Poly and the stars just lined up for us to be eating at the same place at the same time. We hugged for what seemed like forever, her new husband took our picture, and she told him we were like best friends growing up. I was so happy that I had tears in my eyes. I wish this sweet girl all the happiness in the world, and she was one of the best parts of my Disney story. We chatted a little more, but I tried to leave her alone to enjoy her meal. We hugged one more time before we parted ways, and I enjoyed seeing all her pictures later.

During our meal, we also saw Thomas. He was our server from our first time there, and he is an amazing gentleman. If we had been sitting just one table over at the little corner table, we would have been in his seating area. I am not saying anything negative about our waiter as he was kind, but Thomas is just above and beyond Disney standard. My husband called him over, shook his hand, and thanked him for taking such good care of us three years prior. He told him that he is what we hold as top of the line, and that meeting him was a joy. If we go back, we will request to be in his section again if that was allowed. If you go to this restaurant and you meet him, rest assured he will take good care of you. He is just spectacular.

Here are photos from our meal. I will write about these, of course, on the other report.
yachtsmanbread.jpg yachstmanbutter.jpg yachtsmansoup.jpg yachstmanfilet.jpg yachstmanstrip.jpg yachstmansundae.jpg yachstmananniversarydessert.jpg yachstmancake.jpg

I was feeling better. It was a wonderful anniversary. We walked out of the restaurant hand in hand and went back to the resort.

Resort hop: 2
Steps walked: 16,505 and 7.5 miles

Up next:
Breakfast at another resort before we're off to a park. Where are we going and which Fastpasses do we have for the morning?

:rotfl: Still been around. Our last trip was for HHN weekend so I put that on the Universal boards.
Anything upcoming?

Sounds like a fun first day! Can't go wrong with the rides you chose! I agree with Tony's, the last time we went it was decent food, nothing special - but a nice stop in the park if you need to do a TS. (We mostly just skip TS in MK.)
Yes! We haven't tried Skipper Canteen's, but I've heard good things about it. My husband just isn't interested. He'd rather go to Columbia Harbour House or Casey's.

I had bought a black dress with a blue skirt that had silver emblems of the princesses such as an apple, book, etc. When I bought it, it did not fit. I forgot to try it on again so I was a little nervous, but exercise was paying off because it fit!
Yay! Your dress sounds awesome, and that's even more exciting that it fit! :)

To our surprise, we had personalized menus.

ycmenu-jpg.366672

That was a lovely touch because, at the end, our server rolled these up for us and tied them with ribbon so we could keep them.
What a lovely touch!

Here is the most amazing part. I turned around and saw a newlywed couple sitting down to my left. I recognized her immediately as my old friend from long enough. We will call her D. Back in elementary and high school, her older sister was my best friend. We were always at each others' houses on the weekend. D always got me birthday presents even though I was her sister's friend. Now, she is all grown up and had just gotten married a few days before in Las Vegas. They were honeymooning at The Poly and the stars just lined up for us to be eating at the same place at the same time. We hugged for what seemed like forever, her new husband took our picture, and she told him we were like best friends growing up. I was so happy that I had tears in my eyes. I wish this sweet girl all the happiness in the world, and she was one of the best parts of my Disney story. We chatted a little more, but I tried to leave her alone to enjoy her meal. We hugged one more time before we parted ways, and I enjoyed seeing all her pictures later.
Oh my gosh that's amazing! What a lovely happenstance!!!!

I was feeling better. It was a wonderful anniversary. We walked out of the restaurant hand in hand and went back to the resort.
It sounds like it was a lovely anniversary dinner--I'm happy it was such a wonderful night for you two.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter