The Scooter Strikes Back-A F&W 2017 TR- Bonus Features, Link to new TR 3/22

And I even pointed it out to you!

Right!!! Now I remember!

OK, I'm counting on you to remember, cause I already forgot what you're holding me to! :laughing:

Don't look at me! And I ain't gonna go back and look either!

No not really, not like a shot of vodka!

:rolleyes1

Well if someone wasn't so secretive... :rolleyes1

who... me?

:snooty:

Fran still can't call him "he". She keeps calling him "she".

He/she may take offense!

Yeah but can you tell me who doesn't like who?

Nope! :laughing:

They don't particularly like you lifting up their tails.

:eek: No! They sure don't!

Thank you! It feels really good to be getting rent checks for all our apartments.

I bet! :)

It had a strong alcohol taste. There were three different kinds of alcohol in there.

Then I probably wouldn't care for it.

::yes:: And I can go with you!

That would be fun! :)

It's a fabulous restaurant, as you will see in a few more months....

Okay!

I believe it was more citrusy.

Ah. Lime green perhaps?

Well if you go to Steakhouse 55, it is now on their menu. I think he was testing it out on us.

Have to keep that in mind. But almost certainly will forget!

HEy caught up. I apologize for missing the latest update...too bad that you are not going to be around for a meet after the cruise, but John Williams is pretty awesome. When I was a kid he was the director of the Boston Pops, but even though it was only 90 minutes I never got to see him. (Not that I would've been interested at 17 even though I was pretty obsessed with his soundtrack stuff.) DD loves soundtracks too, and we went to John Williams night at the BPO (This time Buffalo Philharmonic.), but of course no ACTUALL John Williams here. DD would be very jealous.

It's been a thing for us for a while. I remember seeing him on the Catch Me If You Can soundtrack. It had an awesome saxophone solo. But i think we had seen him even before that.

I so want to try Steakhouse 55, but we have promised DD next time we get out there she really, really wants to do Blue Bayou, so not sure we could afford both.

I can understand that, although budgeting on vacation is something i cant quite get Fran to wrap her head around. She just thinks we shou ld sell more stuff on eBay. At least we have that to fall back on!

Caught back up again. I had so much fun last weekend...that holiday food looks amazing!

Jill in CO

I wish we had the time when you were there to visit the booths!

I was wondering the same. Champagne can be pretty innocuous for me!

It mostly gives me a headache, unless it's proper champagne.

Yay!! 3 portions for me!

Fine take all of it!

Oh poor baby kitty, I thought he was getting better - I must have misread. Please extra cuddles for the sweet baby.

No i didnt post about the colllapsed lung. Next update.

:rolleyes1

(But I have not given up corn chips)

Well then we could have done the queso!

Give me apple anytime!

OK, so I seem to be saying this before every update that I post, and I know that I still have a few more TRs to catch up on, but it’s been a while since I’ve updated with Bonus features and this one has been in the hopper for a while now. I promise that I will be over to your TRs before the next update, and hopefully even sooner than that!

In our last IRL update we learned the Amelia/Berlioz was a he not a she, but I forgot to give a real update on his health issues. The pneumonia in his lungs is improving. He is on two types of kitty inahalers twice daily. But there has been no improvement on his collapsed lung. We are going to continue his treatment and see the vet in another six to eight weeks and see if there is any improvement. If not we will need to do a test which requires anesthetizing, to see if the collapsed lung is operable and should be removed. I’ll keep you all posted.

The day that we have been waiting for since 2014 has finally arrived. Last week we sold the dining room table from our old house. A woman who restores antique furniture purchased it and she promised to send a photo of the reborn table set. Today we sold our last curio cabinet, and the recliner and bar stools are listed on Craigslist or free. We’ve received a few inquiries so far.

Tomorrow we will be meeting with the contractor to talk about renovation and he will be writing us up a quote to get it ready for new renters. I just hope that we will have the money to pay him!

I have a new trip to WDW in the works, did anyone notice my new Ticker? In 2010 we took my parents to WDW for their first trip. Ever since then my Dad has been asking when we’re going back. My Mom not quite so much, but with the Flower & Garden Festival we were able to entice her into going. You see she grows Iris in her yard. It’s practically a botanical garden. She has little museum tags in front of all her plants describing what type of Iris they are. She is a member of the Iris Society and the Chrysanthemum Club in San Jose. In fact she won several awards a couple weeks ago for her Iris that she entered into a contest. So we’re going in Mid March next year, and staying at the Beach Club. I’ve already started overwhelming them with things like asking where they would like to dine our first night. I limited them to restaurants at the Beach Club, Yacht Club, and Boardwalk and so far they’re already stumped. I did get them to sign up for MDE accounts and become part of my Friends and Family. My goal is to have them work with me to pick out the restaurants for ADRs before the cruise in August because our 180 day mark is two weeks after we return from that trip. I want it all locked down before I leave because we have so much going on (potentially) when we get back I won’t have time to deal with deciding on dinner reservations.

This month we have a trip to Kansas City planned and it is related to our International Band Organization. We are spending the last week in May, part band work and part fun. We will hopefully fit in a trip to Marceline while we’re there, after the band portion is finished.

I’m also hoping that in July we can take a few days to get up to my parent’s house. We haven’t been up there since Christmas a year and a half ago. Our clearing out of the old apartment has been hanging over our heads and now that the place will be undergoing renovation we can take a break. Originally our plan was to go to Vegas, but anyone who knows about weather in the Summer knows that it would be silly to plan a trip to Vegas now. Maybe in October, after we get back from our cruise trip in Aug-September. We’ll have to see if we have any money left then!

Regarding the Cruise trip, in a couple days we have to pay in full for the trip and then we can book excursions, dining and all the other stuff. We really have no business doing this, but I’m not sure when we will ever be able to go on another cruise so I don’t want to cancel it. I’m sure we will sell enough stuff on eBay to eventually cover everything we need, but I just hope that we can do it in time for what we need.

Back to the Bonus features!

Our last visits to Disneyland were during the Christmas Holiday Season. We had a day trip out to the park for a little Fried Chicken, but first we stopped to admire some holiday decorations.

x17DL1210DL01.jpg

And meet up with our favorite mice.

x17DL1210DL02.jpg

Before enjoying our Chicken Dinner and a Holiday Yule Log cake.

x17DL1210DL03.jpg

A few days later we had a weekend booked at the VGC. Both Jenny and Jill had booked rooms at the hotel and we planned to hang out together most of the weekend. This was going to be a low budget weekend so no planned reservations at swanky restaurants. The first night I have no idea what we actually ate because there are no pictures of any food, with the exception of some beignets the following day.

We decided to get in a few rides that night and the first one was Guardians of the Galaxy.

x17DL1216DL03.jpg

Then we hopped over to Radiator Springs Racers for a fun ride!

x17DL1216DL04.jpg

Because we had a villa, breakfast was from the room, and no photos of that. I’m not sure what Jenny did that morning, but she wasn’t with us as we made our way around DL. There were some special Peppermint Holiday Beignets at the Mint Julep Bar and we got a three pack to split between Jill, Fran and I.

x17DL1216DL01.jpg

x17DL1216DL02.jpg

These Beignets were among my favorite for the Holiday flavors they have offered so far!

Then Jill and I rode Space Mountain. I think it was right around this time that we discovered the special Star Wars purses that were just released at DL and online.

x17DL1216DL05.jpg

At this point we had to make a decision. The plan for the evening was to cook dinner on the grills downstairs and have dinner in the villa. Tri tip, Baked Potatoes and Caesar Salad. Jenny’s DH had recently been hired at the GCH and he was going to take his lunch break and have dinner with the family and all of us.

We really wanted to visit the kiosks, but we also really wanted to go to Trader Sams, we only had time for one of the two activities. In hindsight the kiosks would have been the wiser choice, but when have we been known to choose wisely?

Jill and I went over there by ourselves first and waited, for about 10-15 minutes until we were able to swoop in and grab a table for four. She had the Krakatoa Punch.

x17DL1216DL06.jpg

I had the Mosquito Mojito, which was not bad at all.

x17DL1216DL07.jpg

Jill was smart enough to recognize that we needed some food to go along with our drinks and ordered these Panko Crusted Long Beans. They’re always a good snack option because frying vegetables always makes them taste better!

x17DL1216DL08.jpg

Fran joined us when we were ready to order our second drink and she got the Holiday Tiki Mug drink, and so did Jill and I. They served us the drinks in a regular glass so that we could take home clean mugs. It was an apple based drink and I found this description on the Disney Food Blog.

“Sam’s Slay Ride at Trader Sam’s Enchanted Tiki Bar (Disneyland Hotel): The honey whiskey liqueur and a hint of cinnamon is the key to this delightful concoction. Hang out in the boisterous bar or take it outdoors to the torch-lit terrace. The Pu Pu Platter or Panko-crusted Chinese Long Beans are the perfect complement.”

I’m glad to know we picked the right pairing to go along with it!

x17DL1216DL09.jpg

This was the mug. I stole this picture from the Interwebs.

x17DL1216DL12.jpg

We had yet another round of drinks. Fran got a repeat of the Christmas drink with a mug, and Jill and I tried different drinks. I believe she may have ordered the Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Rum

x17DL1216DL10.jpg

While I ordered the HippopotoMaiTai.

x17DL1216DL11.jpg

After this we paid our bill and stumbled back to the Grand Californian. I sent Jill up to Jenny’s room to start the potatoes. I had skewered them earlier (before we left for Trader Sam’s) with my potato nails, so that they would cook evenly. I went down to the BBQ grills to start the Tri Tip. Jenny had secured the Utensils from the front desk, as I had forgotten to bring mine from home. Fran was too tired from the drinks and decided just to go to bed early.

Unfortunately I don’t have any pictures to post, but I could always dig up old pictures of Tri Tip since I’ve made it for previous DISmeets. For those of you who are not Californians, Tri Tip is a cut of sirloin made famous in the Santa Maria Valley of CA. It was introduced in the 1950s. Prior to that most people used it for stews or ground beef. It’s a perfect cut of meat for grilling and you can feed a bunch of people with one steak. Just last week Jenny’s DH cooked up two of them, seven of us enjoyed the meat, and there was leftovers for their kids to eat while they were going to be gone most of the weekend.

Anyways, Jenny and Jill joined me as I grilled the meat, and we discovered one important point about the grills at the Grand CA. They are on timers and the gas turns off after period of time. Since the Trip Tip cooks on high heat for 5 mins per side and then covered on low indirect heat for the next 15 minutes or so, none of us realized that the flame had gone out and the meat was still quite rare. It was nearing “break time” so they went upstairs and prepared the salad while I babysat the meat a while longer. They prepped the potatoes and I finally came up with the meat all wrapped in foil. It was another few minutes before “the guest of honor” arrived and the meat had mostly cooked. It’s good that most of us like our meat pretty rare. That one Tri Tip fed seven of us along with the baked potatoes and Caesar salad. I even took enough back to my room so that Fran could have a sandwich with the last couple slices.

Our plan was to have a drink with Michael when he got off work around 10PM, but none of us could make it that late and we ended up crashing before he even got off work.

It was this weekend that Star Wars the Force Awakens opened. Jill, Michael, and Jenny’s DS all went to see the 9:30AM showing of the movie while Fran and I took our time checking out. I think Jenny actually had to go back home to let the Dog out and came back so that we could all meet up for lunch. We had a reservation for Tortilla Jo’s and since I forgot to take pictures of what we did, I’m recycling some old pictures. I know that we did the tableside Guacamole because we always do!

x17DL1216DL13.jpg

And I’m going to guess that we ordered Fajitas, if we ordered something different I don’t have a picture, so just imagine that’s what we had.

x17DL1216DL14.jpg

After that, we dropped Jill off at the airport and headed back to our home. Jenny was starting her new job the next day and also had to go home. She was slightly a basket case over the weekend because she had no idea what to expect with the new job. She has at least settled in and likes her job location.

Jill made it safely home as did we!

In our last IRL update we learned the Amelia/Berlioz was a he not a she,

Great balls of fire!

The pneumonia in his lungs is improving.

This is good...

But there has been no improvement on his collapsed lung.

...but this is not so good.

If not we will need to do a test which requires anesthetizing, to see if the collapsed lung is operable and should be removed. I’ll keep you all posted.

Good Lord! Yes, please keep us posted.

Ever since then my Dad has been asking when we’re going back.

:goodvibes Drank the Disney cool-aid did he?

She has little museum tags in front of all her plants describing what type of Iris they are.

Really!

In fact she won several awards a couple weeks ago for her Iris that she entered into a contest.

Good for her!! Congrats!

I’ve already started overwhelming them with things like asking where they would like to dine our first night. I limited them to restaurants at the Beach Club, Yacht Club, and Boardwalk and so far they’re already stumped.

:laughing: Oh dear....

We will hopefully fit in a trip to Marceline while we’re there, after the band portion is finished.

That sounds interesting. Have you been before?

We had a day trip out to the park for a little Fried Chicken,

mmm.... Plaza fried chicken...

I really like this. :)

If only they'd still had that Yule Log cake in April!

There were some special Peppermint Holiday Beignets at the Mint Julep Bar

Man that sounds good.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you're in there somewhere.

;)

We really wanted to visit the kiosks, but we also really wanted to go to Trader Sams, we only had time for one of the two activities.

Decisions, decisions....

In hindsight the kiosks would have been the wiser choice, but when have we been known to choose wisely?

:laughing: Why am I not surprised?

Panko Crusted Long Beans.

Interesting. They look pretty tasty.

“Sam’s Slay Ride at Trader Sam’s Enchanted Tiki Bar (Disneyland Hotel): The honey whiskey liqueur and a hint of cinnamon is the key to this delightful concoction.

1. I think that might be something I'd like.
2. Interesting weigh to spell slay. :rolleyes1

That's a pretty cool mug. ::yes::

Tri Tip is a cut of sirloin made famous in the Santa Maria Valley of CA.

I have heard of Tri Tip (and not just from you), but I didn't know that's where it was made famous.

we discovered one important point about the grills at the Grand CA. They are on timers and the gas turns off after period of time.

I can see that as a recipe for preventing fires.... and creating a lot of unhappy cookers/diners.

Hmm...I would say basket case was pretty fitting. :blush: :lmao:

Super fun weekend as usual spending time with you ladies. I love us! :grouphug:

The pneumonia in his lungs is improving. He is on two types of kitty inahalers twice daily. But there has been no improvement on his collapsed lung. We are going to continue his treatment and see the vet in another six to eight weeks and see if there is any improvement. If not we will need to do a test which requires anesthetizing, to see if the collapsed lung is operable and should be removed. I’ll keep you all posted.

Oh dear, poor little guy. Hopefully he will make a full recovery soon.

I have a new trip to WDW in the works, did anyone notice my new Ticker?

Yay for a new ticker.

We will hopefully fit in a trip to Marceline while we’re there, after the band portion is finished.

That sounds like fun.

but first we stopped to admire some holiday decorations.

x17DL1210DL01.jpg

This looks amazing.

And meet up with our favorite mice.

x17DL1210DL02.jpg

I hope they will be in this costume this holiday season.

Jill was smart enough to recognize that we needed some food to go along with our drinks and ordered these Panko Crusted Long Beans. They’re always a good snack option because frying vegetables always makes them taste better!

I love those.

The honey whiskey liqueur and a hint of cinnamon is the key to this delightful concoction.

That sounds delicious.

Corinna

I think I would be in Fran's condition and napping after so many drinks at Trader Sam's. Your food description left my mouth watering even without pictures.

Keep us posted on the kitty - hoping he makes a quick recovery! :hug:

Yay!!!

This month we have a trip to Kansas City planned and it is related to our International Band Organization.
How exciting!

We will hopefully fit in a trip to Marceline while we’re there
Oooh, I sure hope you're able to do Marceline. That's on my bucket list! :thumbsup2

OK, so I seem to be saying this before every update that I post, and I know that I still have a few more TRs to catch up on, but it’s been a while since I’ve updated with Bonus features and this one has been in the hopper for a while now. I promise that I will be over to your TRs before the next update, and hopefully even sooner than that!

Looks like you got there! :)

My turn now...

If not we will need to do a test which requires anesthetizing, to see if the collapsed lung is operable and should be removed. I’ll keep you all posted.

Oh dear. Poor kitteh!

I didn't! But see it now! My ticker's going up soon!

You see she grows Iris in her yard.

We have an annual Iris Festival here too, and I was contemplating going this year. Alas, I think it's yard work until Mikki's graduation. But Iris will always remind me of my Grandma's yard.

We are spending the last week in May, part band work and part fun. We will hopefully fit in a trip to Marceline while we’re there, after the band portion is finished.

Well, that would be fun!! I hope you get there!

Regarding the Cruise trip, in a couple days we have to pay in full for the trip and then we can book excursions, dining and all the other stuff. We really have no business doing this, but I’m not sure when we will ever be able to go on another cruise so I don’t want to cancel it. I’m sure we will sell enough stuff on eBay to eventually cover everything we need, but I just hope that we can do it in time for what we need.

I hope you can sell tons!

I LOVE Minnie's spats with this outfit! :lovestruc

We really wanted to visit the kiosks, but we also really wanted to go to Trader Sams, we only had time for one of the two activities. In hindsight the kiosks would have been the wiser choice, but when have we been known to choose wisely?

I dunno, this sounds like a toss up to me. A win-win!

While I ordered the HippopotoMaiTai.

Good choice!!! :thumbsup2

I know that we did the tableside Guacamole because we always do!

I've always been intrigued by this. Need to try it someday!

We are going to continue his treatment and see the vet in another six to eight weeks and see if there is any improvement. If not we will need to do a test which requires anesthetizing, to see if the collapsed lung is operable and should be removed. I’ll keep you all posted.

Wow, that doesn't sound fun. Hope he recovers.

Hooray! :banana::cool1::woohoo:

This month we have a trip to Kansas City planned and it is related to our International Band Organization. We are spending the last week in May, part band work and part fun. We will hopefully fit in a trip to Marceline while we’re there, after the band portion is finished.

Make sure you get some BBQ while you're there!

There were some special Peppermint Holiday Beignets at the Mint Julep Bar and we got a three pack to split between Jill, Fran and I.

Peppermint beignets! Julie would be in heaven.

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

They’re always a good snack option because frying vegetables always makes them taste better!

This is true. Deep-frying makes just about anything better.

That's a cool mug!

Unfortunately I don’t have any pictures to post, but I could always dig up old pictures of Tri Tip since I’ve made it for previous DISmeets. For those of you who are not Californians, Tri Tip is a cut of sirloin made famous in the Santa Maria Valley of CA. It was introduced in the 1950s.

You know, I think I actually do remember that from one of your earlier TR's.

They are on timers and the gas turns off after period of time. Since the Trip Tip cooks on high heat for 5 mins per side and then covered on low indirect heat for the next 15 minutes or so, none of us realized that the flame had gone out and the meat was still quite rare.

D'oh.

And I’m going to guess that we ordered Fajitas, if we ordered something different I don’t have a picture, so just imagine that’s what we had.

Hey, this is great! Just add some exploding helicopters and it'll be just like one of my TR's!:thumbsup2

In our last IRL update we learned the Amelia/Berlioz was a he not a she, but I forgot to give a real update on his health issues. The pneumonia in his lungs is improving. He is on two types of kitty inahalers twice daily. But there has been no improvement on his collapsed lung. We are going to continue his treatment and see the vet in another six to eight weeks and see if there is any improvement. If not we will need to do a test which requires anesthetizing, to see if the collapsed lung is operable and should be removed. I’ll keep you all posted.

Aw, hope he is doing better. Do you have pet insurance?

I have a new trip to WDW in the works, did anyone notice my new Ticker? In 2010 we took my parents to WDW for their first trip. Ever since then my Dad has been asking when we’re going back. My Mom not quite so much, but with the Flower & Garden Festival we were able to entice her into going. You see she grows Iris in her yard. It’s practically a botanical garden. She has little museum tags in front of all her plants describing what type of Iris they are. She is a member of the Iris Society and the Chrysanthemum Club in San Jose. In fact she won several awards a couple weeks ago for her Iris that she entered into a contest. So we’re going in Mid March next year, and staying at the Beach Club. I’ve already started overwhelming them with things like asking where they would like to dine our first night. I limited them to restaurants at the Beach Club, Yacht Club, and Boardwalk and so far they’re already stumped. I did get them to sign up for MDE accounts and become part of my Friends and Family. My goal is to have them work with me to pick out the restaurants for ADRs before the cruise in August because our 180 day mark is two weeks after we return from that trip. I want it all locked down before I leave because we have so much going on (potentially) when we get back I won’t have time to deal with deciding on dinner reservations.

Yay! Flower and Garden, my favorite time! I think you should go with your gut and try for Al Forno. Or Yachtsman. Even if you don't want a heavy meal they have nice salads, appetizers and sides which could easily make up a meal without the steak.

Have a great time! Remember, don't use the hot tub! :lmao:
Hope you make it to Marceline!

Somehow we all find ways to go on trips and cruises we don't really NEED but really WANT to be on, LOL.

x17DL1210DL03.jpg

Oh yum! That looks like a perfect platter of food!

x17DL1216DL02.jpg

These Beignets were among my favorite for the Holiday flavors they have offered so far!

How cute! For the Star Wars After Dark event they had Red and Dark Blue sugar dusted beignets. I would have tried some but the line was too long!

“Sam’s Slay Ride at Trader Sam’s Enchanted Tiki Bar (Disneyland Hotel): The honey whiskey liqueur and a hint of cinnamon is the key to this delightful concoction. Hang out in the boisterous bar or take it outdoors to the torch-lit terrace. The Pu Pu Platter or Panko-crusted Chinese Long Beans are the perfect complement.”

I’m glad to know we picked the right pairing to go along with it!

That sounds nice and festive! Good to know that it went well with your long beans! Are the menus the same at both World and DL?

Unfortunately I don’t have any pictures to post, but I could always dig up old pictures of Tri Tip since I’ve made it for previous DISmeets. For those of you who are not Californians, Tri Tip is a cut of sirloin made famous in the Santa Maria Valley of CA. It was introduced in the 1950s. Prior to that most people used it for stews or ground beef. It’s a perfect cut of meat for grilling and you can feed a bunch of people with one steak. Just last week Jenny’s DH cooked up two of them, seven of us enjoyed the meat, and there was leftovers for their kids to eat while they were going to be gone most of the weekend.

I didn't know tri-tip was such a California thing. It's not too common here but I've seen it at some barbecue places and some sandwich shops. Good to know it feeds a lot of people! I'll have to think of it for family BBQs for my big Ohana!

Well he has a collapsed lung so thats not good.

It seems I have been absent much longer than I thought. I hope he’s doing better and won’t need surgery.

Great news about the apartment, sounds like things are moving along. Glad someone who appreciates antiques got the table.

Fun weekend with the ladies! How cool Jenny’s DH is now at GCH!!!

So I’ve been off the grid. It’s been quite a busy last week for me. I promise that I'll get to responses, your TRs, and the next update as soon as I can, but I thought I would share these past few days while it's it's still fresh in my mind.

I'm sure a few of you know about how we like to take trips for our annual band conference for our parent organization. Each year a different band (or two) bids for the conference two years out and that selection is made during the Assembly of Delegates during the current conference. A lot of “business" is conducted at these functions, and those who are on the Board of Directors serve as much as 20 hours in meetings over the course of 5 days, while the Delegates only have to attend 4 hours of meetings over two days. For this conference, which took place in Kansas City, MO, Fran and I served as delegates. This was our first time in five years having served this duty. In addition to the meetings, the other conference attendees (most of whom are not Board members or Delegates) join us in a Big Gay concert! But I get ahead of myself, let me give you a whirlwind synopsis of the weekend.

Tuesday night we had band. Why we went? I don't know. Our flight left at 7:30AM the next morning and while we were mostly packed, we still had more to do. Even though we left the rehearsal early at the break, and we packed as efficiently as we could, we were still awake all night until 3:30AM when we had to leave for the airport. Fran says I fell asleep before we left and I believe her, but I never changed out of my clothes from Tuesday before we left. I was in such a fog that I don't remember much about the airport check in, security or boarding process.

I did catch a small nap on the plane, enough that I was able function at a low level when we landed. I left Fran with the luggage curbside at the terminal while I took the shuttle to the rental car depot. It took forever, and this is THE LAST time I use Budget, ever. But soon I was on my way back to the terminal with a Mitsubishi Outlander. I had to You Tube the process for making the seats flat, but finally after great difficulty we were loaded up and on our way to the hotel. We did grab a hot dog and cheeseburger from a Sonic Drive through on our way since it had been a long time since the pepperoni pizza we got for breakfast at LAX.

Once we checked into our room, we did the process of checking in for the conference. There were two booths and in my lack-of-sleep-haze, I got totally confused. One was for the conference we were attending, the other was taking registrants for next year's conference in Orlando. I was embarrassed to see folks I know from meeting every year or other year while wearing stinky clothes I’d been in for the last 24 hours or more. But oh well, hopefully no one noticed. Fran signed us up for next year’s event while I took care of the current year. Finally we could go up to the room and take a nappy poo! I was way too tired and out of it to take pictures of the room, but I found this on the website and this was essentially our room.

q18LGBA052403.jpeg

Because I was the 50th person to register for this conference, I was supposed to receive a Gift Card for a local BBQ place, but unfortunately it was not waiting for me at the registration desk as promised. I had planned to go there that night, so we had a change in plans, we ended up at the place which came recommended by @jedijill, Joe's Kansas City BBQ. I got the ribs and brisket, while Fran got a pit boss salad. Smoked beef, ham and turkey over lettuce. I washed mine down with an Angry Orchard Cider. She was thrilled they had Diet Mtn Dew on tap. Both were absolutely delicious! I took my leftovers home and ate them over two different meals during the week.

q18LGBA052301.jpg

There was a grocery store just across the street, which was perfect to stock up on water, soda and breakfast supplies for the next few days. It was going to be quite a wild ride.

We still had a little calm before the storm. Our first real commitment wasn't until 6PM the next day so we decided to have a leisurely breakfast at the cafe in the hotel. We were joined by our conductor, Justin who ordered the Oatmeal Brulee.

q18LGBA052406.jpg

I got a Belgian Waffle with a side of bacon, it was really good and filling, plus the bacon was amazing, crispy, salty and soooooo good!

q18LGBA052404.jpg

q18LGBA052405.jpg

Fran got a Croque Madame and really liked it.

q18LGBA052403.jpg

The prices here for breakfast weren't all that bad. However for every other meal it was crazy. And the next day, my Americano was actually Six bucks! @Steppesister.

I think after breakfast we just kicked it in the room mostly. Check out our view.

q18LGBA052401.jpg

I did walk a few blocks to the CVS for a few things we forgot the night before, and I read a few TRs before we headed down for a late lunch. We split French Onion Soup.

q18LGBA052407.jpg

And a Kansas City Strip. It totally hit the spot, just enough to get us through rehearsal, but not enough to make us sluggish.

q18LGBA052408.jpg

Rehearsal went well, the music was much more difficult than I expected. Our conductor Justin got to conduct the very first piece on the concert. I stole this picture off of Facebook. I’m the one on the right side of the picture with hair. Fran is the one whose head is in Justin’s belly. :laughing:

q18LGBA052402.jpg

Rehearsal was intense and by the end we were hungry and I definitely needed a drink. This was one of those cases where I needed a real drink and not just a glass of wine. There were a couple of friends from Palm Springs who were there, one was the conductor of the second piece on the concert and his flight got delayed. He literally walked into the rehearsal as we were about 20 bars into his piece (with another conductor obviously) and took over the rehearsal. So we all agreed to get a drink and some food at the hotel restaurant (they are sucking up all of our money at this point!) No pictures, but I got some lamb meatballs with marinara sauce and provolone, Fran had some breaded and fried goat cheese and we split a salad with one of our friends, they had the KC strip loin between the two of them. Then Fran and I had dessert. Mine was an apple crumble which was quite good. I forget what she got. However we all had a couple of stiff drinks, and I feel asleep quite nicely when my head hit the pillow. Tomorrow would be a long day.

Friday was the first Delegates meeting. At first we thought it started at 8:30, but they sent out an update around 8AM that it would start at 9AM. I was just about to leave the room then so it was good I got the notice beforehand. We both ate our prepurchased breakfasts of fruit, cheese ($1.49), and V8 ($2.44 for the bottle of 6 servings) for me. Yogurt, banana (not sure the cost but less than $2) and V8 for her. Much better than the $9-17 breakfasts in the hotel restaurant. And quicker. We also had some Ritz Peanut butter cracker sandwiches in case our blood sugar dipped during the meetings. This was the morning that I spent $6 on a cup of coffee at the hotel restaurant. Little did I know that they had a full coffee set up in the delegates room. Lesson learned. The next two hours were spent in a room very similar to this discussing riveting subjects like bylaws, new candidates for the board and such.

q18LGBA052502.jpeg

We did get to find out about the 2020 conference which will be taking place in Portland OR. And soon we were off to yet another rehearsal in a room much like this.

q18LGBA052503.jpeg

Rehearsal ended at 1PM and there was a lunch break for an hour. If you were attending the presentation at 2PM you got a free boxed lunch (sandwich, chips, orzo salad, apple and cookie) and beverage, and we ate our lunches in the delegates room while we waited for the presentation. It was a series of 5 minute, 20 slide power point presentations. Some were amusing, some were dull, but it was what it was, we got free lunch.

Then it was back to the rehearsal room for another few hours. We were supposed to be done by 5PM, but none of these things ever end on time and it was more like 5:30 when we were done.

I rewarded myself with a glass of wine when I got back to the room.

q18LGBA052501.jpg

In case you’re wondering about the “old fart” ribbon, this was sort of a backlash to the ribbons that they give out reading, “First Timer”. One guy thought it would be funny to recognize people who have attended like 10 or more of these events. Hence the “Old Fart”.

Later that night there was a Gala party event complete with catered BBQ, but between the long day and the fact that they didn't start serving the food until close to 9:30PM, we ended up leaving before it was served.

The next morning came rather early, we had another meeting at 9AM. After more discussion on bylaws and other minutiae, we finally got to vote on new officers, amendments to bylaws, and the location of the next conference. Considering there was only one bid, Portland OR was the choice, hands down.

We had a little bit of a break maybe an hour, before our next commitment. This was a dress rehearsal at the concert venue. Now for most folks there was no reason to rent a car, as our hosts had bus service to the Gala, the rehearsal and performance. The day before I had asked if the busses would be able to accommodate the scooter and was told, probably not. So we drove to last night's party. That was nice because we could leave earlier than the end of the party at 10:30-11PM. But today driving proved to be a problem. We couldn't find a good place to park, the weather was awful, 97 degrees and humid. And well let's just say that it was one of those moments that tests your strength as a couple. We parked a couple blocks away and trudged up a hill into rehearsal. The hall was impressive.

q18LGBA052603.jpg

q18LGBA052601.jpg

q18LGBA052602.jpg

q18LGBA052604.jpg

I really wanted to avoid the drama of the afternoon this evening and Fran was willing to walk everywhere so that she could ride the bus to the concert that night. I decided to try and find out if they would put her scooter under the bus like they do with DME, and they could! We still had to drive back to the hotel this afternoon, and luckily some friends took pity on me and gave me a ride to the car a few blocks away cause it was still 97° out! :eek:

Back at the hotel we had an hour or so to kill before we had to get dressed for the concert and catch the bus. And soon it was show time. But first an obligatory photo shoot outside this iconic building.

q18LGBA052605.jpg

Before the concert we like to take pictures with our section. Here's the Alto saxes.

q18LGBA052607.jpg

Because these conferences have become so popular, about three years ago they started having to make two separate bands. Each performing half of the concert. There's usually 150 people in each band. Our band was the first to take the stage. I stole this picture from our FB group.

q18LGBA052606.jpg

The concert went great! The audience loved it and we sounded pretty good as did the other band. We even got this review.

https://kcmetropolis.org/article/no-place-like-home/

Back at the hotel, I was starving and had researched places that were open late (between 1-3AM). But no one wanted to go out with me, either too tired, not hungry, or both. So I ordered a cup of onion soup from room service and a side of potatoes gratin. I let my ribs and brisket leftovers come to room temp (no microwave in the room) while I waited for the order to arrive. When it did arrive Fran had enough of an appetite to eat half the soup. I ate a little brisket, a rib and half and about three bites of the potatoes. They were gross. They were a grayish purple color as if the cook had let them sit out and they had oxidized before cooking. But between all those other items I had enough in my belly that I wouldn't go to sleep hungry, and soon I drifted off to sleep. It had only been about 54 hours since our first rehearsal, but it felt like almost forever. We barely had any time to stop and think while we were awake!

The next morning we were switching hotels for a much more relaxing set of adventures. We woke up with enough time to pack up before check out. After checking out we had a lovely breakfast at Ellys Brunch and Cafe around the corner from our hotel. If you're ever in the area, I highly recommend it! Then we made a trip to Costco. We weren't going to buy anything, but when we found locally made ice wine for $12 per bottle and realized that they make wine in MO, we couldn't resist trying a few bottles. Then when they were sampling key lime pie, I'd been saying that I needed to try it, we came home with a lot more than we intended!

q18LGBA052701.jpg

By this time it was close to the time when our new room would be ready so we headed towards the new hotel. I'm going to save the rest of that trip and my BBQ quest for future bonus features!

So I’ve been off the grid. It’s been quite a busy last week for me.

We've missed you!

Our flight left at 7:30AM the next morning and while we were mostly packed, we still had more to do.

I'm seeing a pattern here... ;)

It took forever, and this is THE LAST time I use Budget,

Just be like me and forget who you used last and it won't matter. Mostly, they all suck anyway.

The prices here for breakfast weren't all that bad. However for every other meal it was crazy. And the next day, my Americano was actually Six bucks! @Steppesister.

Heh, they took good lessons from $ixbucks!!!

This was one of those cases where I needed a real drink and not just a glass of wine.

Some days are just like that.

This was the morning that I spent $6 on a cup of coffee at the hotel restaurant.

OUCH.

We did get to find out about the 2020 conference which will be taking place in Portland OR.

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Later that night there was a Gala party event complete with catered BBQ, but between the long day and the fact that they didn't start serving the food until close to 9:30PM, we ended up leaving before it was served.

9:30? I'd have been .. hangry.

And well let's just say that it was one of those moments that tests your strength as a couple.

ruh ruh.... :headache:

The concert went great! The audience loved it and we sounded pretty good as did the other band. We even got this review.

:cheer2:

We have eaten at Joe's before and you are right it is really good. It has been so hot here in this part of the country. I am in Omaha about 2 1/2 -3 hours (depending on where you are going in KC) north and we have all ready had a few days reach 100 and expected to reach it again on Friday. Looking forward to more when you have time.

Woot Woot! You are in my hometown! The Kaufmann Center is fairly new and really is a wonderful addition to KC. Hopefully it cools down before I go there in a couple of weeks!

Jill in CO

So I’ve been off the grid.

You told me you were on facebook (and no, I haven't had a chance t look yet) so not quite off the grid. :)

For this conference, which took place in Kansas City, MO, Fran and I served as delegates.

So no 20 hours of meetings. Considering what you've described in this update, it sounds like that was a good thing.

This was our first time in five years having served this duty.

What did you mean by this? That before you had no duties other than performing? Or you were on the board?

join us in a Big Gay concert!

A big happy concert! Yay!

Actually.... after reading the article you linked... it sounds like that is exactly what it was! :goodvibes

we were still awake all night until 3:30AM when we had to leave for the airport.

Ugh! The worst.

I was in such a fog that I don't remember much about the airport check in, security or boarding process.

Oh, I can help you out there.
You did check in. You made it through security and eventually boarded the plane.

You're welcome.

I did catch a small nap on the plane, enough that I was able function at a low level when we landed

What would "low level" functioning be?
Breathing and a heart beat?

I took the shuttle to the rental car depot. It took forever, and this is THE LAST time I use Budget, ever.

Hmmm... is it because the shuttle took so long? Or were there other issues?

I was embarrassed to see folks I know from meeting every year or other year while wearing stinky clothes I’d been in for the last 24 hours or more.

If you knew them, then I'm sure they got what was going on, or... they didn't notice.

Because I was the 50th person to register for this conference, I was supposed to receive a Gift Card for a local BBQ place,

Did you ever get it?

I got the ribs and brisket, while Fran got a pit boss salad. Smoked beef, ham and turkey over lettuce.

Dang.... I want to eat all of that.
I noticed the coleslaw in the photo. How was that? I'm a bit of a coleslaw snob.

I washed mine down with an Angry Orchard Cider.

That sounds good! Was it?

Justin who ordered the Oatmeal Brulee.

Never heard of that. Huh! And... why not? I might do that the next time I have oatmeal.

Fran got a Croque Madame and really liked it.

Just need to scrape the weeds off of it and it's good to go. :rolleyes:

. And the next day, my Americano was actually Six bucks!

Not bad considering it came with lifetime free refills.

It did, right?

Right?

Hello?

Check out our view.

Not too shabby!

We split French Onion Soup.

No.

Someone reaches over with a spoon to "split" my French Onion Soup is going to pull back a stub.

Rehearsal went well, the music was much more difficult than I expected.

The article mentioned that too.

I’m the one on the right side of the picture with hair. Fran is the one whose head is in Justin’s belly. :laughing:

:laughing:

Very descriptive! I had no problem finding you both. :)

This was one of those cases where I needed a real drink and not just a glass of wine.

So... water?

Then Fran and I had dessert. Mine was an apple crumble which was quite good. I forget what she got.

It doesn't matter what she got. Let's get back to the apple crumble!!!

:cloud9:

This was the morning that I spent $6 on a cup of coffee at the hotel restaurant. Little did I know that they had a full coffee set up in the delegates room.

:headache: D'oh!

The next two hours were spent in a room very similar to this discussing riveting subjects like bylaws, new candidates for the board and such.

Riveting stuff.

We did get to find out about the 2020 conference which will be taking place in Portland OR.

Bet Liesa's happy to hear that. :)

Some were amusing, some were dull, but it was what it was, we got free lunch.

There ain't no such thing as a free... oh.

Nevermind.

In case you’re wondering about the “old fart” ribbon, this was sort of a backlash to the ribbons that they give out reading, “First Timer”. One guy thought it would be funny to recognize people who have attended like 10 or more of these events. Hence the “Old Fart”.

:laughing:
I did look at that photo for a bit and wondered about it.

So did you not eat anything that night?

And well let's just say that it was one of those moments that tests your strength as a couple.

:hug:

Happens.

The hall was impressive.

It certainly is! Beautiful, too! That organ. Wow! Loved it even more with the colours. (read about it being usually grey, too.)

I decided to try and find out if they would put her scooter under the bus like they do with DME, and they could!

Yusss!

We still had to drive back to the hotel this afternoon, and luckily some friends took pity on me and gave me a ride to the car a few blocks away cause it was still 97° out! :eek:

:faint: Too hot! Spontaneous combustion territory!

But first an obligatory photo shoot outside this iconic building.

Gorgeous building.

Here's the Alto saxes.

Nice looking group.

https://kcmetropolis.org/article/no-place-like-home/

Very nice review! What was your favourite piece? Fantasia?

I ate a little brisket, a rib and half and about three bites of the potatoes. They were gross. They were a grayish purple color as if the cook had let them sit out and they had oxidized before cooking.

Gross is right. Yuck.

Then when they were sampling key lime pie, I'd been saying that I needed to try it, we came home with a lot more than we intended!

You still need to try really good Key Lime pie. Store bought just ain't gonna cut it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter