The Running Thread - 2018

I guess I better join in (finally). @LSUlakes please add the following upcoming races for me as well as previous races:

Upcoming:
9/29/18 - Smilelea - 10th Annual Baby Steps Memorial Run 5K (NG)
11/17/18 - Smilelea - Crosspoint 5K (NG)
1/12/19 - Smilelea - WDW half marathon (NG)

Completed:
3/24/18 - Smilelea - 10th Annual Rumpshaker 5K (NG/35:23)
4/21/18 - Smilelea - Steeple to Steeple 10K (1:12:00/1:10:42)

Friday QOTD: We are big fans of the pool bars. Our kids have always loved afternoon pool time after a busy morning in the parks, so with the ease of paying with a magic band, the beers are always flowing. And it's almost like you don't have to pay for them...almost...until that last day when you get your bill. o_Oo_O:scared1::scared1:
Same here - we love the pools, and we love to have a few drinks before we hit the parks, so our favorite is the pool bar at whatever resort we happen to be at on a specific trip.

Otherwise, my fave is enjoying a few drinks on our balcony with the kids sleeping inside.

Ditto. Though my only trip to WDW (to date) was at CR and we were upgraded to a theme park view (lots of pixie dust that time), so we got to watch the fireworks and the water parade while drinking some nice cold IPAs on the patio while our kiddo slept. I call that a win.

Watching this closely, though, because we're back again in November (same weekend as Wine & Dine, though I'm not running it)... looking forward to trying some of these places out!

If that counts, then does running through airports to catch flights count because I have ran through MANY AIRPORTS.

SAMESIES.

I’ve never been so happy to have a 4 hour layover flying home before. Only took 2 of those hours and one time stuck on payment page before I -gasp- signed up for my first Dopey (my first marathon too). I did it for all of you, since I’m a walker I’ll make everyone else look very fast :)
Back of the packers doing Dopey as part of their first marathon unite!

I love the question about lounges/bars :) I'm looking forward to trying out Nomad Lounge in January. So far, my favorite is probably Jock Lindsay's at Disney Springs. I've only been to the Edison once and it was soon after it opened. I enjoyed their late night entertainment and the drinks but the food was just hit and miss. But I'm sure they've worked on things since then so I'd love to try it again at some point.

Side note to the QOTD: I am finally going to the Tiki Bar in Disneyland in a few weeks!! (I know, I know.) And we will maybe try the new Lamplight Lounge (which used to be the Cove Bar). We are only spending a full day there though, so not sure how much we can pack in.

It's been a while and I have been hoarding people's updates, but this is the current list. We are well into the year and I know a bunch of you have been running like crazy (cough @KSellers88 cough) so let me know if I need to update any of your states!

View attachment 338113

I feel like I missed this.... may I join? The number of states that I've run in is pretty low, but I'm realizing that I may need to have alternate goals since I feel like the time goals aren't doing much for me. Travel goals work!

So far, I've run races in Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, Washington, D.C., Michigan, and South Carolina. I assume it's races and not just "where I've run". Thanks!

ATTQOTD:

La Cava, Trader Sams, Abracabar, Nomad, and any bar open during a Disney race.

@jennamfeo you can add Ohio and Arkansas (and EDIT Virginia) to my list. I'm going to have more to add come fall (NY, MI).

Edit - I was thinking of races, but I did run in VA - MCM goes thru both VA and DC.

@LSUlakes you can add me for Dopey too. Goal: all the character and drink stops, and a few rides.

Last edited:
@LSUlakes , relatively new to these boards so just learning the ropes here

Sept
22 - mtnmjd - Northwell Great South Bay Run - Half Marathon (2:10:00)
Nov
17 - mtnmjd - Spartan Sprint Long Island - 3-4 miles (NG, first one since coming off shoulder surgery)

Jan
10 - mtnmjd - WDW 5K (NG)
11 - mtnmjd - WDW 10K (NG)
12 - mtnmjd - WDW Half Marathon (NG)
13 - mtnmjd - WDW Marathon (NG)

ATTQOTD: Traders Sams once that first cocktail begins to kick in and I forget how much I am paying for the souvenir mugs that I feel the need to bring home....if not La Cava

ATTQOTD: My husband and I really like tiki bars so Trader Sam's has a special place in our hearts. We haven't actually made it into La Cava yet; I get sidetracked by the drinks to walk around Epcot with. There was a gin and watermelon and cucumber slushie as part of something with the garden show in April that was divine.

Thinking about states I have run at least one mile in: CA, AZ, NM, FL, NJ, NC, IL. I'll be adding WI next week, CO later this summer, and SC in the fall.

Countries I've managed US (duh), England, the Bahamas, and Japan.

I'm being lazy and I'll do my upcoming races next week.

Upon further review ... my current definitive Power Ranking of Bars/Lounges:

1. Hurricane Hannah's
2. Nomad Lounge
3. Trader Sam's
4. California Grill Lounge
5. Abracadabar
6. Dawa Bar
7. Ale & Compass Lounge
8. Top of the World
9. Tambu Lounge
10. La Cava de Tequila
11. BaseLine Taphouse
12. Brown Derby Lounge
13. Martha's Vineyard
14. Belle Vue Lounge
15. Jock Lindsay's Hangar Bar
16. Dockside Margaritas
17. Mizner's
18. Outer Rim
19. Victoria Falls
20. Rose & Crown Pub
21. Boathouse
22. Tune-In Lounge
23. bluezoo Lounge
24. The Wave Lounge
25. Leaping Horse Libations
26. Geyser Point
27. Paddlefish Rooftop
28. The Edison
29. Enzo's Hideaway
30. Stargazer's
31. Capa
32. Crew's Cup Lounge
33. Kimono's
34. Citrico's Lounge
35. Territory Lounge
36-Last Place: Various Bars at Mods and Values
Last Place: Wine Bar George

@LSUlakes
Jan
11-Zellyb-WDW 10K (@Keels booze stop)

This is the type of goals I want! Can I dream of a drink along the half?

Jan. 12 - TheHamm- WDW Half Marathon (Enjoy it!/ N/A)

Fun Friday QOTD: I'm working on my off Friday and I am not happy about it, plus my lack of sleep is catching up! So lets think of something that is needed after a long work week... a bar or lounge. What is your favorite bar or lounge to hang out or relax at while at WDW?

ATTQOTD: it his difficult to hang out and relax as we have always brought our kids to WDW, so I would have to choose Victoria Falls largely because DH stayed in the room with the tots while I went and met a friend for a drink- I like the amber, I like the liquor, and I like the atmosphere- and being able to take it out to the s'more roasting pit! When I tried to have drinks with friends on a previous trip at Meizners it took 30 minutes to get a drink- not OK. As for pool bars, we were big fans of the main pool bar at GF, they had a nice selection of not-IPAs. Also, the mark up on Chimay was less than other beverages so it felt better to drink that there. [Side note: my friend was working on a food & bev project and had a spreadsheet of what alcohol was shipped where in the parks, thus there was data to show GF as having one of the widest non-IPA beer selections] At DL I would probably pick Trader Sam's, but I would give runner up status to Wine Country Trattoria because even my kids were happy to chill there, people watch and color.
I am looking forward to January as it will be kid free, as much as I love Epcot's drink while walking, I have wanted to do Nomad's for awhile.

Upon further review ... my current definitive Power Ranking of Bars/Lounges:

1. Hurricane Hannah's
2. Nomad Lounge
3. Trader Sam's
4. California Grill Lounge
5. Abracadabar
6. Dawa Bar
7. Ale & Compass Lounge
8. Top of the World
9. Tambu Lounge
10. La Cava de Tequila
11. BaseLine Taphouse
12. Brown Derby Lounge
13. Martha's Vineyard
14. Belle Vue Lounge
15. Jock Lindsay's Hangar Bar
16. Dockside Margaritas
17. Mizner's
18. Outer Rim
19. Victoria Falls
20. Rose & Crown Pub
21. Boathouse
22. Tune-In Lounge
23. bluezoo Lounge
24. The Wave Lounge
25. Leaping Horse Libations
26. Geyser Point
27. Paddlefish Rooftop
28. The Edison
29. Enzo's Hideaway
30. Stargazer's
31. Capa
32. Crew's Cup Lounge
33. Kimono's
34. Citrico's Lounge
35. Territory Lounge
36-Last Place: Various Bars at Mods and Values
Last Place: Wine Bar George
WOW! Took you a total of 3 minutes to compile this list?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter