The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

My husband and I are headed to DL and VGC for the third year in a row in September and are taking with us a friend of mine who's never been and a friend of hers who I believe has been a couple times. We were able to get 4 nights in a one-bedroom using our Boulder Ridge points via some waitlists and a couple nights booked at 7 months from September 18-27 (VGC 19-23) and I get to go to my first ever Halloween Party on the 24th! We're very excited! I just put in requests for park view villas. Our first stay was in the DA Studio, our next trip we spend one night in a one bedroom and then moved to the studio next door with partial views of the parks. Hoping we get lucky again!

We have used Prime Now, they deliver to Bell Services, who can refrigerate things as well (we found this out when leaving and had left overs). Just call bell services after you get the notice it was delivered and ask them to bring it to your room (you must be present for them to deliver).

We own at Grand Californian and live about 13 miles away, so often when we stay we have left overs to take home, not usually a big deal, but the last trip we ended up getting free breakfast due to a room issue, so we we're taking extra time and it was actually an issue this time.

We went to DL for my 45th, 50th and have now decided to go for my 60th birthday in February. We just snagged a 1 bedroom on points for 5 days and are looking forward to this trip. The first 2 trips we stayed at GC so are familiar with the exits to DD and DCA.

Last edited:
Hoping to snag a 1bedroom for 2 nights at the end of March after we wrap up a 5 night Baja cruise on the Wonder. Right now the RAT shows wide availability for March for 1 bedroom (a bit less availability for a studio) so I'm hoping my chances are good at the 7 month mark (Aug 29th for me). Am I charmingly naive or just plain silly for thinking I'll get this? :rolleyes1pixiedust: We stayed at the Grand Dec 2017 (right before we became DVC members) and fell in love with it.:love:

I think it might be challenging-that week is spring break for many of us. Good luck!

Yeah I know, it's Spring Break for us too (we get two weeks and this is the very end of our second week) which is why we are doing the cruise. It's certainly not make or break if we don't stay at the Grand, we aren't even going to the parks this trip. If I can't the Grand then we will most likely spend some more time in San Diego (the cruise is round trip from there) before heading back to LAX for our flight (much cheaper for us to fly to LAX and then train/drive down to SD). Sorry didn't mean to ramble on ;-) Guess I'll just hope for a little bit of pixie dust and see what happens the closer I get to my 7 month window.

If you aren’t doing the parks, I’d skip the Grand personally-and I own there and love it. Perhaps splurge on the Hotel Del Coronado in SD instead?

If you aren’t doing the parks, I’d skip the Grand personally-and I own there and love it. Perhaps splurge on the Hotel Del Coronado in SD instead?
That's a really good idea! We have some banked points that expire Aug 31/19 that we have no other time to use (due to other trips being booked and points already allotted lol) which is why I thought a couple of nights at the Grand would 'kill' those points. But I could rent those points and use the cash in San Diego instead ;-)

Can anyone who's recently stayed at VGC comment on the current self-parking situation for DVC members? Looks like a large portion of the lot across the street between PPH and DLH is being used to stage construction equipment and materials for the new hotel. If what remains of the lot is full, is there overflow parking provided somewhere else?

Thanks!

Can anyone who's recently stayed at VGC comment on the current self-parking situation for DVC members? Looks like a large portion of the lot across the street between PPH and DLH is being used to stage construction equipment and materials for the new hotel. If what remains of the lot is full, is there overflow parking provided somewhere else?

Thanks!
I think the parking structure at PPH is being used.

Just got back from our first stay at VGC - room was gorgeous, resort was gorgeous, sofa bed was like a board... definitely NOT good, and shower had serious temperature issues during the day (it was fine at 6am, which made me doubt it was the shower itself...). Room was huge though and super convenient to the pool (1st floor).

Disneyland Express couldn't drop off at GC, had to go to Paradise Pier Hotel and walk (or be shuttled) over due to construction. On reverse trip, PPH to LAX... Disneyland Express never showed! Multiple parties stranded. Ended up taking a cab and am now dealing with DE to try to get my $ back. Definitely a headache we didn't need!

20180712_081359.jpg 20180709_193900.jpg 20180709_193851.jpg

We will be staying at GCV for the first time in about a week. I tried to search this thread for my answer, but there is a lot of info on here! :) Is online check in available for GCV? We are used to checking in online and making room requests online as our home resorts are at Disney World. Thanks!

...Is online check in available for GCV? We are used to checking in online and making room requests online as our home resorts are at Disney World.
There is no online check in.

Send your villa requests to DVC member services, in advance.
My preference is to send the email through the DVC site.

Weird question here. When we were there last month my 3 year old daughter used a swim vest they had at the pool as it worked really well! I didn’t think to look at the brand though, can anyone find out what it is? Thank you very much!

VGC coffee maker question: do the studios still have drip coffee makers or has Disney switched over to Keurigs?

Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts